What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2011 Top 15 Prospects (2 Viewers)

Any thoughts on Justin Blackmon soph from Ok St? He's putting up Dez Bryant-esque numbers so far this year. 47 rec, 748 yards and 11 TDs thru 5 games, just wow! I haven't seen him play yet. Anybody?

Any thoughts on Justin Blackmon soph from Ok St? He's putting up Dez Bryant-esque numbers so far this year. 47 rec, 748 yards and 11 TDs thru 5 games, just wow! I haven't seen him play yet. Anybody?
Haven't watched a ton of him, but from what I've seen he has some serious red zone skills - high point's the ball very well.

Alshon Jeffrey is a true soph, correct? He passes the eyeball test to me.
That guy looks like a total beast. I don't know if he's draft eligible or not.Another WR who played really well yesterday was Terrence Tolliver from LSU. He shredded Florida for 111 yards and 2 tds, including the game winner, in a breakout game. Unfortunately, he is a SR, so I'm not sure what his prospects are.
Reminds me of Keiland Williams - always had the tools, never done it on the field.Definitely one to monitor if he's able to build upon this game, productivity wise.

For those of you who haven't paid attention to AJ Green in his 2 games back, he's looked fantastic. I was worried a bit that missing those games would hinder him. He's easily the best WR in this class.
Agreed, until Floyd gets more consistent I can't justify him in the same conversation as Green right now. He still has some games to change that though...

Went to the Stanford/USC game yesterday. Thoughts on the players:

- Great game for QB Andrew Luck. He was 20/24 for 285 yards, 3 TDs, and no INTs. As usual, he was surgically precise on short and intermediate throws. He also hit a couple of deeper passes, partially as a result of placing the ball in the right area and partially because his receivers made good adjustments to bring in the catch. Luck also showed great poise by connecting 4-of-4 pass attempts to help lead the game-winning drive with roughly a minute left on the clock. That's the type of clutch play that you want to see from a top QB prospect. He didn't look remotely nervous or fazed with the game in his hands.

He also had 4 rushes for 40 yards. He's a pretty good athlete and I really like his competitiveness. Last week against Oregon he ran ~50 yards to chase down and tackle a defensive back who had recovered a fumble. This week he gave us this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csk_yvV3rQA

The kid is a competitor and after watching all of his snaps this season, I have a pretty good feel for his game. He has one of the best QB minds that I've ever seen at the college level. Keeps his cool under pressure. Makes good decisions. Finds the open man. Rarely holds the ball too long. Deadly accurate in the short and intermediate game. Good at improvising. Good at throwing on the run.

About the only area where he needs improvement is on his deep passes. He doesn't get many opportunities to throw downfield in this offense and there's no reason to force things when you can get the 10-12 yard completion every time. At any rate, he's probably the best QB in college football right now and a lot of what he does should translate well to the NFL level. After the game Harbaugh had a quote along the lines of, "If you doubt Andrew Luck, you don't understand football."

- Stanford has three WRs who could get into an NFL camp: Ryan Whalen, Chris Owusu, and Doug Baldwin. Whalen is a possession WR in the mold of Eric Decker. Owusu is a speedster whose KR skills will get him drafted. He has really improved at catching the ball and probably has the most NFL starter potential of the group. Baldwin is a smallish PR/slot type in the mold of guys like Andre Roberts and Eddie Royal. His hands have improved by leaps and bounds. He has gone from being third on the depth chart to being on the NFL radar as a late rounder or free agent pickup.

- Stanford's true sophomore RB Stepfan Taylor had another good game. He has the type of short, stocky frame that works so well at the RB position in the NFL. He doesn't bring the thump of Toby Gerhart, but he was able to break some tackles with his deceptive strength. His speed and quickness are solid, but unspectacular. Look for him to be in the draft picture as a mid-late rounder in 2012 or 2013. I would compare him to guys like Javon Ringer and Ahmad Bradshaw.

- As for the Trojans, true freshman WR Robert Woods had a huge night with over 200 yards receiving. He's a slender, straight-line WR with good pull away speed. He had a better game than fellow WR Ronald Johnson, who was unspectacular.

- QB Matt Barkley played a solid game. He didn't make many mistakes and was fairly accurate with his passes. On the other hand, he had all day to throw because Stanford's defense rarely pressured him and his athletic receivers were constantly open against Stanford's weak secondary. These factors made it hard to get an objective read on him, but I thought he showed pretty well for himself.

- RB Allen Bradford was shut down by the Stanford front. USC abandoned the running game because their OL wasn't opening any lanes. Marc Tyler was clearly the second fiddle behind Bradford and made minimal impact on the game. True freshman phenom Dillon Baxter got hurt during the game and was later prowling the sidelines on crutches. He's a thin back, but he looked explosive in limited duty.

EBF said:

- Great game for QB Andrew Luck. He was 20/24 for 285 yards, 3 TDs, and no INTs. As usual, he was surgically precise on short and intermediate throws. He also hit a couple of deeper passes, partially as a result of placing the ball in the right area and partially because his receivers made good adjustments to bring in the catch. Luck also showed great poise by connecting 4-of-4 pass attempts to help lead the game-winning drive with roughly a minute left on the clock. That's the type of clutch play that you want to see from a top QB prospect. He didn't look remotely nervous or fazed with the game in his hands.

He also had 4 rushes for 40 yards. He's a pretty good athlete and I really like his competitiveness. Last week against Oregon he ran ~50 yards to chase down and tackle a defensive back who had recovered a fumble. This week he gave us this gem:

The kid is a competitor and after watching all of his snaps this season, I have a pretty good feel for his game. He has one of the best QB minds that I've ever seen at the college level. Keeps his cool under pressure. Makes good decisions. Finds the open man. Rarely holds the ball too long. Deadly accurate in the short and intermediate game. Good at improvising. Good at throwing on the run.

About the only area where he needs improvement is on his deep passes. He doesn't get many opportunities to throw downfield in this offense and there's no reason to force things when you can get the 10-12 yard completion every time. At any rate, he's probably the best QB in college football right now and a lot of what he does should translate well to the NFL level. After the game Harbaugh had a quote along the lines of, "If you doubt Andrew Luck, you don't understand football."
Good stuff, EBF. Do you have any sense yet whether Luck will declare for the draft after this year? Seems like Locker and Mallett have both fallen off, and they were his only competition for the No. 1 QB slot going into the year. Will Luck turn down the probability of being the No. 1 overall pick to stay in school?

Last edited by a moderator:
BeTheMatch said:
EBF said:

Good stuff, EBF. Do you have any sense yet whether Luck will declare for the draft after this year? Seems like Locker and Mallett have both fallen off, and they were his only competition for the No. 1 QB slot going into the year. Will Luck turn down the probability of being the No. 1 overall pick to stay in school?
You never really know, but I think he's going to come back for one more year. I get the sense that he really enjoys playing for Harbaugh and being part of this Stanford team. This group seems to have a lot of fun. I don't know that the allure of the big paycheck will be enough to pry him away from such an enjoyable college experience, especially since the kid's family is well off. The money doesn't mean as much to him as it would a kid from a poor background. Furthermore, Luck is a perfectionist and I don't think he's totally satisfied with his play yet. Remember that this is only his second season as a starter. He still has things to learn before he's ready for the NFL stage. I also think he'll want another crack at a Rose Bowl or BCS game assuming Stanford doesn't achieve that this season. If Stanford goes to the Rose Bowl and/or Harbaugh leaves the program this season then maybe that will push Luck out the door. Right now I'd say the smart money is that he'll stay one more year and declare for the 2012 draft after his redshirt junior season.

BeTheMatch said:
EBF said:

You never really know, but I think he's going to come back for one more year. I get the sense that he really enjoys playing for Harbaugh and being part of this Stanford team. This group seems to have a lot of fun. I don't know that the allure of the big paycheck will be enough to pry him away from such an enjoyable college experience, especially since the kid's family is well off. The money doesn't mean as much to him as it would a kid from a poor background. Furthermore, Luck is a perfectionist and I don't think he's totally satisfied with his play yet. Remember that this is only his second season as a starter. He still has things to learn before he's ready for the NFL stage. I also think he'll also want another crack at a Rose Bowl or BCS game assuming Stanford doesn't achieve that this season. If Stanford goes to the Rose Bowl and/or Harbaugh leaves the program this season then maybe that will push Luck out the door. Right now I'd say the smart money is that he'll stay one more year and declare for the 2012 draft after his redshirt junior season.
So you're saying the Bills have to lose all their games NEXT year as well? Crap.

I've seen two of his games and came away very, very impressed. Looks like quite a talent. I was wondering if anyone would mention him - I don't follow College that closely and wasn't sure whether he was a high profile prospect or not.

Blackmon is no secret. He's leading FBS with a ridiculous 150 receiving yards per game average. Definite pro prospect.

One of the storylines to track over the next few months is the second tier WR cluster. We have known about Green, Floyd, Baldwin, and Jones since last season. What isn't clear is who will be taken after those guys and who might rise up the boards enough to leapfrog the "big 4." Blackmon could be a candidate for the first round. Titus Young is on pace for another 1000+ yard season for Boise. Ryan Broyles is having another good year for Oklahoma. I've heard good thins about Leonard Hankerson from Miami. Out in Pac-10 country, Juron Criner and Jermaine Kearse are making a case for themselves.

Found this info:

Notre Dame TE, Kyle Rudolph done for the year

Undergoing season ending surgery for seperating his hamstrings (both). Big blow for the Irish and wont help his draftstock either. At this time I think this should/could mean he actually goes back for his senior season.

Nebraska CB Amukamara impresses evaluators

Posted Oct. 07, 2010 @ 12:56 p.m. ET

By Nolan Nawrocki

Nebraska senior CB Prince Amukamara, coming off a bye week, has helped distinguish himself as the top senior cornerback in the country, earning widespread praise on the scouting trails as being every bit as good "as advertised." He's big, tough, will tackle and can cover, and the physicality he has shown at the CB position has become more of a rarity in the NFL, leaving an impression on evaluators.

There was a lot of hype about Florida State QB Christian Ponder entering his senior season, but evaluators have been disappointed in his play this season, questioning his bad reads, decision making and overall inconsistency, and it's conceivable he slides out of the top three rounds based on early-season play.

Miami (Fla.) has a history of producing top-flight NFL backs, such as Frank Gore, Willis McGahee and Edgerrin James. Gore, who beat out McGahee early in his career before being sidetracked with injuries, was part of the reason that McGahee decided to enter the NFL early, as Gore was expected to unseat McGahee had he returned to school coming off a torn ACL. Graig Cooper, who strongly considered entering the NFL early before tearing his right ACL on a kickoff return in the Champs Sports Bowl, has seen minimal action as the Hurricanes have used a rotation featuring senior Damien Berry and talented freshman Lamar Miller, who have ably carried the load. Cooper is expected to see more time against Florida State this week, however.

Alabama junior WR Julio Jones bruised his knee against Florida last week and underwent an MRI that did not reveal any damage. Nick Saban is not expected to rush Jones back against South Carolina this week, as a bruised right knee plagued him for much of last season.

Florida C Mike Pouncey has been more consistent snapping the ball after a disastrous season opener, but has had problems with short snaps in every game this season and projects best in the pros to the guard position he played as a junior. He has shown he is quick enough and athletic enough to handle the pivot position, pancaking second-level defenders against Alabama, but he is not as quick to react as his brother, Maurkice, was.

USC senior CB Shareece Wright impressed with his speed and hustle chasing down Washington QB Jake Locker on the sideline, catching him at the seven-yard line and punching the ball out from behind, preventing a touchdown in the second quarter of USC's 32-31 loss to the Huskies. Wright's career has been sidetracked by neck and hamstring injuries that forced him to lose track of his academics and resulted in him missing all but one game in 2009 due to academic ineligibility. However, he has performed well since returning as a senior and has the fluidity of movement, athletic ability and cover skills to warrant mid-round interest. He is on the rise.

Indiana senior QB Ben Chappell is a big, heavy-footed, stationary passer with very limited foot quickness, and his production is padded from playing in the unconventional, pistol offense that the Indiana coaching staff installed in the spring of 2009 after visiting with Nevada. He is smart, knows where to go with the ball and has been very effective in the short passing game, but he has faced very marginal competition to date, including a porous Michigan defense. He will be tested this week against Ohio State.

NFL Draft Risers & Sliders: Potts leads under-the-radar prospects

Through the initial five weeks of the college season, we've placed most of the attention on the country's well-known prospects rising and sliding on draft boards. Yet, several lesser known players who entered the season with free-agent grades have created a buzz in scouting circles. This week, we take notice of the under-the-radar players rising up draft boards, including a few juniors that have scouts excited.

Taylor Potts/QB/Texas Tech: Past Red Raider quarterbacks have been labeled 'system players', and justifiably so, but Potts is ready to break the stereotype. His statistics are gaudy thanks to the wide open offense at Texas Tech, and yet he's proven to be a legitimate next-level prospect. He has the arm strength to throw the deep pass and gets the ball through the tight spots. Potts also offers solid intangibles, quarterback intelligence and uses of all his weapons. Once rated as a free-agent prospect, scouts feel Potts could move into the later rounds next April.

Shane Vereen*/RB/California: The Cal program consistently offers the NFL talented running backs, with first-round pick Jahvid Best being the latest. Vereen is set to keep the tradition moving forward, as he's a multi-versatile ball carrier with the ability to produce in a variety of ways. Vereen posted 150 yards rushing and two scores in Cal's lopsided victory over UCLA, while also registering three receptions for 50 yards. Compared to Best, Vereen does not have the same east-west running style but scouts feel he's a better ball carrier between the tackles.

Vincent Brown/WR/San Diego State: The senior class of receivers is disappointing, and there's bound to be surprises at the position. Brown could be the biggest one of 'em all. He's a sure-handed wideout and the go-to guy on an improving Aztecs offense. Brown collected a season-high six receptions against BYU on Saturday after coming off another best of 177 yards against Utah State. He's on pace for a career year and good workouts prior to April's draft could push Brown into the draft's first 75 picks.

Mike Holmes/S/Syracuse: The Syracuse program is making a quantum leap after years of despair. Defense has been the driving force behind the resurgence, and Holmes is one of the unit's leaders. He's a feisty safety with a complete game, offering solid ball skills in centerfield besides an aggressive nature in run defense. He lacks classic safety size, but the ability to line up in several defensive systems and produce on special teams will secure a place for Holmes in the late rounds.

Phil Taylor/DT/Baylor: Taylor came to Baylor with big expectations after transferring from Penn State. His first season at Waco was a washout, as Taylor was overweight, out of shape and rode the bench late in the year. He turned his game around this season and after dropping a reported 25 pounds. Taylor has displayed tremendous athleticism and movement skills for a 340-pound lineman, besides and overpowering nature. He was graded as a marginal free agent at season's start, but has moved into the middle rounds with his play.

Akeem Dent/LB/Georgia: Dent has been one of the few bright spots during the Bulldogs' dismal season. The senior captain is the most consistent player on defense, according to Georgia coaches. He leads the unit with 54 tackles and has shown surprising skill in pass coverage. Dent is another that has played himself into the draft after initially being graded as a free agent.

Sleeper Alert

Alfonzo Dennard*/CB/Nebraska: Playing across from Prince Amukamara, the top cornerback in the nation, assures that Dennard sees his fair share of passes. Yet each week, the junior proves he's up for the challenge. Dennard is a strong, sturdy shut-down cornerback with terrific ball skills, like his teammate. He sits atop the Cornhusker defense this season with three interceptions. Dennard is not as highly considered as Amukamara, yet offers the potential to be a starter at the next level.

Sliders

Luke Stocker/TE/Tennessee: Stocker entered the season as the top-rated senior tight end and has responded with uninspired play. His pass-catching numbers have improved just slightly since last season and Stocker's blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

Evan Royster/RB/Penn State: Royster, expected to carry the load for the Nittany Lions this year, has disappointed scouts with his play during the first six games. He's carried the ball more than a dozen times in just one game this season and is averaging under 65 yards rushing per contest. Reports stated Royster was overweight heading i to the season, which led to his reduced role in the offense. He was graded as a potential third-round pick by NFL scouts but is sliding into the late frames.

Mark Barron*/S/Alabama: The highly considered junior very much looks the part in centerfield, yet has been plagued by inconsistencies this season. His ball skills have been average and more disturbingly the large defender has had too many of his tackles broken, in part due to poor technique.

Notes: Several former risers continue their momentum up draft boards with outstanding play. Once again Stanford's Owen Marecic impressed scouts at linebacker in the win over USC. Marecic posted two tackles for loss and came up with several big plays in coverage. The double-duty player continues to watch his draft stock rise as scouts are now grading him on the defensive side of the ball.

Auburn's Nick Fairley continues his tear through the season. The first year starter leads the SEC with 12.5 tackles for loss, rates second in sacks with five and has also accumulated 12 quarterback hurries this year. ... LSU's Drake Nevis was again given the weekly award as the top defensive lineman in the SEC. In the victory over Florida, he totaled seven tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and forced a fumble. ... Finally A.J. Green of Georgia had another big afternoon during the Bulldogs' win over Tennessee. Green collected six receptions for 96 yards and one score. The feeling amongst those close to the Bulldog program is despite recent statements, Green will enter the draft at the conclusion of the 2010 season.

I don't like Mallet's chances for NFL success. Starting to think Petrino is responsible for much of his success. Brohm looked great under Petrino, but has been a bust. Mallet's backup is lighting up Arkansas today. The rumor that Mallet was a diva and was unpopular in the locker room is much more damaging than Clausen's perceived attitude problems, and Clausen slid on draft day. Add in his 6'7" height and fact that tall QB's have struggled in the pros, and Mallet has too many strikes against him. He'll be another Tony Pike, solid college stats but a career backup in the pros.

I am watching the Oregon State v. Washington game and I am very impressed with Quizz. I had never seen him play, but was in the "he is too small" camp. Now I am sold. He runs with a lot of strength, and he is very solid through the lower body.

Good list here. I'm with you on Armon Binns. Very underappreciated due to all the hype Gilyard got. I'd flip DeAndre and Williams and put Binns in between them at #8. He's very good in traffic and a big red zone target.

From me in another thread:

im confused... what is little missing? i cant find any major weaknesses. hes better after catch than both jones and green, and is just as aggressive going after the ball in the air. unless he has some character concerns, id like someone to tell me why he isnt a top player next year
Not missing much IMO. He's just not as known or heralded as the others mentioned in this thread.
Same with Armon Binns. And, really, out of the top guys (Green, Jones, Floyd, and Baldwin) Binns has the best QB throwing him the ball (Zach Collaros). I think he can have a monster season with Gilyard no longer there.He put up 61/888/11 last year as the 2nd option in the passing game. He's a huge target in the red zone (6'4 - 200lbs) and had at least 1 TD in 9 straight games to end the season. If you need any indication of how good he is....check out the Big East Championship vs. Pittsburgh last year.

Game winning TD vs. Pitt

This is what he did last year with Collaros as the starting QB when Pike went down (4 games).

18 receptions

383 yards

21.2 avg

5 TDs

That projects to:

54 / 1149 / 15

Clearly that yards per reception will come down some, but I could also see the receptions going up to the 75 range. I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't finish with 1000/8.

You guys will know this name come Fall.
Binns with 8/175/3TD this week (290/5TDs the last two weeks). The offense has finally found it's stride after a slow start. Binns is now on pace for: 64/1050/14. Continues to really impress me with his hands and ball skills.

Pitt's Baldwin, a potential top 15 draft pick, not living up to hype

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

Week 7 on the college football schedule saw another change at the top as Ohio State fell from the ranks of the unbeaten. It also provided evidence that the 2011 NFL Draft will offer a large number of quality prospects on the defensive line as several players from that position continued to impress NFL scouts. (*Denotes underclassmen)

Sliders

Jonathan Baldwin*/WR/Pittsburgh: Baldwin was rated as one of the better underclassmen receivers and a potential top 15 pick entering the season, but his play since September has been pedestrian. Poor quarterback play has been part of the problem. Still, Baldwin has yet to post a dominant performance to solidify his reputation as a game-controlling wideout.

Von Miller/LB/Texas A&M: Miller has been struggling with assorted injuries and has only made a disappointing 20 tackles and a pair of sacks during the Aggies six games. Scouts gave him a first-round grade and rated him just behind Mark Herzlich on the linebacker list coming into the season. Miller is struggling to stay in the draft's top 32 selections at this point.

Terrell McClain/DT/South Florida: The senior was considered a late-round prospect. Unfortunately, he's watching his draft stock drop as he too struggles with injuries. In six games, McClain has a mere six tackles.

Risers

Ryan Kerrigan/DE/Purdue: Kerrigan has been flying up draft boards as fast as any other senior in the nation. He leads the Boilermakers with 41 tackles and the Big Ten in tackles for loss (14) and sacks (5.5). Kerrigan's football skills compliment his impressive work ethic and high character. Scouts have said the sum total could push Kerrigan into the middle of round one.

JJ Watt*/DL/Wisconsin: The Badgers impressive underclassman continues to play at a high level. The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Watt has the size to stuff the run and athleticism to rush the passer. His upside is tremendous, and he'll get consideration from a number of 3-4 teams as well as those with conventional defenses.

Chris White/LB/Mississippi State: White has taken his game to another level this season and is rising up boards at the middle linebacker position. He's near the top of the list in the SEC for tackles, tackles for loss and sacks. During the victory over Florida last weekend White led the Bulldogs with 11 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He's a fierce two-down defender with a nose for the football.

Rodney Hudson/OL/Florida State: Hudson continues to establish himself as the top zone-blocking prospect in the nation. His ability to remove linebackers or defensive backs blocking in motion has allowed the Seminoles running game to take off. Scouts are split as to whether Hudson will be better off at center or guard in the NFL, yet most feel he has starting potential.

Joe Lefeged/S/Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights starting safety over the past three seasons is developing a complete game as a senior. Lefeged has always been a terrific run defender; he's second on the team with 41 tackles this year. His six pass defenses to date are a career high. The senior is also a terrific special teams player. He's blocked two kicks this season besides averaging just under 28 yards on 14 kick returns.

Jerrel Jernigan/WR/Troy State: Jernigan registered 70 or more receptions each of the past two seasons and is putting up career numbers as a senior. The all-purpose player has also made an impact on special teams. This season Jernigan has averaged 18 yards on eight punt returns with one score and 34.4-yards on nine kick returns with another touchdown. His 75-yard punt return on Saturday helped swing the game in Troy's favor in its victory over conference rival Louisiana-Lafayette. Jernigan also caught six passes during the game.

NFL teams needing a reliable receiver who doubles as a return specialist are sure to look Jernigan's way, starting in the third round next April.

Chase Minnifield*/CB/Virginia: Playing with Ras-I Dowling this season and behind Chris Cook one year ago means Minnifield is often overlooked. Yet the junior has taken advantage of his opportunity in 2010 and is turning into one of the better cornerbacks in the ACC. His combination of three interceptions and four pass break-ups stands as one of the best marks in the conference. Minnifield offers the size and ball skills to develop into a starting cornerback at the next level.

Dwayne Harris/WR/ECU: Harris doesn't get the headlines, but scouts are aware of his talents and gave him a third-round grade coming into the season. He has proved himself worthy of the mark, most recently catching nine passes for 99 yards and one score during the Pirates' upending of North Carolina State. He's a reliable possession wideout with possibilities as a number three at the next level.

SLEEPER ALERT -- Greg Salas/WR/Hawaii: Hawaii is in the midst of a terrific season and Salas has been the team's driving force on offense. During the upset over ranked Nevada, the receiver registered 11 receptions for 153 yards, accounting for more than half of the Warriors' offense. He's on pace to top last season's 106 receptions and 1,590 receiving yards. Salas is a well-sized receiver with deceptive speed as evidenced by his per-catch average of 15 yards. Graded as a fringe late-round pick entering the season, Salas has since moved into the middle frames.

Notes

• Houston Cougar senior quarterback Case Keenum, who was lost for the season after suffering a torn knee ligament last month, has announced he will seek a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA. Considering the top two underclassmen quarterbacks (Andrew Luck/Stanford, Ryan Mallett/Arkansas) are likely to enter the draft, scouts feel this is the best course of action for Keenum.

• Notre Dame junior Kyle Rudolph, who was rumored to be heading to the NFL after the season, will have to rethink his plans. The tight end underwent successful surgery to repair a damaged tendon in his hamstring. Recovery, however, could take six months. Rudolph's injury deals a blow to an already poor crop of tight ends, though few stamped him as a first-round pick.

I watched Baldwin extensively for the first time this past week. Big, fast, great hands and hopefully drafted by me next year. I see him listed on the "sliders" list just above, so take my one game impressions with a grain of salt, but the kid looks like an absolute stud to my untrained eyes.

Bumb for any news from this weekend. I didn't see any games.
Armon Binns had another big game. 12 catches

158 yards

2 TDs

In the last three games, he's totaled:

25 catches

448 yards

7 TDs

With other very good WRs and a dedication to running the ball, you won't see gaudy stats (see Justin Blackmon), but if you watch Binns play you can't help but be impressed. He just does everything well. He's big, strong, high points the ball well (see the link below), has very good body control (especially for a man his size; also see link below), blocks very well, and has extremely reliable hands. He doesn't let the ball get to his body and is a natural hands catcher. He isn't a burner but has very good long speed and can "go get it". He can be a possession guy who consistently beats double teams, as evidenced by the game vs. South Florida this past Friday, and he can also go downfield. I don't see why he couldn't be an instant contributor at the next level.

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0cGPfNm7LCgeC?q=Cincinnati

The other thing you can see in this picture is how big he is. He's listed at 6'3 204 and that might be on the low end.

It's too early to do any rankings, but here's a decent list of players who look to be separating themselves from the pack:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford

QB Jake Locker, Washington

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

RB Mark Ingram, Alabama

RB LaMichael James, Oregon

RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

RB Adam Robinson, Iowa

RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

RB James White, Wisconsin

RB Shane Vereen, California

RB Allen Bradford, USC

RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State

WR AJ Green, Georgia

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State

WR Julio Jones, Alabama

WR Titus Young, Boise State

WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

WR Dwayne Harris, East Carolina

WR Juron Criner, Arizona

WR Jermaine Kearse, Washington

WR Armon Binns, Cincinnati

WR Ronald Johnson, USC

WR Greg Childs, Arkansas

WR Joe Adams, Arkansas

Teams had better hope that Andrew Luck comes out because Locker and Mallett both look like high risk prospects. I don't know which small school guys might get into the picture at QB, but maybe there are some lesser known players with good potential.

I'm curious to see who will end up being the RB2 in this class behind Ingram. There are many candidates. If I had to pick right now I guess I would choose LaMichael James. He is undersized and he benefits from a friendly offense, but he has good speed and pretty good quickness. I see his NFL impact ranging anywhere from Steve Slaton to Felix Jones.

As expected, WR looks like the strong point of this class. While I don't quite see a can't-miss player, there are 4-5 guys with first round potential and some 2nd-4th round guys with compelling upside.

Where would Greg Little fall in those WR rankings?

Sucks that by the time he'll take his 1st NFL snap he won't have played ball for almost 2 years.

I watched Baldwin extensively for the first time this past week. Big, fast, great hands and hopefully drafted by me next year. I see him listed on the "sliders" list just above, so take my one game impressions with a grain of salt, but the kid looks like an absolute stud to my untrained eyes.
I was at the Pitt-Rutgers game this weekend. Baldwin was far and away the best player on the field. I think people are lowering their opinion of him solely because Pitt does not have a halfway competent quarterback. By the time the combine rolls around, he'll be back near the top of the list of WRs.

It's too early to do any rankings, but here's a decent list of players who look to be separating themselves from the pack:QB Andrew Luck, StanfordQB Jake Locker, WashingtonQB Ryan Mallett, ArkansasRB Mark Ingram, AlabamaRB LaMichael James, OregonRB Mikel LeShoure, IllinoisRB Adam Robinson, IowaRB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon StateRB James White, WisconsinRB Shane Vereen, CaliforniaRB Allen Bradford, USCRB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma StateWR AJ Green, GeorgiaWR Michael Floyd, Notre DameWR Jonathan Baldwin, PittWR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma StateWR Julio Jones, AlabamaWR Titus Young, Boise StateWR Leonard Hankerson, MiamiWR Ryan Broyles, OklahomaWR Dwayne Harris, East CarolinaWR Juron Criner, ArizonaWR Jermaine Kearse, WashingtonWR Armon Binns, CincinnatiWR Ronald Johnson, USCWR Greg Childs, ArkansasWR Joe Adams, ArkansasTeams had better hope that Andrew Luck comes out because Locker and Mallett both look like high risk prospects. I don't know which small school guys might get into the picture at QB, but maybe there are some lesser known players with good potential.I'm curious to see who will end up being the RB2 in this class behind Ingram. There are many candidates. If I had to pick right now I guess I would choose LaMichael James. He is undersized and he benefits from a friendly offense, but he has good speed and pretty good quickness. I see his NFL impact ranging anywhere from Steve Slaton to Felix Jones. As expected, WR looks like the strong point of this class. While I don't quite see a can't-miss player, there are 4-5 guys with first round potential and some 2nd-4th round guys with compelling upside.
Unless he's a transfer from a junior college, I'm pretty sure James White RB Wisconsin is a freshman and hence ineligible for the NFL draft this year. Personally, I'd also put Donald Buckram on the RB list, somewhere at the bottom at this point.

Where would Greg Little fall in those WR rankings? Sucks that by the time he'll take his 1st NFL snap he won't have played ball for almost 2 years.
Purely a late rounder at this point. I don't think he was an elite prospect even before his problems, so he has a long climb back into relevance.

It's too early to do any rankings, but here's a decent list of players who look to be separating themselves from the pack:QB Andrew Luck, StanfordQB Jake Locker, WashingtonQB Ryan Mallett, ArkansasRB Mark Ingram, AlabamaRB LaMichael James, OregonRB Mikel LeShoure, IllinoisRB Adam Robinson, IowaRB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon StateRB James White, WisconsinRB Shane Vereen, CaliforniaRB Allen Bradford, USCRB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma StateWR AJ Green, GeorgiaWR Michael Floyd, Notre DameWR Jonathan Baldwin, PittWR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma StateWR Julio Jones, AlabamaWR Titus Young, Boise StateWR Leonard Hankerson, MiamiWR Ryan Broyles, OklahomaWR Dwayne Harris, East CarolinaWR Juron Criner, ArizonaWR Jermaine Kearse, WashingtonWR Armon Binns, CincinnatiWR Ronald Johnson, USCWR Greg Childs, ArkansasWR Joe Adams, ArkansasTeams had better hope that Andrew Luck comes out because Locker and Mallett both look like high risk prospects. I don't know which small school guys might get into the picture at QB, but maybe there are some lesser known players with good potential.I'm curious to see who will end up being the RB2 in this class behind Ingram. There are many candidates. If I had to pick right now I guess I would choose LaMichael James. He is undersized and he benefits from a friendly offense, but he has good speed and pretty good quickness. I see his NFL impact ranging anywhere from Steve Slaton to Felix Jones. As expected, WR looks like the strong point of this class. While I don't quite see a can't-miss player, there are 4-5 guys with first round potential and some 2nd-4th round guys with compelling upside.
Unless he's a transfer from a junior college, I'm pretty sure James White RB Wisconsin is a freshman and hence ineligible for the NFL draft this year.
Good catch. I wasn't aware of that. He's one to watch for the future. I definitely like his pro potential more than John Clay's.

It's too early to do any rankings, but here's a decent list of players who look to be separating themselves from the pack:

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford

QB Jake Locker, Washington

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

RB Mark Ingram, Alabama

RB LaMichael James, Oregon

RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

RB Adam Robinson, Iowa

RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State

RB James White, Wisconsin

RB Shane Vereen, California

RB Allen Bradford, USC

RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State

WR AJ Green, Georgia

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State

WR Julio Jones, Alabama

WR Titus Young, Boise State

WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

WR Dwayne Harris, East Carolina

WR Juron Criner, Arizona

WR Jermaine Kearse, Washington

WR Armon Binns, Cincinnati

WR Ronald Johnson, USC

WR Greg Childs, Arkansas

WR Joe Adams, Arkansas

Teams had better hope that Andrew Luck comes out because Locker and Mallett both look like high risk prospects. I don't know which small school guys might get into the picture at QB, but maybe there are some lesser known players with good potential.

I'm curious to see who will end up being the RB2 in this class behind Ingram. There are many candidates. If I had to pick right now I guess I would choose LaMichael James. He is undersized and he benefits from a friendly offense, but he has good speed and pretty good quickness. I see his NFL impact ranging anywhere from Steve Slaton to Felix Jones.

As expected, WR looks like the strong point of this class. While I don't quite see a can't-miss player, there are 4-5 guys with first round potential and some 2nd-4th round guys with compelling upside.
Kearse is the one that's making Locker look 'good' this year. What is the word on Mikel LeShoure? Haven't seen any Illini games this year.

2011 NFL Draft: Back-to-back big games raise profile of OT Carimi

The No. 1-ranked team in the nation fell for the third straight week during a wild Saturday of college football. Week 8 also saw a pair of highly regarded prospects sliding down draft boards while an underrated left tackle is moving in the opposite direction.

Risers

Gabe Carimi/OT/Wisconsin: The Badger has shut down top defensive talent in consecutive games and deservedly is watching his draft stock rise. Iowa's talented defensive line registered just a single sack during Wisconsin's victory Saturday. The previous weekend saw Carimi help hold top 10 prospect Cameron Heyward and the rest of the Ohio State defense sackless. The senior draws a variety of opinions in the scouting community but these two contests will be looked upon as statement games and should secure him a place late in round one.

Kendall Hunter/RB/Oklahoma State: The Nebraska defense rarely gives up 200 yards rushing in a single game, never mind allowing one back to top the mark. Hunter did exactly that against the Cornhuskers, the second time he's rushed for 200-plus yards this season. He's elusive, often creating yardage when seemingly nothing is available. Hunter has topped the century mark in six of seven games this season while adding 24 receptions. He reminds many of Leon Washington, the multi-purpose threat now playing with the Seattle Seahawks.

Jabaal Sheard/DE/Pittsburgh: Sheard's job was made tougher this season after teammate Greg Romeus was lost to back surgery in the opening weeks. Sheard answered the call and turned in another strong performance on Saturday. He had four tackles, two sacks and forced a fumble in the victory over Rutgers. His seven-game totals of 10 tackles for loss and seven sacks are better than his entire junior campaign.

Ryan Broyles*/WR/Oklahoma: OU receivers have a history of posting dominant numbers on the college level but not delivering as pros. Broyles seems poised to break that mold. The junior has the speed to beat defenders deep and the quickness to elude opponents after the catch. The belief is Broyles will enter the draft after the season; he could secure a spot late in round one.

Armon Binns/WR/Cincinnati: Binns, rated as a potential late-round pick coming into the season, is having a career year and has improved his draft stock weekly. The 6-foot-2½ senior is well sized and reliable. He's averaging six receptions per game and is on pace for 15 touchdowns. The 40 times this spring will be critical for a guy who appears to be a solid middle-round choice.

Wayne Daniels/DE-OLB/TCU: The Horned Frog defense has been stifling and Daniels is one of the units leaders. His nine tackle for loss ranks second in the Mountain West Conference while his 5.5 sacks lead the team. Daniels lacks the size to be an every down lineman at the next level but has the skill to be a situational pass rusher. Initially graded as a free agent, Daniels has moved into the later rounds.

Chris Carter/DE-OLB/Fresno State: Carter is another undersized college defensive end many project to outside linebacker/situational pass rusher at the next level. He sits atop the WAC with nine sacks and is also one of the leaders in the conference with 13 tackles for loss. Carter's 39 tackles and four forced fumbles are also impressive. Handed a late-round grade by NFL scouts at the start of the year, Carter has worked his way into the middle rounds with his play this season.

SLEEPER ALERT -- Muhammad Wilkerson*/DT/Temple: Wilkerson has been a dominant force for the up-and-coming Owls and rates as one of the most underrated defensive linemen in the nation. He's 6-4, 300 pounds, and showcases his talent in all areas of the game. Wilkerson's totals this season include 51 tackles (third on the team), 8.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks (leads the team in both categories). He combines power and athleticism, which enamors scouts who feel the junior can lineup as a conventional defensive tackle or as a two-gap end.

Sliders

Adrian Clayborn/DE/Iowa: Coming into the season, NFL scouting services graded Clayborn as one of the top senior prospects. His lack of production this season has many concerned. Seven games in, Clayborn has just 2.5 sacks and six tackles for loss. He finished his junior season with 11.5 sacks and 20 tackles for loss. Clayborn has improved his play against the run but the inability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage will push him into the middle part of round one.

Christian Ponder/QB/Florida State: Scouts initially graded Ponder as the top senior quarterback in the nation, along with Jake Locker, and as a potential first-round pick. He's struggled with assorted injuries this season and his decision-making has raised red flags. His statistical accuracy has fallen and he has tossed a number of questionable interceptions.

EBF said:
Glaven said:
Unless he's a transfer from a junior college, I'm pretty sure James White RB Wisconsin is a freshman and hence ineligible for the NFL draft this year.
Good catch. I wasn't aware of that. He's one to watch for the future. I definitely like his pro potential more than John Clay's.
White is a true freshman, and definitely someone to keep an eye on. Some local beat writers believe White may be the best Badger RB. He's a different beast than Clay. Has good hands, speed, quickness, etc., and as an all-around back I'm very excited about his pro prospects.I used to be high on Clay as an NFL prospect, but now I'm not sure he has the quickness a big back needs to be successful in the NFL.

What happened to Ryan Williams (VT) did he just fall off the face of the earth or what?

What happened to Ryan Williams (VT) did he just fall off the face of the earth or what?
He has been dealing with injuries and he hasn't impressed when healthy. Darren Evans, the guy whose injury allowed Williams to see the field last season, is back and getting the lion's share of the carries. Both guys are worth monitoring for our purposes. I simply forgot to include them in my list.

I'd watch Julio Jones. He's finally starting to get some production to go along with that long-talked about potential.

For 3 years, I've been frustrated (not too frustrated, I mean Bama has been good anyway) with how he gets used. McElroy just refuses to "throw it up" to him. Finally against Tennessee, they started airing it out to Julio and letting him make plays.

I was at the Pitt-Rutgers game this weekend. Baldwin was far and away the best player on the field. I think people are lowering their opinion of him solely because Pitt does not have a halfway competent quarterback. By the time the combine rolls around, he'll be back near the top of the list of WRs.
:bag: Baldwin is the real deal. The Pitt offense in general and QB Sunseri specifically, is not.

I like what I've seen from Julio this season. In previous years I felt he was overrated based on his reputation coming out of high school, but he has shown some good things this year, enough to where I think he's a solid first round NFL draft pick. He reminds me a little bit of Hakeem Nicks. I wouldn't quite put him on the can't-miss level yet, but I'd feel a lot better about drafting him today than I would've six months ago.

Auburn's Fairley vaults up rankings with Suh-like outing

By Rob Rang

NFLDraftScout.com

Oct. 25, 2010

Each week, we rewind the game film to highlight the star-worthy performances that could impact the 2011 NFL Draft rankings:

1. Auburn quarterback Cam Newton emerged as the Heisman frontrunner with his record-breaking performance against LSU, but it was his teammate, junior defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who made the greater impression on NFL scouts. The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Fairley registered six tackles, including 3½ tackles for loss and 2½ sacks, in the SEC battle of unbeatens and is leaping up draft boards. The dominance Fairley showed in the high-profile contest was similar to the game Ndamukong Suh had against Colt McCoy and the Texas Longhorns in last year's Big 12 Championship Game.

Fairley's strong game shouldn't come as a surprise. He entered the game leading the SEC with 13½ tackles for loss and ranked second in sacks with five. Fairley has been particularly impressive in the month of October. He was recognized as the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week against Louisiana-Monroe on Oct. 4, and again after posting a career-high eight tackles against Arkansas a week ago. It is safe to say Fairley will successfully defend his title and once again be recognized by the SEC after this performance.

The more lasting recognition Fairley might earn could come in April. Only a junior, Fairley has been the country's most dominant defensive tackle so far in 2010 and is worthy of a first-round selection.

2. There has been a great deal of speculation as to the NFL aspirations of underclass quarterbacks Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallett, Blaine Gabbert and Nick Foles, but few have mentioned Michigan State's Kirk Cousins as a potential early entry into the 2011 draft. Cousins' strong performance on the road against Northwestern is only the latest example of a junior quarterback whose poise and recognition of defenses is starting to catch up with obvious physical tools.

Cousins completed 29 of 43 passes against the Wildcats for 331 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. He has completed 66 percent of his passes for 1,948 yards and 14 touchdowns to just four interceptions while operating out of a pro-style offense for 8-0 Michigan State.

Cousins scans the field calmly and completed passes to all levels of the field against Northwestern. He showed touch and the zip to rifle the deep out from the opposite hash. Perhaps most impressively, he showed good poise in leading the Spartans to their comeback victory after falling behind 17-0 midway through the second quarter.

3. Oklahoma wide receiver Ryan Broyles suffered an ankle injury in the first quarter Saturday night against Missouri. With his speed, agility and sticky hands unavailable, the Sooners' coaching staff shifted the focus to their next best receiving threat -- running back DeMarco Murray. Rather than feature their potential All-American running back on screens or short dump-off passes, the Sooners simply split Murray out wide.

The "experiment" only lasted one drive, as Broyles returned to the field in the second quarter. Murray caught three passes for 28 yards in his first drive as a receiver, running a variety of routes and catching the ball cleanly. He caught a 4-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter and finished tied with Broyles for the team lead with eight receptions (for 48 yards).

Though ABC's commentators seemed surprised by Murray's move out wide, the reality is that several NFL teams are looking at Murray as a Reggie Bush-like multipurpose threat. Some teams even view him as a superior prospect at wide receiver.

This isn't to say that Murray can't play running back in the NFL. Obviously, the majority of his experience has come at tailback and he has shown the quick feet, vision and toughness to be quite successful in the pro game. Some scouts do have concerns about his upright running style and relatively lean build. A slashing runner, he doesn't always play with the physicality scouts would prefer.

Murray's build and athleticism make him an intriguing receiver prospect. Due to his quick feet, Murray showed natural ability as a route-runner and is as reliable a "hands" receiver as I've seen this year. Considering this year's weak class of senior wide receivers, it is not out of the realm of possibility that the player who could prove to be the best in the class is currently Oklahoma's star running back.

4. One of the more highly touted prospects from the aforementioned senior wide receiver class, Nebraska's Niles Paul, enjoyed a strong bounce-back game against Oklahoma State on Saturday after a disappointing performance in the Cornhuskers' loss to Texas.

Paul dropped two potential touchdowns in the 20-13 loss to Texas, but quickly proved his worth against the Cowboys, returning a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and catching nine passes for a career-high 131 yards. Scouts know full well that having a bad game here or there is a reality for every player. They often look to see how player perform after disappointing performances to get an accurate gauge of their maturity, mental and emotional toughness and ability to handle the step up in competition they'll face in the NFL.

One strong game won't erase the memories of Paul's lackluster performance against the Longhorns. It does, however, show Paul's competitive fire. Paired with his rare combination of size (6-1, 220) and 4.45 speed, that will have the scouts' attention.

5. LSU entered the weekend showdown with Auburn ranked first in the SEC in run defense. Even in surrendering an Auburn-record 440 rushing yards and struggling offensively, LSU remained competitive -- largely because of some spectacular punting by senior Derek Helton.

Specialists rarely get noticed by NFL scouts on the road unless they make a critical mistake. In this game, Helton's ability to pin Auburn deep and punt the Tigers out of trouble on multiple occasions was certain to catch the attention of any NFL personnel scouting the game.

Helton was particularly impressive in the third quarter, dropping two punts inside the 2-yard line and booming another 56 yards. Barring a total collapse down the stretch, Helton will at least be offered a tryout and could very well end up as one of the few punters drafted based largely on the impression he made last week.

I am watching the Oregon State v. Washington game and I am very impressed with Quizz. I had never seen him play, but was in the "he is too small" camp. Now I am sold. He runs with a lot of strength, and he is very solid through the lower body.
My personal favorite RB in the entire draft.Hoping some NFL teams think he's too small so he'll fall in the draft. :lmao: I think he's going to be a high impact guy as soon as his rookie year.

Obviously there are a million early mocks up, but here's one by FFToolbox.com that was updated just yesterday, fwiw:

1. BUF: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

For the better part of a decade, the Bills have needed to draft a quarterback in the first round. After drafting RB C.J. Spiller, they now need a passer who can command a defense's respect and attention. Luck has almost single-handedly turned Stanford into a top ranked team. He is the draft's most NFL-ready QB and will be rewarded as such with the No. 1 pick.

2. CAR: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia*

The Panthers are currently ranked dead last in points scored, yards and passing yards in the NFL. Green can come in immediately and have an impact as the clear-cut best receiver in this year's draft.

3. SF: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Any good 3-4 defense relies on three stout linemen to eat up blockers which allows their linebackers to roam free. The 49ers currently have two defensive linemen that fit that bill. DT Aubrayo Franklin could move on this year and Dareus has the versatility to play either anywhere in a 3-4 defensive line.

4. DET: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU*

An absolute dream scenario for the Detroit Lions would be to land Peterson. He is a can't-miss prospect who could be a game-changer for years to come. Detroit has failed miserably over the years in attempting to sign a free agent cornerback to lock down their opponents' passing game. Peterson instantly takes their secondary to the next level.

5. CLE: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State*

Cleveland is a team that needs a big body in the trenches and a perfect fit would be to have Heyward make the two-hour drive north to Cleveland. Heyward could get a look at both NT or either DE spots in the Browns' 3-4 defense.

6. DAL: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina*

Dallas needs an interior lineman but there aren't any with this kind of value available. Quinn comes in as an athletic specimen and bolsters an already above average front seven.

7. SD: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

The trouble in San Diego stems from a defense that is getting pushed around in the trenches. Adding Clayborn provides depth at a position at the center of their problems. Clayborn is a tough, thick lineman who can get upfield and neutralize both ball-carriers and quarterbacks alike.

8. NE: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Everyone wants a RB here, but we're talking about the Patriots. They're going to draft another cornerback as they've struggled against the pass this season. It's not just youth, it is a lack of talent.

9. DEN: Allen Bailey, DE, Miami

Denver needs an upgrade in the middle of their defense. Bailey is a freak athlete that can change the attitude of the team with his talents. He's been a real handful for offensive linemen so far this season.

10. MIN: Jake Locker, QB, Washington

Locker tumbles a bit in the draft as teams realize he isn't a very polished quarterback. Brett Favre clearly has almost nothing left in the tank and it's clear the Vikings weren't comfortable with what they had at the position before Favre arrived. Locker is a good fit for quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers.

11. CIN: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Wisconsin has been churning out offensive linemen for years and Carimi will make that tradition proud. Cincinnati needs to retool its offense around the running game. Carimi is one of the few offensive line prospects this season that can come in and make a difference in his rookie season.

12. WAS: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama*

Head coach Mike Shanahan is as stubborn as they come about running backs but it's clear that Washington needs talent and depth at the position. Ingram provides both as the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner.

13. STL: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College*

The Rams need to protect their investment, also known as Sam Bradford. Castanzo is among the best options at the offensive tackle position but needs to establish that he can play left tackle as some currently feel he is only a right tackle.

14. JAX: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas*

Jacksonville may be struggling with a porous defense, but their quarterback play has been unacceptable this season. Sometimes the best offense is an improved offense. They can't lean on Maurice Jones-Drew forever as an one-dimensional offense is not working for them.

15. GB: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina*

With ideal size and natural speed, Carter provides much-needed depth to a Packers' defense which has been decimated by injuries this season.

16. TB: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson*

Bowers feels like a good fit and Tampa Bay needs speed on the edge of their defensive line to make things work in their Tampa 2 defense. Bowers has the potential to go earlier so taking him this late would be a steal.

17. SEA: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

Seattle has three offensive linemen who need new contracts and with Pete Carroll still getting his feet wet, it may be time to rebuild at the offensive tackle position. Sherrod is a big man-mover who provides instant credibility to a no-name offensive line.

18. MIA: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma*

The bottom line is that the Dolphins want to be a team that can beat up defenses with their running game. Injury issues between Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams have made this a serious problem. Murray can be an everydown back in the NFL and he possesses difference maker quickness and power.

19. KC: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State

It's not a sexy pick, but Kansas City needs help in the interior of their line. For a team that wants to build a dynamic offense, it all starts at the center position where they have struggled.

20. ARI: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas*

Brown has great speed and a natural athleticism which is rare for his position. He played receiver in high school so he understands the principles of both his own position and the position he will cover. With great body control, straight-line speed and a nose for the football, Brown could fly up draft boards with a strong combine performance.

21. TEN: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh*

Baldwin fits what Tennessee is looking for in a tall (6-5) receiver who can go after the football. The Titans have tried to address this position later in the draft with little success. Baldwin can come in and start for a team that has sifted through receivers only to come up short.

22. PHI: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida*

Philly has warmed up to QB Michael Vick because their offensive line can't block. Pouncey is an immediate upgrade at the position and given the success of his twin brother Maurkice in Pittsburgh, teams likely won't hesitate to take the chance on him.

23. NYG: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA*

Ayers is a force at outside linebacker with the ability to play with speed from sideline to sideline. His vision and instincts are desperately needed on the Giants, severely lacking depth at the LB position.

24. NO: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech*

The Saints may have a lot of options at RB, but none of them appear to be able to stay healthy. Williams has all the tools the Saints require out of a back. He can both run and catch the ball with amazing change of direction. Williams is just too good to pass up at this stage of the draft.

25. IND: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

Indy's recent struggles on defense are due to weakness right up the middle of their defense. It all starts by generating a push in the middle and Paea can certainly do that. He takes on double teams with a tenacity and by occupying blockers, can free things up for the Colts' pass rushing specialists Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

26. HOU: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame*

Houston may not need Randolph, but he provides instant offense. Owen Daniels isn't quite the same and the Texans need a guy who can work the middle of the field. Randolph is a special, athletic TE prospect that will contribute from Day 1.

27. CHI: DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson

Chicago has been searching for a high-quality safety for years and McDaniel is just that. He has a nose for the football but he's the right fit for a zone-oriented defense.

28. BAL: Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina

Sturdivant is tough as nails and has been a consistent playmaker on defense for North Carolina. Baltimore is getting younger on defense and they need to continue that trend. Sturdivant has all the intangibles to make for a good fit in Baltimore.

29. PIT: DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas

Pittsburgh needs to get back to its roots and that's the power run game. That all starts upfront in the offensive line. The Steelers' blocking has been miserable this season and they need to add young talent to a very rapidly aging line.

30. NE: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama*

Jones wasn't asked to carry the team at Alabama but that doesn't mean he can't do so. He has all the tools to be a success at the next level. He's a game-changer at receiver. Now that Randy Moss is gone, the Patriots need a versatile, big receiver to take his place. Jones can be that player.

31. ATL: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia*

Atlanta is very thin at cornerback and Dowling is one of the most experienced and well-rounded prospects in the draft. He does everything well and

32. NYJ: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State

The 2009 Big Ten defensive player of the year is going to fly up draft charts for his athleticism and natural gift to lead by example. This is a team in a very defensive oriented division and Jones provides the team an identity they can rally around on defense.

Demarco Murray, every down NFL back? Huh?
He's a 5th year sr. Not many successful nfl backs have stayed in college for 5 years, especially ones who were big recruits and got tons of opportunity from the get go.If a rb gets opportunity and isn't in the nfl after 4 yrs of college that is a huge red flag. It isn't like he was an unknown who didn't get chances until his jr season.

Obviously there are a million early mocks up, but here's one by FFToolbox.com that was updated just yesterday, fwiw:

26. HOU: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame*

Houston may not need Randolph, but he provides instant offense. Owen Daniels isn't quite the same and the Texans need a guy who can work the middle of the field. Randolph is a special, athletic TE prospect that will contribute from Day 1.

There might be roits in Houston if they draft a TE in the first round. Not that I don't like Randolph as a prospect. I will just say this guy can't follow the Texans too closely with that pick.

NorrisB said:
EBF what would you say the top 12 picks look like?
Way too early to say. Depends on who comes out and what happens at workouts, not to mention where these guys end up. Right now I would say something like this for PPR dynasty:1. RB Mark Ingram, Alabama - This is about the only ranking that I think we can set in stone. 2. WR AJ Green, Georgia - Still not 100% convinced he's the best WR in this crop, but I'll buy it for now. 3. WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh - Tall and strong with good hands. Burst is a question mark.4. WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - Same story as Baldwin. 5. WR Julio Jones, Alabama - Not the smoothest player, but a workout warrior type who could end up in the WR1-WR2 spot. 6. WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State - Just keeps producing and could move up. 7. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford - Clearly the best draft-eligible QB prospect. Don't be surprised if he returns to school though. 8. RB LaMichael James, Oregon - Has the gaudy statistics and explosive speed that you look for, but he could be the product of a friendly system. 9. RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois - I've said he's 75% Mendenhall and 25% Mike Bush. 2nd-4th round prospect whose size gives him 300+ carry potential. 10. WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma - Oklahoma's offense has a way of making mediocre WRs look great, but Sooner homers insist that Broyles is legit. 11. WR Titus Young, Boise State - Boise's most explosive player will draw comparisons to DeSean Jackson. 12. RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State - The skill is all there, but his size could limit him to a Sproles type role. BUBBLERB Shane Vereen, Cal - Quietly keeps producing. He lacks special qualities, but has few glaring weaknesses.RB Adam Robinson, Iowa - Shonn Greene type who excels with meat-and-potatoes inside running.WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami - Size/speed combo is compelling and he's starting to produce like a star. I think it's hard to separate the top tier of WRs right now. You could rank them in almost any order.There's not a lot of RB talent to get excited about beyond Ingram.Expect things to become clearer as more data points pour in.

NorrisB said:
EBF what would you say the top 12 picks look like?
Way too early to say. Depends on who comes out and what happens at workouts, not to mention where these guys end up. Right now I would say something like this for PPR dynasty:1. RB Mark Ingram, Alabama - This is about the only ranking that I think we can set in stone. 2. WR AJ Green, Georgia - Still not 100% convinced he's the best WR in this crop, but I'll buy it for now. 3. WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh - Tall and strong with good hands. Burst is a question mark.4. WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - Same story as Baldwin. 5. WR Julio Jones, Alabama - Not the smoothest player, but a workout warrior type who could end up in the WR1-WR2 spot. 6. WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State - Just keeps producing and could move up. 7. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford - Clearly the best draft-eligible QB prospect. Don't be surprised if he returns to school though. 8. RB LaMichael James, Oregon - Has the gaudy statistics and explosive speed that you look for, but he could be the product of a friendly system. 9. RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois - I've said he's 75% Mendenhall and 25% Mike Bush. 2nd-4th round prospect whose size gives him 300+ carry potential. 10. WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma - Oklahoma's offense has a way of making mediocre WRs look great, but Sooner homers insist that Broyles is legit. 11. WR Titus Young, Boise State - Boise's most explosive player will draw comparisons to DeSean Jackson. 12. RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State - The skill is all there, but his size could limit him to a Sproles type role. BUBBLERB Shane Vereen, Cal - Quietly keeps producing. He lacks special qualities, but has few glaring weaknesses.RB Adam Robinson, Iowa - Shonn Greene type who excels with meat-and-potatoes inside running.WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami - Size/speed combo is compelling and he's starting to produce like a star. I think it's hard to separate the top tier of WRs right now. You could rank them in almost any order.There's not a lot of RB talent to get excited about beyond Ingram.Expect things to become clearer as more data points pour in.
Yep this draft is shaking out to be very WR heavy. I think a case could be made for any of those top 5 WR's. The biggest disappointment in this class has to be Ryan Williams. He looked like a legit #2 option to Ingram and a potential 1st round pick. I am still higher on Quizz than most, I think he is an NFL starter. I also think its possible Kyle Rudolph declares this year, and if he does he has to be top 12 IMO. I see a Jason Witten type impact for him. One player who I think needs to be on that bubble or low on the list is Armon Binns. He likely won't be a 1st rounder, but he has a lot of talent IMO.

QBs who could "raise" from nowhere to the 1st/2nd round. Always hard to tell with QBs, but biggers school guys like Christian Ponder, Jerrod Johnson and Jocory Harris are frauds as high pick starters. Cam Newton has tools and a year of really good production but would be surprised if that vaults him in the the 1st/2nd round at this point, but i expect him to be drafted for development.

Blaine Gabbert Missouri 6'5 235

Pat Devlin Delaware 6'4 220

Nick Foles Arizona 6'5" 230

QBs who could "raise" from nowhere to the 1st/2nd round. Always hard to tell with QBs, but biggers school guys like Christian Ponder, Jerrod Johnson and Jocory Harris are frauds as high pick starters. Cam Newton has tools and a year of really good production but would be surprised if that vaults him in the the 1st/2nd round at this point, but i expect him to be drafted for development. Blaine Gabbert Missouri 6'5 235Pat Devlin Delaware 6'4 220Nick Foles Arizona 6'5" 230
I expect Kirk Cousins to get drafted somewhere in rounds 2-4 when he declares. He has really progressed over this past year.

Users who are viewing this thread