What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3 RBs. i dont want to try to tackle (1 Viewer)

He‘s just behind Eric Dickerson as my favorite all time player.

Played basketball with/against him a few times when I was in HS, him college. I had a few inches on him but holy **** was that dude powerful. He backed me down on the block easily and good luck trying to muscle him out for a rebound.

He‘s just behind Eric Dickerson as my favorite all time player.

Played basketball with/against him a few times when I was in HS, him college. I had a few inches on him but holy **** was that dude powerful. He backed me down on the block easily and good luck trying to muscle him out for a rebound.
Yep, it's the unseen/hidden strength of the professional athlete that is crazy. At various I've played basketball against Eric Decker, Steve Kerr, a slew of professional baseball players, and a number of division one athletes (including D-1 women's basketball players) and it always blew me away how much stronger they were than me and dominated me at the small stuff such as boxing out, loose balls, and, in flag football, getting off the line or, in baseball, muscling out hits despite bad contact. I was mainly blown away because I worked out and practiced daily, too, but just couldn't hold a candle to them. ****ing genetics, I guess.

Other times I've noticed a pro just does the small things different:

1. Golf - even though my swing speed and other tested numbers are similar, their balls just sound different than mine when struck.
2. Hockey - holy **** those guys can skate. So much faster. TV doesn't do it justice but they fly by you on the ice. The few times I tried to open skate with them it was like I wasn't even moving.
3. Basketball (apart from how strong they are boxing out) - jumping. I've never felt so small than when I was on the court with some former D-1 and pros and it seemed like they were playing at a literal level higher than me. I had no shot at any real rebound and they'd come from nowhere to block my shot.
4. Baseball - the curve balls, even from the retired MLB pro in his 40s who lost a lot of velocity, are just soooo much tighter and nastier. They also disguise their pitches by keeping the same release point so much better than the average good high school pitcher/amateur/town ball pitcher.

Not my story but the one I always think of that really explains the difference between even the good Average Joe and the pro is told by one of my roommates in college. My roommate was an all-state football player in MN and wound up being the starting RB on my college's D3 national championship team. We're the same year as Larry Fitzgerald and my college played in the same high school conference so my roommate played against Larry a bunch in HS and had to cover him. Around the time Larry got drafted and impressed his rookie year, I remember sitting around with my roommate and our other roommates and we were asking him about covering Larry. I specifically asked whether my roommate (who was fast obviously in his own right) could keep up.

My roommate (whom I believe) said hanging with him wasn't the problem. Instead, my roommate described what Larry did that was different than anybody else my roommate had ever covered was that Larry didn't betray anything with his eyes. In other words, Larry's eyes - unlike a totally normal person whose eyes would get wide/big and tip off the db that the ball is in the air - wouldn't widen or really change in any way when the ball was thrown his way. So, Larry would still be covered but catch a ball with the db on him and the db never even knowing the ball was thrown until it was in Larry's hands.

Last edited:
On the other hand, it doesn't really matter which guy I choose. They aren't even going to bother running over me when I can't even get close enough to touch them.

Well, maybe Perry, but even he's not a given...
This. Not sure I could even get in the camera shot with Barry Sanders, unless he was cutting back, and then I’d still have no chance to touch him.

Users who are viewing this thread