What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Chris Conley, Texans (1 Viewer)

I held him for a few years from a FA pickup... dropped him this year for the rookie draft.  He was a combine monster: 4.35 40, 7.06 3-cone, 45 vert, 18 reps on bench.  And 6'2, 213lbs... good prototype.  He seemed to run good routes in college... but the production was never there.

I pretty much agree with anyone who points out that Alex Smith sucks.  Alex Smith literally cannot throw an out route.  I was pretty amazed that Maclin was able to carry Smith to a 1,000 yard season for a WR 2 years back.  

So even with Maclin getting released... I'd probably pass on spending another year waiting for something to change in the better for Conley.
I think its Smith's limitations that counter-intuitively favor Hill in the short term. 

Putting on my tinfoil hat for a second, remember the scene in moneyball where they traded a player just to force the manager to play Hatteberg?  I would not put it past Reid to trade Maclin to force Smith to look Hill's direction.  Reid seems to me to be a huge Hill fan...

I see a lot of quick slants followed by a post as soon as the safeties start to bite on the slant (Yes, Smith can throw the post... especially when its nearly impossible to overthrow Hill).  No, Hill is not built for a lot of over the middle contact, but video shows that he is pretty good at avoiding the brunt of most hits.

One edit... my opinion above does not prevent Conley from being a great hold/lottery ticket.  If either Smith or Hill fail, I think Conley would jump to the WR3 conversation overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been kinda quiet in here, but with all the buzz about Mahomes, I have to think Conley may be a great late grab at WR just to see what happens.

Been kinda quiet in here, but with all the buzz about Mahomes, I have to think Conley may be a great late grab at WR just to see what happens.
Dynasty? Because Mahomes seems like the least likely rookie QB to start this season, barring injury of course.

Thinking more dynasty, yeah. Though if the chiefs have a losing streak and Smith isn't playing well, that drumbeat will get louder and louder. 

Bump, anyone optimistic about his future with Mahomes?  Obviously Mahomes vs Smith, that's a drastic difference in style of play, and Conley showed really good speed coming out college so more deep shots to him?  He was the WR2 on the roster, they just didn't use the #2 guy very often after Hunt, Kelce, Hill.  

Did you intentionally go back a full year to find that quote?
no Faust made a post and when I went to my last "read" post it took me back there....I know we all swing and miss in some of our proclamations, but I just found that one amusing...

My guess is people aren't going to judge Hill based upon size this year. He's Steve Smith 2.0.

I have no idea.what to think about Conley. Seems to me he is fighting to be fourth fiddle in this offense and third in the passing game.

I like Conley's game a lot...even though there is limited sample size...but yeah in this offense he will be fighting for targets.....but if there is an injury to Hill or Watkins Conley probbaly becomes a must add....probably a tough hold for dynasty, but you never know how things shake out....think KC likes Robinson, Chesson, and D'Anthony Thomas still too....crowded WR room with some top heavy talent...talent and potential wise, Conley may be the WR3, but that doesn't necessarily translate to game time...

My guess is people aren't going to judge Hill based upon size this year. He's Steve Smith 2.0.

I have no idea.what to think about Conley. Seems to me he is fighting to be fourth fiddle in this offense and third in the passing game.
I think it's worse than that.  Hill, Hunt, Watkins and Kelce are all ahead of him for targets.  Throw in Ware as a COP back and its tough to see him being relevant sans injury.

Chris Conley caught 7-of-8 targets for 74 yards and two touchdowns in the Chiefs' 54-51, Week 11 loss to the Rams on Monday night.

Sammy Watkins (foot) was active through a questionable tag and made the start, but he didn't play after the opening series, and Conley was thrust into an every-down role. He made it count in the shootout of the ages. It was a big night for Conley obviously, but he won't be on the fantasy radar in Week 13 after the bye if/when Watkins is back to 100 percent, which is the expectation.

Nov 20 - 12:53 AM

Sammy Watkins (foot) is out for Week 13 against the Raiders.

Chris Conley has played 118 snaps (90%) with Watkins hobbled/out the past two weeks. He'll continue to work as the team's No. 2 receiver against Oakland's comical pass rush and secondary. You can do worse if looking for help help in must-win season-long situations, or simply trying to create room in DFS cash games. DeMarcus Robinson will play in three-wide sets, but likely won't be called on much.
After a Bye Watkins never practiced; that foot injury is starting to look serious. Conley is playing a ton of snaps in the meantime, go pick him up.

He's a UFA after this season, and looks fully recovered and healthy. I've always thought he has talent.

I'll be interested to see what he does this offseason. He could be sneaky good next year if he lands a starting job somewhere, somehow. If he's sought after at all, KC won't be able to keep him since they're already committed to Watkins until 2020.

"Arrowhead Addict @ArrowheadAddict 2m

Per @cdotharrison, #Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins re-injured his foot earlier this week in practice. https://t.co/Ok4Fzx1Vzx"

"Sammy Watkins to miss 4-6 weeks with foot injury"

Conley or KB for FF playoffs???

"Arrowhead Addict @ArrowheadAddict 2m

Per @cdotharrison, #Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins re-injured his foot earlier this week in practice. https://t.co/Ok4Fzx1Vzx"

"Sammy Watkins to miss 4-6 weeks with foot injury"

Conley or KB for FF playoffs???
Can't imagine Benjamin will know the playbook for at least a couple weeks. Conley knows the system and has experience catching balls from Mahomes. 

Expect to see a mix of Conley/DeMarcus Robinson and more usage for Demetrius Harris... However Conley is locked into at least 90% of the snaps for now.

Jaguars signed WR Chris Conley, formerly of the Chiefs.

Conley is Jacksonville's Donte Moncrief replacement. He'll slot in behind Dede Westbrook and a healthy Marqise Lee but isn't guaranteed a top-three role. It's hard to see Conley's career-high five touchdowns last year as a breakout given he was playing with an MVP quarterback. The Jaguars improved their offense by landing Nick Foles this offseason, but Conley is just a veteran flyer for a run-first offense.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 16, 2019, 7:12 AM

ESPN's Mike DiRocco said Chris Conley has been the Jaguars best wide receiver during OTAs and minicamp.

DiRocco goes as far as saying, "The Jaguars don't have a clear No. 1 receiver, but with Marqise Lee not expected to return from a knee injury until several weeks into training camp it could be Conley." A Donte Moncrief replacement, Conley reportedly has chemistry with Nick Foles and is working his way into a starting job. However, unless this offense changes with Foles, Conley isn't likely to be a consistent fantasy contributor.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jun 14, 2019, 10:09 AM ET

I always liked Conley but it just seemed like he never took that next step....not sure if it was because of talent in front of him or what....kinda hated seeing him leave KC as I thought Mahomes and that offense would be a good fit for him if he continued to develop....

Ya, if he couldn't find a place in that KC offense it kind of makes me worry. I'm sure Reid tried to put him where he thought he could succeed.

The Athletic's Phillip Heilman reports Nick Foles and Chris Conley have "quickly developed a rapport" in camp practices.

Conley stood out in spring practices as well and seems to be picking up right where he left off. He and Foles were briefly teammates with the Chiefs and likely practiced together often. As Heilman notes, the "two seem to analyze the defense similarly." Conley is likely to score some long touchdowns this year with his blazing speed and Foles' big arm, but he's unlikely to become a true fantasy asset outside of best-ball formats. This receiver group has a handful of bodies who will likely all be seeing snaps.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 7, 2019, 2:10 PM ET

Jaguars WR Chris Conley (hip) was listed as a limited participant in the team's estimated practice report Monday.

The Jaguars didn't actually practice Monday, but they're still required to submit an estimated injury report. Conley is tentatively expected to be good to go for the team's Thursday night matchup against the Titans. He's posted solid 6-97-1 and 4-73-0 lines in Weeks 1 and 2, respectively, but has just 12 combined targets and will carry a low floor as long as Gardner Minshew remains under center. Conley shouldn't be considered as a viable fantasy football option in season-long formats.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter.

Sep 16, 2019, 4:41 PM ET

Chris Conley absorbed four catches for 49 yards and two touchdowns on eight targets Sunday in the Jaguars’ Week 15 win over the Raiders.

Gardner Minshew completed just three passes in the first half and none of them were to Conley. Luckily he saved his best for last, taking over with three catches for 31 yards and two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Conley was especially active on the Jags' final drive, netting 21 yards on a catch-and-run while completing Jacksonville's comeback with a four-yard touchdown off a third-down pass from Minshew with 31 seconds remaining. Sunday erased a five-game scoreless drought for Conley, who is quietly in the midst of his best season. Conley will be an appealing WR3/4 against a vulnerable Falcons secondary in Week 16, particularly if D.J. Chark (ankle) misses another game.

Chris Conley caught 2-of-5 targets for 56 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 16 loss to the Falcons.

Conley's score was a 42-yarder where he got a step on frequent touchdown allower Blidi Wreh-Wilson. His first catch, it came early in the fourth quarter. He would then tack on a 14-yarder. Although Conley has not reached 60 yards since October, he is up to three touchdowns in his past two games. The Colts are a nondescript Week 17 matchup.

The Jaguars exercised Chris Conley's team option.

Conley will return to Jacksonville in 2020 after showing promise as a No. 3 receiver last season. He set new career-highs in catches (47) and yards (775) after being brought in as an unrestricted free agent from Kansas City. Conley offers big-play potential and will be a double-digit round flier in fantasy drafts after the offseason. Conley is now entering his prime as a 27-year-old. The Jaguars also picked up S Jarrod Wilson's option for the 2020 season.

SOURCE: Jaguars on Twitter

Feb 21, 2020, 3:20 PM ET

Chris Conley caught 7-of-9 targets for 87 yards in the Jaguars' Week 17 loss to the Colts.

When everyone was healthy, Conley was the Jaguars’ No. 4 receiver as an experienced vertical threat. That role led to 40 receptions, 471 yards, and two touchdowns on 63 targets. Conley was the victim of countless overthrows in 2020 but also added a few inexcusable drops en route to Jacksonville’s 1-15 season. A 29-year-old free agent, Conley will have to settle for a cheap contract this offseason as he attempts to crack another 53-man roster. Keelan Cole will be joining Conley in free agency.

- Rotoworld

Texans signed WR Chris Conley, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year contract.

It's another one-year deal for Houston, which has also added Donte Moncrief and Alex Erickson to its receivers room throughout free agency. Although none figure to soak up significant reps, Conley has proven to have the ability to separate from defenders deep; what's typically happened after that is why Jacksonville allowed him to walk. 29 in October, Conley will at the very least offer depth as an athletic boundary receiver with speed.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mar 22, 2021, 1:06 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread