What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early keeper question 1-4 (2 Viewers)

BigA

Footballguy
12T 1-4 Keepers. .5ppr. QB RB WR WR TE 2Flex. Barring any trades here's what I have. If you dont keep 4 you get a supp pick to get to the 4. Trades with picks start with the 5th round.

Stroud
Ekeler
Najee
GWilson
Nico Collins
Kupp
LaPorta

When is the supplemental pick? Is it before the draft starts? If you keep only two do you get two supplemental picks? How long can you keep a guy?

Supp draft is a week before the draft. Worst to first. If you only keep 2 youre picking 2 before reg draft. I'm picking 3rd.
We keep as long as we want.

Supp draft is a week before the draft. Worst to first. If you only keep 2 youre picking 2 before reg draft. I'm picking 3rd.
In general I see each player like this:
  • Stroud: If a lot of QB's are kept and the availability of QB's in the draft is low then he becomes a consideration. If nobody keeps QB's (like a typical 1 QB league) then I probably don't keep him.
  • Ekeler: Not a keeper due to age and the crapshoot that is the Chargers right now. Too injury prone so not worth a spot.
  • Najee: Not a keeper. He is a volume guy and not sure how much volume he keeps. I would rather throw him back and if there isn't anything worthwhile in the supplemental you can likely get him back. I just think there will be better options in the draft
  • G. Wilson: Obvious keeper. Talent is too great and you would have to believe the QB play will be better next year. It has to be better, right?
  • Collins: Must keep for me. He took a leap this year and has a QB for the future that can get him the ball. Great keeper in this format.
  • Kupp: Age & injuries have taken a toll. I don't think he is worth a spot but if you know there isn't going to be great talent in the supplemental draft maybe you keep him because he will be better than your other options at pick 3. If that's not the case then drop him and get someone more trustworthy in the draft.
  • LaPorta: Top 3 TE for me. Easy keep.

Based on that info above. I keep Wilson, Collins, LaPorta for sure. Then based on QB availability I would either keep Stroud or let him go and take a supplemental pick. If the talent is really barren then I could be talked into Kupp but that is unlikely.

• Stroud: If a lot of QB's are kept and the availability of QB's in the draft is low then he becomes a consideration. If nobody keeps QB's (like a typical 1 QB league) then I probably don't keep him.
  • Ekeler: Not a keeper due to age and the crapshoot that is the Chargers right now. Too injury prone so not worth a spot.
  • Najee: Not a keeper. He is a volume guy and not sure how much volume he keeps. I would rather throw him back and if there isn't anything worthwhile in the supplemental you can likely get him back. I just think there will be better options in the draft
  • G. Wilson: Obvious keeper. Talent is too great and you would have to believe the QB play will be better next year. It has to be better, right?
  • Collins: Must keep for me. He took a leap this year and has a QB for the future that can get him the ball. Great keeper in this format.
  • Kupp: Age & injuries have taken a toll. I don't think he is worth a spot but if you know there isn't going to be great talent in the supplemental draft maybe you keep him because he will be better than your other options at pick 3. If that's not the case then drop him and get someone more trustworthy in the draft.

Based on that info above. I keep Wilson, Collins, LaPorta for sure. Then based on QB availability I would either keep Stroud or let him go and take a supplemental pick. If the talent is really barren then I could be talked into Kupp but that is unlikely.
I think this is a good post and I generally agree with (for now) going with those 3 keepers. I used to play in a lot of these type keeper leagues and I always looked at it this way (generally): I see the 4 keepers being your first 4 picks in a re-draft. You want as many top 48 guys as possible and the more in the top 12 or 24 the better. Now having said that, the keepers also depend on the league settings and who others are keeping.

As mentioned above if there are no QBs kept then it doesn't make sense to keep Stroud as you could possibly get him later or even an equal or better QB later. I definitely like stroud and would like to keep him long term but is he worth using a top 48 pick on? Using redraft rankings is the best for trying to decide these keepers as they can significantly change year to year. Dynasty rankings can be used but I have always found redraft makes more sense for current values, especially in 1 QB leagues.

To the OP - when do your keepers have to be decided by? Obviously things can change with the draft and free agency.

For now I agree that Wilson is a must keep, LaPorta will likely be one of the top TEs for next year re-draft, and Nico should end up in the top 48. I think Kupp could be a sneaky value next year as he was banged up most of this year.

I actually like Najee but he is in a Committee and it ends up being hard to keep him as a top 48 guy but come redraft next year I think he ends up close.

One thing to try to predict or figure out before you decide your keepers is to look at each team and see which players might go back into the draft. Depending who goes back you can then decide on your last keeper between Kupp, Najee and Stroud. is there a better player available with your supp pick or does it just make sense to keep someone you have.

I agree with this. It's basically Wilson, Collins LaPorta and then pick between Collins and Stroud

To the OP - are there many trades in your league for people to improve their keepers? In a couple leagues I played in, many trades would happen and you could get a decent keeper (Maybe around ADP 30-40) for a mid round draft pick. People would rather take say a mid-6th rounder (re-draft value) and get something for their player than throw them back and not get anything.

If I had extra keepers I was always trying to deal to get extra pick(s) and if I had a marginal player to keep as my 4th I would often see if I could snag a solid keeper for cheap. I'd start low and send them say a 3rd round (which is really 8th or 9th round) in redraft. I would always ask for a later round pick in return too so I wouldn't be short a pick and have to fight in free agency/waivers the first time it would run.

Sometimes I was even successful sending a 6th round but getting a 9th back along with the keeper. Maybe this is how most operate but thought it could be helpful when tryin to figure out how to maximize your keeper situation.

To the OP - are there many trades in your league for people to improve their keepers? In a couple leagues I played in, many trades would happen and you could get a decent keeper (Maybe around ADP 30-40) for a mid round draft pick. People would rather take say a mid-6th rounder (re-draft value) and get something for their player than throw them back and not get anything.

If I had extra keepers I was always trying to deal to get extra pick(s) and if I had a marginal player to keep as my 4th I would often see if I could snag a solid keeper for cheap. I'd start low and send them say a 3rd round (which is really 8th or 9th round) in redraft. I would always ask for a later round pick in return too so I wouldn't be short a pick and have to fight in free agency/waivers the first time it would run.

Sometimes I was even successful sending a 6th round but getting a 9th back along with the keeper. Maybe this is how most operate but thought it could be helpful when tryin to figure out how to maximize your keeper situation.
Thanks for the replies.

Keepers due week before draft and its a guessing game as for who is kept.
Plenty of trading and pretty much as you posted with guys trading keepers for picks and picks for picks etc.
As for QBs, The top guys are normally kept.
Great advice.

Thanks for the replies.

Keepers due week before draft and its a guessing game as for who is kept.
Plenty of trading and pretty much as you posted with guys trading keepers for picks and picks for picks etc.
As for QBs, The top guys are normally kept.
Great advice.
When you say the top guys I assume Mahomes, Hurts and Allen? What about Lamar? And the next tier of guys? This last year was rough for QBs with so many injuries and so many underperforming it might mean more attention on the QB position for 2024 season.

Users who are viewing this thread