What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles make deal with Gaffney (1 Viewer)

Sunday@1

Footballguy
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14108715.htm

This seems like a Eagles type of signing since he is 25 y/o and relatively low cost. It could be a steal if he blossoms under McNabb. I haven't seem much of him but maybe Houston homers can fill in.

"Birds make deal with Gaffney

The Eagles added a starting wide receiver last night when they agreed to a one-year deal with unrestricted free agent Jabar Gaffney, who started 50 of 64 games during his four seasons with the Houston Texans."

:X :wall: Darnerian McCants + Jabar Gaffney all but confirms what I've been saying [unfortunately]. That the Eagles are, once again, content to go with guys like Brown, Lewis and Pinkston and don't view WR as a major position of need.

not a bad move if we also got moulds

but imho i don't have faith in the FO anymore.

mccants = whoopie

garcia = couldnt cut it in cleveland or detriot

can't wait for the draft to give my wtf face when they pick

Posted on Thu, Mar. 16, 2006

Birds make deal with Gaffney

The Eagles added a starting wide receiver last night when they agreed to a one-year deal with unrestricted free agent Jabar Gaffney, who started 50 of 64 games during his four seasons with the Houston Texans.

Details of the deal were not immediately available. It remains to be seen if he will move into the starting lineup with the Eagles, who also have receivers Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis, Billy McMullen and Darnerien McCants on the roster. McCants also signed a one-year deal yesterday.

Gaffney, 25, is the cousin of Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard, and the two played together at the University of Florida. Gaffney and Sheppard were drafted in 2002, with Sheppard going in the first round to the Eagles and Gaffney going with the first pick of the second round to the Texans. Gaffney's father, Derrick, also played in the NFL, spending eight seasons with the New York Jets.

The move to acquire Gaffney came just one day after the Eagles released Terrell Owens. Owens' agent Drew Rosenhaus also represents Gaffney.

Though Gaffney never lived up to the potential of being such a high pick with the Texans, it should be noted that his first year was also Houston's first in the NFL. The Texans have had one of the worst offenses in the league and had trouble throwing the ball because they were unable to protect quarterback David Carr.

Gaffney, who was the Texans' No. 2 receiver, had his best year in terms of receiving yards in 2004 when he caught 41 passes for 632 yards and two touchdowns. Last season, he had a career-high 55 catches for 492 yards and two touchdowns.

Bob Brookover

:X :wall: Darnerian McCants + Jabar Gaffney all but confirms what I've been saying [unfortunately]. That the Eagles are, once again, content to go with guys like Brown, Lewis and Pinkston and don't view WR as a major position of need.
Any idea why they won't spend a little? I mean, they shouldn't spend right to the cap limit but it seems they could spend more than they do. :popcorn:

I despise Meshawn Johnson, but I a deep dark part of me wants to see the Eagles sign him. He's an ignorant buffoon, but I'll bet he isn't near the cancer that TO was, and he is a great possession WR which means that Pinkston or Brown could be the deep threats.

Pretty undewhelming move. If the Eagles had a stud at the top of their WR corps this would be a nice move. Yet, they don't. The big issue is Andy Reid is so committed to the pass but right now Philly has nothing more than a mediocre WR unit. The talent really doesn't translate to the style...but there's still a long way to go this offseason so you can't really judge what they're doing until you see the finished product.

Once again, the best WR in Philly is a RB.

Reid knows what he's doing, but he sure is keeping it a secret. ;)

While I am not overwhelmed by this move and I would still like them to add a #1 (which I don't think they will), I think there is potential and compared to the price tag on a guy like ARE that they were supposedly also after, this was a good move.

Gaffney

2002 Houston Texans 16 14 41 483 11.8 27 1 5 0 27

2003 Houston Texans 16 11 34 402 11.8 33 2 4 0 21

2004 Houston Texans 16 12 41 632 15.4 69 2 12 1 34

2005 Houston Texans 16 13 55 492 8.9 29 2 3 0 31

TOTAL 64 50 171 2009 11.7 69 7 24 1 113

Randle El

2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 47 489 10.4 36 2 7 0 22

2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 1 37 364 9.8 32 1 4 0 21

2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 7 43 601 14.0 39 3 10 0 29

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 15 35 558 15.9 63 1 10 3 23

TOTAL 64 23 162 2012 12.4 63 7 31 3 95

C'mon Woodrow, look at the bright side. It's one more Gator to make Chad Jackson feel at home when they pick him.

No, seriously, I don't think this means that the Eagles are necessarily done adding WRs whether thru the draft or FA.

Gaffney - cheap insurance in case Pinkston isn't on track.

McCants - roster filler and special teams coverage

McMullen - history

Gaffney is probably the person whose production has been hurt the most by the OL/David Carr/ conservative offense situation in Houston. He is very good route runner and has above average hands, but not so much for blocking and yards after the catch. If you look at the games where Andre johnson was out this year he was very productive. As the 2nd WR option in Houston, he got very few looks. IMO, he is better WR than either Pinkston or Greg Lewis and will take over the starting job along side Reggie Brown at some point.

While I am not overwhelmed by this move and I would still like them to add a #1 (which I don't think they will), I think there is potential and compared to the price tag on a guy like ARE that they were supposedly also after, this was a good move.

Gaffney

Randle El

Agreed his stats are ok and he's cheaper than El. It's a very Eagle like move, safe with decent upside but not something that will improve their offense. The Eagles have a collection of #3/4 wr's and this was their downfall years ago, they got TO and everyone knows what happened there. Maybe Reid figures we tried the star wr route and that didn't work so let me go back to a collection of cheap, decent wr's and hope McNabb can carry the team again.

It is very disheartening

I despise Meshawn Johnson, but I a deep dark part of me wants to see the Eagles sign him. He's an ignorant buffoon, but I'll bet he isn't near the cancer that TO was, and he is a great possession WR which means that Pinkston or Brown could be the deep threats.
Agreed. Say what you will about Meshawn, he's a tough SOB.

Did they not get the memmo that the rest of the NFC East got REALLY good last year?

I don't know about that Wood. It wouldn't suprise me at all to see them take Holmes/Jackson in the first round or pull of a trade for Burleson/Walker or even add a Keyshawn. It seems like they are setting up an "every man for himself" situation in camp at WR. If that's the case, the only one assured of staying is Brown. However, if they ARE done acquiring WRs, this would be a letdown, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
There weren't really any impact WRs out there in FA this year so I can't blame the Eagles too much for not spending a lot there this season. But they definitely seem content going with the WRs they have. Maybe they're still hoping that Moulds gets released.

I don't think that it's a coincidence though that McNabb had his best season when T.O. was with the Eagles.

I would say that this jumps BWest's value. With no one to throw to, I can see lots of dump passes to that shifty little bugger....

as a devout Giants fan, let me just say:

:lmao: :lmao:

<kidding>...sometimes I wonder what's going on with the Eagles front office and/or Andy Reid..seems to be an arrogant coach that thinks he knows best, that he's smarter than everyone else; a stubborn guy for sure...

Brown is good, and should only get better..but is he #1WR material? maybe..

I guess Reid figures that he's been to enough championship games with subpar WR talent, that he can do it again?

I guess he's not paying attention to what the other teams in the NFC East have been doing in the offseason..The Redskins are going to be a force, the Giants are much better defensively, and Dallas is a player or two away from making a serious SB run...the Eagles haven't done anything yet..they're falling behind..

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they will go after Moulds.
They'd better not...
Why?
Because this isn't 2002. The Moulds of today is not a threat to defenses and is on the decline.
I have to disagree. He posted solid #'s when Holcomb was at QB last year. Losman isn't a quality QB. McNabb to Moulds has quite a nice ring to it. He would be without a doubt the best receiver on that team by a longshot!!
Moulds' averages for the past 3 seasons:880 yards, 11.4 yards per catch, 3.3 TDs. Those are not anywhere NEAR elite #s.

Will be 33 when the season starts and command a huge salary.

No thanks.

Reggie Brown would be the best WR on the team even if Moulds signed.

They've actually made lots of effort to bring in a high quality wide receiver. They traded for the best WR in the league in TO. They've spent plenty of high draft picks on receivers including Freddie Mitchell, Brown, and Pinkston. They gave Pinkston a couple years to develope then tried Mitchell. Then they brought in TO. Even with TO already there they drafted Brown. While Mitchell and Pinkston didnt work out to their potential, it doesnt mean Brown wont. Brown has shown much more much sooner than the other projects. Maybe they just really believe he's good. Also, Gaffney is still young for a wide receiver. There's plenty more potential for him to improve. Plus all of this, they might yet go after a proven number 1 like Javon Walker, Keyshawn, Moulds, or someone else.

You cant honestly say they've neglected the position. I'm considering Brown as one of this year's top sleepers. Not because he's all they have. Because he might just be that good.

So who the heck is the #2 in Houston? No Bradford, no Gaffney, I know they had a good punt returner in Mathias.
Not counting the free agent moves, it would be Derrick Armstrong competing against Jerome Mathis (who is a good kick returner, not so good as a punt returner).My impression of Armstrong has always been that he has great hands. He has never really seemed to get much of an opportunity though. I don't know if it's because of his route running, or if he isn't getting open, or what.

Mathis I can't recall being used in the passing game as much other than to stretch the field. He had one nice long touchdown where he outran the corner.

A better/more proven #1 WR would be nice, but I honestly believe the Reggie Brown bandwagon will pick up a few more passengers this year as he proves to be a capable, on his way towards being solid, #1 WR.

There weren't really any impact WRs out there in FA this year so I can't blame the Eagles too much for not spending a lot there this season.
Isaac Bruce, David Givens, Randle-El, Keyshawn Johnson, Ike Hilliard, Joe Jeruvicious, Brandon Lloyd, Koren Robinson, Josh Reed, Ricky Proehl, Troy Brown, Peter Warrick, Rod Gardner, Troy Brown? Not all marquee names but is there any one of those guys you wouldnt start over Todd Pinkston?Then there are a bunch of guys that they could get for nothin but i would still rather see than Jabar Gaffney:Reche Caldwell, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, Eddie Drummond, Randy Hymes, Charles Lee, Kelly Washington.I guess my point is if you insist on running with #3/#4 WRs every year, why not at least switch them up and try to strike some gold? It costs you little and at least there is some hope somebody will break out. Is there any realistic hope Pinkston or Mitchell (or Gaffney) are going to be top 20 receivers?

Maybe they will go after Moulds.
They'd better not...
Why?
Because this isn't 2002. The Moulds of today is not a threat to defenses and is on the decline.
I have to disagree. He posted solid #'s when Holcomb was at QB last year. Losman isn't a quality QB. McNabb to Moulds has quite a nice ring to it. He would be without a doubt the best receiver on that team by a longshot!!
Moulds' averages for the past 3 seasons:880 yards, 11.4 yards per catch, 3.3 TDs. Those are not anywhere NEAR elite #s.

Will be 33 when the season starts and command a huge salary.

No thanks.

Reggie Brown would be the best WR on the team even if Moulds signed.
You are underestimating Moulds. He may not be elite, but looking at numbers when the OL and QB stink, is not really fair. I know you used the average of the 3 years, but if you watch the guy he still has game. For example, Moulds is a year younger than Harrison and what do you think you would say if Harrison was playing for Buffalo last year? Moulds is still a very good receiver. People incorrectly say he is slowing down, but i say no more than meshaun, Harrison, TO, etc...You would see Moulds excel in Philly and if he were signed, it would be a boost to the offense and he would be the #1 receiver.

I think Gaffney could be a very effective slot WR

He sucks. He was the product of a Florida offense. The Texans have been so desperate to find a receiver to compliment Andre Johnson and let him go.

Then there are a bunch of guys that they could get for nothin but i would still rather see than Jabar Gaffney:

Reche Caldwell, Antonio Bryant, Kevin Curtis, Eddie Drummond, Randy Hymes, Charles Lee, Kelly Washington.
Ummm...what drug are you taking? "get for nothing"???Bryant is A. already signed and B. wasn't cheap

Curtis is A. Restricted and B. won't be cheap

Drummond is A. already signed and B. a one dimensional kick returner

You are underestimating Moulds. He may not be elite, but looking at numbers when the OL and QB stink, is not really fair. I know you used the average of the 3 years, but if you watch the guy he still has game. For example, Moulds is a year younger than Harrison and what do you think you would say if Harrison was playing for Buffalo last year? Moulds is still a very good receiver. People incorrectly say he is slowing down, but i say no more than meshaun, Harrison, TO, etc...You would see Moulds excel in Philly and if he were signed, it would be a boost to the offense and he would be the #1 receiver.
Get off the pipe, my man. Harrison>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moulds ever was. Not even the same universe. Harrison's/Owens declining numbers are still Pro Bowl level. Great WRs put up great numbers regardless of their QB (see Owens with Garcia). With all due respect he does NOT have game enough to sign to a multi year contract.

They've actually made lots of effort to bring in a high quality wide receiver. They traded for the best WR in the league in TO. They've spent plenty of high draft picks on receivers including Freddie Mitchell, Brown, and Pinkston. They gave Pinkston a couple years to develope then tried Mitchell. Then they brought in TO. Even with TO already there they drafted Brown. While Mitchell and Pinkston didnt work out to their potential, it doesnt mean Brown wont. Brown has shown much more much sooner than the other projects. Maybe they just really believe he's good. Also, Gaffney is still young for a wide receiver. There's plenty more potential for him to improve. Plus all of this, they might yet go after a proven number 1 like Javon Walker, Keyshawn, Moulds, or someone else.

You cant honestly say they've neglected the position. I'm considering Brown as one of this year's top sleepers. Not because he's all they have. Because he might just be that good.
:goodposting:

Gaffney

Randle El

Randle El was a WR3 on a run-first team. Gaffney played on a team that had to pass because they were behind so often.Not a good comparision...especially since Gaffney is nowhere as explosive as Randle El is on the football field.

There weren't really any impact WRs out there in FA this year so I can't blame the Eagles too much for not spending a lot there this season.
Isaac Bruce, David Givens, Randle-El, Keyshawn Johnson, Ike Hilliard, Joe Jeruvicious, Brandon Lloyd, Koren Robinson, Josh Reed, Ricky Proehl, Troy Brown, Peter Warrick, Rod Gardner, Troy Brown? Not all marquee names but is there any one of those guys you wouldnt start over Todd Pinkston?Then there are a bunch of guys that they could get for nothin but i would still rather see than Jabar Gaffney:

Reche Caldwell, Antonio Bryant,Kevin Curtis, Eddie Drummond, Randy Hymes, Charles Lee, Kelly Washington.

I guess my point is if you insist on running with #3/#4 WRs every year, why not at least switch them up and try to strike some gold? It costs you little and at least there is some hope somebody will break out. Is there any realistic hope Pinkston or Mitchell (or Gaffney) are going to be top 20 receivers?
Johnson is still in play and Kelley Washington would be nice as well.They need someone who can consistantly get their own numbers and draw the attention from Brown.

Gaffney

Randle El

Randle El was a WR3 on a run-first team. Gaffney played on a team that had to pass because they were behind so often.Not a good comparision...especially since Gaffney is nowhere as explosive as Randle El is on the football field.
Maybe not the best comparison, my point was that they have had similar careers and Gaffney was a better deal.Yes ARE was a #3, last year he was the #3 in receptions behind Ward and a rookie tight end.

2005 - Carr has 2488 yards passing compared to Ben who had 2385

2005 - ARE as the #2 WR had 35 rec for 558 yards 1 TD

Gaffney had 55 for 492 2 TD

Again, both are #2/#3 guys only one is getting paid as a #1

Gaffney

Randle El

Maybe not the best comparison, my point was that they have had similar careers and Gaffney was a better deal.Yes ARE was a #3, last year he was the #3 in receptions behind Ward and a rookie tight end.

2005 - Carr has 2488 yards passing compared to Ben who had 2385

2005 - ARE as the #2 WR had 35 rec for 558 yards 1 TD

Gaffney had 55 for 492 2 TD

Again, both are #2/#3 guys only one is getting paid as a #1
I think everyone would agree though that it's not just the wr ability that El is getting paid for. It's his trick play ability, returns and wr ability. Gaffney is just a wr. El's td pass in the superbowl probably got him several million $'s.

Users who are viewing this thread