What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Charles Sims, Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

Would like to see him get some playing time this year. Lots of it. No idea how close to 100% he can be or when he will be after breaking that ankle. Used my first rookie pick on him in May.

RB Charles Sims should return soon

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers havent been getting great production from their running backs, but they could get a boost soon.

Rookie Charles Sims is eligible to return after the Nov. 2 game with Cleveland. Sims has been out all season with an ankle injury that was suffered in the preseason. He was placed on the injured reserve list, but designated to return.

Sims was eligible to begin practicing this week, but he didnt. When asked if he might return to practice next week, Sims said he hoped so but that decision would be up to the coaching staff and trainers.

Whenever Sims returns, I think well see a healthy dose of him. The Bucs used a third-round pick on him even though they didnt appear to have a big need at running back. After drafting Sims, the Bucs seemed infatuated with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. They also liked his ability as a runner.

Starter Doug Martin hasnt put up big numbers. Backup Bobby Rainey had a 100-yard game, but has been quiet the rest of the time. Martin rushed for over 1,400 yards as a rookie in 2012, but he doesn't have deep ties to this coaching staff and front office.

The Bucs obviously had big plans for Sims when they drafted him. When he returns, I think hell take on a big role in the backfield.
Bump to bring this to the second page for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to trade Martinto open up room for a flyer on Sims. I feel like we have seen what Martin can do this year and it isn't much. The schedule gets better, but the run blocking seems pitiful. I'm not sure Sims could do much better, but the unknown might be better than the known at this point.

I don't think that the Bucs will trade Martin; however, with the struggles that they have had with their rushing, I don't think it will take much for Sims to carve out a role.

Sims has intriguing pass catching capabilities that the Bucs want to utilize once he is fully healthy, which will be sooner than what was originally expected.

The state of the offensive line is still a concern; however, I am interested in seeing what Sims can do.

Bucs rookie RB Charles Sims returns to practice

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will have an extra running back at Wednesday’s practice.

Rookie Charles Sims will practice for the first time since the preseason. Sims has been on injured reserve with the designation to return due to an ankle injury. Sims isn’t eligible to play until the Nov. 2 game against Cleveland.

Sims’ return brings some intrigue to the backfield. Doug Martin has been averaging only 2.9 yards per carry. It’s important to keep in mind that Martin was inherited by the current coaching staff.

That same staff and the front office saw some reason to use a third-round pick on Sims when there appeared to be bigger needs at other positions. It’s likely the Bucs will try to work Sims into the rotation gradually.

But Sims could end up playing a lot more as the season goes on.

I think they will ease him back into the lineup for the first game or two; however, if Sims can flash some of his versatility and Martin continues to struggle, his role could expand quickly.

I think they will ease him back into the lineup for the first game or two; however, if Sims can flash some of his versatility and Martin continues to struggle, his role could expand quickly.
agreed. Neither Rainey or Martin have done anything of note and they drafted Sims and he's likely their future. Martin has to be the worst starting RB in the league at this point. They'll give Sims some shots but if he runs like Mason did in his debut the job will be his in short order.

To be safe if you have the room and looking for some possible upside down the stretch I'd throw Sims on your roster and see what happens. You don't want to wait until he's active and then have to bid for him / hope your atop the waiver wire. Snag him now for nothing.

where do you see Sims' value in comparison to other RB's for the rest of the year though?

>< J. Hill, Crowell, Hyde, Pierce....

I really like the kid's upside, but in 12-team / smaller bench leagues is he more of a "wait & see" or a speculative add to catch lightning in a bottle before you have to blow your FAAB load on him?

Just jumped...Couldn't wait any longer. Did not want to miss this potential.

Dropped J Stewart.

where do you see Sims' value in comparison to other RB's for the rest of the year though? >< J. Hill, Crowell, Hyde, Pierce.... I really like the kid's upside, but in 12-team / smaller bench leagues is he more of a "wait & see" or a speculative add to catch lightning in a bottle before you have to blow your FAAB load on him?
definitely a speculative add. All those guys are basically 2nd fiddle in their roles and have to have an injury to get an elevated role. I think the situation in TB is muddier and has the potential for a starter change without an injury...what are the chances that he steps in and takes over? 25%?

georg013 said:
Which rookie running backs have flashed anything significant this season?
nothing significant yet but McKinnon seems to be coming on and Mason is getting a shot now...certainly not a banner year for rook rb's...rook wr's, that's another thing....

Silva's Week 8 Matchups

Excerpt:

Here's how NFL Films' Greg Cosell broke down Doug Martin leading up to Week 6, before Martin managed 47 scoreless yards on 12 touches against the Ravens: "I don't think Doug Martin at this very moment is a very good runner. I think he's stiff. I don't think he has the same lateral agility and explosion that he had his first year in the league. I don't think he gets more yards than what are there. To me, that's a problem with a running back." The Bucs' backfield distribution will be interesting to see coming off a Week 7 open date. Martin has been downright awful both as a rusher (2.90 YPC) and pass protector, and the Tampa coaching staff has shown no sense of commitment to fumble-prone Bobby Rainey. Even in a plus matchup with Minnesota's 19th-ranked run defense, the Bucs' backfield should be avoided in fantasy lineup decisions. ... Rookie Charles Sims has resumed practicing after fracturing his ankle in mid-August. Eligible to return from the I.R./recall list in Week 9, Sims is worth stashing in 12- and 14-team leagues. The Bucs' new regime has a third-round pick invested in Sims, while Martin and Rainey were both holdovers from ex-GM Mark Dominik's tenure. If the 1-5 Buccaneers "go young" down the stretch, Sims could end up seeing a lot of work. I watched Sims' tape coming out of West Virginia and he reminded me a bit of Matt Forte. He's not quite as dynamic as Forte, but is a fluid runner with three-down tools.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Dan Graziano suggested on NFL Insiders Friday that rookie Charles Sims could play a big role down the stretch.

Eligible to return from I.R./recall in Week 9, Sims has resumed practicing after fracturing his ankle in August. "He may get a shot to get some serious carries in the second half (of the season)," were Graziano's words. Sims is worth stashing in 12- and 14-team leagues. Doug Martin has been ineffective for a sustained stretch, while Bobby Rainey has been prone to fumbles.

Oct 24 - 4:25 PM

Charles Sims Is Practicing, It's Time to Get Excited:

http://thepewterplank.com/2014/10/24/charles-sims-back-at-practice/

On Wednesday, Charles Sims returned to practice for the first time since undergoing ankle surgery in the preseason. It’s like Christmas in October. So far this season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ running game has been lacking with Doug Martin averaging 2.9 yards per carry as the lead back. Meanwhile, Bobby Rainey has shown us something when given the opportunity, but the Bucs clearly don’t believe that he can hold down the position full-time. Enter Sims.

Let’s be honest, the Bucs’ backfield can’t look any more bleak than it does right now. The Buccaneers knew what they were doing when they selected him in the third round, even though the roster was already loaded with running backs. After all, this is the same player who has drawn comparisons to the great Matt Forte. Also, if you look at enough articles where scouts discuss Sims’ potential, you will believe the hype, too.

Throughout his collegiate career, Sims hauled in 203 passes. Clearly, the guy is more than just a skilled runner, who has the size (6’0″, 214 pounds) to shed tacklers and speed (4.48 in 40-yard dash) to outrun defenders. With Martin currently sitting on only seven catches and Rainey pulling in 16 passes this season, Sims’ presence on the field will add another, much needed layer to the offense.

Of course, everything is speculative until we see him out there on the field. And yes, the struggling offensive line could become a problem for anyone positioned in that backfield. But, when a young, talented and highly-touted skill position player is on the verge of making his debut, you can’t help but get a little excited and blissfully think about the possibilities of what’s to come. Now, excuse me as I go purchase my Sims No. 34 jersey.

There were maybe 9 good RBs worth adding this weekend. This may be No. 10. Questions are: does he play next week, how much, how much is his potential limited this year by the general mediocrity of the Bucs, and will the Bucs really feature him over Martin and during a lost season?

They've got clev, alt, wash and chi coming down the stretch. Great candidates to run against, the starters are among the worst in the league, a coaching staff has no loyalty to Martin/Rainey and drafted sims, the season is lost, he's a potential every down back and sims is sitting out there in most leagues for $1. Pickups like these can help win you leagues or give you valuable trade ammo heading down the stretch. I've snagged him in 2 of my 3 leagues and trying to lowball trade for him in the 3rd.

I've reduced most of my wrs and now have sims, Robinson, Mason and gray on most my benches. We'll see what happens down the stretch.

Did the same. Now down to 4 receivers. Picked up a bunch of RB that have chance at big roles.:

Sims

Gray

Randle

Cadet

Hoping 1 hits as my waiver priority all season was too low to get the hillman Oliver's and McKinnon s

:excited:

@AdamSchefter: While WR Vincent Jacksons name has been focus of trade speculation, the Buccaneer more likely to be dealt is RB Doug Martin. Teams calling.

So it's fairly likely that the only obstacle now is Rainey? Time to find a way to get this guy in dynasty and keeper leagues.

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims - RB - Buccaneers

ESPN's Adam Schefter says one reason the Bucs consider Doug Martin "expendable" is that Charles Sims (ankle) is eligible to come off IR/recall this week.

Schefter reported Sunday morning that teams have already approached the Bucs about Martin ahead of Tuesday's trade deadline. The 25-year-old back was inherited by this Lovie Smith regime, and has been among the league's worst running backs over the last two seasons. Sims, a third-round rookie, is expected to have a major role down the stretch and needs to be owned in 12-team leagues right now.

Related: Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 26 - 9:29 PM

(Rotoworld)Tom Krasniqi of 620 WDAE in Tampa Bay expects Charles Sims to "play a ton" when he returns from the I.R./recall list.

Analysis: Krasniqi isn't a beat writer, per se, but covers the team in Tampa and has had useful team-related nuggets in the past. He also attended Monday's press conference with coach Lovie Smith. The Bucs have just one win on the season and every incentive to start playing their youngsters. Sims was the 69th overall pick in May's draft. There's an outside chance that Sims could become a flex option as early as Week 10 against the Falcons. The Bucs play the Browns this week.

I wonder which teams are interested in Martin.
My guess is any team that has not watched him play in 2013 or 2014.
LOL.

Maybe Carolina could have some interest, though intra-divisional trades are quite rare.
Tampa Bay and NE seem to have some trade history... Martin to the Patriots might make sense.
Pats and Titans were the names coming up on Twitter. Not sure how much those rumors are still alive with the ankle injury to Martin though.

I wonder which teams are interested in Martin.
My guess is any team that has not watched him play in 2013 or 2014.
LOL. Maybe Carolina could have some interest, though intra-divisional trades are quite rare.
Tampa Bay and NE seem to have some trade history... Martin to the Patriots might make sense.
Pats and Titans were the names coming up on Twitter. Not sure how much those rumors are still alive with the ankle injury to Martin though.
Tha Titans I can understand as they have a lot of question marks at Rb and they tend to make horrible player personnel decisions. Although I don't think Martin would be an upgrade over anythjn they currently have. The pats..different story. Martin would be a downgrade from vereen, Jonas gray, bolden, James white, and their water boy, who could probably come in and run better.

What team would trade a future draft pick for Doug Martin? Maybe a trade like the Titans/Pats made with Akeem ayers where you swap from a 6th to a 7th and get him. But giving up an actual pick? I don't think that's going to happen.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
I wouldn't get too excited about his redraft prospects if Martin doesn't get traded. They won't just bring Sims back and give him the majority of the carries the first few weeks. So it will be a rbbc behind an awful O-line. If at some point he does emerge as a 60% starter it will still be behind a terrible o-line.

Imo, He is worth a grab if you have the roster spots, because it might not be instant gratification.

I love him in dynasty.

If martin gets traded that changes everything.

I wouldn't get too excited about his redraft prospects if Martin doesn't get traded. They won't just bring Sims back and give him the majority of the carries the first few weeks. So it will be a rbbc behind an awful O-line. If at some point he does emerge as a 60% starter it will still be behind a terrible o-line.

Imo, He is worth a grab if you have the roster spots, because it might not be instant gratification.

I love him in dynasty.

If martin gets traded that changes everything.
They must really, really, really like Sims.

Rookie RB Charles Sims set for big workload in Tampa Bay:

http://www.allvoices.com/article/100001850
Matthew Shovlin

Just a guy rambling on about sports like all the other folks in the media.
Buccaneers reporter Tom Krasniqi believes that Sims "will play a TON when he is ready," which makes plenty of sense given the team's struggles on the ground and Sims' draft billing.
From the sound of things, RB Charles Sims will play a TON when he's ready
Bucs reporter/Sports talk host/anchor for 620 WDAE and 95.3FM Tampa Bay. Host for Inside Pitch/Extra Innings
https://twitter.com/TKras/status/526821258059866112

Users who are viewing this thread