What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty ROOKIE Draft: 2012 Rankings (1 Viewer)

Richardson is a monster. I think he's instantly a top 3 dynasty RB along with Rice and McCoy. He is a better looking prospect than they were entering the league, but he might not end up in such a friendly system. One nice thing about him is that he can catch the ball well out of the backfield, so he has PPR potential that a player like Ingram never really possessed.
Of course he was a better looking prospect than Rice and McCoy. Thats the point, none of those backs have performed better than Rice and McCoy. All of these 'expert grades' dont mean crap.I would love to see ANY poster who was saying Ingram wasnt 'instantly a top 3 synasty prospect'.
There were TONS of people on this board that thought Ingram was decent, but not a stud. TONS.

Richardson is a monster. I think he's instantly a top 3 dynasty RB along with Rice and McCoy. He is a better looking prospect than they were entering the league, but he might not end up in such a friendly system. One nice thing about him is that he can catch the ball well out of the backfield, so he has PPR potential that a player like Ingram never really possessed.
Of course he was a better looking prospect than Rice and McCoy. Thats the point, none of those backs have performed better than Rice and McCoy. All of these 'expert grades' dont mean crap.I would love to see ANY poster who was saying Ingram wasnt 'instantly a top 3 synasty prospect'.
There were TONS of people on this board that thought Ingram was decent, but not a stud. TONS.
Add to that, I am one that thought and still thinks Ingram will be very good, but I dont recall seeing ANYONE say he was 'instantly a top 3 dynasty prospect'.

Also, when talking about dynasty leagues, raw VBD can only go so far. A RB that is projected to get a lion's share of the carries and has a solid health history gets a bump in value that isn't measured by raw VBD. You also have to take roster spots into consideration. The more elite RB options you have, the less roster space needed for lottery tickets at the position. LeSean McCoy was worth more than any QB this year, even if raw VBD suggests otherwise.
Like Moreno and Ingram?Regarding McCoy, yes the #1 scoring RB is worth more than any QB ... OF COURSE. The question is, how do you know who this years McCoy is in the draft?

link plz

link plz
Do your own research. Use the search function. He's absolutely right--the Shark Pool, other than the one HOF thread which was panned, has been very conservative, and even negative, on Ingram.

link plz
The link is the Shark Pool. Go look at any link discussing last year's prospects. You're the one making ridiculous comments. I don't need to do your homework for you.

Like Moreno and Ingram?Regarding McCoy, yes the #1 scoring RB is worth more than any QB ... OF COURSE. The question is, how do you know who this years McCoy is in the draft?
What are you trying to suggest? That there have been busts at the RB spot? "OF COURSE" there have been. Your point, please?

I don't think anybody had Ingram as a top dynasty prospect. Personally I didn't have him in my top 50. I am not sure why you remember Ingram being a top 3 guy. I really doubt he ever went in the top 20 in any startup.

'Multiple Scores said:
'JAA said:
I don't think anybody had Ingram as a top dynasty prospect. Personally I didn't have him in my top 50. I am not sure why you remember Ingram being a top 3 guy. I really doubt he ever went in the top 20 in any startup.
He went 17 in the one startup I did last year. Which, if I remember all of my other startups correctly, is typical for the consensus top rookie back. People liked Ingram the way they liked Moreno and Mathews. And even McFadden. You have to go back to ADP to find someone with as much hype as Richardson. And Richardson probably has more "can't miss" love (iirc, ADP had toughness/injury concerns - and didn't Waldman rank Lynch over ADP, too?) In fact, Richardson has more "can't miss" comments than I can recall ever hearing for anyone else. It's hard to find someone who doesn't love the guy as a prospect.

Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions.

Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.

Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions. Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
Unless it's a start 2 qb league you shouldn't take a QB early in dynasty drafts unless the cubbard is completely bare and I mean completely. Most rookie drafts will go 1.01 - Richardson, 1.02 - Blackmon (even though I have my doubts about him), 1.03 - 1.07 (some order of Doug Martin, Michael Floyd, Luck, RG3, Lamar Miller, and David Wilson).

I disagree with the above post. If in a league that does not start 2 qbs, I see nothing wrong with taking a stud qb prospect like Luck or Griffin in top 4. Especially if all tds are 6 points. Super stud qbs are helping teams win championships. Why pass on the chance if you need a qb and tbink a bonafide perrenial top 5 is there for the taking?

If "you have your doubts" about Blackmon, you have to take a guy you don't have doubts about, even if it's at a less premium position. What are the chances Luck offers VBD at QB? Pretty high (Matt Ryan has, and that seems to be the floor). What are the chances Blackmon offers VBD at WR? A bit more of a risk IMO.

Sure, Luck and RG3 are "safer" picks, but I also think they need to become studs in order to justify the pick. RBs or WRs really only need to end up being in the top 24 at RB or 36 at WR in most leagues to be an every-week starter. I really like Luck and Griffin, but there is just about no margin for error there. If they don't become top 5, it was a waste. One of those RBs or WRs is more likely to bust, sure, but they don't need to become studs to become very valuable on your fantasy team.

Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions. Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
also depends on where Martin and co (2nd tier RBs) land . . . have to wait until the end of the game - right now, it's still halftime.

Who's the top back after Richardson? I hear so many different opinions. Some say Doug Martin is heads and shoulders above the others and then another scout says David Wilson is the man. What's the consensus?

Unless it's a start 2 qb league you shouldn't take a QB early in dynasty drafts unless the cubbard is completely bare and I mean completely. Most rookie drafts will go 1.01 - Richardson, 1.02 - Blackmon (even though I have my doubts about him), 1.03 - 1.07 (some order of Doug Martin, Michael Floyd, Luck, RG3, Lamar Miller, and David Wilson).
Strangely I agree with Johnny u except I would add Kendall wright to that mix to make 1.3-1.9If u want a QB at 2 trade down a few spots and maximize value

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's the top back after Richardson? I hear so many different opinions. Some say Doug Martin is heads and shoulders above the others and then another scout says David Wilson is the man. What's the consensus?
The consensus is that...there is no consensus.I like Doug Martin because of his all-around game. He might not be amazing, but he's a starting caliber RB with no weaknesses. With the other guys, there are at least one or two little things that make me uneasy.

The consensus is that...there is no consensus.I like Doug Martin because of his all-around game. He might not be amazing, but he's a starting caliber RB with no weaknesses. With the other guys, there are at least one or two little things that make me uneasy.
Related question... How much better do you think Richardson is compared to Martin, your second ranked RB?

What's the word on Miller and Wilson in pass protection? I know Martin can do it. But if the other two struggle it could severely limit their playing time.

There does seem to be a consensus and it's Lamar Miller. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=637234&st=

Related question... How much better do you think Richardson is compared to Martin, your second ranked RB?
Martin is a fine prospect, but there are prospects of his caliber in the draft every year. Trent is arguably the top talent in this years class.

I think Turbin compares favorably to Ryan Mathews and should be in that mix as the #2 back off the board depending on his landing spot.

Richardson is a significant cut above the other RBs available this year. After him there is no consensus #2, but there is a good group of runners at the second tier that could all do well in the NFL, and for your fantasy team, particularly depending on where they get drafted. Here's a good list of fantasy rookie RB rankings (credit to these specific rankings goes to Josh Norris of Rotoworld) based on physical ability and current development:

[*]Trent Richardson

[*]Doug Martin

[*]Chris Polk

[*]Lamar Miller

[*]David Wilson

[*]Isaiah Pead

[*]Bernard Pierce

[*]LaMichael James

[*]Robert Turbin

I would say that Martin, Polk, Miller, and Wilson could all switch places in fantasy rankings depending on where they get drafted. After that you have Pead, Pierce, and James of similar rank. I included Turbin because the previous poster thought highly of him. I'm not saying he could never do well at the NFL level, but he won't be one of the first seven RBs drafted in the NFL.

There does seem to be a consensus and it's Lamar Miller. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=637234&st=
Fantasy value vs. individual value is not the same thing

A sleeper to be an everydown back is Bobby Rainey. Can run between the tackles and catch passes. Also lines up in the slot at times. I like him better than James and Hillman.

Yes I know. I was asking about fantasy value but I didn't make that clear. The consensus of this one particular poll was lamar miller but I prefer Doug Martin myself.

Much better. I like Martin. He is a very solid player who should step in and become a productive NFL starter early in his career. If he lands on a good enough team, there's really no reason why he can't contend for top rookie status in terms of FF production. I think he has that instant Matt Forte type of potential. Richardson is on another level though. I think he's a Ricky Williams/Edgerrin James type of back. Not necessarily the best home run hitter, but just a rare specimen with a complete game. He is the best back I have seen since I started following the draft closely. Peterson was more dynamic, but Trent has a more compact build and is better in the receiving game.

Yes I know. I was asking about fantasy value but I didn't make that clear. The consensus of this one particular poll was lamar miller but I prefer Doug Martin myself.
I disagree. I think the most complete back after Richardson is Wilson. I can see how all these guys fall in one group though. Talent isn't much different between all of them besides Richardson and if one player lands in a better spot than the other that back can easily become one of the top playmakers for fantasy purposes.

I grade guys on my own 10 point system based on video I can find online which is mostly highlight reels...but I watch a lot of them and try to pick out strengths and weaknesses as best I can. Here's my summed up evals..just my opinions of course:

1. Trent Richardson - 9 - Power, quickness, great vision, great all-around back, no easily visible weaknesses

2. David Wilson - 8 - Fast, strong, elusive, good vision, insanely athletic; may be susceptible to injury

3. Lamar Miller - 7 - Elite speed on the field, very good in every other facet, ran through a lot of big holes so tough to judge his vision & strength

4. LaMichael James - 7 - Great quickness; good hands; good speed; doesn't break many tackles; Reminds of Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles type player

5. Doug Martin - 6.5 - Really good at everything; very quick feet; good enough speed; I like him a lot, but he's not explosive like the top 4 can be

6. Chris Polk - 6 - Good all-around back; strong runner but not very fast; bounces off his own blockers a lot; Reminds of Clinton Portis

Keep in mind that there isn't much film of RBs blocking ability...so I have to go on what others say in that area. (There may be film somewhere to look at and I'd love to see it if anyone knows where to find it.)

I grade guys on my own 10 point system based on video I can find online which is mostly highlight reels...but I watch a lot of them and try to pick out strengths and weaknesses as best I can. Here's my summed up evals..just my opinions of course:

1. Trent Richardson - 9 - Power, quickness, great vision, great all-around back, no easily visible weaknesses

2. David Wilson - 8 - Fast, strong, elusive, good vision, insanely athletic; may be susceptible to injury

3. Lamar Miller - 7 - Elite speed on the field, very good in every other facet, ran through a lot of big holes so tough to judge his vision & strength

4. LaMichael James - 7 - Great quickness; good hands; good speed; doesn't break many tackles; Reminds of Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles type player

5. Doug Martin - 6.5 - Really good at everything; very quick feet; good enough speed; I like him a lot, but he's not explosive like the top 4 can be

6. Chris Polk - 6 - Good all-around back; strong runner but not very fast; bounces off his own blockers a lot; Reminds of Clinton Portis

Keep in mind that there isn't much film of RBs blocking ability...so I have to go on what others say in that area. (There may be film somewhere to look at and I'd love to see it if anyone knows where to find it.)
Poor vision seems to be the biggest knock on Wilson.

I would NEVER pick a QB with the 1.2 unless it was a 2 QB start league.

LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly.

Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.

to each his own.
I agree. Top Quarterbacks like Rodgers won a lot of leagues last season.

LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly. Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.
LaMike ran mostly out of shotgun and to the outside. He can't run inside at all. Charles was a much better inside runner and had better strength and balance in college.

I know this is gonna take some heat, and I dont have much proof but there is something about Richardson that just doesn't do it for me. Yeah he's good, and the best back this draft, but I dont see him as this can't miss talent. He is a beast in the gym and an athletic freak. I can't put my finger on it, but I think he really needs to fall in the right situation.

I know this is gonna take some heat, and I dont have much proof but there is something about Richardson that just doesn't do it for me. Yeah he's good, and the best back this draft, but I dont see him as this can't miss talent. He is a beast in the gym and an athletic freak. I can't put my finger on it, but I think he really needs to fall in the right situation.
To each his own.

LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly. Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.
:goodposting: i really like laMike in today's nfl. there is a niche for the smaller guys and i think he can find his place... i'll take the shifty/twitchy change of pace guys over the all around guys or huge plodders. i like the home run chance over the grind it out guys because we're slowly moving away from that imo.re: the wright stuff (this kind of plays into my alshon jeffery rants as of late as well... lol) what is going on?? i know he looks fast on tape but how can you not put on a show for your future suitors? it's strange to me. you make a great point. jeffery has been hounded all year for putting on weight and being slow/lazy. he's done all he can to fix that over the off season and it's going to be wait and see from here on out... there's obviously 2 sides to this but the wright observations just go to show how a bit of motivation can mix things up.

:goodposting: i really like laMike in today's nfl. there is a niche for the smaller guys and i think he can find his place... i'll take the shifty/twitchy change of pace guys over the all around guys or huge plodders. i like the home run chance over the grind it out guys because we're slowly moving away from that imo.re: the wright stuff (this kind of plays into my alshon jeffery rants as of late as well... lol) what is going on?? i know he looks fast on tape but how can you not put on a show for your future suitors? it's strange to me. you make a great point. jeffery has been hounded all year for putting on weight and being slow/lazy. he's done all he can to fix that over the off season and it's going to be wait and see from here on out... there's obviously 2 sides to this but the wright observations just go to show how a bit of motivation can mix things up.
Just some added recent info on Jeffery from Sigmund Bloom's twitter yesterday, "Heard from scout that his team had Alshon Jefffery at 4.56 and 4.53. Slower than reported, but still help his stock"https://twitter.com/#!/SigmundBloom/status/185035280624001025

He's not flashy and that may be a problem for some. But his technique is near flawless. Under control, feet under him, little wasted movement, shoulders square.

He's not flashy and that may be a problem for some. But his technique is near flawless. Under control, feet under him, little wasted movement, shoulders square.
And for such a big guy, he has great hands and ability to adjust to the ball as a receiver out of the backfield. He's an every down back at a time when there are very few of them left in the league.

'TheLurkerBelow said:
'werdnoynek said:
'EBF said:
Just some added recent info on Jeffery from Sigmund Bloom's twitter yesterday, "Heard from scout that his team had Alshon Jefffery at 4.56 and 4.53. Slower than reported, but still help his stock"https://twitter.com/#!/SigmundBloom/status/185035280624001025
definitely the norm for pro days... there were others who had him at 4.38 :shrug: i hope in the future it becomes an automated process and there will be no question... until then 40 times will never be officially official.

'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'Rhetoric said:

Poor vision seems to be the biggest knock on Wilson.
I'll be the first to admit that I watch highlight reels and you don't see many of those plays where these guys are losing yardage. So it's not the best evaluation process. But I do also read as many scouting reports as I can. I honestly don't remember reading many that say he has Poor Vision. Some say he has excellent vision, some say it's good but he has a tendency to want to bounce things outside to use his speed. From what I've seen, I gave him a "good" because in the highlights, you can see his vision at work, but it's not on the level of Trent Richardson. One problem I've read on Wilson is that he doesn't setup his blocks well. And that's a typical problem for RBs with speed. They're in a hurry to get to that second level. So I would say his problem may be a lack of Patience as opposed to Poor Vision. But you can find guys going both ways on this subject. The other hits I hear are that the holes inside are going to be a lot smaller than he's used to, and his pass blocking needs work because he didn't do a whole lot of it in college. These are adjustments he'll have to make.

I think his biggest problem is he's got that "Barry Sanders mentality". NOT that he's Barry Sanders. Just that he wants to make a big play every time he touches the ball and ends up losing yardage trying to make it happen.

'az_prof said:
Not that I disagree, but I think you WILL see it a lot this year. There are a lot of people enamoured in what Cam Newton did last season and I suspect it will continue.

'TheLurkerBelow said:
'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'Devine Intervention said:
And for such a big guy, he has great hands and ability to adjust to the ball as a receiver out of the backfield. He's an every down back at a time when there are very few of them left in the league.
Maybe that is what makes me nervous about him. He doesnt seem like a homerun hitter. You dont see alot of full time powerfull backs like him used these days. To add to that, he will take a beating. If he ends up somewhere like Cleveland I think that it will be a good fit, but end up somewhere where its more of that spread style offense that is going around he might fall into the same trap as Ingram.

'az_prof said:
Not that I disagree, but I think you WILL see it a lot this year. There are a lot of people enamoured in what Cam Newton did last season and I suspect it will continue.
I agree. The fantasy landscape is changing, it's not so much about having stud RBs, there are so few 'every down' backs in the league now days you can't afford to base your approach on that strategy all the time. Having a QB who puts up massive points every week is now the most reliable way to ensure good scores. Any unlike in years past where the sixth best QB's point production wasn't that far away from the third's, and it made more sense to have a top tier RB, that's no longer the case. Elite passers are far outpacing the middle of the pack.

'az_prof said:
I agree. The fantasy landscape is changing, it's not so much about having stud RBs, there are so few 'every down' backs in the league now days you can't afford to base your approach on that strategy all the time. Having a QB who puts up massive points every week is now the most reliable way to ensure good scores. Any unlike in years past where the sixth best QB's point production wasn't that far away from the third's, and it made more sense to have a top tier RB, that's no longer the case. Elite passers are far outpacing the middle of the pack.
Having an elite QB is great, but the odds are about 50% that one of the top QB's drafted will be a complete bust. Roughly 25% will be an average (Flacco) or above average (Matt Ryan) QB. The other 25% are your elite QB's (Newton, Stafford, Rodgers, Brees) who command top value. IMO you're much better off packaging the 1.02 with another player/pick to trade for an elite QB.

Users who are viewing this thread