What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it ever OK to play an inferior lineup in FF (a pole)? (1 Viewer)

Is it ever acceptable to purposely play an inferior lineup to try and lose in FF? (Read first post)

• Yes (post reason in thread)

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 48 64.9%

• Total voters
Also, I know I've said this before, but "not trying to win" is absolutely NOT the same as "trying to lose".
Thats a good way to put it, but it seems like "not trying to win" has also been chalked up to an integrity issue for some here.

I have problems with the "Best lineup angle" as I don't believe this is ever clear cut. There are best ball formats for a reason.

My bar is probably a bit hypocritical, but I think full on tanks are bad, while subtle tanking is acceptable.

Also, I know I've said this before, but "not trying to win" is absolutely NOT the same as "trying to lose".
Thats a good way to put it, but it seems like "not trying to win" has also been chalked up to an integrity issue for some here.

I have problems with the "Best lineup angle" as I don't believe this is ever clear cut. There are best ball formats for a reason.

My bar is probably a bit hypocritical, but I think full on tanks are bad, while subtle tanking is acceptable.
Making trades to put your team in a better position for the following year and beyond would = "not trying to win"

What about cutting a guy in the twilight of his career for a RB on a practice squad. Tanking or rebuilding?

Rebuilding is a fancy name for tanking, the outcome is the same, you’re fielding a lesser lineup this season for better potential next year. And your impacting the competitive balance of the
League in the current year in both scenarios.
there will always be a corner case if a corner case.

If “the guy in the twilight of his career” isn’t contributing, there’s nothing impactful about such a move, so that’s a little disingenuous. It’s not tanking, it’s cutting bait on a dead roster spot for a future prospect.

If “the guy in the twilight of his career” is contributing, why wouldn’t you just trade that guy rather than drop him? That’s far, far more likely in a dynasty league where contributing assets have value.

Rebuilding isn’t tanking at all, much less just another word for it.

Tanking is putting productive players on the bench to start a lesser lineup, deliberately losing a game to impact draft stock.

These are totally different things.
From wiki on tanking….

When Jon Gruden retook control of the Oakland Raiders prior to the 2018 NFL season he liquidated most of the Raiders' talent, most notably trading five-time Pro Bowler Khalil Mack to the Chicago Bears for two first round draft picks (one of which was used to select Josh Jacobs), leading to accusations that he was intentionally tanking the team in hopes of fielding a competitive team when the Raiders moved to Las Vegas in 2020.[17][18][19] The Raiders, who had finished 12–4 and qualified for the playoffs two seasons prior, finished the 2018 seasonwith only four wins, but saw significant improvement in 2019thanks to strong play from the team's rookies.[citation needed]

The Miami Dolphins were accused of tanking during the 2019 NFL season when new head coach Brian Flores oversaw a similar liquidation of the team's established talent.[20] In September, tackle Laremy Tunsiland safety Minkah Fitzpatrickwere sent to contending football teams in exchange for future draft picks; both would subsequently be named to the Pro Bowl.[21] After starting the season 0–7, however, the 2019 Dolphins won 5 of their last 9 games. The victories denied Miami the first overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft, although the team was able to select Alabamaquarterback Tua Tagovailoa, whom they were rumored to have been deliberately losing games for.[22][23] The next season, the 2020 Dolphins went 10–6 and missed the playoffs by one game, while the trade of Tunsil allowed them to obtain the third overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.[24]
I don't think this is tanking in the true sense of the word, as they're just trading assets to prepare their teams for the future. I understand this article is defining it as such and the term is sometimes used this way.

To me, and this is how I think of it terms of fantasty football is intentionally losing the games at the end of the season to try to get the #1 draft pick as some teams have been suspected of doing. Or when the Colts played Curtis Painter all year and never made an effort to get a better QB so they could draft Luck.

Trading old assets (or any asset for that matter) for draft picks or younger players, is an OK form of tanking. Playing 3rd string RBs that don't play, or injured players, or bye week players, in place of older assets that are producing, is a bad form of tanking.

Trading old assets (or any asset for that matter) for draft picks or younger players, is an OK form of tanking. Playing 3rd string RBs that don't play, or injured players, or bye week players, in place of older assets that are producing, is a bad form of tanking.
I can agree with this. That said, league rules should address the various forms of tanking if they want certain forms banned.

May have been mentioned earlier, but what's the thought on leaving a first round rookie pick on the taxi squad for a year knowing you're not a contender?

May have been mentioned earlier, but what's the thought on leaving a first round rookie pick on the taxi squad for a year knowing you're not a contender?
Legal according to most league rules. i have no qualms with this. The taxi squad is its own animal, and league rules determine duration.

Legal according to most league rules. i have no qualms with this. The taxi squad is its own animal, and league rules determine duration.
Sure its legal. But I was a bit surprised with the unethical viewing of certain aspects of dynasty management. If I drafted Bijan and left him on my taxi squad all year, are the same people mad about benching him mad about that?

Sure its legal. But I was a bit surprised with the unethical viewing of certain aspects of dynasty management. If I drafted Bijan and left him on my taxi squad all year, are the same people mad about benching him mad about that?
of course not, you're making a decision in the best long term interest of your team. this is much more like trading assets for draft picks. you're not intentionally losing games.

of course not, you're making a decision in the best long term interest of your team. this is much more like trading assets for draft picks. you're not intentionally losing games.
ID argue that you are intestinally losing games at that point. You're not playing your best lineup.

But I also agree this is acceptable.

I think I'm having a hard time understanding how some people view not starting your best players vs not making good players available to start is ethical/unethical based on how they choose to view it. Ultimately a team is reducing their chance to win a game to acquire more talent in the long run.

ID argue that you are intestinally losing games at that point. You're not playing your best lineup.

I think I'm having a hard time understanding how some people view not starting your best players vs not making good players available to start is ethical/unethical based on how they choose to view it. Ultimately a team is reducing their chance to win a game to acquire more talent in the long run.
have to put forth your best effort to win each individual game with the eligible players on your roster. that's pretty much it.

have to put forth your best effort to win each individual game with the eligible players on your roster. that's pretty much it.
Yeah its the ridiculousness of making a player eligible or not that gets equated to ethics... that's what I find hypocritical.

For me it depends on whether or not there is a reason to leave that player on the TS that benefits the team in some way other than playing a worse player.

For example, we have limits on the length of time you can keep a player. So that clock doesn't start until the player is off the TS. In that case I have no issue with keeping a stud on TS if you don't have a competitive team because in the long run you will be able to keep that player longer.

If however there is no benefit to leaving a guy on the TS other than you don't have to start the guy then I don't get why you leave him on the TS. That could be construed as trying to lose and intentionally playing a worse lineup.

Tough lineup decisions that are coin flips where you aren't sure the best option is not what is in question. That is not a "best lineup angle" that I am referring to.

The "best lineup angle" is an owner purposely playing a player he believes is inferior to the player he leaves on the bench in an attempt to lose. It is the mindset for the decision being called into question. If the owner says. I am going to play player A because I believe he will score less than player B. If I was trying to win the to win a title I would play player B but since I want to lose I am going to play player A.

That is what is being called into question. The intent of the decision.

If Bijan was on my taxi squad, and I have no chance to win with or without him in the lineup, I'm definitely leaving him in the taxi squad.
What horrible dynasty manage is going to ruin his future chances to go 2-12 instead of 0-14 just for this one year when it could mean losing out on a title run the year Bijans contract would be up?
Silly

For me it depends on whether or not there is a reason to leave that player on the TS that benefits the team in some way other than playing a worse player.

For example, we have limits on the length of time you can keep a player. So that clock doesn't start until the player is off the TS. In that case I have no issue with keeping a stud on TS if you don't have a competitive team because in the long run you will be able to keep that player longer.

If however there is no benefit to leaving a guy on the TS other than you don't have to start the guy then I don't get why you leave him on the TS. That could be construed as trying to lose and intentionally playing a worse lineup.
No time limits. This is as simple as I know I'm not a championship team. I drafted Bijan and can leave him on the TS for a year as a rookie to have an extra roster spot to utilize during the year. Starting Bijan makes my team score more points, and I choose not to do that. How is that more ethical than benching him for a week?

Tough lineup decisions that are coin flips where you aren't sure the best option is not what is in question. That is not a "best lineup angle" that I am referring to.

The "best lineup angle" is an owner purposely playing a player he believes is inferior to the player he leaves on the bench in an attempt to lose. It is the mindset for the decision being called into question. If the owner says. I am going to play player A because I believe he will score less than player B. If I was trying to win the to win a title I would play player B but since I want to lose I am going to play player A.

That is what is being called into question. The intent of the decision.
The intent is improving draft stock or playoff seeding. The attempt to lose vs putting a team in a situation to lose are irrelevant to me.

No time limits. This is as simple as I know I'm not a championship team. I drafted Bijan and can leave him on the TS for a year as a rookie to have an extra roster spot to utilize during the year. Starting Bijan makes my team score more points, and I choose not to do that. How is that more ethical than benching him for a week?
To me it would not be. I am not sure the purpose of the TS if there is no keeper benefits to it. Why even have a TS if there is no purpose to it other than to hide good players to make your team worse?

To me it would not be. I am not sure the purpose of the TS if there is no keeper benefits to it. Why even have a TS if there is no purpose to it other than to hide good players to make your team worse?
TS is for players you have the rights to, but don't intend to start. Most leagues I've seen allow rookies to stay there to not impact roster limits.

Yeah its the ridiculousness of making a player eligible or not that gets equated to ethics... that's what I find hypocritical.
It’s not hypocritical. It’s exactly what taxi squads are for.

In all my leagues with TS, once activated, a player cannot be put back on the taxi squad.

Compare this to *benching* a Bijan Robinson (to use your example) it’s not analogous because you can then start Bijan the next week with no roster consequences.

So it’s a different choice. Will Bijan count against your active roster from that point forward? Ok, someone else needs to be dropped for that. There’s a cost to activating a TS player. There’s a cost to dealing players for picks.

Merely swapping out Bijan to increase your chances of a loss that week is not at all the same thing. There is no correlating cost to doing this - merely a cheap benefit to one’s draft capital.

In every attempt to draw equivalence to rebuilding or TS, y’all seem to be missing critical details that belie the premise.

It’s not hypocritical. It’s exactly what taxi squads are for.

In all my leagues with TS, once activated, a player cannot be put back on the taxi squad.

Compare this to *benching* a Bijan Robinson (to use your example) it’s not analogous because you can then start Bijan the next week with no roster consequences.

So it’s a different choice. Will Bijan count against your active roster from that point forward? Ok, someone else needs to be dropped for that. There’s a cost to activating a TS player. There’s a cost to dealing players for picks.

Merely swapping out Bijan to increase your chances of a loss that week is not at all the same thing. There is no correlating cost to doing this - merely a cheap benefit to one’s draft capital.

In every attempt to draw equivalence to rebuilding or TS, y’all seem to be missing critical details that belie the premise.
I guess I just fundamentally disagree with you. If you're leaving Bijon your taxi squad you're doing the exact same thing as benching him. Not trying to win each week.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with you. If you're leaving Bijon your taxi squad you're doing the exact same thing as benching him. Not trying to win each week.
And yet it’s clearly not the same thing.

It might be a similar result, but the mechanics involved are different.

Benching a player =/= leaving a player on the TS. This isn’t ambiguous, nor is it a minor detail.

The devil is in the details.

Benching a player =/= leaving a player on the TS. This isn’t ambiguous, nor is it a minor detail.

Again I disagree. The overall impact the league is the same. Drawing an ethical line there doesn't add up.

Again I disagree. The overall impact the league is the same. Drawing an ethical line there doesn't add up.
Each to their own. I see the difference as pretty obvious, but we can agree to disagree.

Presumptively, the reason you leave someone on the taxi squad is that you don't expect them to score points and help you win games this year. (I've never been in a league with a taxi squad, so correct me if I'm wrong.) Why would you leave someone on the taxi squad, rookie or 35 years old, unless you thought they were going to put up fewer points than the guys you're choosing to include on your active roster? If you do in fact put someone on the taxi squad that you expect to score more points then any players on your active roster, how is that "ethically" different from leaving a guy on the bench whom you expect to score more points than your starters? What other advantage is there to putting them on the taxi squad?

ETA: I suppose an argument could be made that Player A is on your active roster because you think he's more matchup dependent, and could be a very good start certain weeks, whereas player B, though you expect him to score more points throughout the season, would have fewer weeks that you'd actually start him due to being more consistent and less matchup dependent. 🤷‍♂️

But either way, in the example of Bijan versus Tank Bigsby, it would require an essentially equally absurd argument to make your case for leaving Bijan on the taxi squad for Bigsby.

how is that "ethically" different from leaving a guy on the bench whom you expect to score more points than your starters? What other advantage is there to putting them on the taxi squad?
In my league you can only keep players a certain number of years. That clock doesn't start until the player is on the active roster. So by putting a player on the TS you are delaying the start of that clock. In this situation putting a guy like Bijan on the TS has a long term advantage plus you put them on before the season starts so you don't know for sure they will produce as expected. Another reason to put them on TS even if you believe they can help you....there is no guarantee they will at the time you put them on the TS.

Presumptively, the reason you leave someone on the taxi squad is that you don't expect them to score points and help you win games this year. (I've never been in a league with a taxi squad, so correct me if I'm wrong.) Why would you leave someone on the taxi squad, rookie or 35 years old, unless you thought they were going to put up fewer points than the guys you're choosing to include on your active roster? If you do in fact put someone on the taxi squad that you expect to score more points then any players on your active roster, how is that "ethically" different from leaving a guy on the bench whom you expect to score more points than your starters? What other advantage is there to putting them on the taxi squad?

ETA: I suppose an argument could be made that Player A is on your active roster because you think he's more matchup dependent, and could be a very good start certain weeks, whereas player B, though you expect him to score more points throughout the season, would have fewer weeks that you'd actually start him due to being more consistent and less matchup dependent. 🤷‍♂️

But either way, in the example of Bijan versus Tank Bigsby, it would require an essentially equally absurd argument to make your case for leaving Bijan on the taxi squad for Bigsby.
The reason you’d leave them on the TS is
1. They don’t count against active roster limits
2. They don’t accrue contract years (if applicable)
3. They don’t count against salary cap (if applicable)
4. For the same reason you’d bench them, to benefit your draft status the next year assuming you aren’t competitive anyway.

But the difference between #4 and benching Bijan to tank is that (again) there is a cost to activating Bijan from the TS.

There is no cost in benching him.

It’s a subtle, yet important difference. As I said above, both achieve the same results, so I understand why folks might be confused about the nuance, but IMO it’s fairly obvious.

Especially in light of most leagues having “no tanking” rules, where benching a top tier player is an obvious violation, while keeping one on the TS is a legal move since they can’t simply be swapped back and forth to the active roster like benching can.

to me it comes down to cost. There’s no cost / penalty to putting a player on the bench, while keeping a player on the TS costs a TS squad spot (most leagues with TS have limits) and active roster position cost if one activates said player.

And ethically speaking, there can be no question about a rebuilding team with a top tier player on the taxi squad. They’re running out the same lineup every week regardless of opponent. The team with a top tier player deliberately benched calls into question why they’re giving their opponent a softer matchup. Sure, one can say they’re doing it to benefit themselves, but there’s also a benefit to that week’s opponent. Usually it’s best to avoid those questions in FF in my experience.

Like I said above - the results look similar, but the methods are vastly different. Just because two cars arrive at the same gas station doesn’t mean they took the same route to get there.

Last edited:

The reason you’d leave them on the TS is
1. They don’t count against active roster limits
2. They don’t accrue contract years (if applicable)
3. They don’t count against salary cap (if applicable)
4. For the same reason you’d bench them, to benefit your draft status the next year assuming you aren’t competitive anyway.

But the difference between #4 and benching Bijan to tank is that (again) there is a cost to activating Bijan from the TS.

There is no cost in benching him.

It’s a subtle, yet important difference. As I said above, both achieve the same results, so I understand why folks might be confused about the nuance, but IMO it’s fairly obvious.

Especially in light of most leagues having “no tanking” rules, where benching a top tier player is an obvious violation, while keeping one on the TS is a legal move since they can’t simply be swapped back and forth to the active roster like benching can.

to me it comes down to cost. There’s no cost / penalty to putting a player on the bench, while keeping a player on the TS costs a TS squad spot (most leagues with TS have limits) and active roster position cost if one activates said player.

And ethically speaking, there can be no question about a rebuilding team with a top tier player on the taxi squad. They’re running out the same lineup every week regardless of opponent. The team with a top tier player deliberately benched calls into question why they’re giving their opponent a softer matchup. Sure, one can say they’re doing it to benefit themselves, but there’s also a benefit to that week’s opponent. Usually it’s best to avoid those questions in FF in my experience.

Like I said above - the results look similar, but the methods are vastly different. Just because two cars arrive at the same gas station doesn’t mean they took the same route to get there.
Agreed, same with trading players away, there is a subtle difference (versus benching), which is you are permanently deforming your team, which is a cost you have to weigh against potentially raising your draft slot.

You are intentional losing games. In fact you're intentional losing more games than benching someone in week 15. It's even a more ergrious tanking job.

Didn't realize tanking had so many nuances.

You are intentional losing games. In fact you're intentional losing more games than benching someone in week 15. It's even a more ergrious tanking job.

by that logic teams wouldn't be able to keep any players on their taxi squad because it would make their current team worse.

by that logic teams wouldn't be able to keep any players on their taxi squad because it would make their current team worse.
That's a nonsense argument ... You can only keep so many players on the active roster. If you can have additional players that can only be on the taxi squad, of course you're going to fill those extra spots. The question is which players go on taxi and which go on active.

My point is that all of these are a form of tanking. I'm fine defining some tanking as OK and other tanking as not, it just needs to be outlined in the league rules. If it's not in the leagues rules then IMO every form of tanking is OK. I'm not a fan of unwritten rules or the commish using judgement to say this form of tanking is OK but this form isn't.

I'm pretty fussy about this subject because I had a league blow up a couple of decades ago. Per the league rules, a trade could be overturned if it was deemed to b e so lopsided that it impacted the competitive balance by a majority vote. I don't remember the specifics from that far back but this was roughly the situation....picture week one 2023 trade along these lines...

Team A trades: Jefferson, Ekeler, Mahomes, and Bijan

Team B trades: Mosert, K. Williams, Prescott, and Nuka

The league was in an uproar that this trade was so bad that it would ruin the season. Trade was overturned. At the end of the season when we ran the numbers, Team A would have won the championship if the trade wasn't overturned.

I'm pretty fussy about this subject because I had a league blow up a couple of decades ago. Per the league rules, a trade could be overturned if it was deemed to b e so lopsided that it impacted the competitive balance by a majority vote. I don't remember the specifics from that far back but this was roughly the situation....picture week one 2023 trade along these lines...

The league was in an uproar that this trade was so bad that it would ruin the season. Trade was overturned. At the end of the season when we ran the numbers, Team A would have won the championship if the trade wasn't overturned.
Yeah, good example of the problem with subjective "judgment"-type rules.

Side note, interesting that the problem with such a trade is that it affects the competitive balance: what if it increases the parity? Still bad? Like if the #1 team makes a lousy trade and the worst team benefits from it? Not saying I think that should make a difference ... But if competitive balance is what it's about ... (I normally think collusion is the worry, not competitive balance.)

I get where you’re coming from, honestly I do.

But my contention is by having rules against tanking, and a framework within Taxi Squad usage, there are fewer judgement calls, not more.

I agree that deal shouldn’t have been overturned. But I also don’t think that’s a great analogy to this topic.

That's a nonsense argument ... You can only keep so many players on the active roster. If you can have additional players that can only be on the taxi squad, of course you're going to fill those extra spots. The question is which players go on taxi and which go on active.
Fine trade the guy for future picks then rather than activating him

I get where you’re coming from, honestly I do.

But my contention is by having rules against tanking, and a framework within Taxi Squad usage, there are fewer judgement calls, not more.

I agree that deal shouldn’t have been overturned. But I also don’t think that’s a great analogy to this topic.
I think it's a fair analogy because in either case, if you leave it up to judgment calls, there are edge cases where it will appear to some people that something illegal is going on, but there isn't.
"He started Miles Sanders over Breece Hall, he's obviously tanking!"
"He traded Jefferson for Puka, it's obviously collusion!"

Neither of those scenarios are remotely similar to intentionally benching a top player in order to lose.
I'm certain Miles Sanders over Breece Hall would get called out in a lot of leagues.
Sure, but it’s still not the same thing.

Jefferson for Puka isn’t a great trade but no one’s going to raise sand. Trades don’t have to be perfectly even.

The 1st one is obviously janky and not at all the same as dealing JJ for Puka. That’s what I’m saying. You conflated the two and I disagree they’re equivalent.

Neither of those scenarios are remotely similar to intentionally benching a top player in order to lose.
I'm certain Miles Sanders over Breece Hall would get called out in a lot of leagues.

Jefferson for Puka isn’t a great trade but no one’s going to raise sand. Trades don’t have to be perfectly even.

The 1st one is obviously janky and not at all the same as dealing JJ for Puka. That’s what I’m saying. You conflated the two and I disagree they’re equivalent.
They may not be at the same level of outrage. The point is either one has gray areas.

I start a guy projected at 0.3 over a guy projected at 21.7.
Very clearly trying to lose.

I start a guy projected at 16.2 over a guy projected at 16.4.
Very clearly not an issue.

I start a guy projected at 6.4 over a guy projected at 19.3.
People will make a big deal out of it. Is it tanking? Probably. But is it tanking? Nobody really knows, and judgment calls have to start being made.

Same deal with bad trades. I could make three trade scenarios comparable to those three lineup scenarios.

People will make a big deal out of it. Is it tanking? Probably. But is it tanking? Nobody really knows, and judgment calls have to start being made.
I feel like this is getting into the weeds and semantical. Again, the obvious tanking isn’t the same as starting players projected .3 apart.

Making rules is the way to avoid the ambiguity you’re talking about. No one needs to guess intent.

We’ve hit “agree to disagree” territory here. :)

I feel like this is getting into the weeds and semantical. Again, the obvious tanking isn’t the same as starting players projected .3 apart.

Making rules is the way to avoid the ambiguity you’re talking about. No one needs to guess intent.

We’ve hit “agree to disagree” territory here. :)
Right, those are obviously not the same. Starting someone expected to do more poorly comes in a full spectrum, from totally 100% acceptable, no argument whatsoever from anyone, to complete outright tanking, no question about it. Toward the middle of that spectrum, there is gray where people start to argue.

When you say "making rules", you're talking about disincentivizing?

When you say "making rules", you're talking about disincentivizing?
All of what’s been discussed so far.

Taxi squad rules for promotion/demotion. Disincentivizing tanking by making projected points decide draft order, and making rules stating that teams are expected to start their best lineups.

“Best” is subjective but as you eluded to, obvious tanking is obvious.

This is different because the entire league gets the same advantage of not playing against Bijan.

the op asked about playing an inferior lineup ONE WEEK......Tank over Bijan.... with the assumption that was to lose THAT week...

In certain situations (examples have been given) that yes it is ok.....even if it feels yucky....it may be the best call for that season or the next ten for your decision THAT WEEK....redraft vs dynasty).....either way if it improves your chances of winning at some point....it may be the right thing to do.....to a certain extent at some point competitive balance for the league goes out the window....in real sports, teams tank all the time....

The analogy was Jefferson for Puka in week one of last year 2023. Jefferson had just posted 24 pts and was a top pick, Puka had been picked up off the wire. That creates an uproar in most leagues.

You stated "Neither of those scenarios are remotely similar to intentionally benching a top player in order to lose."

Breece Hall is a top player and Sanders was a desperation starter. That's exactly the same as benching a top player.

Users who are viewing this thread