What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drama with renters (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
We own the house next door and rent it to a family with a 10yo son.  At Halloween I asked the wife about their new place in Florida--she looked at me and said, "That's Dan's place.  I didn't want it and will probably never go."  OK then.  Last week, I saw the wife and asked about the husband and she teared up and said, "He doesn't come around much anymore."

On Friday night, there were three cop cars and 6 cops at the house.  My wife contacted both and heard back from the wife.  The alarm had gone off while the wife and son were at a friend's house.  The husband set off the alarm (?) which brought the police.  The wife said the husband wasn't supposed to be there.  The police were in there for over 30 minutes.  

Saturday morning, the husband called and said he had been improperly served with a restraining order (he said he had talked to several policemen).  He said he was really drunk on Friday night and the police threatened him with arrest so he left.  He said the wife had taken the son away for a week without telling him where they were going.  He said they were going to get divorced mostly because of his quirky beliefs--he is an ardent anti-vaxxer and conspiracy theorist.  He said he has never been physical with his wife and I believe him as he doesn't strike me as the type.  Again, Saturday night, he stayed at the house with his wife and son staying with family.

Sunday morning my wife saw a locksmith changing the locks.  She called the wife who said she was advised to change the locks because of the 14-day restraining order.  She opened up that Dan is perpetually drunk and while he's never been physically abusive, he regularly is mentally abusive and cruel.  She hopes that the order will be a wakeup call for him which indicates to me that she sees hope in their marriage.  

Apart from changing the locks which she shouldn't have done, I told my wife to do her best to not get involved.  It's sad that the family is in turmoil and I hope they do what's right for their son.  And pay their rent.  They have been in the house for ~5 years and have never been late.

We own the house next door and rent it to a family with a 10yo son.  At Halloween I asked the wife about their new place in Florida--she looked at me and said, "That's Dan's place.  I didn't want it and will probably never go."  OK then.  Last week, I saw the wife and asked about the husband and she teared up and said, "He doesn't come around much anymore."

On Friday night, there were three cop cars and 6 cops at the house.  My wife contacted both and heard back from the wife.  The alarm had gone off while the wife and son were at a friend's house.  The husband set off the alarm (?) which brought the police.  The wife said the husband wasn't supposed to be there.  The police were in there for over 30 minutes.  

Saturday morning, the husband called and said he had been improperly served with a restraining order (he said he had talked to several policemen).  He said he was really drunk on Friday night and the police threatened him with arrest so he left.  He said the wife had taken the son away for a week without telling him where they were going.  He said they were going to get divorced mostly because of his quirky beliefs--he is an ardent anti-vaxxer and conspiracy theorist.  He said he has never been physical with his wife and I believe him as he doesn't strike me as the type.  Again, Saturday night, he stayed at the house with his wife and son staying with family.

Sunday morning my wife saw a locksmith changing the locks.  She called the wife who said she was advised to change the locks because of the 14-day restraining order.  She opened up that Dan is perpetually drunk and while he's never been physically abusive, he regularly is mentally abusive and cruel.  She hopes that the order will be a wakeup call for him which indicates to me that she sees hope in their marriage.  

Apart from changing the locks which she shouldn't have done, I told my wife to do her best to not get involved.  It's sad that the family is in turmoil and I hope they do what's right for their son.  And pay their rent.  They have been in the house for ~5 years and have never been late.
I see what you did there.  

Yes, don't get involved.  

Yeah, outside of her changing the locks without your permission or consulting you I don't see how it benefits you to get involved at all.

This is SOP in a divorce.   Wife files for a restraining order, which gives her the family home and keeps husband away from the kid.   TRO starts out at 14-30 days, but usually gets extended with some sort of supervised visitation for another 30 to 60.   It's amazing how often this happens around the holidays, which is usually intentional.

By the time the husband gets his day in court, the wife has established a solid claim to the home and custody, since "hey, the kid has been with mom for the last 60 days, and it went ok.  Look at how her whole family was there through the holidays."   Now she gets awarded primary custody and dad gets to pay child support and most likely marital support to keep her stable for the kid.

And she can totally change the locks.  She just needs to let you know.  

"She opened up that Dan is perpetually drunk and while he's never been physically abusive, he regularly is mentally abusive and cruel."

Emotional and psychological abuse and trauma can be just as bad if not worse than physical abuse especially over an extended period of time.

This is SOP in a divorce.   Wife files for a restraining order, which gives her the family home and keeps husband away from the kid.   TRO starts out at 14-30 days, but usually gets extended with some sort of supervised visitation for another 30 to 60.   It's amazing how often this happens around the holidays, which is usually intentional.

By the time the husband gets his day in court, the wife has established a solid claim to the home and custody, since "hey, the kid has been with mom for the last 60 days, and it went ok.  Look at how her whole family was there through the holidays."   Now she gets awarded primary custody and dad gets to pay child support and most likely marital support to keep her stable for the kid.

This is evil.  What if the husband refuses to pay rent because he doesn't have access to the place?  I don't want to be dragged into court and asked if I gave permission to change locks without discussing it with the husband.  I really want none of this drama.  

"She opened up that Dan is perpetually drunk and while he's never been physically abusive, he regularly is mentally abusive and cruel."

Emotional and psychological abuse and trauma can be just as bad if not worse than physical abuse especially over an extended period of time.

I agree but I don't know how you get a restraining order from your husband based on a verbal claim.  Is it really that easy?  Maybe she had a witness to corroborate  her claim but if not, it seems to be that the bar is too low.  

Wow.  The misogyny is really thick in here.

This is evil.  What if the husband refuses to pay rent because he doesn't have access to the place?  I don't want to be dragged into court and asked if I gave permission to change locks without discussing it with the husband.  I really want none of this drama.  
Court order will require him to pay rent if he is the primary wage earner.   Generally you don't want to be on the other side of a contempt order if you're trying to maintain joint custody of your kids.

Wow.  The misogyny is really thick in here.
That's just how the family court system works, unfortunately.   Some states have recognized that this is how it has been handled for years and that it is unfair to fathers.  Little has changed.   

Restraining order to kick the husband out based on claims of emotional abuse is the first page of the playbook for a large number of divorce attorneys.   Get the house, get the kids and then fight from the high ground.   It has been quite a successful strategy for a long time.   And yes, this does call into question legitimate claims of emotional abuse, but in the end greed has won out.   

That's just how the family court system works, unfortunately.   Some states have recognized that this is how it has been handled for years and that it is unfair to fathers.  Little has changed.   

Restraining order to kick the husband out based on claims of emotional abuse is the first page of the playbook for a large number of divorce attorneys.   Get the house, get the kids and then fight from the high ground.   It has been quite a successful strategy for a long time.   And yes, this does call into question legitimate claims of emotional abuse, but in the end greed has won out.   

Mental and emotional abuse were the exact words she used.

During the rent handoff, husband said he's not been in the same reality as his wife for some time.  6-years ago, he predicted forced vaccines and now it's coming true.  I guess this is his way of claiming his crazy anti-vax beliefs are true.  My mantra:  DON'T GET INVOLVED UNLESS SOMEONE IS IN DANGER.

Don't get involved.  You're just the landlord and all you care about is (1) getting paid rent and (2) property damage. 

If she is fearful that he could go off in a drunken rage, she can get a temporary restraining order (or protection order), but he gets his day in Court to explain why he doesn't think one is necessary.  No need to speculate or take sides as you, me, and everyone else, has no clue of how bad it is.  The Court will sort it out.

And this post is quite reasonable.  My objection to the other post was the insulting, anti-woman laguage.  The court system is unfortunately biased in favor of the mother.  It should be focused on the best interests of the children.

Mental and emotional abuse were the exact words she used.

During the rent handoff, husband said he's not been in the same reality as his wife for some time.  6-years ago, he predicted forced vaccines and now it's coming true.  I guess this is his way of claiming his crazy anti-vax beliefs are true.  My mantra:  DON'T GET INVOLVED UNLESS SOMEONE IS IN DANGER.

Seems like a whacko and unfortunately there are so many sites that can feed into paranoia and conspiracy theories that it will probably get worse.   Take your own advice: stay out of it as much as possible.

And this post is quite reasonable.  My objection to the other post was the insulting, anti-woman laguage.  The court system is unfortunately biased in favor of the mother.  It should be focused on the best interests of the children.
There was no misogynistic or anti-woman language in the previous post either.

Joe Mammy said:
Not a great time to landlord. 

However, it's a great time to liquidate rental properties!
Doesn’t not compute. Owning a rental home is like someone buying me 10 shares of Apple every month while my other shares continue to appreciate 

Imagine the house next door to chet's being rented on a cash basis. Do you send a Brinks truck every month or just back the pickup up to the garage?

ours drop into month to month leases. Are holdover tenants easier to evict than non payment?
IMO, if they divorce, it would not be a renew at all if both names were on the lease before and it's just her name in the future. No way am I relying on a PO'd ex to make payments.

I'm sure I know the answer for this....  If they divorce and he no longer lives there, doesn't that break the lease right now if both names are on it?  Wouldn't she have to sign a new lease and be qualified for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, if they divorce, it would not be a renew at all if both names were on the lease before and it's just her name in the future. No way am I relying on a PO'd ex to make payments.

I'm sure I know the answer for this....  If they divorce and he no longer lives there, doesn't that break the lease right now if both names are on it?  Wouldn't she have to sign a new lease and be qualified for it?
it doesn’t break the lease anymore than if he goes on a 12 month vacation and uses it for storage as long as maintenance requirements are met

it doesn’t break the lease anymore than if he goes on a 12 month vacation and uses it for storage as long as maintenance requirements are met
In this market, I'm not renewing a lease with these issues.  If they've been there five years, rent is likely way under market.

In this market, I'm not renewing a lease with these issues.  If they've been there five years, rent is likely way under market.

yeah, all my rents are under market right now.  Problem is I can make $2 sf painting on the side.  In the time it takes to prep my home I could have made three years of rent increases in the same weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread