What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dustin Ackley (1 Viewer)

I'm not as high on Ackley as Captain Hook. I'm pretty sure he and I have gone through this in another thread.

Ackley isn't exactly tearing up the PCL after a full season at that level. I don't see him hitting for power or stealing bases at the MLB level. He seems to have good OBP skills but that won't help you as much in AVG leagues. His excellent BB/SO ratios suggest there's some upside there but I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle in his first exposure to big league pitching..

I think the big question for his dynasty prospects is whether he'll be able to field his position. He'd be an above average producer as a 2B but not so much at another position.

I'm not as high on Ackley as Captain Hook. I'm pretty sure he and I have gone through this in another thread. Ackley isn't exactly tearing up the PCL after a full season at that level. I don't see him hitting for power or stealing bases at the MLB level. He seems to have good OBP skills but that won't help you as much in AVG leagues. His excellent BB/SO ratios suggest there's some upside there but I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle in his first exposure to big league pitching..I think the big question for his dynasty prospects is whether he'll be able to field his position. He'd be an above average producer as a 2B but not so much at another position.
I agree with this. His performance aside from the AFL have all been okay hitting with a great eye. His ISO has jumped up 40 points so far this year as he has as many homers (7) in 311 less at bats. So there might be more power coming but I would assume from everything I have read that it is no more than 15-20 type power if it fully develops. His base stealing is a work in progress at best although he has the speed to maybe be in the 10+ range. If your league uses OBP instead of AVG, he could very well be an upper tier 2B. However, like Eephus stated, the likelihood he is a fantasy desirable at any other position is far less.That said, many think a 320 AVG is just waited top happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
check the later news guys......from Baseball HQ (also availble several other places

"Ackley has been on a tear at AAA Tacoma since struggling through an awful April, during which he recorded a .211/.336/.305 line in 95 AB. His .351/.456/.595 in 74 May AB has been an eye-opening turnaround. But skills-wise, Ackley's only consistent plus to date have been pitch selection and an ability to draw walks, as a 33/25 K/BB and a 16 bb% indicate. Still, thanks to his rebound and near-zero 2B competition in SEA, we see Ackley's MLB ETA there sometime between now and mid-late June"

There is nobody on the Mariners roster preventing him from playing 2B - Jack Wilson may be a more experienced ML infielder but Ackley is a much better hitter and has been working on his defense - my guess is he will be up in June and that the Mariners are only waiting for his service date point to go by

Sure, he'll be called up. He's already spent a full year in AAA and the Mariners need his bat. He's definitely worth burning waiver priority or a bid on because of positional scarcity. He's probably long gone in any dynasty format and deserves to be.

I just don't see him as a high ceiling guy. His skillset isn't fantasy friendly and Safeco will do him no favors. He's closer to Gordon Beckham than Chase Utley. If Ackley ends up in the OF, he'll have as much fantasy value as every other Seattle OF not named Ichiro.

Sure, he'll be called up. He's already spent a full year in AAA and the Mariners need his bat. He's definitely worth burning waiver priority or a bid on because of positional scarcity. He's probably long gone in any dynasty format and deserves to be. I just don't see him as a high ceiling guy. His skillset isn't fantasy friendly and Safeco will do him no favors. He's closer to Gordon Beckham than Chase Utley. If Ackley ends up in the OF, he'll have as much fantasy value as every other Seattle OF not named Ichiro.
100% agree with this assessment.

Sure, he'll be called up. He's already spent a full year in AAA and the Mariners need his bat. He's definitely worth burning waiver priority or a bid on because of positional scarcity. He's probably long gone in any dynasty format and deserves to be. I just don't see him as a high ceiling guy. His skillset isn't fantasy friendly and Safeco will do him no favors. He's closer to Gordon Beckham than Chase Utley. If Ackley ends up in the OF, he'll have as much fantasy value as every other Seattle OF not named Ichiro.
Okay so I will disagree with both of you....Ackley at least for now will be a 2B/MI - one who will likely contribute double digit HR & SB with a good BAvg.....that's a lot to likeand Wrigley is in a keeper league which makes it even more interesting to go for the pickup even if he has to wait two weeks to get him into his lineup

Okay so I will disagree with both of you....Ackley at least for now will be a 2B/MI - one who will likely contribute double digit HR & SB with a good BAvg.....that's a lot to likeand Wrigley is in a keeper league which makes it even more interesting to go for the pickup even if he has to wait two weeks to get him into his lineup
Where is the good BA coming from? In 809 career minor league plate appearances, he has a .266 BA. That's supposed to improve in a pitchers park in the big leagues? As for the power/speed combo, he's hit one HR per 51 PAs and stole 16 bases in 179 games at a 72% clip. Explain how that translates into double digits for each in four months of his first MLB action.I think, at best, you're looking at a Mike Aviles level 2B for half a season. Not saying there isn't room for growth or that he won't be a fantasy regular for the next decade, but I really don't think he has much to offer a non-dynasty league owner in 2011.

We can agree to disagree about the stats but in a keeper league if you don't add him in 2011 you won't have him on your team in 2012

Yeah sorry guys

should have pointed out this is a keeper league

Hook had addressed this topic on another board, but as always I like to hear what the FBG's have to say

Yeah sorry guysshould have pointed out this is a keeper league Hook had addressed this topic on another board, but as always I like to hear what the FBG's have to say
I've got him in a dynasty league. I'd love to think Ryne Sandberg but I'm beginning to think Ryan Theriot. Best case scenario - Biggio? What do you think?

I don't see what all of the commotion is about. Seems like he could hit for average and get you some steals. Other than that.. meh.

Yeah sorry guysshould have pointed out this is a keeper league Hook had addressed this topic on another board, but as always I like to hear what the FBG's have to say
I've got him in a dynasty league. I'd love to think Ryne Sandberg but I'm beginning to think Ryan Theriot. Best case scenario - Biggio? What do you think?
If you believe Bill James, Biggio is a top ten all-time 2B. I doubt even Captain Hook believes Ackley will ever have a 50 SB season.I'd go with someone like Jeff Blauser, Jay Bell or Robbie Thompson as decent upside comps, with Bobby Grich as the absolute best case scenario. Grich was a helluva ballplayer, decent power, good OBP but not high AVG, a definite top tier HoVG guy. I don't think Ackley will be that good.

SO I was right?http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=588453&view=findpost&p=13091854

How about this, lets just sit back and see what this guy

can do. I picked him up last week in a keeper league.

If he does well, I'll consider on keeping him, if not,

I will drop him and take a chance on another prospect.

I don't see what all of the commotion is about. Seems like he could hit for average and get you some steals. Other than that.. meh.
Isn't this what you would want out of your two-bagger?not everyone can be Cano
It's nice, but the problem is, if he doesn't clear 20 HRs or 20 STLs, how high can he possibly get in the 2B rankings?Say he goes 10-15-.300 (probably a stretch in HRs/STLs). That's pretty much what Mike Aviles did last year.Nice to have, but not something to break the bank for. A decent fantasy starter, but not a league winner.Getting most of your value from AVG just doesn't leave alot of leeway. Unless he's elite in that regard, there's always a chance that he hits .280 and is completely worthless.He could certainly develop useful power down the road, but who knows when. He's already 23. He seems like be could be a nice guy to have, but not someone to grab ahold of and never let go in a keeper league.

I don't think most people are hyping him as if he's a superstar. The point is, he's still free in most redraft leagues right now and he's likely to be better than what a lot of us are running out there right now at 2b.

I picked him up over Jed Lawrie at 2b/SS fwiw.

While there is a very real danger that Ackley (BTW - activated yesterday so will be in the lineup THIS weekend)

will start slowly - he has at every new level so far - as some have posted he likely is better than what some people have at 2B or MI especially in deeper leagues.

And if he reaches a proration of what I think he will be next year - a .300 hitter with a solid shot at 20-20, how could he not be on Top Ten 2B lists?

I just had Barney go on the DL, so picked up Ackley. Reason #89 why Yahoo fantasy stinks: they list Ackley as an OF and not at 2B.

Never thought he was exceptionally talented. Watched him a ton in college because a good friend of my brother's also played for the Heels.

I don't see a star here. Maybe slightly above league average upside for fantasy :shrug:

'Captain Hook said:
While there is a very real danger that Ackley (BTW - activated yesterday so will be in the lineup THIS weekend)will start slowly - he has at every new level so far - as some have posted he likely is better than what some people have at 2B or MI especially in deeper leagues.And if he reaches a proration of what I think he will be next year - a .300 hitter with a solid shot at 20-20, how could he not be on Top Ten 2B lists?
Personally, I don't think he has a chance of hitting 20 HRs when half of his games are in Safeco.

'Captain Hook said:
While there is a very real danger that Ackley (BTW - activated yesterday so will be in the lineup THIS weekend)will start slowly - he has at every new level so far - as some have posted he likely is better than what some people have at 2B or MI especially in deeper leagues.And if he reaches a proration of what I think he will be next year - a .300 hitter with a solid shot at 20-20, how could he not be on Top Ten 2B lists?
Personally, I don't think he has a chance of hitting 20 HRs when half of his games are in Safeco.
Agree with my best buddy. That's not happening. (Speaking absolutes on your behalf)Hook has a man crush on Ackley. For the life of me I can't figure out why, but he's smitten.

'Captain Hook said:
Agree with my best buddy. That's not happening. Hook has a man crush on Ackley. For the life of me I can't figure out why, but he's smitten.
:thumbup:

Ok, so being serious, there's a bit more upside than most would have you believe. He had a terrible first month of the season, and has been flat raking since then. He's also hit for more power this year than he ever has, and he wouldn't be the first player to develop power a little later. His BB/K rate is absurd, he's got a great eye, and if you play in an OBP league like I do he's a no brainer get for the middle infield even as a rookie. He'll probably start off hitting at the ### end of the order, but I'd bet he'll be in the 2 hole behind ichiro sooner rather than later. Ryan has been in the 2 hole for a while now, and he's not producing, and Wedge has shown he'll move people up when they're producing, and there's no real reason to think he won't produce. He may struggle out of the gate, he's done that at every level, but it doesn't take him too long to get his sea legs, and once he does, he'll hit.

Ok, so being serious, there's a bit more upside than most would have you believe. He had a terrible first month of the season, and has been flat raking since then. He's also hit for more power this year than he ever has, and he wouldn't be the first player to develop power a little later. His BB/K rate is absurd, he's got a great eye, and if you play in an OBP league like I do he's a no brainer get for the middle infield even as a rookie. He'll probably start off hitting at the ### end of the order, but I'd bet he'll be in the 2 hole behind ichiro sooner rather than later. Ryan has been in the 2 hole for a while now, and he's not producing, and Wedge has shown he'll move people up when they're producing, and there's no real reason to think he won't produce. He may struggle out of the gate, he's done that at every level, but it doesn't take him too long to get his sea legs, and once he does, he'll hit.
PCL stats=The Zimbabwe dollar

I'm aware. I'm not expecting him to hit .350 with 25 home runs. I'm expecting him to be adequate with the potential for more, and I think he's got a pretty damn high floor.

Robert Mugabe is a five tool dictator

:lmao:

:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:

He's already proved he can hit AAA pitching. Taking Worley deep is just solidifying that fact.
I'm a Mariner fan. The last high level prospect I got to root for takes pictures of himself in the mirror and is generally weird as all hell while playing for the f'n Yankees. It's been years. I don't care who he's hitting home runs off.Edit: Also, it's nice to have a bat that can hit AAA pitching in the lineup

He's already proved he can hit AAA pitching. Taking Worley deep is just solidifying that fact.
I'm a Mariner fan. The last high level prospect I got to root for takes pictures of himself in the mirror and is generally weird as all hell while playing for the f'n Yankees. It's been years. I don't care who he's hitting home runs off.Edit: Also, it's nice to have a bat that can hit AAA pitching in the lineup
pineda and king felix down?

pineda and king felix down?
I meant hitting prospect. Should have been more specific. :shrug:

Hitting .308, slugging .692, coming into today's game he's swung at 21 pitches, hasn't missed a one. Oh, and he faced Cole Hamels in one of those starts. Already up to 5th in the order.

Also, he looks deliberate in the field like you'd expect someone who's only played 2b for a couple years to be, but he doesn't at all look overmatched there. He'll probably get better defensively too.

Hitting .308, slugging .692, coming into today's game he's swung at 21 pitches, hasn't missed a one. Oh, and he faced Cole Hamels in one of those starts. Already up to 5th in the order. Also, he looks deliberate in the field like you'd expect someone who's only played 2b for a couple years to be, but he doesn't at all look overmatched there. He'll probably get better defensively too.
A half hour later he has a sub .300 OBP. Both sides probably should wait more than 4 games before they puff out their chest.

Hitting .308, slugging .692, coming into today's game he's swung at 21 pitches, hasn't missed a one. Oh, and he faced Cole Hamels in one of those starts. Already up to 5th in the order. Also, he looks deliberate in the field like you'd expect someone who's only played 2b for a couple years to be, but he doesn't at all look overmatched there. He'll probably get better defensively too.
A half hour later he has a sub .300 OBP. Both sides probably should wait more than 4 games before they puff out their chest.
I realize that it's been a small sample size, but I'd much rather have an encouraging first 4 games than a discouraging first 4 games. Plus, his OBP is the one thing I'm not at all worried about. It'll come.

I realize that it's been a small sample size, but I'd much rather have an encouraging first 4 games than a discouraging first 4 games. Plus, his OBP is the one thing I'm not at all worried about. It'll come.
How does he look at 2B?

How does he look at 2B?
Solid. A lot better than I thought. Started a very nice DP tonight, was a part of two others. He doesn't look as slick as Ryan or Wilson in the field, but I haven't seen anything in the last week that makes me think he isn't going to stick at 2b.

I didn't mind 1-3 with a home run, a run, a couple RBI, a steal, and a walk at 2b in my obp league today. Maybe you guys have better options than I do. :shrug:

Oh, and the HR came against Johnny Venters. He's allowed lefties a .499 OPS this year and this is the 2nd home run he's allowed in his career. Is that good?

Users who are viewing this thread