What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles WR options (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Despite their public posturing about being happy with their remaining receivers, the Eagles are expected to try to upgrade at the position. Antwaan Randle El seems to be their main target, as the free-agent wideout with the biggest upside, assuming the Pittsburgh Steelers, faced with 11 potential free agents, can't keep him. Randle El also would fill a need as an elite punt returner. An alternative might be Buffalo's Eric Moulds, a bigger and stronger receiver (6-2, 210 to Randle El's 5-10, 192) who also is significantly older at 32.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13949124.htm

:blackdot: I'm hoping Reggie Brown is their #1 WR next year. With the guys mentioned so far, I think he will have a good shot. :thumbup:

:blackdot: I'm hoping Reggie Brown is their #1 WR next year. With the guys mentioned so far, I think he will have a good shot. :thumbup:
Definately. With Reggie Wayne gone, anyone they would bring in would be a role-player.

Antonio Bryant has big-time starting WR talent.....he could be a huge pick-up for some team if they can keep him focused.

I think bringing in a guy like Moulds would be a great move if they can sign him to a relatively cap mfriendly contract. He could serve as a short term #1wr, while guys like Lewis, and Brown mature into better recievers

I think bringing in a guy like Moulds would be a great move if they can sign him to a relatively cap mfriendly contract. He could serve as a short term #1wr, while guys like Lewis, and Brown mature into better recievers
He's too old. The Eagles don't sign "band-aid" free agents.

I forgot sorry. He's probably not enough of a team cancer to merit consideration

I forgot sorry. He's probably not enough of a team cancer to merit consideration
Moulds is 2 years older than Owens and not nearly at his elite talent level. Owens was not a "band aid" in any way. They wanted him for the rest of the decade.

Moulds is 2 years older than Owens and not nearly at his elite talent level. Owens was not a "band aid" in any way. They wanted him for the rest of the decade.
How soon people forget. Owens was supposed to have a great relationship with McNabb. McNabb went out of his way to get Owens to Philly, and Owens was very clear that he wanted to be there.Much like a broken marraige, everything started rosy for those two, but ended up terribly.

Randle El will probably be overpriced, while Givens would be a good #2 to Reggie Brown. (Oh, and he's a proven winner)

Personally, I think the Iggles should go strong for Moulds. He is still a talented WR, and has been wasting away in Buffalo for years now. Moulds + a rising star like Reggie Brown could = a lot of success, and cheaply...

Wow, looking at the poor group of WR's available this year I think the Eagles are going to struggle in 06. Owens may have single handedly destroyed this franchise.

One guy they may go after is Robert Ferguson. The feeling has always been that he'd be a good fit in Philly. But with Walker and Murphy coming off injury, GB might be hesitant to move him.

Wow, looking at the poor group of WR's available this year I think the Eagles are going to struggle in 06. Owens may have single handedly destroyed this franchise.

One guy they may go after is Robert Ferguson. The feeling has always been that he'd be a good fit in Philly. But with Walker and Murphy coming off injury, GB might be hesitant to move him.
I disagree. They are pretty much in the same boat they were pre-Owens. Add a decent WR or two, and you could be threatening again. This is why I think Moulds would be a decent fit...

Meh? Moulds is the same age as Owens. He wouldn't be a band aid in the least. He still has several good years in him.

Randel El is a nice compliment...he's a #2 WR. Why a team that needs a real #1 would spend a ton of money for a #2 is beyond me. :rolleyes: Kind of reminds me of when everyone jumped on P. Price. Any team that expects Randel El to come in and be the man is in trouble. That's why Randel El going to Chicago makes more sense because Moose is a #1 goto WR.

QUOTE(nathanbalboa @ Feb 24 2006, 10:47 AM)Wow, looking at the poor group of WR's available this year I think the Eagles are going to struggle in 06.  Owens may have single handedly destroyed this franchise.One guy they may go after is Robert Ferguson.  The feeling has always been that he'd be a good fit in Philly.  But with Walker and Murphy coming off injury, GB might be hesitant to move him.I disagree. They are pretty much in the same boat they were pre-Owens. Add a decent WR or two, and you could be threatening again. This is why I think Moulds would be a decent fit...
Prior to Owens arriving, there was great team chemistry and the Eagles were consider a top-rate organization by everyone in the league. Team chemistry is going to be difficult now with the split the Owens-McNabb feud caused in the locker room last year. Also, you know there are players around the league who silently sided with Owens and will look at Philly with a weary eye on the open market. Both of these issues will linger in the future.Prior to Owens arriving, McNabb was the unquestioned leader of the team and everyone looked up to him. Now half the team sided against him (and with Owens) and they'll never look at him the same. Players think McNabb wasn't "tough" enough and shouldn't have sided with management. Even black community leaders have taken (unfair) shots at him. This guy was a perfect team leader and a great guy to build around and Owens has single handedly brought his stock down and Owens is a horrible person for doing so. Regardless, McNabb will need years to recover and might never be looked at the same.Every team has a window to win with free agency and this window is closing. Talent wise they remind me of the Packers when Ray Rhodes was the coach. A solid team, but no longer an elite team. The organization will have to rebuild for a another run and it's tough to do. All the issues listed above will make it more difficult. As this team ages and drops from that elite level, the media will question Reid and McNabb and both will be on the hotseat...making things even more chaotic.Owens screwed the Eagles by quitting on the team while their window to win the Super Bowl was closing and the long-term issues he left them with will make it harder to rebuild. The irony was before he arrived, everyone said Philly was such a good organization they could handle Owens. Look what he's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely, because we're so used to having an exceptionally strong receiving core. :rolleyes:

Randel El is a nice compliment...he's a #2 WR. Why a team that needs a real #1 would spend a ton of money for a #2 is beyond me. :rolleyes: Kind of reminds me of when everyone jumped on P. Price. Any team that expects Randel El to come in and be the man is in trouble. That's why Randel El going to Chicago makes more sense because Moose is a #1 goto WR.
I agree. Randal-El is getting WAAAY to much attention IMO. He is a gimicky player that has yet to put up receiving numbers comparable to JJ Stokes. I think he can be a game changer, but you are nuts if you think you he will be a top five #2 WR.Whichever teams "wins" the sweepstakes, will end up overpaying for him.

Moulds isn't that old. He still has alot left in the tank. I think he would be a nice fit for Philly for a season or two. He has had some off the field issues and he hasn't been the best locker room guy from what I have heard. I am just not sure how open Philly would be to bringing in any guy with ANY off the field issues.

Philly will not take a chance on Antonio Bryant. The guy has an attitude problem. He threw his jersey in Parcell's face. No way Philly takes on another problem child.

Randle El is not a strong #1 receiver. Neither are any of the other Philly recievers. They need a #1 guy. They have plenty of #2 guys all ready on the roster.

Antonio Bryant has big-time starting WR talent.....he could be a huge pick-up for some team if they can keep him focused.
That's the rub...
I thought he was far better behaved in Cleveland. He went from one guy(Parcells) he took his shirt off and threw it at to one of his closest friends(Romeo). He had to eat some humble pie to stay there and coexist. After the way TO acted, with Reid's antenna likely up, I'd bet they could handle him and continue his maturation. He's no angel but he's been behaving better. I think he's a "keep an eye on him" type player now, not someone to really worry about.If this stuff drives his market value down then all the better for them.

Meh? Moulds is the same age as Owens. He wouldn't be a band aid in the least. He still has several good years in him.
Snap! Why did I think Owens was only 30? My bad. They're both 32 and Moulds will be 33 when the season starts. Too old to make a multi-year investment in, IMHO. (and he's clearly no TO) And I think the Eagles agree with me.

Who's expecting him to be #1? He's clearly a #2 type. The only #1-ish WR was Wayne. Right? Who can they get who is clearly better than Randle El? Givens? Bryant? Jurevicius?? Santonio Holmes??

I would give Moulds a shot. He was a problem last year with the Bills, because he wanted Holcomb and the coaches wanted Losman. Moulds likes to run comeback routes, and that is not a throw Losman could make.

I think Moulds will put up really good numbers for a year or two before he wears out his welcome with a new team.

When healthy, he is top ten in terms of ability. He has had to suffer through some of the worst QBing (and offensive coordinating) compared to other WRs. Flutie (no arm strength), Johnson (held the ball), Bledsoe (with no o line), Losman (no experience), etc.

No mater what Moulds' numbers are or will be, one thing you can say about him is that he demands double-teams as much as any WR. He almost never has single coverage, so that should help a teams other WRs. It certainly helped Price, Reed, and Evans.

Moulds isn't that old. He still has alot left in the tank. I think he would be a nice fit for Philly for a season or two. He has had some off the field issues and he hasn't been the best locker room guy from what I have heard. I am just not sure how open Philly would be to bringing in any guy with ANY off the field issues.

Philly will not take a chance on Antonio Bryant. The guy has an attitude problem. He threw his jersey in Parcell's face. No way Philly takes on another problem child.

Randle El is not a strong #1 receiver. Neither are any of the other Philly recievers. They need a #1 guy. They have plenty of #2 guys all ready on the roster.
Again, who is the #1 they can bring in?How do you know Moulds has "a lot left in the tank"? The past 3 seasons, he has averaged only 867 yards and 3.3 TDs per year. What is #1 about that? He's only had 4 1,000 yard seasons out of 10 and only 1 year of double digit TDs (10 in 2002).

And again, the Eagles don't bring FAs in for "a season or two". That's a band-aid signing.

Randel El is a nice compliment...he's a #2 WR.  Why a team that needs a real #1 would spend a ton of money for a #2 is beyond me.  :rolleyes:   Kind of reminds me of when everyone jumped on P. Price.  Any team that expects Randel El to come in and be the man is in trouble.  That's why Randel El going to Chicago makes more sense because Moose is a #1 goto WR.
Who's expecting him to be #1? He's clearly a #2 type. The only #1-ish WR was Wayne. Right? Who can they get who is clearly better than Randle El? Givens? Bryant? Jurevicius?? Santonio Holmes??
That is my point within itself, don't go out and overspend just because it's the best of what is left. Make a trade or get a decent player to tie you over for a year or two, but not to try and take a square and fit it into a circular hole...if you get what I mean. I'm not saying Randle El sucks, but he's not going to be worth teh money that going to get thrown his way. That's why PIT is letting him walk because they know he's not worth what the price tag is going to be... I personally would love it if the Iggles wasted their money and over spent on Randle El...I just don't see them doing it, not a tight as they are on their pocket book. I think A. Bryant is a much better buy, he's young and is capable of being a #1 WR. He appears to have turned it around and is acting right now. Both of the CLE QB's have publically supported him and want him back, it's just the CLE front office that seems to want to look elsewhere.

Isaac Bruce or Eric Moulds.

ETA:  Givens is above both.
Bruce? He's not available.
There is speculation he will be cut, with Kevin Curtis having more success as the Rams #2 then he did as their #3. People thought Martz would keep Bruce around but now Martz is gone. I'd like to see us bring Isaac in, since it looks like JJ will be staying in Seattle.

Isaac Bruce or Eric Moulds.

ETA:  Givens is above both.
Bruce? He's not available.
There is speculation he will be cut, with Kevin Curtis having more success as the Rams #2 then he did as their #3. People thought Martz would keep Bruce around but now Martz is gone. I'd like to see us bring Isaac in, since it looks like JJ will be staying in Seattle.
Didn't Bruce just agree to restructure and extend in St. Louis?Besides, give me a long term talent who still hasn't realized his full potential yet - like Randle El, Bryant, or Givens. :)

:goodposting: I was thinking the same thing...Randel El is one of those receivers who shined in a complimentary role, but has neither the durability or the raw physical tools to carry the load as a #1. I would also put players like Dante Hall into this category, though Randel El is a more accomplished receiver. Peerless Price (mentioned above) is another excellent example.

The problem is that GM's see what Randel El as a complimentary player and think that will automatically translate to the #1 position and even greater production.

Again, who is the #1 they can bring in?How do you know Moulds has "a lot left in the tank"? The past 3 seasons, he has averaged only 867 yards and 3.3 TDs per year. What is #1 about that? He's only had 4 1,000 yard seasons out of 10 and only 1 year of double digit TDs (10 in 2002).

And again, the Eagles don't bring FAs in for "a season or two". That's a band-aid signing.
Yeah beacuse that TO decision was well worth the long term deal..... :rolleyes: Actually I think the Eagles would bring in a guy for two years. Two years is plenty of time for their younger receivers to mature and take over. Moulds is a nice fit on that team. Moulds lack of success might have something to do with the craptastic QB they started last season. It wasn't Moulds' fault that JP Losman sucks or that Lee Evans hasnt panned out as a better complimentary receiver.

QUOTE(nathanbalboa @ Feb 24 2006, 10:47 AM)

Wow, looking at the poor group of WR's available this year I think the Eagles are going to struggle in 06.  Owens may have single handedly destroyed this franchise.

One guy they may go after is Robert Ferguson.  The feeling has always been that he'd be a good fit in Philly.  But with Walker and Murphy coming off injury, GB might be hesitant to move him.

I disagree. They are pretty much in the same boat they were pre-Owens. Add a decent WR or two, and you could be threatening again. This is why I think Moulds would be a decent fit...
Prior to Owens arriving, there was great team chemistry and the Eagles were consider a top-rate organization by everyone in the league. Team chemistry is going to be difficult now with the split the Owens-McNabb feud caused in the locker room last year. Also, you know there are players around the league who silently sided with Owens and will look at Philly with a weary eye on the open market. Both of these issues will linger in the future.Prior to Owens arriving, McNabb was the unquestioned leader of the team and everyone looked up to him. Now half the team sided against him (and with Owens) and they'll never look at him the same. Players think McNabb wasn't "tough" enough and shouldn't have sided with management. Even black community leaders have taken (unfair) shots at him. This guy was a perfect team leader and a great guy to build around and Owens has single handedly brought his stock down and Owens is a horrible person for doing so. Regardless, McNabb will need years to recover and might never be looked at the same.

Every team has a window to win with free agency and this window is closing. Talent wise they remind me of the Packers when Ray Rhodes was the coach. A solid team, but no longer an elite team. The organization will have to rebuild for a another run and it's tough to do. All the issues listed above will make it more difficult. As this team ages and drops from that elite level, the media will question Reid and McNabb and both will be on the hotseat...making things even more chaotic.

Owens screwed the Eagles by quitting on the team while their window to win the Super Bowl was closing and the long-term issues he left them with will make it harder to rebuild. The irony was before he arrived, everyone said Philly was such a good organization they could handle Owens. Look what he's done.
What a very awesome post.I am still sold that they will bring in Givens and make him and Brown their starting WRs.

Yeah beacuse that TO decision was well worth the long term deal..... :rolleyes: Actually I think the Eagles would bring in a guy for two years. Two years is plenty of time for their younger receivers to mature and take over. Moulds is a nice fit on that team. Moulds lack of success might have something to do with the craptastic QB they started last season. It wasn't Moulds' fault that JP Losman sucks or that Lee Evans hasnt panned out as a better complimentary receiver.
It wasn't just last season for Moulds:2003 780 yds 12.2 avg 1 TD

2004 1043 yds 11.9 avg 5 TD

2005 816 yds 10.1 avg 4 TD

The Reid/Banner Eagles have not and will not sign big ticket FAs for only 1 or 2 years. Moulds would be a waste.

I like Moulds for the Eagles, he's a perfect inside route guy that can get those quick dump passes that McNabb likes to throw. Plus he's more talented than his stats suggest.

Either way, I believe the Eagles are going to be in rebuilding mode for a while. You can't lose a guy as talented as Owens and expect a return to the Superbowl any time soon. Welcome to Niner hell, iggles fans.

I think Moulds would be a great fit there. Someone mentioned the Eagles probably aren't willing to pay for a 32 y/o WR. I certainly don't see them overpaying on the FA market for a career #3 WR in Randle El when their WR needs are far deeper than needing a #3 guy. Their roster is seemingly full of them already. Moulds has the size and experience to be an above average producer in that system, IMO.

Randle El, Givens, or Antonio Bryant would please me.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Poor man TO = Antonio Bryant

Any, and I mean any team that takes him will regret the day.

I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy....................wait...............Bryant to Philly............... :devil:

;)

Either way, I believe the Eagles are going to be in rebuilding mode for a while. You can't lose a guy as talented as Owens and expect a return to the Superbowl any time soon. Welcome to Niner hell, iggles fans.
Overreact much?

The Eagles don't sign "band-aid" free agents.
Antonio Freeman? They also signed various "band-aid" veteran FAs the first year of Reid's tenure.
James Thrash was another I could think of.
Also not intended as a band aid - he and Pinkston were the successors of Charles Johnson and Torrance Small in 2000. Thrash was coming off of a 50 catch season in Washington, the Eagles liked his potential and speed, so they signed him to a 4 year deal. He started for 3 years and was traded after a terrible 2003. Get your facts straight.

Randle El, Givens, or Antonio Bryant would please me.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Poor man TO = Antonio Bryant

Any, and I mean any team that takes him will regret the day.

I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy....................wait...............Bryant to Philly............... :devil:

;)
Cleveland didn't regret his 1,000 yard season, you dork. Sounds like you're still bitter over that trade. How did Quincy Morgan work out for ya? :lmao:

Charles Johnson and Torrance Small
Almost the definition of band aid WRs, surely?
I don't count 1st year signings. The very purpose of hiring Reid was rebuilding. They had NOBODY at the WR position after 1998. From that point, the only FA signing at ANY position that even comes CLOSE to a "band aid" were Antonio Freeman (but that was to teach Freddie Mitchell, as I mentioned) and possibly Blaine Bishop. It is NOT in the FO mindset to sign big name FAs for 1 or 2 years. They just don't do it.

It is NOT in the FO mindset to sign big name FAs for 1 or 2 years
But we're not talking about big name FAs. We're talking about "band aid" guys, stop the bleeding guys. You can't confidently make a generalisation and then afterwards say, oh well, that doesn't count because it was the first year, or that doesn't count because he was there to tutor another player, or whatever. The statement is either true or not.

It wasn't just last season for Moulds:2003 780 yds 12.2 avg 1 TD

2004 1043 yds 11.9 avg 5 TD

2005 816 yds 10.1 avg 4 TD

The Reid/Banner Eagles have not and will not sign big ticket FAs for only 1 or 2 years. Moulds would be a waste.
This is true. It wasn't just 2005 for Moulds. I think there are several things that contributed to his decline:1) Injuries

2) Loss of Peerless Price (equivalent to Batman losing Robin)

3) Offensive line being one of the worst in the NFL

4) Horrible QB play (a lot can be attributed to #3, however)

I strongly believe that he has more in the tank, and can contribute a lot if he moves elsewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread