What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Proactive Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

socrates

Footballguy
We have weekly Waiver Wire discussions, but most of the players listed are merely in reaction to the week before: "Who performed last week?" As fantasy managers, we need to react to changes, but those weekly adds are the low-hanging fruit, and the vast majority of those players are already rostered in almost every dynasty league.

This thread is for perhaps less obvious waiver wire investments, especially with an emphasis on dynasty value. As with any waiver wire discussion, there are going to be many players identified who are not available in many leagues, so it may be necessary to sift through to find a hidden treasure.

At QB, I am looking for either (1) quality backups in high-octane offenses who could produce enough fantasy value down the stretch to be startable, or (2) developmental QBs who may have been dropped by an impatient fantasy manager. If you play in a superflex league, you are probably looking for any QB with a pulse who could get on the field.

In the first category, Chad Henne, Teddy Bridgewater, Gardner Minshew, Case Keenum and Nick Mullens all potentially fit the criteria, and, perhaps to a lesser degree, Tyler Huntley, Chase Daniels and Blaine Gabbert.

In the second category, think Jordan Love :bag: , Bailey Zappe, Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder, Matt Corral and Skylay Thompson. Most of these developmental talents are securely rostered in dynasty leagues, but watch your Waiver Wire report for potential drops.

At RB, injuries can quickly change the landscape, so the first category will again be quality backups, but the reality is, those players are almost universally rostered in 100% of all but short-roster leagues, dynasty or otherwise. You have to dig pretty deep to find RBs on most waiver wires. Perhaps Trestan Ebner is available in your league, and with Khalil Herbert going on IR, Ebner becomes a solid add. If Keontay Ingram was released by an impatient manager, he suddenly ascends the depth chart with Arizona's surprising release of Eno Benjamin.

Developmental talents are also scarce at RB; however, you may find players like Snoop Conner, Chris Evans, Jerome Ford, Ty Chandler, Pierre Strong or Kylin Hill available, if you have room to stash a player. Again, watch your waiver wire report for potential drops.

At WR, depth players emerge every season, and things evolve quickly, so maintain and monitor a watch list, and try to be a week early rather than a week late. It depends on your current roster, of course, but in dynasty, I prefer to target high-ceiling potential where I can. Danny Gray is merely depth for the Niners, and he has yet to record an NFL reception, but he is perched high on my watch list. You can't teach that type of speed. The same with Dyami Brown in Washington, and even Marquez Stevenson in Buffalo. D'wayne Eskridge was drafted as a developmental player, and he has shown only glimpses of potential, but he has talent. Kyle Philips is on IR, but he has the potential to be a high-reception receiver for Tennessee. Speaking of IR wideouts, look to see if Calvin Austin is on your wire. Khalil Shakir has been quiet for Buffalo, but he has long-term potential. Finally, take a look at John Metchie: is he on a roster? He could return in 2023 as a starter for the Texans.

Injuries pile up quickly at the TE position. Trey McBride is likely on a roster, but if not, you may want to add him, with Ertz out. Chigoziem Okonkwo has flashed some big-time potential for Tennessee. Likewise with Grant Calcaterra in Philadelphia, and with Goedert slated to miss extended time, there is a window of opportunity. Jelani Woods has high-end potential in Indianapolis for a patient manager. That said, it often takes a TE several seasons to gain a good footing for what is a notoriously difficult position to master. Noah Gray has some stand-alone value in KC's high-powered offense, and if Kelce were to miss time, Gray becomes a must add.

I’m looking to get Ridder. Has the rushing ability and opportunity of throwing to Pitts/London for many years if he’s given the job for next year. Feel he can unlock a lot more potential in the offense than Mariota.

i had to drop strong.rb.ne for roster reasons. he has a long lineup in front of him and even if he does emerge, it the ne rb situation all over again.

i had to drop strong.rb.ne for roster reasons. he has a long lineup in front of him and even if he does emerge, it the ne rb situation all over again.
I did the same. I like the raw talent, but the situation is far from ideal. I had hoped Strong might emerge in a receiving role and flash his potential for more.

I did the same. I like the raw talent, but the situation is far from ideal. I had hoped Strong might emerge in a receiving role and flash his potential for more.

It is kind of a catch-22 with Strong...on one hand the Pats are no strangers to redshirting a RB but on the other pretty much all the info I read/heard about him has been very underwhelming...Harris will most likely walk as a FA after this season so you will know how they really feel about Strong once FA and the draft take place and you see what they do there because outside of Stevenson (and Harris) they don't have much...I would definitely hold onto him until then but keep expectations realistic.

As someone overseeing a dynasty rebuild, I love this stuff! Really had to dig deep to find value. I was in on Kyren Williams long before Schefter mentioned him, and then he became a hot waiver wire add. The Rams offense looks dire but Kyren has a nice skill set to return much more than the investment to roster him. Should be gone in all dynasty leagues at this point.

Ty Chandler is someone I still like for 2023. The Vikings may still sign a veteran backup to replace Mattison but it's worth stashing Chandler if you've got a deep bench and space to work with. I think he's a good fit for the type of offense O'Connell runs.

Call me crazy but I still like Trey Sermon if he's available. He is technically 4th on the Eagles depth chart and will be inactive whenever the three ahead of him are active. But he seems like the direct backup to Miles Sanders in terms of being the power back. If anything were to happen to Sanders I could see Sermon's role expanding, and he has some familiarity playing with Jalen Hurts from their Oklahoma days.

I'm not high on either of the Pats rookie RB's. They haven't shown enough and neither has the draft capital for Belichick to commit to them. Would need a lot of planets to align for Pierre Strong or Kevin Harris to have value next season IMO.

I liked Sam Howell coming out of UNC and kind of wanted to see what he could do with the receivers the Commanders have. But Heinicke looks like he's back in the picture for the rest of this season. If he gets hurt and the Commanders are out of wildcard contention maybe we see Howell.

Jelani Woods is very intriguing but would require patience. Still a raw prospect and TE's take time to develop, and he's in an offense that rotates their TE's. Daniel Bellinger another guy I like once he's back from the eye socket injury. Athletic guy with little competition for targets. Among the Philly TE's I'm more intrigued with Tyree Jackson, a guy who's a QB convert. But as with all TE prospect patience is the key. Goedert was a much better prospect and he had to wait 4 years for Ertz to leave, and I don't see Goedert leaving any time soon. I'm still sad Albert Okwuegbunam didn't pan out, he hit on a lot of the metrics I like for a TE and was an excellent college prospect. I'd be curious of him if he found an opportunity with a different team next year.

As someone overseeing a dynasty rebuild, I love this stuff! Really had to dig deep to find value. I was in on Kyren Williams long before Schefter mentioned him, and then he became a hot waiver wire add. The Rams offense looks dire but Kyren has a nice skill set to return much more than the investment to roster him. Should be gone in all dynasty leagues at this point.

Ty Chandler is someone I still like for 2023. The Vikings may still sign a veteran backup to replace Mattison but it's worth stashing Chandler if you've got a deep bench and space to work with. I think he's a good fit for the type of offense O'Connell runs.

Call me crazy but I still like Trey Sermon if he's available. He is technically 4th on the Eagles depth chart and will be inactive whenever the three ahead of him are active. But he seems like the direct backup to Miles Sanders in terms of being the power back. If anything were to happen to Sanders I could see Sermon's role expanding, and he has some familiarity playing with Jalen Hurts from their Oklahoma days.

I'm not high on either of the Pats rookie RB's. They haven't shown enough and neither has the draft capital for Belichick to commit to them. Would need a lot of planets to align for Pierre Strong or Kevin Harris to have value next season IMO.

I liked Sam Howell coming out of UNC and kind of wanted to see what he could do with the receivers the Commanders have. But Heinicke looks like he's back in the picture for the rest of this season. If he gets hurt and the Commanders are out of wildcard contention maybe we see Howell.

Jelani Woods is very intriguing but would require patience. Still a raw prospect and TE's take time to develop, and he's in an offense that rotates their TE's. Daniel Bellinger another guy I like once he's back from the eye socket injury. Athletic guy with little competition for targets. Among the Philly TE's I'm more intrigued with Tyree Jackson, a guy who's a QB convert. But as with all TE prospect patience is the key. Goedert was a much better prospect and he had to wait 4 years for Ertz to leave, and I don't see Goedert leaving any time soon. I'm still sad Albert Okwuegbunam didn't pan out, he hit on a lot of the metrics I like for a TE and was an excellent college prospect. I'd be curious of him if he found an opportunity with a different team next year.

Don't agree with the draft capital part about Strong...Harris was a #3, Stevenson was a #4, White was a #4 and while Stevenson played as a rookie both Harris and White had redshirt years...outside of Michel who was a #1 (who BB did give up on), Strong as a #4 is right in BB's draft wheelhouse for that position...now, I am not saying BB is sold on him but if he isn't it won't be due to draft capital.

Last edited:
Echoing the Chigoziem Okonkwo sentiment from the OP. He’s got some legit receiving skills. Heck of a catch last night and seemed to play a lot of snaps. I’m rostering him where I can.

Don't agree with the draft capital part about Strong...Harris was a #3, Stevenson was a #4, White was a #4 and while Stevenson played as a rookie both Harris and White had redshirt years...outside of Michel who was a #1 (who BB did give up on), Strong as a #4 is right in BB's draft wheelhouse for that position...now, I am not saying BB is sold on him but if he isn't it won't be due to draft capital.

BB definitely prefers redshirting his rookie RB's as we saw with Vereen and White, and it's fair to question how much we would've seen Michel his rookie season if Jeremy Hill didn't have a season-ender in Week 1 that year. I seem to remember Burkhead, Hill, and White starting off as the RBBC. Even Stevenson last year was looking at a potential redshirt year behind Damien Harris, James White, and Brandon Bolden (especially when he coughed up the football against Miami in Week 1) until White was lost for the year. Thing with Strong is opportunity has presented itself with White's retirement and Montgomery out for the season and he still hasn't been involved. 7 games played, 1 touch on offense.

I don't think BB is going to cut the guy, he'll have a chance to prove himself next training camp as well. I'm just expecting with a deep FA and rookie RB class coming up, it's only going to get harder for Strong to establish himself. But I also believe talent wins out in a lot of these cases, and if you believe in the talent, there's no harm in a taxi squad stash. I'm not a believer but I've been wrong plenty and would love to be wrong here.

BB definitely prefers redshirting his rookie RB's as we saw with Vereen and White, and it's fair to question how much we would've seen Michel his rookie season if Jeremy Hill didn't have a season-ender in Week 1 that year. I seem to remember Burkhead, Hill, and White starting off as the RBBC. Even Stevenson last year was looking at a potential redshirt year behind Damien Harris, James White, and Brandon Bolden (especially when he coughed up the football against Miami in Week 1) until White was lost for the year. Thing with Strong is opportunity has presented itself with White's retirement and Montgomery out for the season and he still hasn't been involved. 7 games played, 1 touch on offense.

I don't think BB is going to cut the guy, he'll have a chance to prove himself next training camp as well. I'm just expecting with a deep FA and rookie RB class coming up, it's only going to get harder for Strong to establish himself. But I also believe talent wins out in a lot of these cases, and if you believe in the talent, there's no harm in a taxi squad stash. I'm not a believer but I've been wrong plenty and would love to be wrong here.

I agree with all of this...reports out of camp was he looked subpar and was not ready to play at the NFL level this season (the fact they are playing JJ Taylor over him speaks volumes)...that being said unless he is a total disaster and this is in fact a redshirt year the kid will have a chance to carve out a role in 2024...assuming Harris leaves they really only have one RB worthy of a roster spot in Stevenson so the opportunity is there...the Pats have plenty of other holes to address but they do have a ton of cap space to play with...the kid is worthy of a Dynasty roster spot and as I said before, what the Pats do in the draft and FA will send a loud and clear message of what they think of him.

Last edited:

I absolutely agree on Kyren Williams and Ty Chandler. You make a great point about Sermon being a potential Sanders' power back replacement, but he has been a major disappointment so far. I suspect we might see more of a RBBC if Sanders missed time, but any opportunity to see the field would be a positive development for Sermon at this point.
Jelani Woods has an intriguing skillset, but fellow Indy TE Kylen Granson is also intriguing, and both are presently behind Moe Alie-Cox, vying for passes from Sam Ehlinger. Hopefully, with the firing of Reich, we have seen an end of the "old QBs never die, they just go to Indy to finish their career" era, and Indy brings in some fresh talent in the 2023 draft.

Jalen Virgil has one target on the year so far but he made it count. 66-yarder for the TD. Could be the guy the Broncos were hoping K.J. Hamler would be, if only Hamler could avoid the trainer's table, but I understand that's a massive conclusion to reach based on the smallest of sample sizes. I remember seeing some preseason hype on Montrell Washington but seems to be strictly a returner this year.

Remember Tylan Wallace? I liked him a lot out of Oklahoma State. WR2 for the Ravens in 2022 is up for grabs. Wallace might just be a JAG though. Honestly just throwing names out there, I admit I'm not as intrigued by the deep sleepers at WR as I am at the other positions.

I absolutely agree on Kyren Williams and Ty Chandler. You make a great point about Sermon being a potential Sanders' power back replacement, but he has been a major disappointment so far. I suspect we might see more of a RBBC if Sanders missed time, but any opportunity to see the field would be a positive development for Sermon at this point.
Jelani Woods has an intriguing skillset, but fellow Indy TE Kylen Granson is also intriguing, and both are presently behind Moe Alie-Cox, vying for passes from Sam Ehlinger. Hopefully, with the firing of Reich, we have seen an end of the "old QBs never die, they just go to Indy to finish their career" era, and Indy brings in some fresh talent in the 2023 draft.
I like Woods most long term out of that TE room. Granson is still shorter than I'd want from a TE (6'2") and there's not a long history of TE's that height that end up being big fantasy factors. Mo Alie-Cox is a former binky of mine, basketball background and all. But the breakout never happened and likely never will. Going to be a while before I'd be comfortable starting any of that group even as a bye week filler. Plenty of upside in that offense with the right QB. Will be interesting if they bring back Campbell to the WR room next offseason with Pittman and Pierce.

Probably not free anymore but the one-rec game in a bit of a passing quagmire last week may be the last/best chance to buy low on terrace Marshall. Their qbs have kept his value depressed but he’s 22 with 2nd round draft capital and has seemingly seized the wr2 job on a team that will likely have a shiny new QB next year.

Like the bellinger call a lot as well (also not free but attainable as a throw-in based on being out for the eye if a contender is holding and needs something you’ve got)

What is the 2023 value of Phl RB Trey Sermon with Sanders FA (UFA?) Gainwell & Scott are there but from a physical talent (based on college ranks & draft reports) Sermon could be RB1 in Philly
He is worth a stash for potential

What is the 2023 value of Phl RB Trey Sermon with Sanders FA (UFA?) Gainwell & Scott are there but from a physical talent (based on college ranks & draft reports) Sermon could be RB1 in Philly
Sermon has, imo, less value than an undrafted fa from next year's draft.
Think about it this way - what running back have you ever heard of that was picked on day two and was then cut by the team that drafted him a year into his contract without any disciplinary issues went on to have a career period? Is he a speculation add for people in extremely deep leagues that play week 17 games on the off chance that the eagles rest everyone? Sure. But his career is closer to future xfl player than rb1.

Think about it this way - what running back have you ever heard of that was picked on day two and was then cut by the team that drafted him a year into his contract without any disciplinary issues went on to have a career period? Is he a speculation add for people in extremely deep leagues that play week 17 games on the off chance that the eagles rest everyone? Sure. But his career is closer to future xfl player than rb1.
Much appreciated the insight and your comments have merit. I also ask myself why did Philly initiate trade talks? And why did they not consummate a deal only for SF to waive him?
I am in 12 Team 1 QB 25 man roster with 2 IR (no dev) and in full rebuild. I have the roster space to burn. I cut Car QB Darnold for the spot
What will Philly do next year @RB since Miles Sanders will walk?

It’s also worth noting that Scott is a free agent next year as well as Sanders. Eagles will have just Gainwell and Sermon under contract this offseason. I can see them drafting Sanders’ replacement. Sermon is a long shot, he’d need a Sanders injury this season to get enough reps to make his case for RB1 on the team.

Much appreciated the insight and your comments have merit. I also ask myself why did Philly initiate trade talks? And why did they not consummate a deal only for SF to waive him?
I am in 12 Team 1 QB 25 man roster with 2 IR (no dev) and in full rebuild. I have the roster space to burn. I cut Car QB Darnold for the spot
What will Philly do next year @RB since Miles Sanders will walk?

It’s also worth noting that Scott is a free agent next year as well as Sanders. Eagles will have just Gainwell and Sermon under contract this offseason. I can see them drafting Sanders’ replacement. Sermon is a long shot, he’d need a Sanders injury this season to get enough reps to make his case for RB1 on the team.
The eagles have a /lot/ of draft capital to spend and Roseman loves to stock up on more ammo. It's possible that they fall in love with one of the top rbs or take multiple late round stabs at the position.
They could decide to run it back with Sanders but I've personally never been a fan, and would love to see a true stud rb compliment that already potent offense.

Nudging this for end of season proactive pickups. even if you’re in the playoffs, you likely have couple of veteran depth players that can jettisoned for some young players with upside.

I just play in FFPC-style leagues where you just keep 14 skill players, so ymmv, but a player I picked up last week in both of those leagues was Jalen Tolbert WR DAL. Reasonably highly ranked rookie WR who was dropped earlier this year.

Khalil Shakir WR BUF is another rookie WR than many became impatient with so I grabbed him over the past couple of weeks as well.

Whatdayougot?

two guys I picked up in the last 2 weeks for next year flyers are Chiggy Okonkwo and Rashid Shaheed. I also added Foster Moreau as a what the heck flyer. He‘s an UFA going into 2023 (TE premium league).

SuperFlex …

Skylar Thompson - Bridgewater FA end of this season so he could be Tua’s backup

At this point in season I’m shedding pointless WRs and collecting any RB with a pulse for when rosters lock in off season.

At this point in the season, there isn't much that most dynasty players don't know and aren't "throwing darts" at. From my big rebuild I have almost everyone listed here (so, they may all be dumped after the NFL draft or next season) but stranger things have happened - Corral, Skylar, Ty Chandler, Ebner, Ingram, Justyn Ross, and Ferguson. Three I don't think I've seen are Calvin Austin, Kyle Phillips and Isaiah Weston. There could be many moving parts on their respective teams. Austin intrigues me most(though more likely to be rostered depending on roster sizes and IR spots), Phillips may have stayed rostered all year too but could fill Woods role next year (whatever that is; though the QB position could be a hindrance), and Weston was a pre-draft favorite this last year.

Last edited:
I got knocked out of the playoffs last week so dropped my only PK(Gould) to grab the Lions D. They've been playing well the last 4-5 weeks and could add 2 first round picks and some free agents before next season.

two guys I picked up in the last 2 weeks for next year flyers are Chiggy Okonkwo and Rashid Shaheed. I also added Foster Moreau as a what the heck flyer. He‘s an UFA going into 2023 (TE premium league).
Picked both these guys up in multiple leagues, their late season production is definitely intriguing.

I got knocked out of the playoffs last week so dropped my only PK(Gould) to grab the Lions D. They've been playing well the last 4-5 weeks and could add 2 first round picks and some free agents before next season.
Ooh. i like this one. FFPC mandates you have to keep a K and D, so would love to hear more from folks if they have any Ds that are middling now but be on the upturn next year.

Andrew Ogletree TE Colts - great pre season was being touted, did his knee. High RAS score and good 40 time

Brock Wright TE Lions - also high RAS score. Got height, only 2nd year in league worth a stash as seems to have got more play than Mitchell

Lucas Krull
Charlie Kholar

Were some other TE’s ones that came up in a podcast. I don’t ever seem to spend on or have 1 of the top tier TEs so usually grab a few and see if any shake out. Bellinger and Okonkwo were 2 I got this year that might develop further

Users who are viewing this thread