What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Peterson (1 Viewer)

What a weird story. Glad it's over and he'll be staying in jail. Maybe he'll let people know about his 4th wife.

Great news...I'm stunned by this verdict. I have little doubt he did it but wasn't sure how the prosecution was going to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't know how this stands up in appeal. The evidence was pretty much just hearsay statements by two women who had no direct knowledge of the crime. The prosecution admitted their case was full of holes. I wouldn't celebrate much yet.

if juries can nullify in the face of overwhelming evidence, maybe they can find a guy guilty of just being a scumbag

Not shocked that the 12 people that can't define 'unanimous' amongst themselves also have a problem with 'beyond a reasonable doubt'

He's probably as guilty as sin, but everything I saw from this case suggests that the prosecution's case was as hollow as the point of a SSA bullet

I was on TV today next to Glasgow signing the FBG (no. 16 style).

Obviously not, but I did pass Glasgow on my way into cover my cases this a.m.

Glasgow may have just saved his job too. Still will be a tough election, but the general public will love him now.

I don't know how this stands up in appeal. The evidence was pretty much just hearsay statements by two women who had no direct knowledge of the crime. The prosecution admitted their case was full of holes. I wouldn't celebrate much yet.
True but the appeal process will take some time and this scumbag will be in prison until that happens. Better than letting him walk today.

'Pipes said:
'NCCommish said:
True but the appeal process will take some time and this scumbag will be in prison until that happens. Better than letting him walk today.
Yeah he may be a scumbag but if hearsay evidence becomes the standard it isn't going to be good. And essentially they wrote their hearsay law specifically to convict this guy. Is that really what we want the state doing? I mean they call it Drew's law after all. Do we really want states writing laws tailored to convict certain people they couldn't otherwise prosecute legally? I don't think that sounds like a good thing at all.

'Pipes said:
'NCCommish said:
Yeah he may be a scumbag but if hearsay evidence becomes the standard it isn't going to be good. And essentially they wrote their hearsay law specifically to convict this guy. Is that really what we want the state doing? I mean they call it Drew's law after all. Do we really want states writing laws tailored to convict certain people they couldn't otherwise prosecute legally? I don't think that sounds like a good thing at all.
It isn't.

It's a damn shame that this case is what makes me weep for the state of our judicial system, but when a story like this breaks in the shadow of the decision; it's a sad day for all of us.

Hearsay

The final juror to change his mind and decide that Drew Peterson was guilty of killing his third wife Kathleen Savio says he was persuaded by hearsay testimony.

“It was only the hearsay that convicted him," said Ron Supalo of Bolingbrook.

Supalo said he was the last of the 12 jurors to decide to vote guilty. He had gone home Wednesday night still thinking Peterson was not guilty.

New attorneys filed motion for new trial based upon ineffective assistance of counsel:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-peterson-ineffective-counsel-motion-20121009,0,4232078.htmlpage
I'm surprised this was the basis for the appeal. Isn't this really hard to prove? I mean I have read of cases of lawyers sleeping through murder trials and ineffective counsel appeals failed.
It's not an appeal. It's a post-trial motion before the trial court. The time for appeal is tolled until the trial court rules on this motion.

New attorneys filed motion for new trial based upon ineffective assistance of counsel:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-peterson-ineffective-counsel-motion-20121009,0,4232078.htmlpage
I'm surprised this was the basis for the appeal. Isn't this really hard to prove? I mean I have read of cases of lawyers sleeping through murder trials and ineffective counsel appeals failed.
It's not an appeal. It's a post-trial motion before the trial court. The time for appeal is tolled until the trial court rules on this motion.
Ok I was thinking this was part of the appeal process thanks for the explanation. But it's still kind of hard to win isn't it?

Ok I was thinking this was part of the appeal process thanks for the explanation. But it's still kind of hard to win isn't it?
Yes

Yes, when the accused is obviously guilty. I think that qualifies here.

:whoosh:

Does the law probably being used in the future to admit evidence that makes it more likely for innocent people to be wrongly convicted matter? It certainly does in my view and using criteria as lenient as "third, the interests of justice will best be served by admission of the statement into evidence." is a huge problem.

:lmao:

Really? Ever said anything about anyone in front of anyone that could be construed as a threat? If so you to could be found guilty of their murder. That's all the evidence they had. Yeah Drew seems like scum. But this isn't the way to prosecute people.

Really? Ever said anything about anyone in front of anyone that could be construed as a threat? If so you to could be found guilty of their murder. That's all the evidence they had. Yeah Drew seems like scum. But this isn't the way to prosecute people.
I think you may be exagerrating just a bit there. If you use common sense you know this guy did it. Hell, he killed his 4th wife too. How many people does this guy have to kill before we put him behind bars?

I think you may be exagerrating just a bit there. If you use common sense you know this guy did it. Hell, he killed his 4th wife too. How many people does this guy have to kill before we put him behind bars?
All this shows is that you do not understand what you are talking about. They changed the rules for Drew. But by doing that they changed the rules for everyone. Rules of evidence are there to protect everyone. This is not good policy.

'Christo said:
'Johnnymac said:
All this shows is that you do not understand what you are talking about. They changed the rules for Drew. But by doing that they changed the rules for everyone. Rules of evidence are there to protect everyone. This is not good policy.
You are probably correct. I'm just tired of hearing about the rights and justice for the accused. What about the victims? It seems once they are dead, nobody cares about their rights or justice for them. At least not in the judicial system.

'Christo said:
'Johnnymac said:
You are probably correct. I'm just tired of hearing about the rights and justice for the accused. What about the victims? It seems once they are dead, nobody cares about their rights or justice for them. At least not in the judicial system.
Yeah, no one's looking out for the victims.

It isn't about not caring about the victim. It is caring about the next accused. Who maybe isn't the same kind of person as Drew. Maybe they are even falsely accused. Maybe it is one of us. It happens. So yes it would suck for this guy to get away with anything but it sucks more for someone else, or multiple people, to do time on bad charges.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-drew-peterson-sentence-20130221,0,1883440.story
Peterson, who did not testify at this trial, began by telling the judge, "Good day, my name is Drew Peterson. I hope I don't aggravate the situation here, but I have a lot of things to be said." Then he screamed, "I did not kill Kathleen!"

"Yes, you did," a woman said.

"Ma'am, I'd like you to leave the courtroom," Burmila said. "And Mr. Peterson, don't make any outbursts that are designed to aggravate people."

"I'm sorry, your honor. I must have been woozy," Peterson said.
What a jag.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-drew-peterson-20150209-story.html

Convicted killer Drew Peterson was charged Monday with trying to put a hit on the prosecutor who sent him away for 38 years, the Illinois attorney general’s office said.

Peterson was charged in Randolph County, which is home to the maximum-security prison that has housed Peterson for nearly two years, with one count of solicitation of murder for hire and one count of solicitation of murder, an attorney general’s office news release said.

Peterson is accused of trying to arrange a hit on Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow between September 2013 and December 2014, the release stated. Glasgow successfully prosecuted the retired police sergeant despite a largely circumstantial case built around hearsay statements.

Peterson attorney Steve Greenberg said Monday morning that neither he nor Peterson's family had been informed of any charges. He called the idea of Peterson trying to retaliate against Glasgow "absurd."

Users who are viewing this thread