What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2023 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

You need a buzzsaw at WR these days in PPR, 3-4 studs to unleash week in and week out, that's what wins these days.
You can squeeze by in redrafts with just 1 strong RB but you gotta have an air attack spearheaded with Top end WRs.

I think maybe one of the sneakiest things with fantasy rankings that has big implications for how we might rank these '23 rookies, dynasty startups, or '23 redraft rankings is individual league lineup settings, particularly at the WR position.

I get the sense that your example of start 3 WR, with the opportunity for 1 more at FLEX has become the most common. I think start 2 WR with the potential for 2 more at FLEX has also gained ground.

My 12-team dynasty league settings are old school. Start 2 WR, with the opportunity for 1 more at flex. This has also been the setup in my 14-team redraft for years. This was absolutely the gold standard in fantasy at one point, but I think that most leagues have moved on to starting 3 WRs or starting an additional flex.

It has very big implications for the valuation of WR vs RB. My dynasty team was also stacked at the WR position, rolling out a rotation AJB-Lamb-Wadle-Higgins. Generally always starting 3 and sitting 1. It definitely felt like overkill in my league settings. It put me at the top of WR performance, but without Chase or Jefferson, it wasn't an outlier. While WR was a reason for my success, it didn't feel like the reason.

If I could start 4, I'm sure my tune would be much different. But as it stands, I'm currently trying to pry Bijan and a late 2nd away for AJB + 1.7. I think a lot of people here would call that an overpay. The trade calculators do. But are those valuations and opinions based on the ability to start 3 WR or 4? In my league, multiple teams are going to have an excellent WR core. It's probably a prereq for being a contender. But the championship is going to the team that has that, along with a deadly RB duo, or Kelce, to go with a top QB.

Last edited:
You need a buzzsaw at WR these days in PPR, 3-4 studs to unleash week in and week out, that's what wins these days.
You can squeeze by in redrafts with just 1 strong RB but you gotta have an air attack spearheaded with Top end WRs.

I think maybe one of the sneakiest things with fantasy rankings that has big implications for how we might rank these '23 rookies, dynasty startups, or '23 redraft rankings is individual league lineup settings, particularly at the WR position.

I get the sense that your example of start 3 WR, with the opportunity for 1 more at FLEX has become the most common. I think start 2 WR with the potential for 2 more at FLEX has also gained ground.

My 12-team dynasty league settings are old school. Start 2 WR, with the opportunity for 1 more at flex. This has also been the setup in my 14-team redraft for years. This was absolutely the gold standard in fantasy at one point, but I think that most leagues have moved on to starting 3 WRs or starting an additional flex.

It has very big implications for the valuation of WR vs RB. My dynasty team was also stacked at the WR position, rolling out a rotation AJB-Lamb-Wadle-Higgins. Generally always starting 3 and sitting 1. It definitely felt like overkill in my league settings. It put me at the top of WR performance, but without Chase or Jefferson, it wasn't an outlier. While WR was a reason for my success, it didn't feel like the reason.

If I could start 4, I'm sure my tune would be much different. But as it stands, I'm currently trying to pry Bijan and a late 2nd away for AJB + 1.7. I think a lot of people here would call that an overpay. The trade calculators do. But are those valuations and opinions based on the ability to start 3 WR or 4? In my league, multiple teams are going to have an excellent WR core. It's probably a prereq for being a contender. But the championship is going to the team that has that, along with a deadly RB duo, or Kelce, to go with a top QB.
FYI, I'm strictly redrafts which this time of year most of the posters are the opposite.
I definitely prefer start 3-WR leagues, Flex 1 more.
One of the reasons I grab as many top flight WRs early is the ability to flip one of them later in the season for that elusive RB I need to take me over the top
I don't always get that trade but last year McCaffrey was an easy target. Still left with a 1-2-3 punch-WR and simply move a guy I was wanting to start anyways but didn't have room and slide them into the Flex or that 2-3 RB pool I was using as my RB2, they get added into the Flex rotation or possibilities. I like as much flexibility as possible and I find a loaded WR team can always find trade partners.

I also love teams built on 3 of the Top 10 RBs assuming you have the right combo and just pound the ground game.
But I think it's harder to find that combo then it is to gather a strike team at WR.
Fair warning, it can get dicey when the weather plummets and air assaults based in Cleveland suddenly become soggy muddy black holes on your roster.

Good luck in your leagues

FYI, I'm strictly redrafts which this time of year most of the posters are the opposite.
I definitely prefer start 3-WR leagues, Flex 1 more.
One of the reasons I grab as many top flight WRs early is the ability to flip one of them later in the season for that elusive RB I need to take me over the top
I don't always get that trade but last year McCaffrey was an easy target. Still left with a 1-2-3 punch-WR and simply move a guy I was wanting to start anyways but didn't have room and slide them into the Flex or that 2-3 RB pool I was using as my RB2, they get added into the Flex rotation or possibilities. I like as much flexibility as possible and I find a loaded WR team can always find trade partners.

I also love teams built on 3 of the Top 10 RBs assuming you have the right combo and just pound the ground game.
But I think it's harder to find that combo then it is to gather a strike team at WR.
Fair warning, it can get dicey when the weather plummets and air assaults based in Cleveland suddenly become soggy muddy black holes on your roster.

Good luck in your leagues

I still think 2WR + FLEX works fine for 14 teams, but it definitely feels like there are too many quality WRs not finding their way into lineups in 12-team.

The difference in valuation really gets driven home on the trade market. I know you're redraft, but I'm guessing if you had the same WRs that you wouldn't hesitate to add a 5th if something promising fell into your lap. Gives you protection for injuries and byes, lets you fade a bad matchup, but more importantly there's always going to be multiple teams in your league that have uninspiring WR3 and FLEX options that will pay up.

Not the case when you're capped at 3 WRs total including the FLEX. My leaguemates might not have my WRs, but they all have stories that they can tell themselves on how good their 3rd WR will turn out. Going after one of my WR1 or WR2s to fill out their lineup is regarded as an unnecessary luxury item.

You can guess what this does to my '23 rookie dynasty rankings. JSN is the only WR that I can say that I would definitely take at the 1.7 without hesitation. That won't happen in 1QB and it would represent a great value, but I'm not even sure how excited I would be about it to be honest. It's hard to find that team that has clear vacancies in their starting WR lineup and will pay up to do something about it. If I can't pull off the trade for 1.1, I'm almost more inclined to just roll the dice on Spears or Achane at RB rather than go Quentin Johnston. I know that Johnston would be the consensus value, but show me the team in my league that's letting me flip him for their 3rd and '24 1st round.

FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
First round safeties in the 2023 NFL Draft: there are none.
First round corners in the 2023 NFL Draft: Emmanuel Forbes, Christian Gonzalez, Devon Witherspoon and Deonte Banks
First Round linebackers in the 2023 NFL Draft: Drew Sanders
First round defensive tackles in the 2023 NFL Draft: Jalen Carter, Calijah Kancey and Bryan Bresee
First round EDGE rushers in the 2023 NFL Draft: Nolan Smith, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Tuli Tuipulotu, Lukas Van Ness, Tyree Wilson and Keion White

First round offensive tackles in the 2023 NFL Draft: Cody Mauch, Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright, Broderick Jones and Matthew Bergeron.
First round wide receivers in the 2023 NFL Draft: A.T. Perry, Josh Downs,Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Zay Flowers
First round tight ends in the 2023 NFL Draft: Michael Mayer, Luke Musgrave and Darnell Washington.
First round centers in the 2023 NFL Draft: there are none
Offensive guards in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft: O’Cyrus Torrence.
First Round running backs in the NFL Draft: there are none.
First Round QBs in the 2023 NFL Draft: C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, Malik Cunningham and Hendon Hooker

FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
First round safeties in the 2023 NFL Draft: there are none.
First round corners in the 2023 NFL Draft: Emmanuel Forbes, Christian Gonzalez, Devon Witherspoon and Deonte Banks
First Round linebackers in the 2023 NFL Draft: Drew Sanders
First round defensive tackles in the 2023 NFL Draft: Jalen Carter, Calijah Kancey and Bryan Bresee
First round EDGE rushers in the 2023 NFL Draft: Nolan Smith, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Tuli Tuipulotu, Lukas Van Ness, Tyree Wilson and Keion White

First round offensive tackles in the 2023 NFL Draft: Cody Mauch, Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright, Broderick Jones and Matthew Bergeron.
First round wide receivers in the 2023 NFL Draft: A.T. Perry, Josh Downs,Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Zay Flowers
First round tight ends in the 2023 NFL Draft: Michael Mayer, Luke Musgrave and Darnell Washington.
First round centers in the 2023 NFL Draft: there are none
Offensive guards in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft: O’Cyrus Torrence.
First Round running backs in the NFL Draft: there are none.
First Round QBs in the 2023 NFL Draft: C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, Malik Cunningham and Hendon Hooker
Does this firstroundmock guy just try to start arguments?

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
This BALL by Jaren Hall 😳

Hall had himself a DAY in front of NFL scouts at BYU’s Pro Day.
FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
Jaren Hall is who everyone thought Zach Wilson was
--------------
Jaren Hall Leaves Former NFL Scout Wanting to See More
aren Hall is special.
He does a phenomenal job playing within himself and he is extremely instinctual.
Hall makes the ideal rookie backup quarterback with his strong developmental upside and he additionally has the intangibles to shine if called upon.
Few players leave me wanting to see more game film, but Hall did...
------------------
Go to the link for the full read.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Stetson Bennett has reportedly been generating “significant” interest from multiple NFL teams since the Combine. Bennett has reportedly had or has scheduled private visits and workouts with 10 teams. ESPN’s Mel Kiper believes Bennett currently comes off the board “between” the fourth and sixth round. The Georgia QB’s stock is on the RISE

Jared Tokarz @JaredNFLDraft
A favorite mid-round WR not many are talking about (A Thread) #PennState WR Parker Washington 5’10 204lbs Not a ton of hype due to injury last 3 games/didn’t participate in drills at the combine. Physical Slot WR who is great after the catch and excels at congested catches for size.

YAC Didn’t run at combine but high 4.4s-4.5 speed.

5’10 at attacking the ball at highest point for the contested rec

Since 2020, Washington has the most yards out of the slot in the Big10 with 1,662 yards. Fun prospect - who is being a little slept on.

Todd McShay @McShay13
Brenton Strange. Get to know that name. The Penn State TE is one of the least talked about and most underrated players in the draft. Combine numbers were pedestrian but his tape is impressive. Despite a loaded TE class, you’ll hear his name called Night 2 of the NFL draft.

Kent Lee Platte @MathBomb
Brenton Strange is a TE prospect in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 8.75 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 128 out of 1020 TE from 1987 to 2023. ras.football/ras-informatio… #RAS

Todd McShay @McShay13
Brenton Strange. Get to know that name. The Penn State TE is one of the least talked about and most underrated players in the draft. Combine numbers were pedestrian but his tape is impressive. Despite a loaded TE class, you’ll hear his name called Night 2 of the NFL draft.

Kent Lee Platte @MathBomb
Brenton Strange is a TE prospect in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 8.75 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 128 out of 1020 TE from 1987 to 2023. ras.football/ras-informatio… #RAS
This TE class is deep and talented. Brenton Strange has been largely mocked as a late day 3 prospect, but if he indeed goes day 2, he becomes a more exciting fantasy prospect.

https://youtu.be/y2FpKczeE48

For anyone that follows Waldman. I previously posted the RB, QB, and TE version of this podcast, so this will finish the set at WR.

Takeaways:

1. JSN safest WR in the class (no big surprise there).
2. Very high of Zay Flowers. Waddle and Bruce comps. Could be the best player of the draft's skill positions players if his hands catch up to the rest of his game.
3. Thinks Addison can be a better version of DeVonta Smith
4. Big fan of Marvin Mims. Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason comps.
5. Don't get the feeling that he's very high on Johnston due to hands concerns, but said he's one of the top 2 WRs in the class if he figures that out
6. Boutee - still on board if the foot injury checks out. Doesn't put too much stock into his combine results / narrative.
7. Downs - not overly high. Jamison Crowder comp.
8. Likes Tillman. Mike Williams comp.
9. High on Jayden Reed. Range of NFL contributor to top level starter.
10. Tyler Scott = trap
11. Likes Mingo.

Not sure if that's Parker Washington on the thumbnail? Had to listen again, because that's usually the guy he's planting a flag on (Spears, Kincaid, Richardson). However, doesn't seem to be too enamored, so not sure what's up there. Would have expected Flowers to be the guy based on the other selections.

Last edited:
Zay Flowers as Simms' WR1 deviates from most rankings, but Flowers deserves to be in the conversation, so that is not all that surprising. Michael Wilson as WR4 and Jordan Addison not even in the top 5 are the more surprising takes, imo.
Agreed. Especially since this article was the first time I've ever heard of Michael Wilson, to my recollection.

Zay Flowers as Simms' WR1 deviates from most rankings, but Flowers deserves to be in the conversation, so that is not all that surprising. Michael Wilson as WR4 and Jordan Addison not even in the top 5 are the more surprising takes, imo.
Simms does weird ranking every year. He likes the clickbait

For example he had Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence. Here is his take on Wilson.

1. Zach Wilson, BYU

Simms: "My baseline for Wilson is Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That's where it starts. It is an unbelievably quick release. It's the ability to throw the ball any which way he wants -- side arm, over the top, jumping in air, two feet off the ground, throwing between a guard and a tackle 25 yards down the middle. The arm strength is phenomenal. He can throw 40-yard lasers into a Cover 2 hole. He can throw 60-, 70-yard-bomb posts down the middle and he doesn't need to get his hole body into it. I was blown away."

Simms does weird ranking every year. He likes the clickbait

For example he had Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence. Here is his take on Wilson.

1. Zach Wilson, BYU

Simms: "My baseline for Wilson is Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That's where it starts. It is an unbelievably quick release. It's the ability to throw the ball any which way he wants -- side arm, over the top, jumping in air, two feet off the ground, throwing between a guard and a tackle 25 yards down the middle. The arm strength is phenomenal. He can throw 40-yard lasers into a Cover 2 hole. He can throw 60-, 70-yard-bomb posts down the middle and he doesn't need to get his hole body into it. I was blown away."
Yeah that'll bring his average down. I feel like he has been with his qb rankings mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread