What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 2006 Rookie Drafts: Noticing a trend (1 Viewer)

carlosnphilly

Footballguy
4 separate dynasty leagues I own a pick #9-#12 in each. Owners in the 6-8 positions are wanting to trade down like crazy. (Most are decent at QB and TE & in most cases the draft has scrambled their RB situations....so they're scrambling for a RB)

I've noticed these owners are wanting the farm for these picks as well. I found in all of these cases they are the ones stuck in the quandry:

1) They aren't able to trade their pick to move up to the 5 RB's (because the top 5 are wanting quite a bit, which is understandable given they'll get one of the top 5 RB's)

2) they aren't drafting a position of need with Young/Leinart/Davis

3) Weak WR class & both of the top WR's landed in less than ideal places.

4) Draft scrambled their draft so much they'd prefer Drew, etc..... but know they'd be stretching by taking them 6,7.....

Anyone with a #6-#8 pick or picks#9-#12 care to chime in with your thoughts and what's happening within your league?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sitting at 8 and have no problem with it as I need a Qb. But if I were forced to pick a wr or rb at 6-8 I would not like my choices.

Interesting, and probably league specific.

Off hand, I see the tiers breaking in a few places.

1 - Bush, by himself

2-5 - you really could argue for any of these guys, although 2,3 are generally the same guys

6 - At least for me, VD is in a class by himself, but not above the RBs

7-10 - the WRs/QBs.

Part of what you're seeing, is as you said - most teams with mid-late picks are probably fairly strong at WR/QB. So they don't want a QB, and the WRs aren't that great. Combine that with a pretty strong 2nd round, and I'd be pretty sure most people will want to move down.

I've had one draft go so far, I had the #7, this league is less RB friendly than most, and White fell to me (VY, Leinart went earlier). I was pleased, but after him, the next bunch seem relatively equal.

In another, I have the 1.10, don't really need a QB, but as this league is very WR friendly, I suspect I'll walk away with Leinart. I'd like to move up, but as you said, people with the 6-8 picks want a lot. Draft is this week, I might be surprised.

I'm drafting from the number 9 spot in our rookie draft and I've pretty much resigned myself to sitting where I am and taking whatever falls to me. The way I see the draft going is 5 rbs, 3 qbs, and Vernon Davis will be the first 9 picks. I'm going to assume that the 5 rbs will go before 9th pick, that leaves 3 qbs and Vernon Davis. If 1 team takes Davis then I'll be left with 1 of Leinart, Young, and Cutler which suits my fine because QB is probably one of my weaker areas as I'm heading into 2006 with Aaron Brooks as my starter and a lot of also rans. If all 5 rbs and 3 qbs are taken, then I'm left with TE Vernon Davis which is fine for me, I've got my heir apparent to Tony Gonzalez.

I think it 7 deep IMO..Bush,williams,Maroney,Addai,White,Matt L. and Young.Outside of those i would have already traded the pick a while ago and got a solid player. I like VD but i can get more out of a trade since all my teams are set at TE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the most ignorant comments I've read in a while.Holmes goes to Pittsburgh. He has to battle Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington for a starting job. He has one of the best young QBs in the league. What's not ideal?

C Jackson goes to NE. He has to battle Reche Caldwell and Bethel Johnson for a starting job. He has a Hall of Famer at QB who is still a few years from reaching 30. What's not ideal?

3) both of the top WR's landed in less than ideal places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you figure?6-8 is an ideal spot if you're not RB needy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The # of teams in the 6-8 spots that aren't RB needy are in the minority. Teams in standard leagues always need RB's. Generally, if you won your league or runner up (and drafting 11-12), those are the teams not needing RB's.What I've seen is these owners in this area own McAllister, Foster, C.Brown, etc....who lost value on draft day. These owners are unsuccessfully trying to add a RB via trade to trade down a few spots.....then take Jackson/Holmes (a lot more likely to fall to latter 1st than Young/Leinart) or Maurice Drew and so forth.

I am sitting at 8 and have no problem with it as I need a Qb. But if I were forced to pick a wr or rb at 6-8 I would not like my choices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vernon davis baby!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pretty sure in my league he'll never make it to 8 and really that's fine with me, yes he's good but the hype machine is infull gear with this fella.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, Davis = OverratedMy tiers:

Bush

Williams

Maroney

White

Addai

Cutler

Leinert

Jackson

Holmes

Young

Davis

Drew

Lewis

I agree with the original poster, he's specifically talking about picks worthy of 1.06-1.08. Reading Is Fundamental.

Pitt's top WR had 69 catches, 975 yards, and 11 TD's. The second had 35-558-1. Unless Holmes is going to take over the 1 spot, you can hope for about 50-775-4. Nothing to get excited about.

Same case in NE - the 1 gets the lions share and Brady spreads the ball around.

It's unlikely either of these guys go that high and as the OP stated, you are almost forced into a QB/Davis pick in that spot.

I am sitting at 6 and will get one of the top RB for sure,

Leinart or Young always go in the first 5 .

Bush , Maroney , Williams , Addai , White , Young , Leinart , Davis , Culer are usually the first 9.

I would be confortable with Lendale White at 6 ( he will take Brown's job ) by week 8.

I agree with the original poster, he's specifically talking about picks worthy of 1.06-1.08.  Reading Is Fundamental.

Pitt's top WR had 69 catches, 975 yards, and 11 TD's.  The second had 35-558-1.  Unless Holmes is going to take over the 1 spot, you can hope for about 50-775-4.  Nothing to get excited about.

It's unlikely either of these guys go that high and as the OP stated, you are almost forced into a QB/Davis pick in that spot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ummm, look a bit further back in time. The main reason that Pitt's #2 WR had subpar stats was because they have severly subpar ABILITY. Holmes is IMO a better WR than El and Wilson were/are right now, fresh out of college.

I agree with the original poster, he's specifically talking about picks worthy of 1.06-1.08.  Reading Is Fundamental.

Pitt's top WR had 69 catches, 975 yards, and 11 TD's.  The second had 35-558-1.  Unless Holmes is going to take over the 1 spot, you can hope for about 50-775-4.  Nothing to get excited about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:shrug: even if that's true, that's about the same as Drew Bennet, top 40. Maybe nothing to get excited about, but do you really expect to get a top 20 WR with the #6-8 rookie pick? Maybe I'm setting my sites too low with rookie picks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
t do you really expect to get a top 20 WR with the #6-8 rookie pick?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably not from this year's class. Most years I'd expect the first couple WR's selected to have that potential. I just don't see it here at all.

do you really expect to get a top 20 WR with the #6-8 rookie pick?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably not from this year's class. Most years I'd expect the first couple WR's selected to have that potential. I just don't see it here at all.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair enough. I do agree that the top WRs aren't on par with the last couple years. These two seem to be in positions where they'll be decent #3 or 4 WRs in FF for their careers. Not exciting, but solid.

4 separate dynasty leagues I own a pick #9-#12 in each. Owners in the 6-8 positions are wanting to trade down like crazy. (Most are decent at QB and TE & in most cases the draft has scrambled their RB situations....so they're scrambling for a RB)

I've noticed these owners are wanting the farm for these picks as well. I found in all of these cases they are the ones stuck in the quandry:

1) They aren't able to trade their pick to move up to the 5 RB's (because the top 5 are wanting quite a bit, which is understandable given they'll get one of the top 5 RB's)

2) they aren't drafting a position of need with Young/Leinart/Davis

4) Draft scrambled their draft so much they'd prefer Drew, etc..... but know they'd be stretching by taking them 6,7.....

Anyone with a #6-#8 pick or picks#9-#12 care to chime in with your thoughts and what's happening within your league?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just traded down from 1.07 to 1.09. My team is deep at QB (knock wood) so trading down just made sense. I was going to take Leinart if the trade did not go through despite the depth. I got a late round pick out of the deal so it was better than just reaching.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the most ignorant comments I've read in a while.Holmes goes to Pittsburgh. He has to battle Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington for a starting job. He has one of the best young QBs in the league. What's not ideal?

C Jackson goes to NE. He has to battle Reche Caldwell and Bethel Johnson for a starting job. He has a Hall of Famer at QB who is still a few years from reaching 30. What's not ideal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pittsburgh is not a pass first team and Hine Ward is there...NE uses all of their players in the passing offense, including defensive players. Too many targets that all get looks. Terrible place for Jackson to end up, FF wise...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pittsburgh is not a pass first team and Hine Ward is there...NE uses all of their players in the passing offense, including defensive players. Too many targets that all get looks. Terrible place for Jackson to end up, FF wise...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pittsburgh finds enough TD passes throughout the year. They didn't have trouble when Plax was there with Ward.Brady is gonna throw 25-30 TDs. Do you think they spread it around because they are forced to or because a lot of their WR suck? Jackson has decent size, excellent speed, and good hands. He has a HOF QB. Again, what's not to like?

From a pure talent standpoint, this year's top 8 is more talented than last year, and likely to yield more true impact FF players. There are four very talented RBs who have feature back potential, another solid prospect at RB that landed in a plum situation, A top running QB, always gold for fantasy, a QB with best WR tandem in the league, and a TE prospect with one of the highest upsides we've ever seen at the position.

What's not to like about the top 8?

I own pick 1.06 in one league and I am comfortable with staying there and waiting to see what falls to me. I see it as a can't miss opportunity to take BPA of Davis a WR or Qb of my choice as I expect the top 5 Rbs to be gone.

If someone does take one of these players ahead of me then I have an option to add another Rb to my hoard if I want to.

Owners at pick 1.07 and 1.08 have tried to move up to my slot but only want to give belly button lint to do so. One guy offered me a 5th round pick to do him a favor..

I don't see the picks in this range being a problem at all unless your team need must be a Rb. If that is the case then you should be trying to trade for a Rb and picks in this range are a good place to start...

Only reason I see for trading back to pick 1.08 or later is if you can really get somthing for it... those players will require more paitence.

I think that people might be wanting to move back to the bottom half of the top 10, because if they can't get a back, there's several guys they'd be happy with. SO why not try and get something extra?

I have 1.10, and it was quite easy to come up with a list of 10 players I'd be happy with. Now, if you are trying to make a list of just 6 or 7 names, I think it's harder, which QB do you leave off, etc.

Now, if they are trying to move back, fine, but if they are asking for the moon, that's a different story.

Pittsburgh finds enough TD passes throughout the year.  They didn't have trouble when Plax was there with Ward.

Brady is gonna throw 25-30 TDs.  Do you think they spread it around because they are forced to or because a lot of their WR suck?  Jackson has decent size, excellent speed, and good hands.  He has a HOF QB.  Again, what's not to like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: on both counts.I'm amazed at some the football ignorance being tossed around in this thread. Both receivers landed in spots where they should be in the starting lineup pretty quickly, and both have exceptionally capable qbs throwing to them. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what is.

From a pure talent standpoint, this year's top 8 is more talented than last year, and likely to yield more true impact FF players. There are four very talented RBs who have feature back potential, another solid prospect at RB that landed in a plum situation, A top running QB, always gold for fantasy, a QB with best WR tandem in the league, and a TE prospect with one of the highest upsides we've ever seen at the position.

What's not to like about the top 8?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got the 1.11 pick in the [DYNASTY] league in the signature... and I'm not sure which way to go...As you can see, I only have Palmer at QB - need depth at RB - could grab a young WR - and would love a sack artist at DE (since our league only rewards IDP for Sacks and Ints - Top DEs are golden in this league)...

I would assume that the top 5 RBs and Davis are gone... Holmes and Jackson also...

What would you aim for?...

1. Leinart, Young or Cutler for a long term Palmer backup... (I would assume I can get that in later years also);

2. Drew / Norwood / Calhoun... anyone could stand out... but which one?...

3. Moss / Jennings... I'm not too hot on any of them as a 1st round pick... should I go Holmes or Jackson if one falls there?

4. Super Mario... since sack artists are untouchable and in that league (salary cap league where DE at generally underpriced)...

Looking at other rookie drafts... one would think that QB is the way to go here... but is that the same when you play in a league where QB salaries are overpriced (40-50$ for a guy on the bench?) and since QBs don't have much trade value - everyone has 3 already - what's the worth of Alex Smith when the other owner already has Hasselbeck, Rothliesberger and Rivers on board?

Are Leinart, Young and Cutler that good to warrant FF starter/elite status down the road and not grab the usual RB (or top WR) in the first round?

If any of them fall to me, I jump on it and run?...

What would you do?

Pittsburgh finds enough TD passes throughout the year.  They didn't have trouble when Plax was there with Ward.

Brady is gonna throw 25-30 TDs.  Do you think they spread it around because they are forced to or because a lot of their WR suck?  Jackson has decent size, excellent speed, and good hands.  He has a HOF QB.  Again, what's not to like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: on both counts.I'm amazed at some the football ignorance being tossed around in this thread. Both receivers landed in spots where they should be in the starting lineup pretty quickly, and both have exceptionally capable qbs throwing to them. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Jackson is going to a good situation for him, and for the Pats, but not so sure about fantasy. To answer the rhetorical question posed by Ramblin Wreck, I think they spread it around because that's their offense. They already have a young #1 WR, and about 37 TE's they like. So yeah, I think there's questions about his fantasy outlook.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't necessarily think it's the spots they landed in, but rather when they were actually drafted that has many people down on them...we've been so used to seeing multiple WR's going in the top 20 picks the past few years, that when the top WR chosen barely makes it in the first round doubts arise about how good they can really be (no matter where they were drafted into).When just last year a guy like Troy Williamson goes in the top 10 and basically does nothing his rookie year....than sees a guy like Chad Jackson who is bigger and timed out just as fast, but still falls to the 2nd round, there has to be reasons for that and NFL brass must believe the upside of this WR class is limited.

Vernon Davis went #4 in my league today.

Bush

Maroney

D. Williams

V. Davis

J. Addai

L. White

M. Leinart

Vince Young

M. Huff

Sinorice Moss

Mario Williams

Chad Jackson

AJ Hawk

B. Calhoun

J. Norwood

S. Holmes

J. Cutler

E. Sims

DQ Jackson

Manny Lawson

The 2 time defending champ was able to make a number of deals utilizing his depth to move from #8 to #1.

The eventual trade up from #2 to #1 was

Rothlesberger

Corey Dillon

Donald Driver

for

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't necessarily think it's the spots they landed in, but rather when they were actually drafted that has many people down on them...we've been so used to seeing multiple WR's going in the top 20 picks the past few years, that when the top WR chosen barely makes it in the first round doubts arise about how good they can really be (no matter where they were drafted into).When just last year a guy like Troy Williamson goes in the top 10 and basically does nothing his rookie year....than sees a guy like Chad Jackson who is bigger and timed out just as fast, but still falls to the 2nd round, there has to be reasons for that and NFL brass must believe the upside of this WR class is limited.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand this this year's WR crop is weaker than the last few years. If somebody wants to argue that Holme/Jackson/Moss/whoever will bust becaue he just isn't really all that good, that's cool. Given how often WRs bust, that's a pretty safe prediction.I just don't see the need to gild the lilly by making up some story about how Holmes and Jackson ended up in bad situations. They ended up in great situations. If they bust, it will be because of their own shortcomings. It won't be because of their teams.

I'm sitting at 11 right now and the guy at 8 has been houding me for the past week. I told him I wasn't interested in moving up at all, yet he keeps offering me 1.08 for 1.11 + Cedric Benson. Yeah, that's not happening.

I think most will be happy to end up with Cutler/Norwood/Holmes/Jackson at 11.

Sitting at 11, I don't see a need to move up unless we get to the 6th or 7th pick and a guy I really like has slid farther than expected, but if that happens the price for that pick will go up.

If you are at 6-8, I think the key is your need at QB. If you need a QB, you can almost guarantee a shot at Leinart or Young. If you don't need/want a QB, then you have to reach for a WR, 2nd tier RB, or take a QB you don't need.

There is much more value getting an extra pick or player, drop down, and take that WR or 2nd tier RB, where value for the pick is greater.

It makes sense at this point (prior to drafts) to move down and increase value for a guy you want. It won't make sense to move up until you can guarantee the guy you are moving up for. :hophead:

I was at 1.07 today and was looking to trade down. Got this offer so I took it.

I gave:

1.07 rookie (all top 5 RBs and V. Davis were gone)

Dallas Clark

I got:

Tony Gonzalez

Mark Clayton

3.10 rookie

I would have taken Young (and been happy) but I thought I got good value with the trade so I took it. I already have a ton of QBs.

I was sitting at #7 and having a need at every position I thought that my best option was to trade down while picking up the 'right value' Now some people might disagree and that is fine but when it became apparant that I could swap 7 for 9 and 17 I jumped on the chance. Having rated Cutler as the 7th best player on my board and being pretty certain he would be there at 9 the only question left was whom would I get at 17. I targeted Calhoun, Norwood, and Harrison at 17 and I ended up with Calhoun.

I think trading down gave my team considerably more value than if I had decided to sit tight. However an argument can be made for other lines of thought when seeing that the first 8 picks went... Bush,Young,Maroney,White,Davis,Williams,Addi, and Lienart.

Im still happy with the trade. You gotta take some risks.

Kevin

was offered the 1.12 & 2.01 for my 1.07 pick..... I jumped on it.

I have a nice , well-rounded team with a nice mix of youth and vets.

Users who are viewing this thread