What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Terrance West, Ravens (1 Viewer)

Updating a previous item, Terrance West left Saturday night's preseason game with a jammed finger, but was able to return.

He'll be fine. West saw some run with the first-team offense against the Colts, but he was the No. 3 back through the rotation behind Justin Forsett and Buck Allen. West managed nine yards on three carries with a 19-yard reception before exiting. He worked ahead of rookie Kenneth Dixon. 
Aug 20 - 8:58 PM

From what I can tell, he's the goal line running back and in a situation like this with Forsett aging and coming off an injury...  he's a guy you should be rostering.

In emergency, throw him in your flex and hope he gets goal line work. If Forsett or Allen get dinged up, he gets goal line work and some extra carries.

crowded backfield...difficult to accurately predict distribution of carries...
Yeah.

We're headed to week three of preseason. Many teams do not play their first string in week four or play them sparingly. This week is the week to make a call on him for FF. It could be end of the week after game 3, but that could make ya part of a rush to get him. 

I've been going Tajae Sharpe and West as my last two non kicker picks. This past week, he went round 13 and I didn't get him. "Everyone" in the chat was all "oh I was just about to grab him" so I'd guess his ADP raised a little. 

As long as you're honest and admit that there is a player or two you're probably going to drop for week one waivers, I don't see what's the big deal with the pick. He's got the swing for the fences part as a possible starter and if Forsett gets the #1 role, well then West has got the "dud" part too.  Forsett is going in round 8-10 and....I just like taking West. With all the news, at this point, it seems like a fine pick. 

Got him with my 17th round pick in a ffpc draft because of this board.

For me it's now a question of whether or not West can hold off Dixon when he comes back.

Got him with my 17th round pick in a ffpc draft because of this board.

For me it's now a question of whether or not West can hold off Dixon when he comes back.
Hopefully he can play well enough to relegate Dixon to bench, but realistically it will probably involve a timeshare at some point.  I'm really happy for the 4-5 games of early down work. 

Holy cow, didn't see this coming. Has he lost what bit he had, does he have a chance at ending up somewhere else?

Holy cow, didn't see this coming. Has he lost what bit he had, does he have a chance at ending up somewhere else?
I'm sure he'll land somewhere else, but I have seen many tweets from the beat at Ravens camp he didn't have much juice left.  Still a veteran RB with 3 down ability will be an asset for someone, though I doubt it proves fruitful for fantasy purposes without some injuries.

I don't think it was that Forsett had lost it but that they would have to pay him $7 million over the next two years and they can pay Terrence West $600,000 for similar talent/production. And they have the rookie and Allen. 

How hurt is dixon?? 2 to 4 week injury. Still seems like rbbc even w forsett gone
Expected to miss 4 to 5 weeks.  It is a RBBC, West will get early down and short yardage work and Buck will get the passing work.  My bet is that Terrance West performs well enough to stick and that Dixon usurps Allen for passing work and likely takes the reigns by the end of the year.   Either way I think West has a clear path to 15 touches for at least a month. 

Just added West in a start 3RB 12 team TD heavy league. More for bench depth 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are West's runs from their third preseason game. There's some crap in between his carries but I wanted to record it fullscreen.

I think long-term this situation is going to be murky but in the short term you can definitely count on legitimate work for West. There's no doubt that Allen will be involved but West could lead this backfield in the short-term.

Added him as well while dropping Forsett.  This should clear up the backfield carries

I dunno if I'd go crazy here, even for the early weeks.  When Forsett clears waivers, couldn't the Ravens just end up resigning him on the cheap?  It seems surprising to me that they'd go into week 1 with just two RBs.

EDIT: Actually, duh--Forsett won't hit waivers because he's a vet.  Seems even more likely when you think of it that way.

If I'm going to invest in this backfield, I would go with Dixon. And the good thing is that if you haven't drafted yet, you can probably get him late while others are scooping up West and Allen.

The wave of cold water that always rushes through a player thread when some degree of sleeper value is realized is very refreshing.

I dunno if I'd go crazy here, even for the early weeks.  When Forsett clears waivers, couldn't the Ravens just end up resigning him on the cheap?  It seems surprising to me that they'd go into week 1 with just two RBs.

ravens can re-sign him, but they'd most likely wait until after week 1 so his salary isn't guaranteed otherwise they'd have just restructured his deal. and re-signing him assumes nobody will make a better offer... and if you're forsett, there's added motivation to sign elsewhere since the team just showed a lack of faith in you. (of course, this ignores the very real possibility that the two sides were negotiating a restructured deal and came to terms to do it this way.)

EDIT: Actually, duh--Forsett won't hit waivers because he's a vet.  Seems even more likely when you think of it that way.
This is why you shouldn't be dropping him just yet. Anything could happen. He could end up on the Colts or the Redskins. Grab West but don't do it at the expense of Forsett just yet

Why would forsett simply sign for less? If you got fired tomorrow and your boss offered you the same job for less money, would you go running back? Handful of teams could use him either as a backup or as a starter.

The wave of cold water that always rushes through a player thread when some degree of sleeper value is realized is very refreshing.
I drafted West late in FFPC foreseeing this too, but you'd have to admit Dixon is probably going to be the man sooner rather than later.

Why would forsett simply sign for less? If you got fired tomorrow and your boss offered you the same job for less money, would you go running back? Handful of teams could use him either as a backup or as a starter.
This isnt an accounting job. Only so many nfl spots. Old rbs get almost no love in the nfl

Seriously? Happens all day every day in the NFL, it's a business.

Happens every year. Maybe he wants to stay in town. People hate moving. If money is similar, he might want to stay.

The real question is, why would this really change anything.  They clearly think West is the better back and it's kind of silly to think the guy that they cut, and that (assumedly) the whole league didn't want, would be signed on a cheap deal and then get the job.  He would be depth that I'm sure would rotate on a series or two max.  

I drafted West late in FFPC foreseeing this too, but you'd have to admit Dixon is probably going to be the man sooner rather than later.
I have conceded this is a very real possibility.  Even so, he is in line for 15 touches for at least a month of the year.  Not bad for a player who was free.

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley calls Terrance West the Ravens' "presumed starter" following Justin Forsett's release.
West outplayed Forsett in training camp and the preseason, earning the promotion. While West is now the favorite for early-down and red-zone work in the Ravens' backfield, pass-catching extraordinaire Buck Allen is also set up for increased usage and could become the Ravens back to own in PPR leagues. Impressive rookie Kenneth Dixon (MCL) will miss the next few weeks.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 
Sep 3 - 4:19 PM

If the Ravens thought Forsett was the starter they wouldn't have cut him.  They may bring him back but he will be a back-up.  Teams don't cut their starting rb

jurrassic said:
If the Ravens thought Forsett was the starter they wouldn't have cut him.  They may bring him back but he will be a back-up.  Teams don't cut their starting rb
I agree, I do not understand this idea he will return and be the starter business.

Former Browns and Titans castoff Terrance West isn't just pushing for a roster spot in Baltimore. He's building a strong case to surpass Justin Forsett and Javorius Allen as the Ravens' top running back.

Through a week of training camp, the Baltimore Sun lauded the slimmed-down West as the team's "most explosive offensive player." ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley followed suit on Thursday, noting that West has been the offense's "No. 1 playmaker."

Although West entered the offseason squarely on the roster bubble, he helped his case by reporting to OTAs in the best shape of his life. By the time camp rolled around in late July, he was flashing elusiveness and big-play ability not seen in his first two NFL seasons.

"I just think he looks good as a football player," coach John Harbaugh said earlier this week. "I think 'urgency' is a good word from a physical perspective. His running is urgent. He's making cuts. He's making really good reads. He's quick through the hole, he's quick into the hole. There's no hesitation.

"Also in pass protection, he's stuck it up in there and he's popping people in pass protection. He's doing really well."

West acknowledges that he's "focused" and "more dialed in" entering a make-or-break season with his hometown team.

Offensive coordinator Marc Trestman confirmed that West's hard work is paying off.

"He's just out there working hard, trying to get better. He's running aggressively," Trestman raved, via the Baltimore Sun. "He's much improved in terms of his understanding of pass protection, which is critical to getting on the field. He's got a tremendous attitude, in the classroom, on the field."

If West remains the Ravens' most explosive and productive runner by the end of the preseason, he's going to force the coaching staff to consider leaving him in the lead-back role.

This might be something.

I think the thing that stands out most to me about West during preseason action is the fact that he's not dancing around in the backfield or trying to bounce anything outside that he shouldn't. He doesn't look like the guy I lovingly refereed to as Terrance "East to" West during his tenure in CLE.

Granted, he's had some large holes to work with and it is preseason but he looks more able and willing to grind out yards between the tackles. 

I don't know, maybe it's just the uniform but he looks a bit different to me.  :shrug:

Does Kenneth Dixon coming back from MCL sprain in 4 weeks pose much of a risk to West as a starter?  Guess it all depends on what West does with the opportunity.  It's seems it is West's job to lose at this point. The backfield situation in Baltimore is muddled from a fantasy football perspective.   

I dropped R. Kelley for West and might even be starting West week 1. Not sure that's ideal, but the all the stars seem lined up for production.

Does Kenneth Dixon coming back from MCL sprain in 4 weeks pose much of a risk to West as a starter?  Guess it all depends on what West does with the opportunity.  It's seems it is West's job to lose at this point. The backfield situation in Baltimore is muddled from a fantasy football perspective.   
Id dare say Baltimore is willing to play em all and find one that works (hothand)

But we have a hammy in preseason and now an mcl sprain (4 weeks bad?) that will have delayed development.

I guess we should assume the Coach likes West (somebody) good enough to let players walk..

One big tell could be draft stock   Is/was Dixon a grade 2 that was too much value in the 4th  or  Did the Ravens risk the acquisition for other players

Heres more draft preview info: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2630890-kenneth-dixon-nfl-draft-2016-scouting-report-grade-for-ravens-rookie

NEGATIVES

Dixon missed two games with an ankle injury in 2015 and struggled with a knee injury in 2014. Both should be vetted by NFL team doctors. Two lower-body injuries in a small-framed running back will no doubt cause some concerns.

While he is quick and a great change-of-direction back, Dixon lacks the top-end speed and power to wow scouts.

Users who are viewing this thread