What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Droughns signs extension through 2009 (1 Viewer)

wadegarrett

FFA Legend™
Droughns signs extension through 2009

Tony Grossi

Cleveland Plain Dealer Reporter

As other teams cut players to comply with the NFL salary cap by the deadline of 6 o'clock Sunday evening, the Browns keep adding players and salary to their payroll. It's a good sign.

They accomplished one of their main offensive priorities Friday by locking up running back Reuben Droughns with a new contract through 2009.

Droughns, who had one year left on the contract the Browns inherited from the Denver Broncos, received an undisclosed signing bonus and his 2006 base salary was rewritten.

Total value of the contract over four years is $13.2 million, according to a source with knowledge of the deal. Droughns will average $4 million a year in the last three years beginning in 2007.

"We're pleased with the extension,'' said Drew Rosenhaus, Droughns' agent. "They didn't have to do anything. Reuben and the Browns are a great fit.''

Droughns, 27, rushed for 1,232 yards in his first season in Cleveland after being acquired for defensive linemen Ebenezer Ekuban and Mike Myers. The total, which ranked 10th on the Browns' all-time list, ended the franchise's 20-year drought without a 1,000-yard rusher.

Droughns also set a franchise record with 309 carries.

"It was the right and honorable thing to do to give Reuben a new contract,'' Browns GM Phil Savage said in a statement released by the club. "We are anxious to give him the opportunity to have a focused off-season where he can emerge as a leader on offense.''

Droughns' signing of a new deal came two days after the completion of a three-year contract for defensive end Orpheus Roye.

Savage isn't done yet. The team is close to signing offensive left tackle L.J. Shelton to a new contract.

Barring another change caused by NFL labor negotiations, Shelton is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. Monday. Savage is determined to re-sign Shelton because the tackle market in free agency is not good.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW...

...Reuben Droughns rushed the ball 309 times last year. That ranked 10th in the league. Something to remember come this Fall. Especially if the Browns address their OL in the Draft or FA.

Good for Droughns. It will be interesting to see how this contract stands up next to free agent RBs like Jamal Lewis and Ahman Green. Obviously Alexander and Edge will get their money but there may be a few very good free agent RBs that are priced in the same range as what the Browns paid Droughns.

outstanding. the browns have quietly locked up their core players this offseason.
Glad they did this. I like Droughns but I am convinced they need another back to help him close out the year. Will it be Suggs or do they draft someone?

BTW...

...Reuben Droughns rushed the ball 309 times last year.  That ranked 10th in the league.  Something to remember come this Fall.  Especially if the Browns address their OL in the Draft or FA.
Good point. If they upgrade the line I like his chances to improve on 2 things:YPC and TD's. His attempts were solid now if they improve the numbers he would make a solid RB2 in non-ppr leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet the try mixing Suggs in with Droughns and not draft a RB in the early rounds.
He doesn't seem to be in their plans. Maybe Romeo is quietly giving him some motivation for the offseason but it appears they've really soured on him.

BTW...

...Reuben Droughns rushed the ball 309 times last year. That ranked 10th in the league. Something to remember come this Fall. Especially if the Browns address their OL in the Draft or FA.
He finished #11 in rushing yards. If he boosts his two tds then we're looking at some utterly fantastic value.

Suggs and Green cannot be counted on to carry the backup loads. They will probably either draft a RB on day 2 or grab a cheap FA to help carry the load and keep Droughns fresh. He was actually a beast if you watched the games but wore down with no RB help in sight from Suggs or Green.

I am very glad as a Browns fan that they have done this. It sends the right message and rewards a player that kept banging away with 110% every week. Kudos!

Take a look at how Drougns career has gone. This guy is determined and possibly a gem.

Ive yet to catch him on TV but I did trade for him.

Who does he run like?

Take a look at how Drougns career has gone. This guy is determined and possibly a gem.

Who does he run like?
He runs like the nigerian nightmare .

Total value of the contract over four years is $13.2 million, according to a source with knowledge of the deal. Droughns will average $4 million a year in the last three years beginning in 2007.
Droughns earned $950,000 last season, and the one year left on his contract was scheduled to be for $1.15 million. Now it's $1.2 million. His signing bonus is undisclosed. Sounds to me like they restructured him a little and gave him the following three years as an incentive to do well this year. I'm not sold on this being a sign that he's their long term running back.

Who does he run like?
Give Droughns some larger shoulder pads and a neck roll and he'd pass for Kevin Mack.

I think he's a "workmanlike" RB who I would not mind as my RB2 (although being greedy there are a few others I'd prefer.....certainly one of the best bang/buck types, for those of us doing auction drafts. Would make one helluva RB3, but that's likely a pipe dream.

Users who are viewing this thread