What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles trade for Takeo Spikes & Kelly Holcomb... (1 Viewer)

That's because they had stiffs like Mark Simoneau, Shawn Barber and Dhani Jones.
:bye: and you can look at what Gaither did at the end of last yr which was pretty respectable for a Rookie...from an idp perspective we will probably see spikes man the strong side just as in buff once Crowell took over at WLB so his fantasy value will be minimal but his NFL Value could/should be much better...only time will tellgaither avgd 13.8pts/week the final 5 games of the season(2pts/tack 1pt/assist)or extrapolated out 220 point range which would have been top 20

Last edited by a moderator:
Darwin Walker gave us some good years, but he was just woefully out of place on that defensive line; the Birds needed him to be a run stopper, space eater and that's not his game. Clearly the Eagles interior run defense was THE main priority of the offseason and this helps solve the problem in two ways: One, Spike (IF HEALTHY) gives them the best outside linebacker the team has had under the Reid regime...Two, the Birds didn't have to give up a high draft pick which gives them a much better chance of drafting a big interior tackle in April.

I see he has 6 sacks last year. 1 pick as well. 3 batted balls.

Is he nothing more than a pass rusher.

Seems like another Larry Tripplet, Kyle Williams type gap pass rush player for the Bills.

:pickle:

This is a great bandaid til one of the young guys (Gocong, Gaither) develops. Good job by the Eagles. Could be a great job depending on the contract.

Breaking News: Andy Reid, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles was just arrested for stealing in Buffalo. :pickle:

Congratulations to Eagles fans on the move, It must hurt being a Bills fan this offseason.

:pickle: This is a great bandaid til one of the young guys (Gocong, Gaither) develops. Good job by the Eagles. Could be a great job depending on the contract.
I could be wrong, but I'm about 99% sure that Gaither is the starting WLB for the Eagles. You're right though it's a good bandaid (maybe more) until Gocong or someone else steps up, I really don't think Matt McCoy will be the guy to stepup, should either be Gocong or someone not currently on the team.

Spikes could play anywhere. SLB if Gocong isn't ready to play, MLB if the Eagles feel Trotter is done, or WLB if Trotter stays or the Eagles want Gaither in the middle.

Walker may not be a huge help to the Bills; he and a returning John McCargo will hopefully improve the four man rotation from last season. He's always been a decent inside rusher, but is very inconsistent in run defense and got pushed around last year more than during his younger years.

i would expect we will see

WLB Gaither

MLB Trotter

SLB Spikes

and in some spots wouldnt be surprised to see gaither move into the middle and gocong also getting some time

Darwin Walker gave us some good years, but he was just woefully out of place on that defensive line; the Birds needed him to be a run stopper, space eater and that's not his game. Clearly the Eagles interior run defense was THE main priority of the offseason and this helps solve the problem in two ways: One, Spike (IF HEALTHY) gives them the best outside linebacker the team has had under the Reid regime...Two, the Birds didn't have to give up a high draft pick which gives them a much better chance of drafting a big interior tackle in April.
:popcorn: The Eagles really want/need Bunkley to step up and team with Patterson in the middle of the line, so Walker was going to be phased out eventually anyway. They gave up very little to get a once great LB, who if he can give them a couple of years, will make this a steal. On top of that, they get Holcomb, who may not be the best, but he is a veteran that has played before and has experience. Before anyone says Holcomb sucks, remember how Garcia was viewed before he came to Philly last year. Everyone thought he was washed up and look what happened.Great move by the Eagles.

i would expect we will seeWLB GaitherMLB TrotterSLB Spikesand in some spots wouldnt be surprised to see gaither move into the middle and gocong also getting some time
:popcorn:This should be the starting LB corps in Week One barring injury...with the possibility of Spikes moving inside in nickel and dime situations so Trotter doesn't have to play passing downs.

i would expect we will seeWLB GaitherMLB TrotterSLB Spikesand in some spots wouldnt be surprised to see gaither move into the middle and gocong also getting some time
I totally agree. Eventually Gaither moves to the middle to replace Trotter and Gocong takes his spot. If Spikes gives them anything, this trade is a steal for the Eagles.

Breaking News: Andy Reid, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles was just arrested for stealing in Buffalo. :rolleyes: Congratulations to Eagles fans on the move, It must hurt being a Bills fan this offseason.
Stealing? Perhaps you're stuck on the TKO of 2004. I love TKO, his passion, his game before the injury. He looked so slow last year, couldn't keep up with any TE, and is just a name at this point. I wish him well with the Eagles and hope he recovers, but this looks like another Sam Cowart case.I'm not happy about getting another pass rushing DT though. We have 3 already. We need a big ole fat ###. Pat Williams would do nice, oh yeah, we let him go.....Avg. age of the 2007 Bills? Young.

I totally agree. Eventually Gaither moves to the middle to replace Trotter and Gocong takes his spot. If Spikes gives them anything, this trade is a steal for the Eagles.
I like this lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gocong on the field some with Gaither at MIKE and TKO at WILL.That would get Trotter off the field some, as he's not really able to go full throttle for 3 downs anymore. Gaither's a better pass defender. Regardless, major upgrade. Nice move again, Philly. :rolleyes:

IMHO, this trade opens up all kinds of options on defense. As long as Spikes isn't a cripple, I see nothing but good things happening...

:rolleyes:

I like this lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gocong on the field some with Gaither at MIKE and TKO at WILL.That would get Trotter off the field some, as he's not really able to go full throttle for 3 downs anymore. Gaither's a better pass defender. Regardless, major upgrade. Nice move again, Philly. :thumbup:
:towelwave: i pretty much just said that in the IDP forum

I like this lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gocong on the field some with Gaither at MIKE and TKO at WILL.That would get Trotter off the field some, as he's not really able to go full throttle for 3 downs anymore. Gaither's a better pass defender. Regardless, major upgrade. Nice move again, Philly. :thumbup:
:towelwave: i pretty much just said that in the IDP forum
:lmao:

Wow! :rolleyes:

Why pull the trigger for Spikes when you get #### in return? Spikes + Holcomb for Walker (and a conditional 7th)? Why not just cut him? :sadbanana:

this was a good salary trade for the Bills.

something like 9 million for 1.3 million this year alone?

as a Bills fan I like the trade, however, like the Willis McGahee trade, this leaves another hole for the Bills to fill and they now have to serve up a near perfect draft with no misses and little room for reaches.

I think almost as important is what this means about Al Wilson. Supposedly PHI was hot on his trail and to see them push away, to me, would indicate perhaps his reported back issue may be a bit worse than thought. That and perhaps an unwillingness to redo his deal.?

Wow! :hey: Why pull the trigger for Spikes when you get #### in return? Spikes + Holcomb for Walker (and a conditional 7th)? Why not just cut him? :lmao:
Just cut who? I think Marv did a great job. Holcomb making wayyy to much for a back up, and Spikes might have been cut.

this was a good salary trade for the Bills.something like 9 million for 1.3 million this year alone?as a Bills fan I like the trade, however, like the Willis McGahee trade, this leaves another hole for the Bills to fill and they now have to serve up a near perfect draft with no misses and little room for reaches.
Spikes was making 4.5 million, Holcomb about 1.5, so it's more like 6 million to 1.3.Plus, I wouldn't be suprised to hear the Eagles renogotiate Spikes' contract for cap purposes. I don't think they have enough cap room to take his current salary so either he gets a new contract or other players are restructured to fit in with the cap.

this was a good salary trade for the Bills.something like 9 million for 1.3 million this year alone?as a Bills fan I like the trade, however, like the Willis McGahee trade, this leaves another hole for the Bills to fill and they now have to serve up a near perfect draft with no misses and little room for reaches.
I don't think they have enough cap room to take his current salary
Really? I'm thinking the Eagles had a bunch of cap room before free agency, and I don't recall any major money moves.I DO think a renegotiation is possible, but I don't think the Eagles are tight against the cap.

Wow! :blackdot: Why pull the trigger for Spikes when you get #### in return? Spikes + Holcomb for Walker (and a conditional 7th)? Why not just cut him? :rant:
Just cut who? I think Marv did a great job. Holcomb making wayyy to much for a back up, and Spikes might have been cut.
What are Holcomb's contract #'s?
I think his numbers for 2007 are $1,485,000. (he is signed through 2008 and I don't know his 2008 number).Spikes number for 2007 is something like 4.5 million. He is also signed through 08.I don't know if the Bills are responsible for bonus dollars or not.

Breaking News: Andy Reid, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles was just arrested for stealing in Buffalo. :o Congratulations to Eagles fans on the move, It must hurt being a Bills fan this offseason.
I'd hardly think it's a steal. Holcomb is on record for stating he was thinking about retirement, besides the fact he's at best a clipboard QB anyway. There was a very good chance that Spikes was going to be cut due to his high salary cap number anyway so the Bills at least get something in return for two players who are not in their future plans.What I don't understand is why the Bills didn't get a better conditional draft pick and what they plan to do now with their defense that lost Fletch and Spikes and have the other returning solid LB'er in Crowell most likely not going to be 100% come training camp. Yes the rookie last year Ellison played surprisingly well so he'll be most likely a starter unless the Bills get some June 1st cuts.

Although I think Reid will make this trade work one way or another, I'm not sold that TKO is ever going to be right physically.

I'll wait til he passes the physical before I say this is a good trade. Sounds good on paper though. TKO is a beast and should help against the run.

Breaking News: Andy Reid, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles was just arrested for stealing in Buffalo. :confused: Congratulations to Eagles fans on the move, It must hurt being a Bills fan this offseason.
I'd hardly think it's a steal. Holcomb is on record for stating he was thinking about retirement, besides the fact he's at best a clipboard QB anyway. There was a very good chance that Spikes was going to be cut due to his high salary cap number anyway so the Bills at least get something in return for two players who are not in their future plans.What I don't understand is why the Bills didn't get a better conditional draft pick and what they plan to do now with their defense that lost Fletch and Spikes and have the other returning solid LB'er in Crowell most likely not going to be 100% come training camp. Yes the rookie last year Ellison played surprisingly well so he'll be most likely a starter unless the Bills get some June 1st cuts.
Coy Wire, Keith Ellison, Angelo Crowell and HOPEFULLY Patrick Willis at 1.12 as well as probably another LB through the draft, probably round 4 or 5.

Breaking News: Andy Reid, coach of the Philadelphia Eagles was just arrested for stealing in Buffalo. :confused: Congratulations to Eagles fans on the move, It must hurt being a Bills fan this offseason.
He has great heart and I hate to see him go. Was my favorite player.. check my forum name lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread