What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Terrace Marshall Jr, Panthers - making plays at training camp (1 Viewer)

He was talking about the foot surgery in 2019. Had knee scope in January of this year. Then crushed his pro day. IDK. The reporting has been pretty strange. 

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag because I haven't drafted yet. But he's a Top 5 WR prospect in this class. Poor man's Andre Johnson.

This year's Chase Claypool. Book it. New regime in Carolina is bringing in "their guys" and I guess he dropped due to injury. You watch the tape and it's clear the kid can play. But don't go around yapping to everybody about it...

I don't have DJ Moore anywhere but he is at the top of my sell now list. CMC and Marshall will be the top 2 targets by seasons end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers signed second-round WR Terrace Marshall.

Marshall (6'2/205) played out wide with Vikings first-rounder Justin Jefferson and classmate Ja'Marr Chase in Joe Brady's National Championship offense in 2019, leading the country in contested catch rate (82%) and nearly matching Jefferson in receptions (21-20) until the former was injured and forced to miss three games. Marshall was moved into the slot without either in 2020 and led the Tigers in receiving (48/731/10) despite opting out after seven games. A salivating archetype with flat 4.4 straight-line speed, Marshall holds one of the highest ceilings among his class since he's already proven he can win from any alignment. He'll be 21 years old throughout his rookie year and is still expected to immediately start in Carolina's 11 personnel.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Jun 17, 2021, 9:35 AM ET

The Athletic's Joseph Person reported Thursday that Terrace Marshall is a candidate to replace Curtis Samuel in the slot.

On Thursday, Marshall reportedly shined in camp, showcasing his catch radius and making big catches. Given his 4.4 speed and 6'3" 201 pound frame, Marshall could make sense as an outside deep threat. However, in 2020 Terrace Marshall played the Justin Jefferson slot role in the LSU offense, accounting for 39% of receiving yards and 38% of receiving TDs. It's possible that Carolina views the slot as his NFL fit. If so, a "big slot" role in the Panthers offense would be great news for his PPR fantasy value this season.

RELATED: 

D.J. Moore

, Robby Anderson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 29, 2021, 3:26 PM ET

I'm not sure I understand putting a 6'3 guy in the slot.
I don't understand it, either, but it might be good for him if Darnold is throwing him the ball for the next two years or so. Darnold loved him some TEs and Crowder during his tenure with the Jets. 

Who knows, really, what these guys are all thinking or whether these reports and subsequent parsing are remotely accurate?

Total mismatch. Just like why teams put Kelce or Waller in the slot. Too big for safeties or nickel corners, too fast for LBs. Plus they have 2 established vets who can play outside. Putting a rookie in the slot (like Dallas did with Lamb) can help ease the transition to the NFL. He won't have to worry about lining up 1 on 1 with Lattimore who can jam him at the line. 

I think it could be for a few reasons.

Mismatches, as stated above.

Easier to pick up the offense from the slot, less packages to overwhelm a rookie.

DJM and Robby might actually just suck from the slot.

I get Kelce in the slot. It's not very different than having a TE in-line, imo.

I "get" why you would try it, but the guy forecasts to be an outside receiver. Seems like he's out of place in the slot, taking opportunity from an actual slot guy.

There's a lot I fear about Marshall as a defender, but his lateral speed is not one of them. I just think it's bad coaching.

Fitzgerald went to the slot once he got old. Colston was drafted as a TE so makes sense as a big slot. Lamb did admirably, but I contest that he's not very much of a slot guy either.

As an owner, I should just be happy he's in line for snaps. 😂

Good points. Lamb, who had elite success on 9 routes last season, should be on the boundary.

The other side of the coin is sometimes coaches use a big slot to give a good YAC guy layups and find a way to get the ball in his hands. Good examples of that are Cooper Kupp (6’2” 208) and Michael Thomas (6’3” 212.) Kupp has has seasons with over 600 Slot snaps, while Thomas - you guys remember when he used to be healthy - lines up there ~ 30% of the time but it accounts for 45% of his targets.

In general, though, boundary snaps are going to result in higher value deep targets, and obviously you would prefer that for the guy you own.

I get Kelce in the slot. It's not very different than having a TE in-line, imo.

I "get" why you would try it, but the guy forecasts to be an outside receiver. Seems like he's out of place in the slot, taking opportunity from an actual slot guy.

There's a lot I fear about Marshall as a defender, but his lateral speed is not one of them. I just think it's bad coaching.

Fitzgerald went to the slot once he got old. Colston was drafted as a TE so makes sense as a big slot. Lamb did admirably, but I contest that he's not very much of a slot guy either.

As an owner, I should just be happy he's in line for snaps. 😂
I don’t think he is going to be in the slot his whole career. Probably just this year to help him transition. Plus it’s where the offense needs help. He played slot a lot in college so it’s not a new role for him either. But yeah like you said I’m just glad he’s getting on the field. 

Panthers players who have stood out the most at every position in training camp

Excerpt:

Terrace Marshall Jr.

Is it a surprise that the Panthers’ second-round pick has already become a player to watch? Not really. While Marshall’s participation in OTAs and minicamp was limited due to injuries sustained in college, offensive coordinator Joe Brady’s familiarity with the LSU receiver seemed like a recipe for success. He made plenty of big plays early in practice and has been a starter throughout camp.

“We’re trying to force-feed Terrace and bring him along as fast as we can,” Rhule said. 

Brady is carving out a specific role for the wideout to focus on and the 6-foot-2, 200-pound receiver will need to continue to develop before the season. But he should have a key role in the offense.

That was one of the least impressive 60 yard catches I have ever seen. That statement however does not take away anything from what the player could become.

Hah, I kind of thought the same and was surprised he got caught. I think he's a pretty fast guy; with a pretty solid cushion and no one in front of him it seems like that should've gone the distance.

NBD though, it's preseason.

Another strong showing last night.  Got into the endzone.  Pre-season, sure.  But he's looked great.  He's a solid late round lotto ticket WR, but love love love him in dynasty.  I'm picking at 12 in 2 leagues and he's probably my 1st round target at that point assuming nothing crazy happens on the prior picks.

Terrace Marshall caught 3-of-4 targets for 43 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' preseason finale against the Steelers.

Marshall has been electric this preseason, and he picked up right where he had left off with a touchdown on Friday night. Reports out of training camp have indicated he is the frontrunner for the WR3 job behind D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson, and his performance this August has only solidified that notion. It's easy to make a bull case for Marshall based on his size and draft capital, but don't go crazy with him since he's still behind Moore, Anderson, and Christian McCaffrey in the pecking order. With that being said, he's a strong option in the double-digit rounds.

Another strong showing last night.  Got into the endzone.  Pre-season, sure.  But he's looked great.  He's a solid late round lotto ticket WR, but love love love him in dynasty.  I'm picking at 12 in 2 leagues and he's probably my 1st round target at that point assuming nothing crazy happens on the prior picks.
I just got him at 12 today. Very happy and using this to :blackdot:  the thread

Have a rookie draft that started today.  Took over a contending team that needed serious WR depth more than anything.  Got Waddle @ 1.10.  Traded my 2022 1st and this year's 3.10 for the 2.01 when Marshall fell there.  Very happy with my decision.

Have a rookie draft that started today.  Took over a contending team that needed serious WR depth more than anything.  Got Waddle @ 1.10.  Traded my 2022 1st and this year's 3.10 for the 2.01 when Marshall fell there.  Very happy with my decision.
I make this kind of trade all the time (2-5 times per year on average) to get future 1sts but I don't think I could have with Marshall on the board.

I did almost the same exact thing in may. I was able to keep the third though!

He will likely overtake number one status by end of season. But it will take most of the season for him in my opinion. 

I offered him my 2022 1st straight up and he took your deal instead with the 3.10. I was taking Marshall too. Great minds think alike. LOL!

I offered him my 2022 1st straight up and he took your deal instead with the 3.10. I was taking Marshall too. Great minds think alike. LOL!
It’s that good Colorado living.  I live in Denver.  

I actually through that 3.10 in there as I thought that would entice him a little more.  Glad he didn’t counter for my 2nd. 

6 targets in his first NFL game ever, at least worth a mention here.  Definitely involved in the offense, this may not be his breakout week but seems like he may be flying under the radar a bit.

Terrace Marshall caught 4-of-5 targets for 48 yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Texans. 

Playing four days after drawing to a production standstill with Brandon Zylstra, Marshall drew the second most looks in the Panthers' receiver corps as he posted the best compiling totals of his young NFL career. Marshall certainly looks the part, but D.J. Moore is dominating targets while Robby Anderson is bound to see more of them after drawing only 12 through three games. Perhaps Christian McCaffrey's (hamstring) likely multi-week absence will create more overall volume in the passing game, but there isn't much of a WR4 case for Marshall even ahead of a likely Week 4 shootout with the Cowboys. That being said, Jourdan Lewis has been struggling in the slot for Dallas. 

Sep 24, 2021, 12:13 AM ET

I really bought in to training camp and preseason.  Terrace profiles well and Curtis Samuel had a very nice season last year in this offense but its just not happening yet.  Only path I see is a Robby or DJ injury at this point.  Maybe a nice game here or there but probably nothing bankable week to week.

Has everyone cut bait in redraft?

I really bought in to training camp and preseason.  Terrace profiles well and Curtis Samuel had a very nice season last year in this offense but its just not happening yet.  Only path I see is a Robby or DJ injury at this point.  Maybe a nice game here or there but probably nothing bankable week to week.

I bid him adieu two weeks ago. I don’t think he will have much value until maybe the second half of the year when darnold really settles into the offense 

Best case when CMC gets back is that he’s the #4 option in that offense behind Moore, CMC, and Anderson.  I don’t think Carolina can support a #4 pass catcher as a viable Fantasy option.  

He had the longshot potential to be the #1 in this offense in the next few years but DJ Moore took offense to that and is scorching earth lol. DJ Moore also took offense to Robby's contract lol

He wants to get paid 

Same here.   I thought he had a chance to make some noise in redraft this year.   I still think he could, but I don't know if it will be worth the wait.   Attempted to drop him for Lance before the 3pm games in my 14-team / 6 bench redraft, but the transaction didn't go through.   

11 targets for Robbie this week.   He didn't do much with them.   Before that it almost seemed fair to wonder if he had passed him for the #2, but probably not with that contract.

Letting Marshall go is probably the way to go, but I will definitely be bidding a fairly large chunk of FAAB if Anderson or Moore go down.   I could easily talk myself into letting things play out for the duration that CMC is out and seeing if the breakthrough comes (or an injury).

Users who are viewing this thread