What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drones! Need suggestions (1 Viewer)

PinkydaPimp

Footballguy
So im looking into getting a drone.  Right now i am looking at the DJI Mavic Air and the DJI Mavic 2 Pro.  Anyone have either of these?  Any feedback regarding them?  My debate is whether to future proof myself or go with the more portable air. 

Are there any other drones i should be considering?  I have never flown one before so looking for something that is easy to learn. 

Cheers!

There was quite a bit of drone talk in one of the christmas present threads.  Maybe it was a black friday thread.  Gonna have to do some searching.

I got the DJI Spark for Christmas. Mainly because of the price, size and beginner friendliness.

Pros compared to Mavic - Its cheaper ($500 for the bundle -vs- $1000). Accessories are cheaper. Its much smaller (like half the flying size). It can be launched and landed from your palm. It can be controlled by your palm (like some bad-###ed Jedi ####). Its easier for beginners thanks to built-in Quickshots (Circle - flies in a circle above an object at a pre-determined height while shooting video and Helix - flies in a circle while ascending) - otherwise you need to manually fly/create these shots which is a little more advanced for a beginner pilot.

Cons - Spark only shoots 1080 while Mavic does 4K video. Spark is slower and has less range than Mavic. Spark has less battery life/flying time per session. Spark has 2-axis stabalization while Mavic has 3-axis (better for shooting video in high winds). Mavic follow-me mode is better (it follows the actual controller while the Spark locks in on the subject - this can cause problems if you go out of view or another moving object takes its attention).

Drones are basically banned in our area.  The entire metro area is a class bravo more or less so a cop sees you taking one above the hard deck and you are getting a big ticket.  

Make sure you understand the applicable regs. 

I've been looking at them but they get better every year.  I'm not in any rush and have too much on my plate to get into a new hobby currently.  I'm picturing a box of cords, batteries, instructions, and me wasting time transferring video files.  I'm in no rush but :blackdot:

I'm picturing a box of cords, batteries, instructions, and me wasting time transferring video files.
It's very much like when the GoPro first came out. I know a bunch of people that rushed out to get one and barely ever took it out of the box. I've been a big home/action video hobbiest for about 10 years now, so I know Ill use mine, but if you're not willing to put in some time learning it and you have no interest in editing video, you might as well not bother.

I got the DJI Spark for Christmas. Mainly because of the price, size and beginner friendliness.

Pros compared to Mavic - Its cheaper ($500 for the bundle -vs- $1000). Accessories are cheaper. Its much smaller (like half the flying size). It can be launched and landed from your palm. It can be controlled by your palm (like some bad-###ed Jedi ####). Its easier for beginners thanks to built-in Quickshots (Circle - flies in a circle above an object at a pre-determined height while shooting video and Helix - flies in a circle while ascending) - otherwise you need to manually fly/create these shots which is a little more advanced for a beginner pilot.

Cons - Spark only shoots 1080 while Mavic does 4K video. Spark is slower and has less range than Mavic. Spark has less battery life/flying time per session. Spark has 2-axis stabalization while Mavic has 3-axis (better for shooting video in high winds). Mavic follow-me mode is better (it follows the actual controller while the Spark locks in on the subject - this can cause problems if you go out of view or another moving object takes its attention).
I will check out the spark.  It seems they made the entire product line smaller.  I wonder if the air is the same size. 

funny i used google to search since i hate the forum search and didnt see that one. thnx
I hear ya. That's how I searched until recently because trying to use the fbg search was pointless. but someone else pointed that trick out...seems to work a lot better now.

I will check out the spark.  It seems they made the entire product line smaller.  I wonder if the air is the same size. 
Looks like it is. If you're OK with the price tag, the Mavic air is probably the way to go. Just keep in mind that there's a very real possibility that this thing takes off and you never see it again. Especially when you're just learning how to fly it. Scary thought for a beginner or someone that likes to fly it over un-recoverable structure (water, grand canyon, etc).

E-Z Glider said:
Looks like it is. If you're OK with the price tag, the Mavic air is probably the way to go. Just keep in mind that there's a very real possibility that this thing takes off and you never see it again. Especially when you're just learning how to fly it. Scary thought for a beginner or someone that likes to fly it over un-recoverable structure (water, grand canyon, etc).
You know, i was really considering buying the mavic pro 2 just because it is supposed to be more stable and has better crash protection.  But you bring up a really good point.  Its expensive enough that i think i would be terrified every time i fly it.

You know, i was really considering buying the mavic pro 2 just because it is supposed to be more stable and has better crash protection.  But you bring up a really good point.  Its expensive enough that i think i would be terrified every time i fly it.
I know two people that have them and they're complete opposites. One guy (40-something) had it make a few rogue landings and now he barely ever gets it out and is nervous the whole time and never lets it get out of sight. The other guy (20-something) flies it like a maniac everywhere they go. We were on vacation and he'd walk out on the deck, send it up, come back in on the couch and just fly it all round town, even chasing people with it. Stuck in traffic? he sends it up to see whats going on. See a shrimp boat off-shore? he sends it out to get awesome footage. Hasnt lost it (yet). I hope to be somewhere in between.

You can get protection/insurance, but you need to be able to recover the unit to use it. Ive also seen people recommend attaching a Trackr device so you can find it if it flies off (not going to help much if it goes down in the water though). I think Ill feel more comfortable flying the Spark than I would the Mavic just based on the price tag.

Welp, that didnt take long.   :censored:   Snapped off 2 of the arms and cracked the case.

Drone was out of sight when it got caught up in the top of a very tall tree. Its very hard to see the tops of trees and judge how close you are when you're flying. No insurance. Looks like they sell a repair kit / chasis for like $25. Gonna give that a shot. 

Users who are viewing this thread