What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting Graham and Gronk in TE flex, 12 team PPR leagues (1 Viewer)

elbowrm

Footballguy
Bloom's been talking this up for a few weeks - in TE 1.5 PPR leagues in particular this is intriguining, although probably hard to pull off. In 1 PPR this looks do-able if you have the 9-12 pick, where you'd have to take Gronk with one of the first picks in the 4th round.

From the 12th slot, if Graham is there at 1.12, you'd be looking at potentially Forte or Lynch and then Gore, Amendola, or Ridley and the TE's, so clearly you'd have work to do in the next few rounds for RB and WR depth, making your results highly dependent upon being able to hit the bullseye with those picks. I'd also probably wind up taking a third TE at some point (Sudfeld most likely) if Gronk isn't good to go.

Has anyone been satisfied with their end results when using this strategy in drafts so far this year? Is this a viable option?

Bloom's been talking this up for a few weeks - in TE 1.5 PPR leagues in particular this is intriguining, although probably hard to pull off.

From the 12th slot, if Graham is there at 1.12, you'd be looking at potentially Forte or Lynch and then
This would not be that hard to pull off in a 1.5 TE PPR league. In those leagues I don't think I've seen Graham fall to 12 so the hard part is landing Graham in the first,which may not be possible in the back half of the first round. Landing Gronk in the second is fairly doable, at best he usually goes late second.Not sure if he's worth it there but that's another discussion.

I've seen one guy purposely execute this strategy in 1.5 TE PPR league except he also places Vernon Davis as the third elite TE and he picked him as well in the third. This was dual flex FFPC style so he can start all 3.

I can't say I liked how that team filled out I referenced above but in general it can be a solid approach especially if you are middle to late first and would rather take the best TE than maybe your 5th-6th type RB.

What it gives you a chance to do is dominate scoring in your league from a certain position. If you can fill out the rest of your roster well you can put a powerhouse together but this kind of scoring versus the rest of the league at the TE position can also cover a lot of holes/mistakes.

I had a team in 2011 in the FFPC that had Graham/Gronk and until he was suspended after week 12 Fred Davis who I think was TE#5 when he left. Good news is Graham was a third rounder, Gronk a 9th and Fred in the 15th so I did not have to use my top picks. Bad news is my first rounder(Fitz)was more like a 3rd/4th round type and my second rounder (Felix) was a horrendous bust. My best RB for a chunk of the season, Beannie Wells. That team did win the league.

So point being a made a ton of mistakes. Second point is my RB's stunk and if you start Graham/Gronk that would be my biggest concern.

I think starting this duo boils down to two things. How soon does Gronk return and how effective when he does? Personally I'm not real optimistic but if it was a nobrainer we'd not be having this discussion as he'd be a first round lock like Graham. Second item is even tough I got through a season with Beannie Wells as my best RB due mainly to this duo I'd still want to make sure I've got a plan for addressing my RB spot.

I play in a standard 12 team that starts 2RB,2WR, 1TE and 1WR/TE. I wasn't intending to draft Graham and Gronk, but it just worked out that way.

Team:

QB: RG3, Dalton

RB: Peterson, Deangelo, Vareen, Tate, Bilal, Pierre Thomas

WR/TE: Graham, Julio, Gronk,Garçon, Malcom Floyd, Rueben Randle

My RB2 spot is kind of a mess and I don't like having so much tied into injured guys, but it's just the way the draft came to me. I can always trade one of the TE at any point in the year since I can offer a major upgrade to that position to any team. I already got quite a few ppl interested in Graham.

Users who are viewing this thread