What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2016 Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Isnt cardale jones like 24 already? Probably didnt want to leave OSU for a paycut ;)
He will be 23 in September. So 23 when drafted in 2016.
Was meant to be satirical, but that is still very old for a prospect. I can't see him going with a high pick in the draft. Was shocked he didn't come out.
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick were 24 their rookie season. His age is fine if he's any good.

Isnt cardale jones like 24 already? Probably didnt want to leave OSU for a paycut ;)
Was meant to be satirical, but that is still very old for a prospect. I can't see him going with a high pick in the draft. Was shocked he didn't come out.
Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick were 24 their rookie season. His age is fine if he's any good.
Age is not my concern with him when QB's are playing into their late 30's.

And neither of them went high in the draft, which was my point. Also, not many QBs come out at that age and find success. Finding the needle doesn't eliminate all the hay

And neither of them went high in the draft, which was my point. Also, not many QBs come out at that age and find success. Finding the needle doesn't eliminate all the hay
If Cardale had declared, your argument probably would have been "he hasn't had that much playing time". Either you think he's good or not. The age argument against Cardale is weak. Old QBs don't get drafted high because they're not good enough at all to have declared earlier anyway.

I'd say Cardale is a better prospect than Derek Carr, who went early 2nd, and Sean Mannion, who went in the 3rd.

amicsta said:
In the past 27 years only 4 QB's who were 24 (none older) were drafted in the top 15:

- Tannehill

- Palmer

- Harrington

- Akili Smith

Other than the two Tedford QB's, it seems like the NFL has done a good job of weeding out older QB's who aren't starting material.

I'm not high on Cardale but if he's drafted in the top 15 I won't let his age be a factor.

Saw 2 mocks with Notre Dame WR Corey Robinson in the 1st. Dude might not even lead his team in receiving this year, just like last year.

Saw 2 mocks with Notre Dame WR Corey Robinson in the 1st. Dude might not even lead his team in receiving this year, just like last year.
I looked at a depth chart after the spring and it didn't even show him as a starter. I saw that same mock and it didn't make any sense.

Rotoworld:

TCU coach Gary Patterson compared TCU senior WR Kolby Listenbee's versatility and precision in running routes to Odell Beckham Jr.

"Patterson is obviously expecting big things from Listenbee, who was given a shot to star in the spring after an injury to vertical threat Josh Doctson," ESPN's Travis Haney wrote. "With experience at every position on offense, Patterson hinted that co-OCs Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie will be able to implement additional formations and ideas in the second year of the spread at TCU. Expect Listenbee to be a huge part of that next chapter." The analyst named Listenbee the No. 2 breakout candidate in the nation. At last year's Big 12 Championships, Listenbee ranked fifth in the 100 meters and finished fourth in the 200 meters. He's arguably the fastest player in the country.

Source: ESPN Insider

May 6 - 8:42 PM

2016 Mock Draft! Whoo hoo!

Football Outsiders' 2015 season projections were used for the draft order.

I posted this tweet a few days ago and I stand by it.

Just be aware, rankings and mock drafts at this time of year lead to the dreaded "Once considered a first round pick..."

— Josh Norris (@JoshNorris)

May 4, 2015
Please do not use these “projections” as where prospects were once considered. Mock drafts this early are more for watchlist purposes. "Next year" is not always better than this year. Remember how closely these prospects are evaluated and even nitpicked during the process. That does not happen on live viewing.

1. Washington Redskins - DL Joey Bosa, Ohio State - You will see Bosa listed as an edge player in many places. He can line up outside, but I’ve seen Bosa handled tackles a guards while closed by another defender. He wins with power and quickness.

2. Cleveland Browns - QB Cody Kessler, USC - Of the quarterbacks in first round contention (at this time), Kessler easily was the most consistent in terms of positive performances. His arm is not outstanding, but he certainly has functional mobility and a willingness to work through reads.

3. Oakland Raiders - T Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame - You all know how much I love Stanley’s game. I would have ranked him as the top T in the 2015 draft. He can take over for Donald Penn on the left side.

4. Tennessee Titans - CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Florida - Hargreaves has faced some of the top receivers in the country. He has not always won, but there is obvious skill in his game. Expect him to lock down many opponents this season.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DL/EDGE DeForest Buckner, Oregon - Arik Armstead was worthy of a first round selection, but there were numerous games where Buckner was the better player. After focusing on offense early in the 2015 draft, the Bucs might shift to defense in 2016.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars - DL A’Shawn Robinson, Alabama - The Jags added a much needed edge player in Dante Fowler. They have plenty of young pieces on offense. A long term interior defensive line piece might be their biggest need.

7. New York Jets - QB Christian Hackenberg, Penn State - Remember, it is May of 2015, but I do not see how someone can watch Christian Hackenberg’s 2014 games and see a top 10 worthy prospect. Was the situation good? No. Did he make it worse? Frequently, yes. 2015 will obviously be important for his evaluation.

8. St. Louis Rams - LB Myles Jack, UCLA - A complete linebacker who can help in the run, blitzing and in coverage. The Rams could use a linebacker who consistently plays at a high level.

9. Arizona Cardinals - QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State - I am so happy we will have more than two games to evaluate Cardale. After re-watching both, the Oregon contest was more impressive than his game against Alabama. His evaluation is a bit of a mystery right now: will Cardale continue to escape out of the back of the pocket? Can he progress past being a see-it, throw-it passer?

10. Minnesota Vikings - T Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss - Tunsil suffered a fracture fibula in December, so that is definitely worth watching. Before the injury he was one of the more dependable left tackles in college football.

11. Carolina Panthers - S Su’a Cravens, USC - Cravens makes plenty of plays in the backfield, at the line of scrimmage and at the second level both in coverage and against the run. I would be interested to see how he handles more split safety or single high reps.

12. Chicago Bears - QB Connor Cook, Michigan State - At times, Cook’s inability to effectively handle pressure borders on being a fatal flaw. Hopefully he harnesses the positive reps when he shows good movement while keeping his eyes up. Cook is certainly willing to throw into contested situations.

13. San Francisco 49ers - WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss - Treadwell is coming off of a major left leg injury suffered in November. He is very good at creating a sliver of space in the final moments of a route to separate.

14. Detroit Lions - DL Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss - Nkemdiche was much better as an interior pass rusher than when lined up on the edge. He was extremely quick, powerful and explosive against interior offensive linemen.

15. Houston Texans - QB Jared Goff, Cal - Goff reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo. He is willing to look at multiple receivers and has a quick motion. However, some will question his velocity since defensive backs are frequently close to making plays on his passes. Will five quarterbacks be selected in the first round? No.

16. Buffalo Bills - DL Chris Jones, Miss State - Jones burst onto the scene as a true freshman and has not really slowed down. Miss State likes to use a rotation up front, which I respect. Jones could be Kyle Williams’ future replacement.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - LB Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame - Emmanuel Lamur is the Bengals’ best athlete at linebacker. At some point they have to move on from Rey Maualuga, right? Right? Smith and Burfict would be a nice combination.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - T Jack Conklin, Michigan State - Some might end up ranking Conklin as he top tackle in the class. Connor Cook’s success is somewhat linked to Conklin’s performance in 2015.

19. Philadelphia Eagles - G Nick Martin, Notre Dame - The Eagles have one of the oldest offensive lines in the NFL and their depth might be questioned in 2015. Martin, Zack’s brother, will have experience at G and C before leaving Notre Dame.

20. San Diego Chargers - WR De’Runnya Wilson, Miss State - Wilson ran into trouble off the field in the form of a marijuana charge in early March. He flashes tremendous ability to win in contested situations and could breakout in 2015.

21. New Orleans Saints - WR Marquez North, Tennessee - If Tennessee produces consistent performances in 2015, expect North to be a major factor. He has moments of flare, especially when making contested grabs with corners draped on him. One receiver will emerge this year, and it could be North.

22. New York Giants - RB Derrick Henry, Alabama - Lets continue with more running backs in the first round. Zach Whitman has already hinted at Henry’s future SPARQ score. He has long speed along with great power to be first contact. He might give Giants’ fans a good Brandon Jacobs vibe.

23. Baltimore Ravens - CB Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech - Fuller did not play as well his sophomore year as his freshman year. Still, it's not as if the talent disappeared. Teams will like the NFL bloodlines.

24. Kansas City Chiefs - S Jalen Ramsey, FSU - Ramsey has no clear position at this time, which is fine. He plays in the slot, at linebacker and at safety. Pinpointing where and how he consistently wins will be critical.

25. Atlanta Falcons - WR Rashard Higgins, Colorado State - Higgins is awesome. From what I saw, the CSU receiver was very good at picking up yards after the catch once creating and sustaining separation.

26. Indianapolis Colts - RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State - Elliott’s final stretch of the season was unreal. Ohio State is returning so many talented players, so expectations are high for the running back’s upcoming season.

27. Green Bay Packers - EDGE Leonard Floyd, Georgia - Floyd has plenty of natural ability. He has the frame, length, functional strength and speed teams covet. He needs to put all of those tools in a package consistently.

28. Denver Broncos - LB Darron Lee, Ohio State - Another athletic linebacker. Matching receivers, tight ends and running backs in space is becoming more important. Preventing a mismatch is another way to put it. Lee can offer that athleticism.

29. Miami Dolphins - EDGE Shawn Oakman, Baylor - As much as I like Oakman, I would love for him to put his ability on display more frequently. Do not expect him to bend and turn the corner. Instead, look for ridiculous speed to power

30. Dallas Cowboys - RB Corey Clement, Wisconsin - Three running backs? Why not? Clement now has the clear lane to more carries. He has explosion to take advantage of space created and can break arm tackles. Hopefully Wisconsin’s passing offense is improved.

31. New England Patriots - WR Josh Doctson, TCU - Doctson is recovering from a broken hand suffered in spring practice. He can really elevate and float in 50/50 situations. His game is not too dissimilar from DeVante Parker’s.

32. Seattle Seahawks - EDGE Anthony Zettel, Penn State - Zettel is a great prospect who lines up outside and inside. Expect for more to catch on to his name during Big Ten play.

Im here to defer to you devy-savvy people. I'm nearing the end of my draft and own the rights to someone elses devy pick (used mine on Henry), this league is superflex and I could use more rb and qb help for this team. Which direction would you be aiming? My personal top guys left (Im feeling a bit lost regarding the qbs). Im generally averse to taking a guy who is likely 2 years out since we don't go that deep in devy (12 total players each year)

Cardale

Cook

Goff

Boykin

J Johnson

(Hackenburgh the only QB gone)

A Collins

Clement

Connor

Williams

(Henry, Elliot, Chubb gone)

(Treadwell, Boyd, DeRunnya, Davis gone) in case there's a consensus top wr sitting in your mind.

In my SuperFlex Devys the 4 QBs would go before any of the RBs. In order probably Cardale, Cook, Boykin, Golf.

massraider said:

2. Cleveland Browns - QB Cody Kessler, USC - Of the quarterbacks in first round contention (at this time), Kessler easily was the most consistent in terms of positive performances. His arm is not outstanding, but he certainly has functional mobility and a willingness to work through reads.

7. New York Jets - QB Christian Hackenberg, Penn State - Remember, it is May of 2015, but I do not see how someone can watch Christian Hackenberg’s 2014 games and see a top 10 worthy prospect. Was the situation good? No. Did he make it worse? Frequently, yes. 2015 will obviously be important for his evaluation.

9. Arizona Cardinals - QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State - I am so happy we will have more than two games to evaluate Cardale. After re-watching both, the Oregon contest was more impressive than his game against Alabama. His evaluation is a bit of a mystery right now: will Cardale continue to escape out of the back of the pocket? Can he progress past being a see-it, throw-it passer?

12. Chicago Bears - QB Connor Cook, Michigan State - At times, Cook’s inability to effectively handle pressure borders on being a fatal flaw. Hopefully he harnesses the positive reps when he shows good movement while keeping his eyes up. Cook is certainly willing to throw into contested situations.

15. Houston Texans - QB Jared Goff, Cal - Goff reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo. He is willing to look at multiple receivers and has a quick motion. However, some will question his velocity since defensive backs are frequently close to making plays on his passes. Will five quarterbacks be selected in the first round? No.
QB needy teams will be happy they didn't pick 1st or 2nd in the 2015 draft. I don't agree with the order but I could see 5 guys if they all enter the 2016 draft.

massraider said:

QB needy teams will be happy they didn't pick 1st or 2nd in the 2015 draft. I don't agree with the order but I could see 5 guys if they all enter the 2016 draft.
Exactly! Easily a better QB class next year. Boykin, Johnson and Kiel could make a run as well. If the Titans love Mariota, great. But if they picked him just because they HAD to have a QB this year, they made a mistake. They'll still be picking in a range to get several of the guys above in 2016.

Slow time of the year for CFB, but here are some Thomas Tyner spring game highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCr68NxDnlU

Nothing too amazing really. I think these clips do show some of the good/bad of Tyner though. Upright build. Seems a bit labored when running through traffic. Nice speed once he gets rumbling though. The last one is probably the best play on this short reel.

Gonna be a battle for touches next season at Oregon with Marshall/Tyner/Freeman returning and the new kids Merritt and Griffin possibly getting some looks at either WR or RB.

Rotoworld:

Auburn senior WR Duke Williams checked in at No. 8 to the Rams on Todd McShay's 2016 mock draft.

"Williams established himself as a big-play threat in his first season at Auburn after transferring from junior college, averaging 16.2 yards per reception on 45 catches," he wrote. "He needs to improve his consistency, but has the physical tools (he's 6-2, 224 pounds) to be a very good NFL receiver." Rotoworld's Josh Norris does not slot him into Round 1 at this time. If Duke proves he is Kevin White-like royalty by dominating in 2015, he's going to similarly be a top-10 pick. If he shows Sammie Coates-like flashes with long disappearing acts, he'll likewise go at some point on Day 2.

May 9 - 8:51 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay mocked Cal junior QB Jared Goff to the Cardinals at No. 9.

"The Cardinals eventually need to find a long-term replacement at quarterback for Carson Palmer, who will turn 36 this year," he wrote. "Goff has good size (6-4, 210 pounds), a big arm and is a naturally accurate passer. He was really productive as a true sophomore in 2014: 3,973 yards, 35 TDs, 7 INTs." Rotoworld's Josh Norris slotted Goff No. 15 and compared him to Jimmy Garoppolo. "He is willing to look at multiple receivers and has a quick motion," Norris wrote. "However, some will question his velocity since defensive backs are frequently close to making plays on his passes."

May 9 - 7:34 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Jeffri Chadiha reports that USC's Cody Kessler, Cal's Jared Goff, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, Penn State's Christian Hackenberg, Michigan State's Connor Cook and Ohio State's Cardale Jones are all "high on the radars of NFL's scouts."

You'll note the presence of Wentz. Draftniks will want to monitor him throughout the season, because the NFL will be. The 6-foot-6, 231-pound Wentz is the early favorite to win FCS Player of the Year honors in 2015. He threw for 3,111 yards with a 25/10 TD/INT ratio last season and also broke NDSU's post-veer-option (1996) QB record with 642 rushing yards.

Source: ESPN.com
May 9 - 12:02 AM

Rotoworld:

Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook slotted No. 2 to the Browns in Todd McShay's 2016 mock draft.

"Cook has good size at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and is coming off of back-to-back productive seasons as a starter, including leading the Spartans to Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl victories," McShay wrote. Cook has been projected all over the place in preliminary mock exercises. Josh Norris slotted him No. 12. "At times, Cook’s inability to effectively handle pressure borders on being a fatal flaw," Norris wrote. "Hopefully he harnesses the positive reps when he shows good movement while keeping his eyes up. Cook is certainly willing to throw into contested situations."

May 8 - 11:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Penn State junior QB Christian Hackenberg went No. 1 to the Redskins in Todd McShay's 2016 mock draft.

Well, that's optimistic. "Hackenberg struggled in 2014 with a 12-touchdown, 15-interception season, but he's a big-time talent with a pro-style skill set," McShay explained. Fair enough. An AFC scout told ESPN this week that Hackenberg is better than Ohio State's Cardale Jones or Michigan State's Connor Cook. He wasn't last year, but the talent is obviously there. The 6-foot-4, 236-pounder simply must learn to handle pressure better.

May 8 - 10:10 PM

Rotoworld:

An AFC scout said Penn State junior QB Christian Hackenberg is better than Ohio State's Cardale Jones or Michigan State's Connor Cook.

We were unimpressed by Hackenberg's work last year, but he has at least one more year to convert us (it appears the NFL wasn't concerned). The 6-foot-4, 236-pounder threw for 2,995 yards and 20 touchdowns as a true freshman in 2013, but regressed to a 12/15 TD/INT rate last season. "When you evaluate quarterbacks, you can't just look at it like one guy is better than another," said an AFC quarterbacks coach. "You have to factor personalities into it. You have to ask yourself if a kid has a great football IQ. Does he swing first in a fight? Is he really mentally tough? Once you get past the arm strength and the size and all the measurable stuff, that's when the conversation really starts about these guys."

May 8 - 8:27 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Chad Reuter believes Auburn senior WR Duke Williams could be a top-10 pick if he has a big season.

"His ability to put the passing game on his shoulders as a senior will be the difference between Williams being a top-10 pick and a second-rounder with question marks," Reuter wrote. Williams was compared by NFL scouts to Chicago's Alshon Jeffery and Tampa Bay's Mike Evans last season. The 6-foot-2, 216-pounder had first-round buzz last year but sprained an MCL and was then suspended for breaking team rules. He's one of the nation's most intriguing outside talents.

Source: NFL.com
May 8 - 7:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss junior WR Laquon Treadwell "has a Dez Bryant skill-set with his size and athleticism combination to be a mismatch against cornerbacks on the outside," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Treadwell's gruesome left leg injury, suffered in November versus Auburn, is expected to be just about completely healed by the fall. Assuming it is, he should solidify a first-round ticket in 2015. "Treadwell is the early favorite to be the top receiver in the 2016 NFL Draft with his body control and ball skills, making it look easy to track, pluck and overwhelm defenders at the catch point," Rang wrote.

Source: CBS Sports
May 8 - 7:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Independent quarterback coach George Whitfield says Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook "has great physical maturity, a throwing motion that is less shotgun and more automatic weapon and [a] confidence [that] has skyrocketed."

Last season, Cook won offensive MVP at the Rose Bowl and was a second-team All-Big Ten selection. Whitfield has been working with him since he was a redshirt freshman. While the NFL has introduced several prolific dual-threat QBs in recent years, it still prefers the classic dropback profile Cook provides. "If you ask most people in this league, all things being equal, they'd take a pro-style guy over a spread quarterback," said one AFC quarterbacks coach. "When you look at our league, not many run-around quarterbacks have won. You can say [seattle's] Russell Wilson did it, but how much do they really ask him to do? The top quarterbacks in this league make plays from the pocket."

May 8 - 7:11 PM

Users who are viewing this thread