What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Chris Conley, Texans (2 Viewers)

Yeah it's a terrible spot for Conley for sure. He's a deep threat on a team with a QB that can't throw it deep.

Absolute worst spot for Conley, IMO.
Yep. Kansas City was last in the NFL last year in passing yards on deep throws (20+ yards downfield). In 2013 they were next-to-last, ahead of the Henne/Gabbert Jaguars. KC has averaged 363 yards of deep passing per year (over the last 2 years), while the league average is 789 yards.

I think with this poor of a landing spot you have to put him behind any of the even slightly talented RBs with half a chance of attaining a major role(even if through injury to the starter ahead of them). So I'm thinking somewhere around the 25 range(Dynasty PPR).

Though I haven't had time to make an early list yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think Kelce may benefit the most from this Conley pick. Even if Smith doesn't want to throw downfield much, Conley can still stretch the field with his speed and open up some room underneath for Kelce to work with. I'm really liking the look of this offense heading into the season, although my standards aren't very high after our impressive 0 WR TD performance in 2014.

Curious as to where he'll be picked in rookie drafts this offseason. In IDP formats is he even a top-60 pick at this point?

Curious as to where he'll be picked in rookie drafts this offseason. In IDP formats is he even a top-60 pick at this point?
Non-IDP I have him in the 35-40 range. At that point he's low risk/high reward.

Chiefs Rookie Minicamp Day One Recap

Excerpt:

Two plays really stood out as the best of the day, with both coming from the offensive side of the ball.

The first came via former Lamar receiver Mark Roberts (6-4, 182 pounds), who made a fantastic catch across the middle in team drills. He took the high throw across the middle on a slant working from the outside and fully extended to high-point the ball and make the catch for the first oh-and-ah moment of the day.

The second play came on a pass from CSU-Pueblo quarterback Chris Bonner (6-6, 231 pounds) to receiver Chris Conley (6-3, 205 pounds) on a go route deep down the field. Conley had created some separation from the defender and Bonner put it out in front of Conley to lead the speedy third-round pick for a beautiful hookup down the field.

Doesn't this guy have the inside track to be the #2 behind Maclin? I realize Smith doesn't throw deep and that Kelce/Charles will eat a lot of targets, but it seems like he has some real upside. Especially if we assume that regression to the mean works in favor of the Chiefs WR's this year. I'm not saying he'll blow up, but if he is that cheap in rookie drafts, why not take a flyer? I also wonder how serviceable Deanthony Thomas will be.

Doesn't this guy have the inside track to be the #2 behind Maclin? I realize Smith doesn't throw deep and that Kelce/Charles will eat a lot of targets, but it seems like he has some real upside. Especially if we assume that regression to the mean works in favor of the Chiefs WR's this year. I'm not saying he'll blow up, but if he is that cheap in rookie drafts, why not take a flyer? I also wonder how serviceable Deanthony Thomas will be.
Eventually I see him taking over the WR2 role in KC. How long that will take, I have no idea. Albert Wilson really caught fire (relatively speaking, for a 2014 Chiefs WR) down the stretch last year, and projects to start off the year across from Maclin. One of Conley's biggest flaws was that he struggled with physical CB play, so the expectation right now is that he'll see most of his early work from the slot. Kelce/Charles/Maclin/Wilson/Conley is a lot of mouths for Alex Smith to feed, so it'll be interesting to see how he divvies up the targets -- as far as immediate impact goes, I wouldn't expect much from Conley at all.

That being said, I spent some time watching his game tape, and I liked what I saw. Crazy athleticism -- unlike some workout warriors, his impressive numbers at the combine actually translate to the field. He dropped quite a few passes at the combine, but on tape I didn't see much of an issue with his hands. His ceiling is definitely higher than Wilson's, which is why I see him taking over the WR2 spot eventually.

I think De'Anthony Thomas has minimal FF value at this point unless your league gives points for return yards. He'll probably see the field for the occasional fly sweep, etc. but now that KC has a much better WR corps, I doubt he sees many snaps from the slot like he did last year.

With Conley I'm looking two years down the road when the guaranteed portion of Maclin's and Smith's contract are over. Looks like there are a lot of potentially good QB's coming out next year and I'm hoping the Chiefs draft one.

With Conley I'm looking two years down the road when the guaranteed portion of Maclin's and Smith's contract are over. Looks like there are a lot of potentially good QB's coming out next year and I'm hoping the Chiefs draft one.
This. I'm hoping to grab this guy in the 3rd and stash him on taxi squad in hopes they get a QB.

We claim every horrible performing QB needs more weapons, but when it comes to a guy that actually started winning and performing we say?? No Avery bashing or criticism of D. Bowe of recent years. No consistency at all. Maybe there's a reason Smith only started to throw to Kelce and Charles. This is a fine landing spot behind the attention giving to Maclin and Charles if Conley will ever produce in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Chiefs third-round WR Chris Conley has been getting "a lot of work" in practice.

Conley even stepped in with the first unit last week when Jeremy Maclin sat out with a sore foot. A toolsy size/speed prospect, Conley will at worst be a sub-package player for the Chiefs right away and at best will win the No. 2 outside job. He's only competing against the likes of Albert Wilson, Junior Hemingway and Da'Rick Rogers.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 15 - 8:36 AM

Doesn't make much sense, honestly. Conley wasn't even close to being on the bubble, so I'm not sure how his good play pushed Rogers off the roster. KC has a pretty thin WR corps, and cutting a talented guy like Rogers means that there was a bigger issue at hand IMO.

Doesn't make much sense, honestly. Conley wasn't even close to being on the bubble, so I'm not sure how his good play pushed Rogers off the roster. KC has a pretty thin WR corps, and cutting a talented guy like Rogers means that there was a bigger issue at hand IMO.
Maclin and Bowe (even washed up) are a massive improvement on what they've had in the past at WR. If Conley is looking good enough that they think he can be the #3 this year then they don't need to deal with a head case like Rogers.

Maclin and Bowe (even washed up) are a massive improvement on what they've had in the past at WR. If Conley is looking good enough that they think he can be the #3 this year then they don't need to deal with a head case like Rogers.
Bowe is gone bro

Rotoworld:

Chiefs third-round WR Chris Conley exited Wednesday's training camp practice with a strained knee.
He'll likely be on the shelf for at least a handful of days and could miss upwards of a week. Conley is competing for the starting job opposite new No. 1 WR Jeremy Maclin. With 4.35 wheels, Conley would play the old Donnie Avery role.

Source: Adam Teicher on Twitter
Jul 29 - 12:04 PM

Rotoworld:

The Chiefs consider WR Chris Conley (knee) day to day.

Conley straining his knee during the first week of his first NFL training camp isn't a great way to start. The toolsy prospect will have ground to make up on Albert Wilson when he gets healthy.

Related: Albert Wilson

Source: Terez Paylor on Twitter

Jul 30 - 11:38 AM

Rotoworld:

Chiefs WR Chris Conley (knee) returned to practice Monday.

Conley was working with the second team. He certainly has the natural tools to win snaps opposite Jeremy Maclin, but is a poor fit with Alex Smith. Albert Wilson remains the favorite to win the No. 2 wideout job.

Source: Terez Paylor on Twitter
Aug 10 - 10:34 AM

Chiefs third-round WR Chris Conley ran with the starting offense at Monday's practice.
I watched the plays where they threw towards him. Two of them were uncatchable and one would have a been a tough catch. Physically he looks the part and he gets some good separation pushing the defender with his speed and then stopping/settling in or cutting hard inside. I didn't really see him throw any DB's off balance or turn them around but they were giving him lots of cushion. On the PI he drew he didn't have any separation but he did have the defender on his hip. Not sure if he could have made a play on the ball even without the PI.

It's great news if he starts right off the bat. He could be used to loosen up the underneath stuff more than actually being targeted deep much though.

He's just a swing for the fences type prospect imo. Most likely a strike out and never startable this year but this is the type player you keep on the end of your bench. Lots of WR1 traits but is he a football player or just an athlete?

Rotoworld:

Chiefs rookie Chris Conley caught three balls for 38 yards and a touchdown in Thursday night's preseason finale.

Conley's touchdown came from 15 yards out on a skinny post, with Chase Daniel executing a pretty throw against zone coverage. Although straight-linish, Conley has big-play potential and should earn more and more looks with the first team as the Chiefs' season moves forward. He's a clear and present threat to Albert Wilson's starting job across from Jeremy Maclin.

Sep 3 - 10:59 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10432/chris-conley

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said rookie WR Chris Conley is the team's "best post route runner."Conley's TD catch in the preseason finale came on a post. "We noticed that early when he got here," Reid said. "You get into his fourth, fifth step and all of the sudden he's covering a lot of ground and climbing on top of you fast and that helps on that type of a route." Reid added the quarterbacks "have a lot of trust" in the rookie receiver. An explosive athlete with a knack for finding holes in zone, Conley should be the starter opposite Jeremy Maclin sooner rather than later.
These guys never work out for me so I don't know why I even get excited. This offense is death for WR but Conley had one of the best combines of all time. He's a total freak so if he puts it all together look out.

Smith still isn't throwing it deep to him though. lolol

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10432/chris-conley

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said rookie WR Chris Conley is the team's "best post route runner."Conley's TD catch in the preseason finale came on a post. "We noticed that early when he got here," Reid said. "You get into his fourth, fifth step and all of the sudden he's covering a lot of ground and climbing on top of you fast and that helps on that type of a route." Reid added the quarterbacks "have a lot of trust" in the rookie receiver. An explosive athlete with a knack for finding holes in zone, Conley should be the starter opposite Jeremy Maclin sooner rather than later.
These guys never work out for me so I don't know why I even get excited. This offense is death for WR but Conley had one of the best combines of all time. He's a total freak so if he puts it all together look out.

Smith still isn't throwing it deep to him though. lolol
I hear you man. I got him on the cheap in my dynasty league too. But I'm not holding out much hope on that abysmal passing offense.

He's just a swing for the fences type prospect imo. Most likely a strike out and never startable this year but this is the type player you keep on the end of your bench. Lots of WR1 traits but is he a football player or just an athlete?
At least I'm only invested a late 2nd rather than a late 1st like with Stephen Hill. :X :

Rotoworld:

Chiefs rookie WR Chris Conley has been limited to six snaps through two weeks.

Conley played one snap in Thursday night’s loss. He’s buried on the depth chart behind Albert Wilson, De’Anthony Thomas, and Jason Avant. Conley’s snaps should increase as the season moves along.

Source: Kansas City Star

Sep 19 - 8:32 PM

I think that offseason injury all but killed his chances of making much non-special teams impact this year. By the time he healed, he was behind everyone else and at the bottom of the depth chart.

Users who are viewing this thread