What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY Kickers! (1 Viewer)

Northbound Train

Footballguy
Very little info anywhere these days on Kicker's.

There's quite a few young kicker's available in our 16 team dynasty and truth be told, I don't know much about any of these kids/rooks!!

Of these guys listed here who do you think has the best long term potential?

• Andrew Franks
  • Zach Hocker
  • Cairo Santos
  • Kyle Brindza
  • Dustin Hopkins
  • Travis Coons
  • Jason Myers

Think of it this way OP... Kickers are like the Donna Jean Godchaux of fantasy football. For some reason they are required to be in the lineup, but add nothing but variance and noise to the product.

No such thing as a dynasty kicker, for a simple reason: unlike other skill positions that can create their own success, a kicker is 100% dependent on others for every opportunity to perform.

Yes, some can make more of these opportunities than others, but the opportunities are sufficiently circumstance and matchup driven that there is no reasonable expectation that the top kickers will outplay the lesser ones in any specific week.

For long-term evaluation, you also have to deal with the fact that kickers' best opportunities exist in a delicate middle between an elite Td-scoring offense and a weak, can't sustain drives offense, and it becomes pretty much impossible to project next year's kicking successes.

Even in dynasty, better to play weekly matchups with kicker than ride one without reservation.

I love the Donna reference but I disagree here a bit...having Vinatieri or Gotskowski for 6+ years or whatever great run the pair has had is a lot better than having Randy Bullock as your K for the last couple years,,,trying to find that next gem!!

In two large roster dynasty leagues. If I have top kicker I hold on to him if not I play the matchups until I find one I like on waivers who is past his bye. I never think about dynasty value when picking up kickers and never draft one or trade for one unless its a kicker for kicker trade. But if you are looking for the next gem then I would look for a good kicker on a team who you think will have a good offence for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Donna reference but I disagree here a bit...having Vinatieri or Gotskowski for 6+ years or whatever great run the pair has had is a lot better than having Randy Bullock as your K for the last couple years,,,trying to find that next gem!!
It doesn't work that way for kickers.

Vinatieri and Gostkowski have been great fantasy kickers because they have been on great offenses, not because they are great kickers.

15 other kickers in the league could have put up the same numbers, if they had the same opportunities.

...and like I said, "Whichever one plays on the best offense."

Think of it this way OP... Kickers are like the Donna Jean Godchaux of fantasy football. For some reason they are required to be in the lineup, but add nothing but variance and noise to the product.
Possibly the worst post I've ever seen on these boards. Donna Jean is the Jan Stenarud of background singers.

In any league smaller than 32 teams, kickers are usually able to be found on the waiver wire.

Josh Brown, Santos, Brindza, Hocker, Z-leg, Gould and McManus were all waiver picks this year in my 16 team league. That's the top 3 kickers and 6 of the top 13. Franks, Hopkins, Myers and Lambo and Gano are still available (five of the top 20). Kickers can be had easily and aren't worth worrying about long term.

MY league Pk has nice value. We start 11 guys on O and must start 1 and can start 2 in a 16 team league. They come out as the 5th and 8th best players.

So I will rank the players

1. Brindiza. I think the Bucs have some good pieces in place and if your league rewards length of FG's, that he has a great leg

2. Santos. He is probably the safest pick here. KC has a good betwweem the 20's

3. Framks. I like what I have seen. Some good young players on this team for the future also. Good weather

4. Myers. Been okay so far but Jags are in the right direction. He has a long leash as I dont think Jags are thinking playoffs

5. Hopkins. Issue is he has bounced around some since coming into NFL. Finally gets a job but for how long. Seems talented but how did he not get Saints job. Wash is not great htough

6. Coons. Got job after losing last year in Tennessee with Succop coming in at last moment. Still Cleveland is worst place to kick(Pitt maybe)

7. Hocker. The guy could not beat out Forbath in Washington and last week was terrible. New Orleans is great place to kick but the coach has changed PK like underwear in this time tthere. Can never know when next change is coming is the issue

Doesn't have to be that way. Several years ago we dropped the PK position and added a 2nd FLEX.

How has no one said McManus? He has not missed a long fg yet this season. Of you get extra points for long ones he is your guy. This year at least. But if Peyton retires who knows next year.

I tried this off-season to get kickers removed from our dynasty league. No such luck. Why are some people hellbent on keeping them around? Our league had something like a whopping 24 point difference between the #1 and #15 kicker last year. So, about 2 points a week on average?

Users who are viewing this thread