What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY - Hoarding Players Now vs Adding Youth (1 Viewer)

Andrew74

Footballguy
I am torn on balancing these out. In the trade thread there was a discussion on A Johnson vs 1.04. I can see where AJ > 1.04, but what I'd you are stacked already in a position? Do you do the trade and buy AJ even if he may never see the starting lineup? Or do you draft a WR (Patterson or Austin) and hope they develop into a solid starting WR in a few years when AJ is done?

seems like a team by team decision. I am in the studs win games camp so hoarding a stud may give you depth to replace another stud that might get hurt in the next few Years . Or you may be passing on a stud for years to come. Depends on if you can win now or are rebuilding so yo speak.

It's all about balance and the state of my current team. I don't want someone like Ray Rice if I can't win now. By the time I'm ready to compete he may be done, or close to done.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you have a strong team now is it better to have an AJ that may or may not start for you or to use the picks for the next big thing. He's a wasting asset from a trade perspective, so you couldn't use to buy the next stud.

I can't imagine WRs so strong that Andre Johnson would not start, but definitely look at other positions or adding young depth if that is indeed the case.

But if you have a strong team now is it better to have an AJ that may or may not start for you or to use the picks for the next big thing. He's a wasting asset from a trade perspective, so you couldn't use to buy the next stud.
You'd have to be pretty stacked for Andre Johnson to not be able to crack the starting lineup, but if you really were that stacked, I could easily see preferring "less" value in the form of assets that better fit your team. I think Drew Brees is awesome, but if I already had Rodgers, I'd be looking to move him (even at slightly below market) to improve my team. I saw a team in one of my leagues that had Gronk, Graham, Gates, and Hernandez at TE in 2011, but he lost the championship because his WRs were terrible and he refused to sell a TE for one cent less than what he thought that TE's market value was. On the one hand, selling players for less than they are worth can quickly let a lot of the value drip out of your roster, drip by drip. On the other hand, all players score 0 points from your bench, and older players are already dripping value, anyway. If 1.04 is the best that you can get, and your other WRs are Harvin/Calvin/Green in a start 2 WR league, then trading Andre is the best move for your team.

I am not going to address Andre J and the picks, because I do not know enough about your league. But typically I lean towards the proven talent over draft picks regardless of age unless I know I have a shot at rookie who I know will produce from day one, ie Julio Jones, Trich etc. Draft pics can overrated in some cases.

You'd have to be pretty stacked for Andre Johnson to not be able to crack the starting lineup, but if you really were that stacked, I could easily see preferring "less" value in the form of assets that better fit your team. I think Drew Brees is awesome, but if I already had Rodgers, I'd be looking to move him (even at slightly below market) to improve my team. I saw a team in one of my leagues that had Gronk, Graham, Gates, and Hernandez at TE in 2011, but he lost the championship because his WRs were terrible and he refused to sell a TE for one cent less than what he thought that TE's market value was. On the one hand, selling players for less than they are worth can quickly let a lot of the value drip out of your roster, drip by drip. On the other hand, all players score 0 points from your bench, and older players are already dripping value, anyway. If 1.04 is the best that you can get, and your other WRs are Harvin/Calvin/Green in a start 2 WR league, then trading Andre is the best move for your team.
In my case it is trading for AJ to pair with green and Julio, and putting Cobb on the bench. Do I "need" AJ? No. But if I can get him for 1.04 and parts, is that better than hoping to get Patterson or Austin and they be a WR1 in a few years? I guess it comes down to probabilities with the rookies. As another example, when Gronk's surgery news came out, I wondered if I should try to snag him (I have 1.01 as well) even though I own Graham and it's a start 1 TE with no flex. I could draft Lacy to sit behind Martin/Charles/Morris but am I better off having a stud sit on the bench or draft Lacy in hopes he can be a RB1.

Even if it was Reggie Wayne I thought would be sitting on my bench all year, I wouldn't trade him away for significantly less than his value because here's what happens in reality:

-You trade him away for a draft pick=Total game of Russian Roulette on whether you got anything out of the deal.

-You trade him away and, due to injury and attrition, you find yourself in Week 12 wishing like crazy you still had him while the piece you got isn't ready to help your "win now" team.

-You trade him away for less value today because you can and you notice 6 months from now that someone else flips him to a contender (a guy you are competing against for the title) for a lot more. In general, if anyone is going to give away a late season gun for hire, its going to be me, not the guy I gave him away to.

-You HOLD him and he is simply Reggie Wayne for one more year and then you get nothing. THis is the WORST case scenario when you are discussing flipping players but in reality is often the BEST case scenario if you are trying to win a league. In short, don't appraoch FF like you are playing the stock market and are trying to build build build and retire a rich old geezer. Approach it like you are in real estate and buy to increase the investment and cash in to win the titles (chop it up into shorter windows so that you actually get a result every once in a while, like a title).

I have a perfect example similar to what SSOG is talking about.

I have a stacked roster in one of my 16 tm dynasty leagues.

My QB's are Brady, Luck and Russell Wilson. I also have Pitta, VD, and Rudolph at TE. My WRs are Megatron, Marshall, Cruz, Julio Jones, Lance Moore, etc.

I am trying to move Brady (due to age..."dripping value"), VD (I liked him better with Smith throwing), and some of my depth at WR that I didn't mention.

Brady, VD, Ryan Mathews, some of my WR depth and other players are what I'm offering up to the owner that has the 1.01. Basically, I would be getting back bench fodder (salary cap league) and the 1.01 in exchange for the package of players I listed. I would basically be rebuilding his roster for him since he is hurting across the board.

Like SSOG said, I am willing to take less in market value to move them off my roster since they won't be starting for me, then I can take my chances with the 1.01 and I currently hold the 1.03 as well (youth movement).

When I look at it, it seems like I am giving up a lot of good players for what basically equates to the 1.01...in a weak draft class.

I have a perfect example similar to what SSOG is talking about.

I have a stacked roster in one of my 16 tm dynasty leagues.

My QB's are Brady, Luck and Russell Wilson. I also have Pitta, VD, and Rudolph at TE. My WRs are Megatron, Marshall, Cruz, Julio Jones, Lance Moore, etc.

I am trying to move Brady (due to age..."dripping value"), VD (I liked him better with Smith throwing), and some of my depth at WR that I didn't mention.

Brady, VD, Ryan Mathews, some of my WR depth and other players are what I'm offering up to the owner that has the 1.01. Basically, I would be getting back bench fodder (salary cap league) and the 1.01 in exchange for the package of players I listed. I would basically be rebuilding his roster for him since he is hurting across the board.

Like SSOG said, I am willing to take less in market value to move them off my roster since they won't be starting for me, then I can take my chances with the 1.01 and I currently hold the 1.03 as well (youth movement).

When I look at it, it seems like I am giving up a lot of good players for what basically equates to the 1.01...in a weak draft class.
Yikes, that is definitely a lot for the #1 in a weak draft class. Is that the best you can get for all those players? In a class like this, I'd be much, much happier selling all those pieces off individually for mid-1sts, instead (i.e. trading Mathews, Brady, and Davis in separate deals for, say, the 1.04, 1.07, and 1.09). Obviously the salary cap enters into the equation, too.

Users who are viewing this thread