What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Charles Sims, Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims - RB - Buccaneers

According to the Tampa Bay Times, it's "not a slam dunk" that RB Charles Sims (ankle, I.R./return) is activated for Week 9.

Per reporter Rick Stroud, Sims hasn't suffered any setbacks from his preseason injury, but the Bucs "want to be careful." That's understandable, of course, but most signs suggest Sims will be making his NFL debut against the Browns' shaky run defense. With Doug Martin struggling and Bobby Rainey not a difference-maker, Sims could be in for a big role right off the bat, especially in passing situations.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Oct 28 - 3:38 PM

Rookie RB Charles Sims set for big workload in Tampa Bay:

http://www.allvoices.com/article/100001850
Matthew Shovlin

Just a guy rambling on about sports like all the other folks in the media.
Buccaneers reporter Tom Krasniqi believes that Sims "will play a TON when he is ready," which makes plenty of sense given the team's struggles on the ground and Sims' draft billing.
From the sound of things, RB Charles Sims will play a TON when he's ready
Bucs reporter/Sports talk host/anchor for 620 WDAE and 95.3FM Tampa Bay. Host for Inside Pitch/Extra Innings
https://twitter.com/TKras/status/526821258059866112
No Martin trade. Sims still in line for big workload?

From what I read earlier, this guy still hasn't been activated off IR.

Though there is rumors it could happen at any time.

Truth be known, I was kind of hoping Dougie-Not-So-Fresh Martin would be traded, so someone could actually be of semi relevance in TB.

In one league, I am perilously thin at RB, and I picked up this guy, hoping for the best. (my roster is Mark Ingram, Jonathan Stewart, Joique Bell, Isaiah Crowell and now Sims)

Bye week pressure has caused me to drop 2 other "flier" backs, but lets hope this guy can come through down the stretch.

This is right about the time one "lesser known" back fires up, and has a good rest of season, it tends to happen every year near the halfway point.

Crowell seems to have a decent path, once Tate gets injured, but the horrific situation in TB makes me believe that this might be the spot for another RB to come forward and play well the latter half.

TZM

I wouldn't get too excited about his redraft prospects if Martin doesn't get traded. They won't just bring Sims back and give him the majority of the carries the first few weeks. So it will be a rbbc behind an awful O-line. If at some point he does emerge as a 60% starter it will still be behind a terrible o-line.

Imo, He is worth a grab if you have the roster spots, because it might not be instant gratification.

I love him in dynasty.

If martin gets traded that changes everything.
I'm thinking this hits the bulls-eye.

Once they have lost a few more games and go into "see what we have mode", Sims will be unleashed. Unfortunately, it may not be in time for your fantasy playoffs.

The Buccaneers haven't gotten the job done when trying to run the football this season, and from the sounds of it, coach Lovie Smith is looking for new answers. And one answer could come in the form of rookie Charles Sims.

"Very [excited about Sims' return]," Smith said in a press conference Monday. "As I talk about not being able to get more from our running game, of course it's just not on the front -- we say it starts up front. A lot of the big plays you see happening in the league in the running game is based on yards after contact -- making someone miss in the open field. That's all a part of it also."

Last edited by a moderator:
Krasniqui or whatever, is just another guy locally. Not even a beat writer. He was just filling in on a radio show and he he suggested getting Simms. He's a big fantasy guy.

Crazy what these websites report nowadays.

Krasniqui or whatever, is just another guy locally. Not even a beat writer. He was just filling in on a radio show and he he suggested getting Simms. He's a big fantasy guy.

Crazy what these websites report nowadays.
T-KRas knows things. A GB of mine who is a big Bucs fan is telling me to go after Sims with all my FAAB budget.

Haha. Unleash the Kraken!
Choose your penance, destruction or sacrifice!

Sims has a great opportunity in front of him to seize this job. He is completely healed from his ankle issue, but he is still an untested rookie who needs to work himself back into football shape, and he is going to be running behind an offensive line that has been dreadful. I would temper my expectations for the immediate future. That said, I am all in on Sims, especially in dynasty. Sure, the report on Sims is that he runs too upright and struggles to break tackles, but his acceleration, vision and versatility are exceptional. Sims has the tools to be a RB1, and you don't find that kind of talent on the waiver wire too often.

Bottom line is...how can't they give him a big look? They are so bad any new body should be given a chance asap.

I like Tkras, and he is one of the more knowledgeable Tampa football guys. He is a good follow on twitter too. He isn't anymore of an insider than any of the other Tampa beat writers tho.

I'm not disagreeing with him that Sims may get a "heavy workload", but the question is when. I just don't think they delegate Martin & Rainey too backing up a rookie fresh off IR. If he bust off a few plays, and looks good, then he will likely earn more time.

The main issue is the O-line sucks, and that doesn't change with who is carrying the ball.

Read the tea leaves. Rainey's not Lovie's guy. Doug sure isn't either. Lovie said he was really excited about getting Sims back. Sims is Lovie's guy. When he gets cleared, don't be surprised how fast he takes over.

Read the tea leaves. Rainey's not Lovie's guy. Doug sure isn't either. Lovie said he was really excited about getting Sims back. Sims is Lovie's guy. When he gets cleared, don't be surprised how fast he takes over.
If you are directing that to me, no disagreement at all. I was only noting that while the OL may in fact stink, I don't think it is logical to imply Sims or any other RB could not succeed behind that OL.

The main issue is the O-line sucks, and that doesn't change with who is carrying the ball.
Really? Rainey is averaging 4.6 YPC on the year. That figure is based on more carries than Martin's 2.9 YPC.
They are 32 in total offense. A ball carrier isn't going to miraculously make them much better.
Who said Sims is going to make this offense miraculously better? My league does not allow playing an entire offense as a positional player.

I apologize if this was posted already but last week on Sirius Adam Caplan said his sources with the Bucs have told him once Sims is ready to go he's going to get a significant workload. Caplan said the team's love of Sims is very real and very strong.

Really? Rainey is averaging 4.6 YPC on the year. That figure is based on more carries than Martin's 2.9 YPC.
They are 32 in total offense. A ball carrier isn't going to miraculously make them much better.
Agreed with BigJim. Overall total offense rank has nothing to do with individual performance nor does it mean that can't change fast. Try to be an optimist Bucs fan.

I apologize if this was posted already but last week on Sirius Adam Caplan said his sources with the Bucs have told him once Sims is ready to go he's going to get a significant workload. Caplan said the team's love of Sims is very real and very strong.
That's the vibe I get too listening to Lovie on the radio.

No one knows what will happen. Bottom line, pick up Sims, stash him on your bench and see what happens. If he plays well when given the opportunity, he'll be the starter in Tampa Bay.

No one knows what will happen. Bottom line, pick up Sims, stash him on your bench and see what happens. If he plays well when given the opportunity, he'll be the starter in Tampa Bay.
That's far too easy.
It is. Most owners have blown most of their FAAB budget by now. Sims represents maybe the last good waiver wire pickup of the year, and then it's just a shell game of recycled goods till the playoffs. Last good lottery ticket imo.

That's far too easy.
It is. Most owners have blown most of their FAAB budget by now. Sims represents maybe the last good waiver wire pickup of the year, and then it's just a shell game of recycled goods till the playoffs. Last good lottery ticket imo.
I'm debating on whether to go in with a lower bid hoping he's still flying under the radar or just say F it and go big. There's still enough questions about him that a heavy bid might not be necessary. Ahh the beauty of blind bidding. :)

That's far too easy.
I'm debating on whether to go in with a lower bid hoping he's still flying under the radar or just say F it and go big. There's still enough questions about him that a heavy bid might not be necessary. Ahh the beauty of blind bidding. :)
Is there really someone else who is going to come along in the next few weeks worth spending money on?

That's far too easy.
Is there really someone else who is going to come along in the next few weeks worth spending money on?
In my league yes it's possible. But even in other leagues I'm guessing there may be a decent number of backup/reserve RBs still on the WW.

That's the vibe I get too listening to Lovie on the radio.
Sims has been high on my radar ever since Lovie made the Forte comp

When does he get activated from IR? I would think it would need to happen very shortly in order for him to see any playing time this weekend. Or do you think that the coaching staff wants to see Rainey run one more time with the first team in a game before deciding to activate him?

The Bucs have 3 RBs now on the active roster (Martin, Rainey and James). If Martin can't go Sims will almost certainly be activated at some point this week if he's ready. I doubt the Bucs will want to have only 2 RBs active. If the Bucs sign a RB (do they have one on their practice squad?) and Martin continues to miss practice that would be a pretty strong sign Sims won't play this week.

No martin practice today.
Yep. Reports say Bucs RB Doug Martin is in a walking boot so if Charles Simms get activated its possible Martin won't be in the picture so his biggest obstacle would be RB Bobby Rainey.

Tweet from a half hour ago confirms Martin in walking boot.

============================

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/527520938322313216

Rick Stroud‏@NFLSTROUD 30m30 minutes ago

#Bucs RB Doug Martin has a walking boot on his left leg from an ankle sprain and is not practicing today

Tampa Bay takes on Cleveland and the Browns run defense has been pretty bad all year.

Rick Stroud retweeted

Greg Auman @gregauman · 17h 17 hours ago
Browns' first six opponents all rushed for at least 127 yards, all averaged 4.3 per carry. Raiders this weekend were 1st team held in check.

Sticking with the Rick Stroud twitter stream, this from yesterday says that Tampa Bay RB Charles Simms WILL BE ACTIVATED for Sunday's game against the Browns.

Rick Stroud @NFLSTROUD · Oct 28

#Bucs RB Doug Martin is averaging 2.9 yards per carry and RB Charles Sims will be active vs. Cleve.

I think they have one open spot on their roster (as of 10/27 they did), so he will likely be activated.

They waived Kafka and signed him to their practice quad and did not sign anyone else. Also signed Tavarres King to practice squad. (had put one guy on IR, waived another)

Even if he's active, it'll be the Rainey show this weekend, right?
That's the big question. If people like Caplan are correct we could see a lot of Sims immediately even if Rainey was the technical starter.
I was considering Rainey for Fanduel if he was getting the start. To be honest, I know very little about this situation... should I just look elsewhere this weekend?

Even if he's active, it'll be the Rainey show this weekend, right?
That's the big question. If people like Caplan are correct we could see a lot of Sims immediately even if Rainey was the technical starter.
I was considering Rainey for Fanduel if he was getting the start. To be honest, I know very little about this situation... should I just look elsewhere this weekend?
I don't pretend to have any insider knowledge but take a look at the Bucs actions, they:

- Drafted RB Charles Simms in the 3rd round

- Charles got injured and they put him on recoverable waivers so that action indicates they like him and wanted him on the roster this year

- Openly shopped former 1st round pick RB Doug Martin

Since they have done everything except activate Simms from IR, right now, the guy is Rainey but it seems inevitable that Simms will be activated and then the course of actions Tampa Bay has taken seems to point to Simms getting his shot.

Good matchup this week but, obviously no one knows so you have to make your own call.

If Martin is banged up and can't go, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Sims take half the workload. If he looks much better than Rainey he could earn the lions share of the carries week 10 at hone vs ATL.

U guys gotta be crazy if u think sims is going to have a significant role this week. Dude is coming off of ankle surgery and has JUST started "practicing" yesterday

U guys gotta be crazy if u think sims is going to have a significant role this week. Dude is coming off of ankle surgery and has JUST started "practicing" yesterday
Got a link to that? I thought he began practicing with the team Oct 22.

If by yesterday, you mean last week, then yeah. :sarcasm:

Also, he's been running/cutting for several weeks, and (I'd assume) sitting in on meetings all season.

That being said, I wouldn't expect him to have a significant role (certainly wouldn't start him in FF), but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. It's not all that uncommon for guys to get signed off the street & play significant roles right away. Chris Ogbonnaya signed in Carolina right before week 5 this year and got 8 touches, Willis McGahee signed last year in Cleveland & got 9 or 10 carries in his 1st game. Peyton Hillis signed in NYG right before week 7 last year & he got 23 touches.

If by yesterday, you mean last week, then yeah. :sarcasm:

Also, he's been running/cutting for several weeks, and (I'd assume) sitting in on meetings all season.

That being said, I wouldn't expect him to have a significant role (certainly wouldn't start him in FF), but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. It's not all that uncommon for guys to get signed off the street & play significant roles right away. Chris Ogbonnaya signed in Carolina right before week 5 this year and got 8 touches, Willis McGahee signed last year in Cleveland & got 9 or 10 carries in his 1st game. Peyton Hillis signed in NYG right before week 7 last year & he got 23 touches.
I don't see how he possibly has a significant role this week as a rookie returning from a serious injury on the road in what would be his first NFL game. NFL coaches like Lovie have proven time and time again how ridiculously conservative they are in every aspect of the game. No way do they try to unleash him this week and they would still fail if they did due to their abysmal run blocking. However, it does seem clear that everything is setting up for him to be the guy once he is healthy and ready.

Starting him in all my leagues if he's active. The guy is an exceptional receiver, so even with a bad line he'll be great for dump offs.

If active 80-100 total yards and a possible TD.

Starting him in all my leagues if he's active. The guy is an exceptional receiver, so even with a bad line he'll be great for dump offs.

This week?
If Martin is out and he's active most definitely. Even if Tampa falls behind by a bunch he's one of the best receiving backs to come out in years. He could easily have 6-8 receptions in the game.

This week?
If Martin is out and he's active most definitely. Even if Tampa falls behind by a bunch he's one of the best receiving backs to come out in years. He could easily have 6-8 receptions in the game.
I actually tend to agree with this. :shrug:

If he plays this week and Martin is out, Travis Cadet has to be the worst-case scenario, right? They get him 3-4 catches and 5-7 runs.

That being said, you have to be in a truly desperate spot to start him this week.

Rotoworld:

Bucs coach Lovie Smith said Charles Sims (ankle, I.R./return) has a chance to play in Sunday's game against the Browns.

Sims has been practicing since last week, and hasn't had any setbacks. With Doug Martin dealing with an ankle injury, he could be used in a committee with Bobby Rainey. The Bucs are hoping Sims can "provide a spark" in the run game.

Source: Scott Smith on Twitter
Oct 29 - 4:06 PM

Users who are viewing this thread