What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driver wants out of GB, Contract not re-done (1 Viewer)

But, when will the freaking players realize that when a team promises they will do something 2 years after a contract has been signed, there is no guarantee they will abide by that promise.

For crying out loud, the contract you sign is the ONLY promise you get. That is why you sign the freaking contract, morons.

And this applies not only to Driver, but all the other goofs like Keenan McCardell, TO etc who get pissed because the team does not think it is necessary to follow up on some verbal, touchy-feely promise.

:boxing: :football:
I completely agree. On the other hand, it's a perfect example of why players should NEVER redo their contracts for teams unless they are getting a lot more guaranteed money. It's also why players should never give teams a "home team" discount on a contract with the expectation of redoing it in a few years. I remember a situation that cropped up last season involving the Browns and one of their linemen (I don't recall who it was off the top of my head). He had been hurt two seasons before and agreed to take a paycut to help the team get under the cap and make some moves. He was told that if he was stayed healthy the next season and played well, they'd give him a new contract. So he did stay healthy and played really well. The whole front office proceeds to get canned and the new front office that came in last season refused to give him a new deal.

Sinorice Moss at the top of Rd. 2 sounds about right...
Considering they let Chatman go because McCarthy said he was too small for his system, I don't see how Moss fits unless they plan to use him primarily as a returner.If they draft a WR, I'd guess it would be a larger sized one and possibly with their 3rd. There should be some decent WR's at #67 and a few high upside ones that fall to them in the 4th.

But, when will the freaking players realize that when a team promises they will do something 2 years after a contract has been signed, there is no guarantee they will abide by that promise. For crying out loud, the contract you sign is the ONLY promise you get. That is why you sign the freaking contract, morons.And this applies not only to Driver, but all the other goofs like Keenan McCardell, TO etc who get pissed because the team does not think it is necessary to follow up on some verbal, touchy-feely promise. :boxing: :football:
I think a good portion of the issue with players in the NFL relates to the fact that teams in the league regularly "break contracts" as well. The Packers could sign me to a 2-year, $100 million contract which calls for a $1 salary in 2006, then release me after the season and I've got a grand total of $1 to show for it. If teams can void player contracts at their discretion, why shouldn't players expect to try and renegotiate deals and "void" agreements as well? I hate the NFLPA probably as much as anyone on these boards....but if I put myself in a player's shoes, why wouldn't I expect to tear up and renegotiate an agreement after I've "outperformed" my original expectations when my team can pull the rug out from under me and/or threaten to cut me unless I agree to less money?! :shrug:

Please answer a_rackowski, I can see you're still in this thread.
Serious - Walker started it all. Driver is unhappy with his contract. NEVER has he spoken of holding out or demanding a trade, etc. He will go about it the right way. This is pure rumor - Javon walker is trying to cause damage in GB in order to force his trade because TT said this AM that a trade (of Walker) is very unlikely.
LINK?

Serious - Walker started it all. Driver is unhappy with his contract. NEVER has he spoken of holding out or demanding a trade, etc. He will go about it the right way. This is pure rumor - Javon walker is trying to cause damage in GB in order to force his trade because TT said this AM that a trade (of Walker) is very unlikely.
LINK?
No link, You just have to trust me.

LINK?
No link, You just have to trust me.
This is the speculation of Steve True, a local sports radio guy.LAUNCH

Packers | Driver disgruntled over team's failure to redo contractThu, 27 Apr 2006 12:47:01 -0700Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver is mad that the team has not re-done his deal and wants to be traded or released.
Now serving number #80...#80? There you are you're next...state your gripe...
Packers | Thompson says trade report not accurateThu, 27 Apr 2006 15:41:41 -0700Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said an ESPN report that the Packers have given WR Javon Walker permission to seek a trade is inaccurate. The Packers have given teams permission to visit with Walker, but Thompson said it was just a part of the process of fielding offers from other teams. Asked if the odds were that Walker would be traded, Thompson said, "No. I would not think the odds are in favor of that happening. We're just following up on things. I don't necessarily feel this will end in anything. We're going through the process." Thompson did not say that he wouldn't trade Walker, only that it was unlikely it would happen.
For what it's worth...and latest in the Javon saga.

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao @ Driver, Walker, Favre, and the Pack.

I hope neither WR is traded, pouts on the bench all year, and GB sucks even worse than last year.

lmao @ Driver, Walker, Favre, and the Pack.

I hope neither WR is traded, pouts on the bench all year, and GB sucks even worse than last year.
Driver has stated that this is all a rumor. Take your hate and stick it!

Several things from another board...

"According to folks at PackerChatters.com, local radio stations are debunking this story. Driver's agent has released a statement denying the rumor, saying that Driver would like more money (like we all would), but has in no way asked for a trade or a release. Evidently Driver himself laughed off the rumors.""It is mostly speculation, with some basis in fact. There is no question that Driver has wanted a better deal for some time. There was an article in the Milwaukee paper last winter about it. It makes sense that the big money given to Woodson would re-open those wounds. However, it is unlikely in my opinion that Driver would use the press to air his grievances or would go the "cut me or trade me" route. JASON WILDE of the Wisconsin State Journal reportedly (message board) called the local ESPN radio station in Madison and stated he believed the leak came from Walker's people to make Walker look better, or not so bad, and to make the Packers look bad. Wilde did not think Smith's information came from Driver."

Several things from another board...

"According to folks at PackerChatters.com, local radio stations are debunking this story. Driver's agent has released a statement denying the rumor, saying that Driver would like more money (like we all would), but has in no way asked for a trade or a release. Evidently Driver himself laughed off the rumors."

"It is mostly speculation, with some basis in fact. There is no question that Driver has wanted a better deal for some time. There was an article in the Milwaukee paper last winter about it. It makes sense that the big money given to Woodson would re-open those wounds. However, it is unlikely in my opinion that Driver would use the press to air his grievances or would go the "cut me or trade me" route. JASON WILDE of the Wisconsin State Journal reportedly (message board) called the local ESPN radio station in Madison and stated he believed the leak came from Walker's people to make Walker look better, or not so bad, and to make the Packers look bad. Wilde did not think Smith's information came from Driver."
:lmao: Some people sure made arses out of themselves in this thread!

:yes: Yep, people wearing Green and Gold-colored glasses have been doing it for at least....oh, 35 years now. Maybe longer, but I wouldn't know because I wasn't around before then. ;)

Aw c'mon, Fla\/\/ed. Where's your sense of humor? Goodness knows us Vikings fans have had to develop one after our Packer-backer friends remind us about 300 times per season how many Lombardis each of our teams has in the trophy case.... :P

:pokey:

:lmao:

Some people sure made arses out of themselves in this thread!
:yes: Yep, people wearing Green and Gold-colored glasses have been doing it for at least....oh, 35 years now. Maybe longer, but I wouldn't know because I wasn't around before then. ;)
Yeah...sure.... :rolleyes: The people who kept bashing the franchise for what may turn out to be nothing but a rumor look a bit worse.

Yeah...sure.... :rolleyes: The people who kept bashing the franchise for what may turn out to be nothing but a rumor look a bit worse.
sho nuff,Not to beat a dead horse, but whether Javon Walker's people or Donald Driver's people started the story in the media, how would that change the fact that the Packers promised to renegotiate Driver's contract two years ago and it still hasn't gotten done? Just curious.I have assumed all along that this one will turn out a lot more "Hines Ward" than "Javon Walker", but the main points being discussed (at least by me) have nothing to do with who actually got the media engine rolling on the Driver news today. I was only in my last 2-3 posts that I started slinging the hash....just 'cuz it's so fun to watch Packer fans get worked up into a lather sometimes..... :hey:

sho nuff,Not to beat a dead horse, but whether Javon Walker's people or Donald Driver's people started the story in the media, how would that change the fact that the Packers promised to renegotiate Driver's contract two years ago and it still hasn't gotten done? Just curious.

I have assumed all along that this one will turn out a lot more "Hines Ward" than "Javon Walker", but the main points being discussed (at least by me) have nothing to do with who actually got the media engine rolling on the Driver news today. I was only in my last 2-3 posts that I started slinging the hash....just 'cuz it's so fun to watch Packer fans get worked up into a lather sometimes..... :hey:
It's rather fun to watch you continue to dig yourself a hole. :lmao:

Explain. Or is all you got one-liners?! Here's your shot at the BIG TIME. Put me in my place....without a :lmao: in the reply..... ;)

Is this surprising to anyone? The Packers haven't handled players well for years and it's now coming to a head as Favre approachs retirement.
cstu wheres Pschological Kev and the Thompson backers now?guess they see we were right

Driver Refutes Report He's an Unhappy Packer

April 27, 2006 06:53 PM EDT 

According to sources, Donald Driver is refuting an ESPN report that he, like Javon Walker, is unhappy with his contract and wants to be traded or released.

Driver has two years left on a five-year, $11 million extension he signed in 2002. That deal included a four-million dollar signing bonus. Since then, Driver has been the Packers' number-one receiver, and it could be argued that he has outperformed the deal.

Driver and his agent were talking to the Packers about his contract last December. Sources close to Driver said Thursday he has no plans to hold out or make any demands of the team to rework his deal.
www.wbay.comI'm now hearing rumors that Mike Smith of ESPN who originally "broke" the story, got his info from a source close to Walker.

Scuttlebutt is that the Walker camp played Smith for a fool and got media play going against the Pack.

Naughty, naughty, naughty Walker camp, if it's true that the leak came from them.

But really amatuer reporting by Smith & ESPN if they didn't first confirm Driver was unhappy by checking with...well checking with Driver or his agent. :thumbdown:

EDIT: Note to self, pay attention to what a_rackowski has to say.

Driver Refutes Report He's an Unhappy Packer

April 27, 2006 06:53 PM EDT

According to sources, Donald Driver is refuting an ESPN report that he, like Javon Walker, is unhappy with his contract and wants to be traded or released.

Driver has two years left on a five-year, $11 million extension he signed in 2002. That deal included a four-million dollar signing bonus. Since then, Driver has been the Packers' number-one receiver, and it could be argued that he has outperformed the deal.

Driver and his agent were talking to the Packers about his contract last December. Sources close to Driver said Thursday he has no plans to hold out or make any demands of the team to rework his deal.
www.wbay.comI'm now hearing rumors that Mike Smith of ESPN who originally "broke" the story, got his info from a source close to Walker.

Scuttlebutt is that the Walker camp played Smith for a fool and got media play going against the Pack.

Naughty, naughty, naughty Walker camp, if it's true that the leak came from them.

But really amatuer reporting by Smith & ESPN if they didn't first confirm Driver was unhappy by checking with...well checking with Driver or his agent. :thumbdown:
:goodposting: Yep. In watching the ESPN Draft Specials this year though, don't you get the feeling that Mike Smith is taking the role of :stirspot: He's the "counterpoint" to just about anything Trey, Mike, Salisbury, Clayton, etc. have to say, it seems. They could all say "I think the Texans will be drafting a human being at #1 overall", and Smith would fire back with "Yeah, but my sources are telling me that the Texans are in negotiations with a St. Bernard to shore-up their O-Line"........ :rolleyes:

Explain. Or is all you got one-liners?! Here's your shot at the BIG TIME. Put me in my place....without a :lmao: in the reply..... ;)
Are you serious? Please back up with facts that Driver was promised a new deal and nothing has been delivered? We have no idea what has taken place with Thompson and Driver's agent not to mention that it appears Driver has laughed at this rumor. Here's your shot at the BIG TIME....show us PROOF that Driver is unhappy.Good info here

Are you serious? Please back up with facts that Driver was promised a new deal and nothing has been delivered? We have no idea what has taken place with Thompson and Driver's agent not to mention that it appears Driver has laughed at this rumor. Here's your shot at the BIG TIME....show us PROOF that Driver is unhappy.
Fla\/\/ed,Have you even read any of my posts before I decided to :pokey: (?)

I personally don't CARE whether Driver is happy or unhappy. I personally don't CARE whether it was him, Walker's people or Saddam Hussein who got the media churning today. What I DO care about is the "philosophical" issue of a company (in this case, a football team) making a promise to an employee and then breaking that promise.

Other posters in this thread have actually cited articles which describe the team, Driver and his agent discussing a renegotiation, with the implication that the team, a la Hines Ward and the Steelers, promised to take care of him after he exceeded the expectations of his current contract. A season or two later, still no new contract.

Are the Packers required to renegotiate? Nope. Are they obligated to follow through on a verbal "promise" of a former coach/GM who is no longer there? Nope. Is that a good way to treat your employees? Nope.

That's all I've been saying all along. Heck, I am a business owner myself....and if I promise my staff that they will receive ________, they get it. I am last in line when it comes to pay-day, and if I'm a little "light" in the wallet during a particular week/month, so be it. It's not about "Ha HA! You said you'd work at minimum wage, so regardless of the fact that you've been 250% more productive than we had hoped, I'm not giving you a raise 'cuz you're under contract." It's about taking care of your people and making them feel valued/appreciated...so that they will go out and give even more to the cause while also touting you and recruiting other people to make the "company" (football team) even stronger.

EDITED TO ADD: Anyone see the Packers as being equally responsible to holding Javon Walker to a dirt-cheap contract after he blew-up and was being paid well-below other comparable WRs in the league? Everyone in Green Bay was hyper-quick to villianize Walker in that situation, but if those same folks would look in the mirror at their conversations with spouses and co-workers regarding their own employers and compensation (assuming they aren't being showered with money and are exceeding the "average" output expected in their positions), folks might see things just a bit differently.

Excuse me for trying to transcend "football" for two seconds in the Shark Pool though. I should know better, and will try to keep that stuff in the FFA from now on. :bag:

:popcorn:

Are you serious? Please back up with facts that Driver was promised a new deal and nothing has been delivered? We have no idea what has taken place with Thompson and Driver's agent not to mention that it appears Driver has laughed at this rumor. Here's your shot at the BIG TIME....show us PROOF that Driver is unhappy.
No link Fla\/\/ed and no mention of supposed promised contract. Just take it however you will.
I also had a source that spoke to Driver about 2-3 weeks ago and said Driver had JUST HAD a meeting with TT about retiring as a Packer and Driver left the meeting VERY Disappointed and VERY FRUSTRATED.

I got to hand it to Walker, this is a stunt even TO hasn't pulled yet. Walker is turning into a Grade A punk although like I've posted several times before the problem really are the people close to Walker. I've made note of this in different threads but Walker has people close to him (especially family members) who are at the root of all of the problems that are now occurring between him and the Packers. But for him or anyone close to him to drag Driver into it is pretty weak.

It would appear the info gotten from the sources was a case of them taking a truth (Driver wanting a new deal) and spinning it into a complete fabrication (Driver wanting out of Green Bay).

Somehow something tells me some folks in this thread will probably blame Favre for that too. In any event, it's nice to see Driver continues to be a stand-up guy and not a punk like Javon Walker. Hopefully some team steps up and makes the Packers a good offer for Walker and Green Bay can be rid of this cancer.

Fla\/\/ed,Have you even read any of my posts before I decided to :pokey: (?)

I personally don't CARE whether Driver is happy or unhappy. I personally don't CARE whether it was him, Walker's people or Saddam Hussein who got the media churning today. What I DO care about is the "philosophical" issue of a company (in this case, a football team) making a promise to an employee and then breaking that promise.

Other posters in this thread have actually cited articles which describe team, Driver and his agent discussing a renegotiation, with the implication that the team, a la Hines Ward and the Steelers, promised to take care of him after he exceeded the expectations of his current contract. A season or two later, still no new contract.

Are the Packers required to renegotiate? Nope. Are they obligated to follow through on a verbal "promise" of a former coach/GM who is no longer there? Nope. Is that a good way to treat your employees? Nope.

That's all I've been saying all along. Heck, I am a business owner myself....and if I promise my staff that they will receive ________, they get it. I am last in line when it comes to pay-day, and if I'm a little "light" in the wallet during a particular week/month, so be it. It's not about "Ha HA! You said you'd work at minimum wage, so regardless of the fact that you've been 250% more productive than we had hoped, I'm not giving you a raise 'cuz you're under contract." It's about taking care of your people and making them feel valued/appreciated...so that they will go out and give even more to the cause while also touting you and recruiting other people to make the "company" (football team) even stronger.

Excuse me for trying to transcend "football" for two seconds in the Shark Pool though. I should know better, and will try to keep that stuff in the FFA from now on. :bag:

:popcorn:
What are you missing? This appears to be a rumor started from the Walker camp.If so, nothing matters about your "what was promised" stance because there is nothing valid about this story. We have no idea if any promises were broken!!

The problem here is obvious: Driver wants to hold Thompson accountable for something another GM promised him. Driver should be aware that any promises made to him by one GM should carry no weight with the present GM. However, given how productive Driver has been and given how he has never made a stink (until now) about his contract situation I think it's in Thompson's best interests to see if the deal can be re-done assuming Driver's demands aren't outrageous.

We'll see what happens.
I completely disagree with this statement and I know the Vikings went through the same thing with Randall McDaniel after Denny Green made him some promises but then was let go after 2001.Basically Driver agreed to something with the Packers' GM and now the Packers' GM is going back on his word. It really doesn't matter who is standing in the Packers' GM Shoes, because Driver is only concerned with those singular GM shoes for the Packers.

If my employer promised me a raise in 6 months and in 6 months my employer told me, "Well somebody else is in charge of those decisions now and he has decided not to honor the previous agreement", I would be out of there pretty quickly.

The problem here is obvious: Driver wants to hold Thompson accountable for something another GM promised him. Driver should be aware that any promises made to him by one GM should carry no weight with the present GM. However, given how productive Driver has been and given how he has never made a stink (until now) about his contract situation I think it's in Thompson's best interests to see if the deal can be re-done assuming Driver's demands aren't outrageous.

We'll see what happens.
I completely disagree with this statement and I know the Vikings went through the same thing with Randall McDaniel after Denny Green made him some promises but then was let go after 2001.Basically Driver agreed to something with the Packers' GM and now the Packers' GM is going back on his word. It really doesn't matter who is standing in the Packers' GM Shoes, because Driver is only concerned with those singular GM shoes for the Packers.

If my employer promised me a raise in 6 months and in 6 months my employer told me, "Well somebody else is in charge of those decisions now and he has decided not to honor the previous agreement", I would be out of there pretty quickly.
For what it's worth, the Chargers are going through something similar (assuming Sherman ever made such a promise to Driver which should now be seriously questioned given the source of the original report) with Donnie Edwards. Edwards was promised by John Butler before he died that he would have his contract re-done. A.J. Smith has not shown an interest in fulfilling that promise and now Edwards could be traded or released. We'll see how that plays out.

So let me get this straight. Javon Walker's people or Walker himself started this rumor about him being promised? Or was he in fact promised but has just been a professional about it and not said anything. Either way, I think TT should give Donald a healthy bonus this season in about week 3 or so if they still have the cap space to do so. Driver is a stellar example of all that is right about sports. Started with less than nothing and has been nothing but class his entire career.

All smiles too, saw him walking into the New Orleans game this past year and he was very gracious with the fans and kids. Just a great guy. I hope TT does right by him. He's worth more than the rest of the receivers combined, and is making less this year than Ferguson.

We'll see what happens.

It is Ted Thompson and the Packers stated policy not to touch contracts before there is only one year left. There are two years left on Driver's contract. This was the crux of the matter with Javon last year and the issue with Driver as well.Maybe they will start the negotiations during the season as someone mentioned - but remember that the cap will go up quote a bit next year as well - and Woodson's cap number is high this year and low the following - so maybe they only want the Driver new contract cap hit next year anyway

sho nuff,

Not to beat a dead horse, but whether Javon Walker's people or Donald Driver's people started the story in the media, how would that change the fact that the Packers promised to renegotiate Driver's contract two years ago and it still hasn't gotten done? Just curious.

I have assumed all along that this one will turn out a lot more "Hines Ward" than "Javon Walker", but the main points being discussed (at least by me) have nothing to do with who actually got the media engine rolling on the Driver news today. I was only in my last 2-3 posts that I started slinging the hash....just 'cuz it's so fun to watch Packer fans get worked up into a lather sometimes..... :hey:
Ummm...the fact that Sherman did so...how much was Thompson aware of it....when was it supposed to be redone...has Driver's people actually been in contact with Thompson about this?So many questions...yet people's first assumption was that Thompson was dropping the ball and Driver was as good as gone.

It has alot to do with how it got the media rolling...people have been bashing an organization over what looks like it may turnout to be nothing but bull.

It was worrisome as a fan...but Driver has always seemed like the type not to pull such a stunt....and many said just that. He believes in putting it out on the field...and that the rest will take care of itself.

My biggest question is why Sherman was such a moron promising a guy a new deal after year 2 of a 5 year deal.

And others have said that Green Bay does not take care of its players? Driver was very well taken care of during his last deal....4 million bonus the first year...another mil the 2nd year. And in all liklihood...he will get taken care of again.

If VD doesn't want to be in Green Bay, I'd not take him. No sense in forcing round pegs into square holes. Same with Walker.

This happened a few years back when Marvin Lewis came to Cincy. Takeo Spikes simply didn't want to be there. So they get rid of him. Look at where that got Lewis :thumbup: and Spikes :unsure:

If VD doesn't want to be in Green Bay, I'd not take him. No sense in forcing round pegs into square holes. Same with Walker.

This happened a few years back when Marvin Lewis came to Cincy. Takeo Spikes simply didn't want to be there. So they get rid of him. Look at where that got Lewis :thumbup: and Spikes :unsure:
Spikes had two pretty decent years in Buffalo in 03-04. and had 11tackels, 6 asst., 1 sack and a FF last year in only three games.Better comparison....Lav Coles with the Skins last year.....But I completely agree, if a player doesn't want to be there....find away to get rid of him, so much better for the team in the long run.

He's worth more than the rest of the receivers combined, and is making less this year than Ferguson.
I agree. That's why I started hammering on this thread in the first place. Driver seems to me to be the consummate "team player", and the Packers seem to be substantially underpaying him. ESPN's talking heads over the past several days have had lots of positive things to say about Walker too (great guy, super talent, etc.), yet he is "T.O." in the State of Wisconsin. I agree that he got some poor advice in the way he handled his situation, but it's almost as though the Packers said "we don't CARE if you've substantially out-performed your contract. You agreed to minimum wage, so by golly, you're making minimum wage."Unless someone is looking for a "promotion" (starting job or increased role) or is just happy to have a contract somewhere, WHY would you want to go to Green Bay if you were a free agent? Seriously. That's not a "Packer" thing though....as the same could be said if ANY team in the league treated its players that way.I'm on the outside looking in though, of course, so who knows what the "real" situation is. I'm just saying with Walker, Driver, Ahman Green and others, the view just doesn't look that great outside of Lambeau Field...... :(

Please stop pissing in the Shark Pool.
Agreed. The Free For All is full of stuff like this. For this board, please keep it on real NFL stuff.TIA.

J
:rolleyes: This coming from the guy who got his thread :IBTL:

I knew it would get locked, I was just posting the same garbage you posted, but somehow when people post garbage rumors about Green Bay it's ok.That's cool though, enjoy your fun.

:tinfoilhat:

Please stop pissing in the Shark Pool.
Agreed. The Free For All is full of stuff like this. For this board, please keep it on real NFL stuff.TIA.

J
:rolleyes: This coming from the guy who got his thread :IBTL:

I knew it would get locked, I was just posting the same garbage you posted, but somehow when people post garbage rumors about Green Bay it's ok.That's cool though, enjoy your fun.

:tinfoilhat:
:rolleyes: :lmao:

So let me get this straight. Javon Walker's people or Walker himself started this rumor about him being promised? Or was he in fact promised but has just been a professional about it and not said anything. Either way, I think TT should give Donald a healthy bonus this season in about week 3 or so if they still have the cap space to do so. Driver is a stellar example of all that is right about sports. Started with less than nothing and has been nothing but class his entire career.

All smiles too, saw him walking into the New Orleans game this past year and he was very gracious with the fans and kids. Just a great guy. I hope TT does right by him. He's worth more than the rest of the receivers combined, and is making less this year than Ferguson.
I had a beer and a pizza with him and his wife in Waukesa a few nights after their blowout loss to the Rams in 01? 02? He was still the #4 then and the hotel he was staying at had a bar that didn't get too many people in it, so no one besides me and my buddies recognized him. He was totally cool with us hanging out with him for a while, talking Packers, Track and Field, etc. We wanted to know what he thought of Bill Schroeder (we knew he was kind of a tool, just wanted to get his take) and we couldn't pry a bad word out of him although you could tell he wanted to say something.Great guy. After that day I've been the worlds biggest Driver fan. Even my wife, who hates all things Packers, cheers for him. The whole trade or release me demand seemed WAAAAY out of character.

sho nuff,Not to beat a dead horse, but whether Javon Walker's people or Donald Driver's people started the story in the media, how would that change the fact that the Packers promised to renegotiate Driver's contract two years ago and it still hasn't gotten done? Just curious.

Negotiations are a two way street which take time. If a deal isn't done yet, you can't simply just blame the packers.

A guy like Driver (and other Green Bay players) who have been stand up guys and play hard every week, probably question how the organization (& media) can cater to “Lord” Favre’s every need and want on one hand and ignore their needs and wants on the other.
Favre took a little less than 3 MONTHS after the Super Bowl to see if he wanted to retire or not. I can't believe the constant complaining on the board about that. If you believe this hindered the Packers one iota you're fooling yourselves.

I had a beer and a pizza with him and his wife in Waukesa a few nights after their blowout loss to the Rams in 01? 02? He was still the #4 then and the hotel he was staying at had a bar that didn't get too many people in it, so no one besides me and my buddies recognized him. He was totally cool with us hanging out with him for a while, talking Packers, Track and Field, etc. We wanted to know what he thought of Bill Schroeder (we knew he was kind of a tool, just wanted to get his take) and we couldn't pry a bad word out of him although you could tell he wanted to say something.

Great guy. After that day I've been the worlds biggest Driver fan. Even my wife, who hates all things Packers, cheers for him. The whole trade or release me demand seemed WAAAAY out of character.
Great story. Driver is definitely a class act. Great guy and a very good player.

I had a beer and a pizza with him and his wife in Waukesa a few nights after their blowout loss to the Rams in 01? 02?  He was still the #4 then and the hotel he was staying at had a bar that didn't get too many people in it, so no one besides me and my buddies recognized him.  He was totally cool with us hanging out with him for a while, talking Packers, Track and Field, etc.  We wanted to know what he thought of Bill Schroeder (we knew he was kind of a tool, just wanted to get his take) and we couldn't pry a bad word out of him although you could tell he wanted to say something.

Great guy.  After that day I've been the worlds biggest Driver fan.  Even my wife, who hates all things Packers, cheers for him.  The whole trade or release me demand seemed WAAAAY out of character.
Great story. Driver is definitely a class act. Great guy and a very good player.
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread