What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Chris Conley, Texans (1 Viewer)

Had his first career catch yesterday - went for 16 yards. Also had a big spike in snaps, 35 this game compared to 5 against Houston and 1 against Denver. Might just be due to the fact that KC was playing from behind all game and was using multi-WR sets, but I'm glad he's seeing more action.

He looks the part coming off the line at the snap of the ball. He's big and explosive. Terrible spot for him though. I mean even if he pushed his way into the 3rd option on that offense you can't start him. He's like 2-3 years away from being valuable in FF. Sucks for him.

He looks the part coming off the line at the snap of the ball. He's big and explosive. Terrible spot for him though. I mean even if he pushed his way into the 3rd option on that offense you can't start him. He's like 2-3 years away from being valuable in FF. Sucks for him.
:goodposting:

Unless KC drafts a top tier QB this offseason (which I would love), he'll be an excellent buy-low candidate in a couple years.

bud29 said:
:goodposting:

Unless KC drafts a top tier QB this offseason (which I would love), he'll be an excellent buy-low candidate in a couple years.
I could see him being on FA or waivers by that point. Really like the talent, but I'm already struggling to keep him on my roster of 10 team 25 spots. I want to hold, but it might not be an option.

There are plenty of bad QB's giving great WR's passable weeks of Fantasy Relevance. Conley won't be a target hog but Kelce/Maclin should help open up the passing game, even if Smith is very limited. Conley just needs to get on the field.

On that note, Albert Wilson was limited in practice today. Perhaps an opening for Conley.

Got his first career start today with Wilson out. Final stat line was 7 targets leading to 2 catches for 53 yards. My observations:

The bad: That target:catch ratio is not good, although many of Smith's throwaways were in Conley's direction which inflated his target count. I'd say there were about 3 catchable targets. He had a drop on his first target which stung - hard pass by Smith that was somewhat behind him, but still a pass that an NFL receiver needs to catch. Still seems a bit rough around the edges, not as smooth as I would like to see on some plays.

The good: His athleticism definitely shows. Both of his catches were things of beauty. The long catch-and-run is exactly what I envisioned when we drafted him. Caught the ball in stride and turned on the jets for a huge gain. The second catch was a good hands play (comforting to see after the drop earlier) and also displayed his great jumping. CB right in his face, and he just elevated and plucked the ball out of the air.

Plenty of good things to build on. The Chiefs have plenty of problems, but for the first time in a while, I feel like WR isn't one of them.

Conley was getting open late in the game. I was impressed with Alex Smith actually pushing the ball down the field at times.

Conley was just floating around on my waiver wire today so I figured I'd take a crack at him. Seems like he's going to get his opportunity now with Charles' and Albert Wilson being hurt.

Rotoworld:

Chris Conley secured 6-of-7 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Steelers.

Conley got the start opposite Albert Wilson with Jeremy Maclin (concussion) inactive, and capitalized on his opportunity. He showed big-play ability on a 25-yard downfield catch, also securing a six-yard red-zone score from Alex Smith. A third-round pick in May's draft, Conley is worth monitoring in deeper leagues and rostering in Dynasty settings. Maclin is likely to return in Week 8 against the Lions, rendering Conley no more than a re-draft WR6.

Oct 25 - 4:09 PM

No drops and 6 catches, which is a good thing. I was at the game and he seemed to get open pretty often - Smith almost never looked downfield though, wnich isn't new.

No drops and 6 catches, which is a good thing. I was at the game and he seemed to get open pretty often - Smith almost never looked downfield though, wnich isn't new.
That's Smith. When Kaep took over in San Fran it was like a tale of two pass catchers. Vernon Davis all but disappeared (after starting strong) and Crabtree when nuts (after starting really slow). Smith liked the short, underneath stuff and Kaep liked to sling it. Not sure why I didn't use this information to target Kelce more heavily in my two leagues...

Rotoworld:

Chris Conley - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs OC Doug Pederson plans to get Chris Conley more involved in the offense.

"He's got big play capability and you're starting to see that out of him," Pederson said. "We've got to continue to find ways - not only work him into the game - to get him the football." Conley saw just eight snaps last week, playing behind Albert Wilson and Jason Avant. A situational deep threat, the Chiefs will look to get Conley a bigger role over the final three games.

Source: Nick Jacobs on Twitter

Dec 19 - 7:46 PM

Rotoworld:

Chris Conley caught his lone target for a nine-yard touchdown in the Chiefs' Wild Card win over the Texans.

After Jeremy Maclin went down with a right knee injury in the third quarter, the rookie Conley came in and caught his touchdown a couple plays later. He beat CB Kareem Jackson out of the left slot, and Alex Smith found Conley in the back of the end zone on play-action. With Maclin looking extremely doubtful for the rest of the playoffs, Conley will step into big-time snaps.

Jan 9 - 8:39 PM

Gonna be a huge test for him. HUUUGE shoes to fill, Maclin has obviously been the heart and soul of this WR corps.

Chris Conley got first-team reps opposite Jeremy Maclin at minicamp.
Albert Wilson also rotated in. Kansas City didn’t do much to upgrade opposite Maclin this offseason, adding Rod Streater and fifth-rounder Tyreek Hill. Conley’s the favorite to start, but has limited deep-threat upside with Alex Smith. The Chiefs should remain one of the league's most run-heavy teams.

Source: Topeka Capital-Journal

7/6/63/0 vs Steelers and 9/5/33/0 vs Pats, those were the two games Conley started without Maclin around. It's the offense he's in, I don't see how he ever gets the targets or deep balls to be FF relevant playing with Reid.

7/6/63/0 vs Steelers and 9/5/33/0 vs Pats, those were the two games Conley started without Maclin around. It's the offense he's in, I don't see how he ever gets the targets or deep balls to be FF relevant playing with Reid.
Well said SID.  I'm a big fan of Conley but he's the 4th option (Maclin, Kelce, Charles) in a low volume passing offense.  The guy has skills though.

Chris Conley ran as the Chiefs' first-team X receiver this spring.
Jeremy Maclin is Kansas City's Z receiver, with Albert Wilson moving inside to the slot to replace Jason Avant. Wilson may still start in two-receiver sets, but it was clear late last season that the Chiefs wanted Conley more involved. He scored a touchdown in the team's Wild Card win over Houston and caught five passes in Kansas City's Divisional Round loss to the Patriots. A SPARQ freak at 6-foot-2, 213, Conley has some appeal in best-ball fantasy leagues.

Source: Kansas City Star 
Jul 24 - 2:30 PM

Bid $3 on him in dynasty RFA so now have him. Word is Smith is throwing deep much more, may be worth keeping. 

3 targets, 3 catches and 66 yards in limited action tonight, looking like a legitimate threat out there - much more smooth and comfortable. Squarely in the driver's seat for KC's WR2 job.

Pretty nice 37-yarder

I like him too but the #2 in KC won't matter much this year.......
Right, I wouldn't give him too much thought in redrafts. I think he could have a very good season for a KC WR2, but that doesn't set the bar very high. Dynasty buy/hold.

Chris Conley caught 3-of-3 targets for 66 yards in the Chiefs' second preseason game against the Rams.
Conley ran as the starter opposite Jeremy Maclin in two-wide sets Saturday. He's been working as the X receiver all summer, with Maclin at the Z. Conley beat Rams No. 1 CB Trumaine Johnson a pair of times, and one came on third-and-two that Conley turned into a 37-yard gain by running right by Johnson. Conley will be inconsistent on a weekly basis, but he's a strong best-ball pick.

Aug 20 - 11:21 PM

Chris Conley hauled in 2-of-5 targets for 30 yards in the Chiefs' third preseason game Saturday.
It was not an efficient day for Conley, but he again clearly worked as the No. 2 receiver behind Jeremy Maclin. That role is unlikely to net much fantasy value, but Conley would be very interesting if something happened to Maclin. He finishes the preseason with five catches for 96 yards.

Aug 27 - 3:21 PM

I've held him for this long, now I'm excited again for him to get more production.  Hopefully it comes and from what I remember just from watching him every once in a while, he did look better.  Maybe this is the year?  Who knows, but this is the 2nd year he's made my short list of guys to target and trade for.  Perfect guy to stash and hope. 

I've held him for this long, now I'm excited again for him to get more production.  Hopefully it comes and from what I remember just from watching him every once in a while, he did look better.  Maybe this is the year?  Who knows, but this is the 2nd year he's made my short list of guys to target and trade for.  Perfect guy to stash and hope. 
I drafted him as a flier and finally could see some returns. Elite speed and tall, but weighed like 190 coming out of college. Surprised to see him at 213 now but that's what I hoped for. 

Notes and reactions from Week 1 of Chiefs OTAs

Excerpt:

Receiver Chris Conley usually stands out in practice, so this isn’t surprising. I’d like to see him utilized in a bigger role on offense with his size (6-foot-2) and speed (4.35-second 40-yard dash), but he has yet to break out.
The quoted commentary is in reference to pictures (in the linked article) of Conley making an acrobatic one handed catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is gonna be interesting. Do they sign a player like Boldin for cheaper? 

Lets put it another way. Would a team that is a playoff contender cut its WR1 because of money if they didnt have confidence in someone else? Hill is not a pure WR1, he will get more opportunities but he is not a guy built to withstand 120 targets. He could be the guy they want to make a #1, but we see guys like him in size not do it justice. Wilson has had his chance and they did draft Chesson. The guy who gains the most is Conley since Hill was already getting his.

If anyone takes Gronk over Kelce now, knowing Gronk will get hurt in a matter of minutes, doesn't really want the #1 Te then. Kelce could see 140-150 targets. 

I drafted him as a flier and finally could see some returns. Elite speed and tall, but weighed like 190 coming out of college. Surprised to see him at 213 now but that's what I hoped for. 
I think you might have him mixed up with another guy. 213 was Conley's combine weight.

I think you might have him mixed up with another guy. 213 was Conley's combine weight.
You're right, I had his size/weight mixed up with Tajae sharpe (194). 

This is gonna be interesting. Do they sign a player like Boldin for cheaper? 

Lets put it another way. Would a team that is a playoff contender cut its WR1 because of money if they didnt have confidence in someone else? Hill is not a pure WR1, he will get more opportunities but he is not a guy built to withstand 120 targets. He could be the guy they want to make a #1, but we see guys like him in size not do it justice. Wilson has had his chance and they did draft Chesson. The guy who gains the most is Conley since Hill was already getting his.

If anyone takes Gronk over Kelce now, knowing Gronk will get hurt in a matter of minutes, doesn't really want the #1 Te then. Kelce could see 140-150 targets. 
What's wrong with his size? Yes a championship contender would cut an underperforming cap hit. New England does it all the time, and its after June 1 which is when those kind of cuts get made. 

The chefs are in pretty bad shape cap wise, and maclin has regressed it seems and was overpaid. KC may take a step back while they add some youth to the roster and fix their cap issues. Smith will likely be moving on for the same reason next year (whether mahomes is ready or not). 

You're right, I had his size/weight mixed up with Tajae sharpe (194). 

What's wrong with his size? Yes a championship contender would cut an underperforming cap hit. New England does it all the time, and its after June 1 which is when those kind of cuts get made. 

The chefs are in pretty bad shape cap wise, and maclin has regressed it seems and was overpaid. KC may take a step back while they add some youth to the roster and fix their cap issues. Smith will likely be moving on for the same reason next year (whether mahomes is ready or not). 
First, dont ever compare another team to what NE does if you want to be taken seriously.  ;)

Second, he is small, cant be disputed, he is a small WR not built for 120+ targets. Can he produce with the targets he gets, clearly, but he is not built to sustain all those hits across the middle. Sure you can point to exceptions, but it isnt the rule. 

First, dont ever compare another team to what NE does if you want to be taken seriously.  ;)

Second, he is small, cant be disputed, he is a small WR not built for 120+ targets. Can he produce with the targets he gets, clearly, but he is not built to sustain all those hits across the middle. Sure you can point to exceptions, but it isnt the rule. 
6'2" 213 is small? Hes not huge but that seems in the ballpark. Am I missing something?

Lots if teams release vets, NE just seems to do it all the time. Post June 1st cuts happen all the time, this one came out of left field but business is business.

6'2" 213 is small? Hes not huge but that seems in the ballpark. Am I missing something?

Lots if teams release vets, NE just seems to do it all the time. Post June 1st cuts happen all the time, this one came out of left field but business is business.
He must be talking about Tyreek

Ahhh, confusion. I said Hill was small, I'm talking about Hills size to not be a #!. Conley I believe has the size. Misunderstanding. That explains it. 

Chris Conley will be the Chiefs' starting X receiver following Jeremy Maclin's release.

The "X" in Andy Reid's offense is a possession role, whereas the Z (Tyreek Hill) is the featured position with deeper route responsibilities. Conley did reveal he has received reps at Z in recent OTAs, perhaps a sign he won't be pigeonholed as a possession receiver. Conley profiled nothing like a possession receiver coming out of Georgia in 2015. He averaged 18.3 yards per catch as a senior and blazed 4.35 at 6-foot-2, 213 during the NFL Combine.

Source: Kansas City Star

Jun 7 - 8:11 PM

The problem here is Smith LOVES the TE and WR's don't do much. When they switched from Smith to Kaep, Vernon Davis dropped like a rock and Crabtree went nuts. Kelce is going to kick some ### again this year, but I don't expect much from any of their WR's and I own Conley

The problem here is Smith LOVES the TE and WR's don't do much. When they switched from Smith to Kaep, Vernon Davis dropped like a rock and Crabtree went nuts. Kelce is going to kick some ### again this year, but I don't expect much from any of their WR's and I own Conley
Pretty much. You have to hold and hope for Mahomes to take over in 2018.

Pretty much. You have to hold and hope for Mahomes to take over in 2018.
I'm not a big Mahomes fan, and that's not what I'm hoping happens.  I'm waiting for a change of scenery and if Mahomes happens to be that change, then so be it and I'll deal with it. 

i'm hearing comparisons to Josh Gordon, the player, not the character.

Can someone who knows about this guy confirm he's that type of player.

i'm hearing comparisons to Josh Gordon, the player, not the character.

Can someone who knows about this guy confirm he's that type of player.
I held him for a few years from a FA pickup... dropped him this year for the rookie draft.  He was a combine monster: 4.35 40, 7.06 3-cone, 45 vert, 18 reps on bench.  And 6'2, 213lbs... good prototype.  He seemed to run good routes in college... but the production was never there.

I pretty much agree with anyone who points out that Alex Smith sucks.  Alex Smith literally cannot throw an out route.  I was pretty amazed that Maclin was able to carry Smith to a 1,000 yard season for a WR 2 years back.  

So even with Maclin getting released... I'd probably pass on spending another year waiting for something to change in the better for Conley.

Users who are viewing this thread