What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

early reports -- QB - J.Cambell - patella tendon (1 Viewer)

Sanboy

Footballguy
early reports per NFL network broadcast

QB-J.Cambell - dislocated patella tendon ......

UPDATED

they just said on the game .. that his knee cap popped out .. and they popped it back into place already .... that he will see doctors tommorrow .....they further said that J.Campbells father was outside the locker room and said that his son would be OK ...

I still think this is basically season ending though .....

Last edited by a moderator:
For Campbell, is this good or bad? In terms of severity.
Done for the season I would say.
Their season is over anyway. And since there is only three weeks left, a sprain could have the same result. Is this going to be an offseaon issue and delay his progress for next year?
shouldn't you be "avoiding" this thread? :unsure:
I should be avoiding a lot of things that I haven't been able to recently.

I have a dislocated patella and will be going in for my 3rd op in the last 20 months. Incredibly painful if not fixed right. i wish him all the luck in the world.

Tendon's can be dislocated? :rolleyes:
Just a quick search on Google:A dislocated patella typically occurs when a force is applied to the medial side of the patella forcing it laterally out of the femoral groove in which it rides. The patella is held in place inferiorly by the patella tendon and supported on the sides by the medial and lateral patella femoral ligaments.

The patella almost always dislocates laterally. When this occurs, the patient will be in significant pain with their knee flexed and the patella displaced laterally. As with most dislocations, the longer the patella remains out of joint, the more swelling there will be in and around the joint. This swelling makes it harder to reduce. So, the sooner the joint can be reduced back into normal anatomical position, the better.

http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpr...ocated-patella/

Another site:

Due to the twisting nature of sports, the patella can dislocate (come out of joint) with an awkward twist of the femur (thigh) on the tibia (shin). A twisting motion causes the patella to shift to the side. Usually, the patella moves laterally (to the outside). This occurs because the quadriceps muscle contracts to maintain the stability of the body. The shin has shifted so that the line of pull of the quads causes the patella to shift laterally. The patella is pulled laterally because it wants to remain in line with the muscle.

http://athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/LE/Kne...islocations.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
they just updated it on the game

said his knee cap was dislocated .. it was popped back in . and he will see doctors tommorrow

said his father was outside the locker room and said his son would be ok

Tendon's can be dislocated? :confused:
Just a quick search on Google:A dislocated patella typically occurs when a force is applied to the medial side of the patella forcing it laterally out of the femoral groove in which it rides. The patella is held in place inferiorly by the patella tendon and supported on the sides by the medial and lateral patella femoral ligaments.

The patella almost always dislocates laterally. When this occurs, the patient will be in significant pain with their knee flexed and the patella displaced laterally. As with most dislocations, the longer the patella remains out of joint, the more swelling there will be in and around the joint. This swelling makes it harder to reduce. So, the sooner the joint can be reduced back into normal anatomical position, the better.

Another site:

Due to the twisting nature of sports, the patella can dislocate (come out of joint) with an awkward twist of the femur (thigh) on the tibia (shin). A twisting motion causes the patella to shift to the side. Usually, the patella moves laterally (to the outside). This occurs because the quadriceps muscle contracts to maintain the stability of the body. The shin has shifted so that the line of pull of the quads causes the patella to shift laterally. The patella is pulled laterally because it wants to remain in line with the muscle.

I can understand a dislocated patella but the original post said dislocated patella tendon. A tendon is tissue that connects muscle to bone. You can tear a tendon but I don't believe you can dislocate a tendon.

Tendon's can be dislocated? :confused:

Another site:

I can understand a dislocated patella but the original post said dislocated patella tendon. A tendon is tissue that connects muscle to bone. You can tear a tendon but I don't believe you can dislocate a tendon.
Ah, my bad. I'll see if I can find anything. Some physical therapists have posted before, I hope they lend their expertise.

Tendon's can be dislocated? :shrug:
That's what Gumbel said, patella tendon dislocation. But he's also the guy that calls passes complete and FGs good while the refs are waving them off and says a player appears to have the first down when he's 5 yards past the marker so take it for what it's worth.

Same injury as Demarco Murray (OU) and he was out for the season with three games to go.

Too bad I was really pulling for an Auburn QB.

The crawl on NFL Network says, "Adam Schefter reports Jason Campbell (knee) likely out for the rest of the season." (essentially if not exactly)

Gibbs is saying he thinks its just a dislocated knee! No ligaments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As you know, something had to come out of place for it to pop out, it doesn't just pop out. Some ligament or tendon is damaged. Knees swell up like volleyballs, it may be a couple days before an MRI

Tendon's can be dislocated? :no:
That's what Gumbel said, patella tendon dislocation. But he's also the guy that calls passes complete and FGs good while the refs are waving them off and says a player appears to have the first down when he's 5 yards past the marker so take it for what it's worth.
Classic Gumbelism :yucky: I heard that too and thought, how in the hell do you dislocate a tendon? :confused:

Tendon's can be dislocated? :no:
Classic Gumbelism :yucky: I heard that too and thought, how in the hell do you dislocate a tendon? :confused:
POST surgery, when a tendon or ligament rips itself out of the pin holding it there, that's called a dislocationI don't know Campbell's history to know why it is for him

I have experienced this injury. A patella dislocation means the patella (knee cap) cam out of position. Two tendons hold this patella in place. Depending on the severity of dislocation, he may need surgery to tighten the ligament. This would keep him out the remainder of the season. However, if there is no structual damage, he could just wear a brace and man it out.

Having just helped my son with his "build a working knee joint" science project, I can tell you the Patella is essentially wrapped up in the tendons, so if it goes out of place the tendons will go with it.

If there is no ligament damage that would be a huge sigh of relief for us but either way I say he's done for the year.

Geez... think I would've rather taken a loss and had Campbell play the last 3 games

King of the Jungle said:
I have experienced this injury. A patella dislocation means the patella (knee cap) cam out of position. Two tendons hold this patella in place. Depending on the severity of dislocation, he may need surgery to tighten the ligament. This would keep him out the remainder of the season. However, if there is no structual damage, he could just wear a brace and man it out.
With a dislocation there is always damage to the ligaments surrounding the patella. In order for it to heal correctly he would need to be in a knee imobilizer for several weeks. If it heals stretched out (while the knee is allowed to bend) the ligaments will heal loose and the chances of him dislocating the patella agin is much higher. Thus surgery would be needed to tighten the ligaments. I don't think they would do a basic lateral release where they just losen the ligaments on the other side that help pull against the already sttretched ligament. (this is what they do normally to non-atheletes.) If WASH was a serious contender he would probably be out several weeks to get the tenderness down. Might try to get him to play for the playoffs, and then have the surgery as soon as the season is over. My guess is they will be consevrative and sit him out the rest of the way.

Latest NEWS on JC

Posted at 11:21 AM ET, 12/ 7/2007

Jason Campbell's MRI Moved To 1:30 PM/Other Stuff

The QB was supposed to get evaluated at 10 am, but it was moved back. So we won't know the full extent of the injury until later in the afternoon. The hope around here was that it would be a three-week injury, but until they see the scope of the dislocated knee cap it's just an educated guess.

Latest NEWS on JCPosted at 11:21 AM ET, 12/ 7/2007Jason Campbell's MRI Moved To 1:30 PM/Other StuffThe QB was supposed to get evaluated at 10 am, but it was moved back. So we won't know the full extent of the injury until later in the afternoon. The hope around here was that it would be a three-week injury, but until they see the scope of the dislocated knee cap it's just an educated guess.
How does this effect T Yoder's value moving forward?

Latest NEWS on JCPosted at 11:21 AM ET, 12/ 7/2007Jason Campbell's MRI Moved To 1:30 PM/Other StuffThe QB was supposed to get evaluated at 10 am, but it was moved back. So we won't know the full extent of the injury until later in the afternoon. The hope around here was that it would be a three-week injury, but until they see the scope of the dislocated knee cap it's just an educated guess.
How does this effect T Yoder's value moving forward?
:shrug:

Posted at 2:41 PM ET, 12/ 7/2007

What I'm Hearing On Campbell

Spoke to some sources close to him who say that barring something crazy showing up on the MRI - and the Redskins and their doctors do not expect anything severe in this case - that this looks like a 4 week injury.

They are reading the MRI now, but the early sentiment expressed to Campbell was that it was "nothing major," and a standard dislocated knee cap. Coach Gibbs might not have the full word when he speaks to us at 3 pm, so we may have to wait until later in the afternoon to speak to Bubba and get the final word on the injury and Campbell's projected recovery.

Also, to continue what has been a nasty trend, this is likely now the 4th member of that 2005 Auburn offensive, first-round draft class to suffer a season ending knee injury. Campbell follows teammate Carlos Rogers, Miami'a Ronnie Brown and Tampa's Cadillac Williams. Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread