What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

Dr. Dan said:
unfortunately he is no longer the best kept secret at WR. I'll predict, if he declares, that he's going to rise very fast and he will be in discussion as a top 5  rookie draft pick, maybe even top 3 wr, by the time we all draft

If he stays I think hes a top 10 pick in the NFL draft next year
He could be the #1 rookie pick come May. 

That is said literally every year at this time. I don't buy into it and neither should anyone else IMO. 
No, it isn't said every year. Last year at this time was MUCH better. Not even close.

Like I said, there's a lot of talent coming out EVERY year & it's ok to be excited about your picks, but anybody pushing 2019 as a great class is full of it, IMO.

It could get better as we get closer to the draft. That's very possible & it wouldn't surprise me, but as things stand right now, 2019 is the red-headed stepchild of recent classes. It also looks worse than upcoming classes.

In short, people need to be a lot more realistic about this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is said literally every year at this time. I don't buy into it and neither should anyone else IMO. 
No, it isn't said every year. Last year at this time was MUCH better. Not even close.
I think if you look back at previous versions of this thread you will find that you are wrong. 

Is there a Barkley or Zeke in this draft? No. But there isn't in 99.99% of drafts. 

The combine and, ultimately, the NFL Draft will change the current perspective dramatically. It always does. 

I think if you look back at previous versions of this thread you will find that you are wrong. 

Is there a Barkley or Zeke in this draft? No. But there isn't in 99.99% of drafts. 

The combine and, ultimately, the NFL Draft will change the current perspective dramatically. It always does. 
I have 2 1st in one league and 3 1st in another. I plan on keeping them all so I have better odds that one of my dart throws hits. 

The only thing I’m arguing is the quality of the 2019 class. Sure, there’s some nice talent (like always), but we’ll ultimately see the difference by what happens in the NFL draft (compared to recent classes).

Multiple reports that the 2020 class will be stacked with QB, RB, WR prospects in comparison to 2019. Anyone have any thoughts on this?  
Many times when a class is stacked, players stay in school the extra year. A guy like Damien Harris, who was a better prospect than Penny who was taken in the 1st, stayed in school so he would enter in a weaker class. 2020 looks strong at RB, but we don't know who is coming out yet. I'm not so sure WR is stacked in 2020, unless some of these big 2019 prospects stay in school. Happens every year.

The only thing I’m arguing is the quality of the 2019 class. Sure, there’s some nice talent (like always), but we’ll ultimately see the difference by what happens in the NFL draft (compared to recent classes).
I want to remind you that the same thing was said about the 2017 draft. It was weak. No elite level talent (although some had Fournette in that ballpark). 

Meanwhile, it's the best rookie crop we've had, maybe ever. 

I want to remind you that the same thing was said about the 2017 draft. It was weak. No elite level talent (although some had Fournette in that ballpark). 

dont bother with him. it's pointless. he says things like that so he can turn around in 10 months and be right no matter what happens. his opinion is one I value the least around here. 

doowain, not sure who told u 2017 was bad or where u read that, but I dont recall that being said on here. I am sure there were some naysayers, there always are, but dont remember that as the opinion for that class.  I loved the 2017 draft for FF.

Like I said, there's a lot of talent coming out EVERY year & it's ok to be excited about your picks, but anybody pushing 2019 as a great class is full of it, IMO.

It could get better as we get closer to the draft. That's very possible & it wouldn't surprise me, but as things stand right now, 2019 is the red-headed stepchild of recent classes. It also looks worse than upcoming classes.

In short, people need to be a lot more realistic about this class.
Other than Barkley and Guice at this time last year, 2019 looks fantastic and arguably just as good for non-RB's IMO.  There are 2-3 WR's who look just as good as Corey Davis was and another 3-4 that are better than ANY WR from 2018.  A couple RB's that are similar values to Royce/Kerryon as well.  The depth of last year was RB's and it just looks reversed into WR's this year with some depth at RB.  Think of it as reverse and it's the same class basically (besides the clear cut 1.01 and 1.02).  

The problem with 2019 is that RB's generally carry more value so a top5 dynasty pick isn't in this class like Barkley last year, but there's multiple potential top15 dynasty WR's.

Other than Barkley and Guice at this time last year, 2019 looks fantastic and arguably just as good for non-RB's IMO.  There are 2-3 WR's who look just as good as Corey Davis was and another 3-4 that are better than ANY WR from 2018.  A couple RB's that are similar values to Royce/Kerryon as well.  The depth of last year was RB's and it just looks reversed into WR's this year with some depth at RB.  Think of it as reverse and it's the same class basically (besides the clear cut 1.01 and 1.02).  

The problem with 2019 is that RB's generally carry more value so a top5 dynasty pick isn't in this class like Barkley last year, but there's multiple potential top15 dynasty WR's.
I think one major thing many of us are potentially forgetting is that 2018 had a great deal of over value at the rb position. In many leagues the 1st WR wasnt drafted until 1.8 or later. That's the direct result of 2017 RBs having an unusual degree of success. 

2018 was mistakenly judged by 2017, with many RBs potentially being drafted far earlier than they maybe should have. And here we are again, basing the next class off of the last class ("there isnt a barkley in this class, therefore this class is bad"). people dont learn. maybe they traded their picks away and they're just hoping they didn't make a mistake

ETA: once more of these RBs declare I think this draft will look much better. Jacobs can be just as good as Chubb IMO, and a fewothers may looks fantastic if they land in good situations. 

I do agree with the above, there is more depth at this point at wr than rb and I think it would be very difficult to change that. This class has some difference makers at wr. which is great because I need wrs  :football:

James Gardner - WR -  RedHawks

Miami (OH) senior WR James Gardner declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Gardner (6'4/217) could have returned next season since he missed most of 2018 (undisclosed) and still has his redshirt, but he'll head to the next level instead. The senior has the size and production to get serious NFL looks, but there are concerns about his speed and route running. If Gardner can test better than expected, he can sneak into the middle rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft. As a junior in 2017, Gardner averaged 19.7 yards per catch and hauled in 11 touchdowns.

Source: SB Nation 

Dec 30 - 11:31 AM

I think one major thing many of us are potentially forgetting is that 2018 had a great deal of over value at the rb position. In many leagues the 1st WR wasnt drafted until 1.8 or later. That's the direct result of 2017 RBs having an unusual degree of success. 

2018 was mistakenly judged by 2017, with many RBs potentially being drafted far earlier than they maybe should have. And here we are again, basing the next class off of the last class ("there isnt a barkley in this class, therefore this class is bad"). people dont learn. maybe they traded their picks away and they're just hoping they didn't make a mistake
That’s certainly part of it but it’s also because 2017 had Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross taken in the first 9 picks compared to the top wrs of 2018 going much later . So it wasn’t entirely a reaction to the success of the RBs. If there had been a couple top 10 wrs in the 2018 draft then it’s unlikely the top wr would have gone in the late first of rookie drafts. 

dont bother with him. it's pointless. he says things like that so he can turn around in 10 months and be right no matter what happens. his opinion is one I value the least around here. 
I can't make my opinion known on a class? LOL. You can choose who's opinion you value, but I have an outstanding track record regarding prospects & FF in general.

You just don't like my opinion.

The simple fact is recent classes were better at this time of the year. I'm not arguing it can't get better, but this class isn't as good. Period.

2017 weak?

I don't remember that, LOL. In fact, pretty much just the opposite.

I guess it depends on where you were with your assessments at this time, but many of us had guys like Kamara & Hunt pegged early (even though their value increased further as it got closer).

I'm not buying what you & some others are preaching about this class, but not a big deal. I believe that will be shown in the NFL draft.

There's no doubt some talent in this class, but what's important to decide at this point is do you trade out of it for 2020? 2019 certainly won't be as good as recent classes, IMO, but that doesn't matter now.

You have to compare it to the upcoming classes & in the right deal, there's no doubt I'd want to swap for 2020.

The simple fact is recent classes were better at this time of the year. I'm not arguing it can't get better, but this class isn't as good. Period.

What the class appears like right now doesn’t mean squat.  What it looks like September through December is what matters.  Where was Lindsay this time last year?  We can all name plenty of names of guys who were at the top of draft classes who crapped out just like we can name guys who slipped as far as free agency both in the NFL and FF who became valuable assets.

This class doesn’t have a Barkley, but maybe it has a few Kamaras or Hunts or Lindsays.  If so, it would end up better than last year’s alleged boatload of future studs.  Being open minded and not portraying opinions as facts is important right now.

What the class appears like right now doesn’t mean squat.  What it looks like September through December is what matters.  Where was Lindsay this time last year?  We can all name plenty of names of guys who were at the top of draft classes who crapped out just like we can name guys who slipped as far as free agency both in the NFL and FF who became valuable assets.

This class doesn’t have a Barkley, but maybe it has a few Kamaras or Hunts or Lindsays.  If so, it would end up better than last year’s alleged boatload of future studs.
In theory, sure, it doesn't matter now. That said, you can get a good feel for where it's going to end up.

Classes typically improve at least little bit from this point, but my opinion is this one will definitely fall short of recent classes at draft time.

That's really irrelevant, though. How does it compare to 2020 is the real question. I'm looking to swap if it makes sense.

There are at least 3 key positions open for 2019.  The KC RB, the Jets #1 WR, the Colts future #1 WR (sooner than later).

After that, there's a good chance that the RB position is filled in this class in BUF, NYJ and HOU. Bucs may make a move at RB as well.

ARI will draft a big WR is my guess.

The Bills need WR help bad.

CLE may take a big WR.

The 49ers will draft a receiver but he will be fast and underdeveloped, pull hamstrings and have other injuries but he will be fast when he's out there. RB as well.

If these are not filled, then they will be filled in the 2020 class which does indeed have some serious talent at both WR and RB.

Also there are opening in BAL for WR ...bleeccchh. MIA - QB position in flux, then there's OAK with all kinds of openings for the taking.

The Lions will take a WR and he will be as under utilized as Golladay. They will take a TE and not use him at all as the can't get enough of Theo Riddick greatness.

To be clear, much of my evaluation is based on perceived value. I typically trade a lot during rookie drafts.

Recent classes had a lot of perceived value. 2019 won't have nearly as much, IMO.

That's an important factor to consider when evaluating classes.

I agree with most of this. Only thing is I believe because there’s no “HYPED” RB people are downgrading this class. IMHO there’s two backs that have top 10-15 potential. There’s several others that at least have top 20-25 potential.

Tex

I currently have 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.9 plus 6 more in the 2nd round.

I plan to trade that 1.9 for a 2020 1st and trade those 2nds for 2020 2nds. Then try to get either that 1.4 or 1.5 pick.

Tex

James Gardner - WR -  RedHawks

Miami (OH) senior WR James Gardner declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Gardner (6'4/217) could have returned next season since he missed most of 2018 (undisclosed) and still has his redshirt, but he'll head to the next level instead. The senior has the size and production to get serious NFL looks, but there are concerns about his speed and route running. If Gardner can test better than expected, he can sneak into the middle rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft. As a junior in 2017, Gardner averaged 19.7 yards per catch and hauled in 11 touchdowns.

Source: SB Nation 

Dec 30 - 11:31 AM
This is the type a guy you make note of and will probably grab him later in the draft. Thanks for posting.

Tex

I'm not buying what you & some others are preaching about this class, but not a big deal. I believe that will be shown in the NFL draft.

There's no doubt some talent in this class, but what's important to decide at this point is do you trade out of it for 2020? 2019 certainly won't be as good as recent classes, IMO, but that doesn't matter now.

You have to compare it to the upcoming classes & in the right deal, there's no doubt I'd want to swap for 2020.
Just curious but is it because the RB's are lacking in 2019?  RB's tend to hold higher value so thta would be fair if you're just looking for a ~top10 dynasty player in a rookie draft and the WR's this year aren't going to come close to what Barkley was commanding before he got drafted.  

Just curious but is it because the RB's are lacking in 2019?  RB's tend to hold higher value so thta would be fair if you're just looking for a ~top10 dynasty player in a rookie draft and the WR's this year aren't going to come close to what Barkley was commanding before he got drafted.  
I don't like this RB class as a whole, especially at the top. QBs pale to last year & the WRs aren't the shining star they were originally thought to be.

TE looks pretty good & there's some decent talent overall, but it looks like a fairly mediocre class, IMO, & I believe that will be evident in the NFL draft.

There are at least 3 key positions open for 2019.  The KC RB, the Jets #1 WR, the Colts future #1 WR (sooner than later).

After that, there's a good chance that the RB position is filled in this class in BUF, NYJ and HOU. Bucs may make a move at RB as well.

CLE may take a big WR.

The 49ers will draft a receiver but he will be fast and underdeveloped, pull hamstrings and have other injuries but he will be fast when he's out there. RB as well.

If these are not filled, then they will be filled in the 2020 class which does indeed have some serious talent at both WR and RB.

Also there are opening in BAL for WR ...bleeccchh. MIA - QB position in flux, then there's OAK with all kinds of openings for the taking.

The Lions will take a WR and he will be as under utilized as Golladay. They will take a TE and not use him at all as the can't get enough of Theo Riddick greatness.
Eagles rb1 could be valuable as well

Football Jones said:
I don't like this RB class as a whole, especially at the top. QBs pale to last year & the WRs aren't the shining star they were originally thought to be.

TE looks pretty good & there's some decent talent overall, but it looks like a fairly mediocre class, IMO, & I believe that will be evident in the NFL draft.
What’s not to like?

Tex

CLE may take a big WR.

Won’t be shocked if Atlanta and Baltimore look at RBs. Miami could as well. 

What’s not to like?

Tex
The RBs?

Where do I start, LOL. I do like a couple guys & they may be able to be had for value, but unless things change drastically, I don't like the top of this RB class (in general).

I typically don't talk much about individual players before my rookie drafts, but I've had some requests to show my rankings or at least discuss things more. I'm debating whether to do that this year. If so, I'll give detailed explanations then.

save it. he wont give you more than some vague answer and no specifics. He has no clue yet why, he just doesnt 
You have to be one of the most uninformed & obnoxious persons on this board (no offense). You remind me of the classic keyboard warrior who wouldn't say #### in person.

I just explained myself prior to your post about why I haven't gone into detail on specific players.

BTW, me saying I don't like this class in general is exactly the same as you listing some names & saying you like the class.

Get over yourself.

You have to be one of the most uninformed & obnoxious persons on this board (no offense). You remind me of the classic keyboard warrior who wouldn't say #### in person.

I just explained myself prior to your post about why I haven't gone into detail on specific players.

BTW, me saying I don't like this class in general is exactly the same as you listing some names & saying you like the class.

Get over yourself.
Both of you drop it and get back to 100% on football and not jabs at each other. 

Miami junior RB Travis Homer declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Homer (5'11/195) is coming off back-to-back 950-yard rushing seasons, but the junior also has some ability as a receiver out of the backfield. Homer has at least 18 receptions and 186 receiving yards in his last two seasons. Only listed at 195 pounds, Homer isn't expected to be a primary ball carrier in the NFL and that was the case at Miami as well. Contingent on his Combine results, Homer is expected to come off the board on Day 3.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter 

Dec 30 - 2:48 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that he hears Utah junior RB Zack Moss will enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

Moss's season ended on an unfortunate note, picking up a knee injury after his knee reportedly locked up on him while getting into bed. The tailback was one of the most productive in the conference -- and country -- in 2017 and before the injury in 2018, and Pauline hears that Moss will be a Day 2 selection if he does enter the draft. That lines up with what other analysts have graded Moss, but the medicals will obviously be very important here.

Source: Bleav Podcast Network on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 12:35 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears that Stanford TE Kaden Smith will enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

Pauline mentioned this on his podcast, and noted that Smith is well-liked in the scouting community and is considered a "a big possession receiver in a tight end's body." Smith caught 47 passes for 635 yards with two scores, and did so despite often playing with/behind fellow tight end Colby Parkinson. We could hear a declaration from the 6-foot-5, 252-pound wideout soon, perhaps after Stanford's bowl game.

Source: Bleav Podcast Network on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 12:24 PM

A bit of a broken record now, as any RB mocked to KC in the first 2 rounds has me salivating, but Jacobs has really caught my eye lately. This is a great year for KC to get some amazing value at the RB position, round 1 or 2. Jacobs may vault himself to the top of the RB ranking list and may justify a late 1st round selection.

There are 3 RBs who, if picked by KC, should be 1.1. Jacobs is one of them and I think would have instant stud potential. I think he has stud potential regardless, but KC is the best scenario for any rookie RB right now. 

Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones declared for the 2019 Draft.

Jones (6'5/220) had an uneven three seasons with a weak supporting cast, finishing with a 59.5 career completion percentage. There's some concern Jones may need time to develop, but his measurables are at the top of this year's class. Jones draws strong grades for his pocket presence and mechanics after being developed under quarterback guru David Cutcliffe at Duke. Jones is a first-round lock and has potential to be a top-five pick.

Source: Stephen Wiseman on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 3:46 PM

Was hoping Jones would fall to DEN but it looks like if they want him, they are gonna need to #4 or $5. I'm sure Mayock (OAK) would entertain a trade down for more picks.

Users who are viewing this thread