What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Sleepers (1 Viewer)

Despyzer

Lousy Attention Whore
The latest issue of The Sporting News (Apr. 28) lists a sleeper at every position and includes comments. I thought I'd share:

QB - Travis Lulay, Montana State: "He didn't play in a quarterback hotbed, bu he produced for four years. He has enough size and athleticism to be competitive in the NFL. Shows good throwing mechanics but free-lances too often. Doesn't always take care of the ball."

RB - De'Arrius Howard, Arkansas: "As a senior, he was beaten out by a freshman and he never led his team in rushing. But he has an NFL body and NFL skills. A natural runner with vision and instincts. Runs with power and breaks tackles."

WR - Domenik Hixon, Akron: - "He helped make Charlie Frye a star in '04 and produced last season, too. A great workout has gained him a lot of notice the past few weeks. A big productive receiver with speed. Shows good hands and toughness."

TE - Quinn Sypniewski, Colorado: - "He played behin Joe Klopfenstein at Colorado, but he could thrive in the NFL if he goes to a team that uses his blocking skills. Probably the best blocking TE in the draft. Could bulk up and play tackle.

OT - Paul McQuistan, Weber State: "He was a productive starter for the better part of four years and looked good in postseason all-star games. An effective in-line mauler who handles power rushers well. Will play RT or G."

G - Jahri Evans, Bloomsburg (where?): "If he can perform in the NFL like he did in Div. II, he'll be a Pro Bowl player. But he will need a couple of years to develop. A developmental player with good size. Adequate in pass protection but must be more aggressive."

C - no sleeper

DE - Jason Hatcher, Grambling State: "He's rough around the edges, but Hatcher has the size and athleticism teams are looking for. Big and athletic and has a closing burst. Must refine technique. A work in progress."

DT - Steve Williams, Northwest Missouri State: "Grabbed the scouts' attention with his all-star practices in Las Vegas, but he hasn't proved he can compete against top competition."

OLB - Terna Nande, Miami (Ohio): "He has the athleticism, speed, and strength of an elite prospect. If he could just put it all together on the field, he could blossom in the NFL. Makes up for lack of ideal size with athleticism and speed. Delivers big hits."

ILB - Freddy Keiaho, San Diego State: "A former RB, he didn't become a starter at LB until the '05 season. His hard hitting and his nose for the ball makes him a legitimate prospect. An undersized defender who sometimes gets engulfed, but he has some pop."

CB - Dion Byrnum, Ohio: "He has played well against the more talented receivers he has faced and the talent is there, but his man-to-man skills are still somewhat of an unkown. Has good ball skills and can get INTs but doesn't play as fast as his timed speed."

S - Antwan Marsh, Pikeville (where?): "It's a big jump from Pikeville to the NFL, but Marsh has the potential to develop, and safeties with his size and ability to hit are rare. Big, powerful player, who can close in a hurry but will face a huge transition in the NFL."

I just read the issue on the pooper, either the mag is way off on its rankings, or most people on this board are.

I just read the issue on the pooper, either the mag is way off on its rankings, or most people on this board are.
I noticed that too. They had Charlie Whitehurst as the #3 QB, Demetrius Willams as the #1 WR (with Chad Jackson at #3), Eric Winston as the #7 OT, DeMeco Ryans as the #7 OLB. :shrug: Who knows?

I noticed that too. They had Charlie Whitehurst as the #3 QB, Demetrius Willams as the #1 WR (with Chad Jackson at #3), Eric Winston as the #7 OT, DeMeco Ryans as the #7 OLB. :shrug: Who knows?
White as the #7 RB, Addai as #2Also, their big board and individual rankings are way off at spots, like Demetrius Williams.

good to see Howard getting some pub. I watched Byrum at the Shrine Game and it seemed like he couldnt cover anyone. Hixon is rising up my board with a bullet, and this isnt the first time ive heard hatcher mentioned as a sleeper.

It makes sense that magazines rankings are off, since it was written at least 2 months ago, before the combine and Senior Bowl.

Everyone having the same rankings makes me think of a Bill Walton line- "When everybody thinks the same way, no one thinks."

Live in the Poconos and follow local colleges. The kid from Bloomsburg is a beast! Another great player will be the fullback from East Stroudsburg University. I've seen him play! He can play at the next level! Usually only a couple of fullbacks get drafted but he has had workouts with 7 or 8 teams, and will make a team. He had 86 td's in college many as a receiver, and is a tank of a lead blocker. Remember the name Anthony Carfagno!

It makes sense that magazines rankings are off, since it was written at least 2 months ago, before the combine and Senior Bowl.
I highly doubt this is true.
TSN is a weekly magazine. Almost everything in it was compiled just a few days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread