What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

East Bound and Down (3 Viewers)

Watched this based on this thread. I chuckled a few times and might give it one more shot but I have no clue WTF you guys see in this show. It wasnt really funny. The scenes with the kids were funny but thats about it.

Just caught Episode 1 On Demand. Definitely worth a watch if you like all other Will Ferrell style stuff. Way funnier than anything you're going to catch on NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC.

And yes, by "way funnier", I mean funny swearing and funny potty humor and funny sexual innuendo.

Saw this thread yesterday so decided to check the show out last night. Turns out I watched it last week after a few too many :excited: Just barely remembered it.

Started out very promising with Kenny talking about the dental dam and telling the girl, "it's not only for my protection... you don't now what the hell I've got either!" And it ended good with kenny getting the cinder block to go visit the BMW dealership. But in between... where's the beef? Somehow, something is missing. The owner of the BMW dealership pretty much owned Kenny... the exchanges between Kenny and the owner weren't particularly funny, witty, or offensive. I'll keep watching the series because I still think it has some potential, but it really needs to be more... of something. It either needs to get more offensive, more funny, or develop its characters more.. something is missing. And., so far, fwiw, John from Cincinnati had more (and better) one-liners than East Bound and Down... that show didn't make it, and this one will be a one-season wonder, too, if it doesn't pick up.

I'm iffy on the show. It has moments, but I definitely can't see fresh jokes lasting an entire season. To me, Will Ferral is beyond stale, the less of him the better.

When Miss X played I about jizzed my pants. I love that f'n song. The music was great throughout, and the jokes apealled to my finer senses of humour. I can see this lasting with hopefully a strong comeback and maybe an minor league appearance in the next season. Could he make it back to the majors?

I still think that this is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen on TV, the humor is right down my alley. The girl with the Herp on her lip is priceless. I thought it was pretty funny that he told his SIL and Brother that he had his jet ski was jacked while on the lake. Dunno maybe it is my humor, but I thought the stealing of the toilet paper was funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think that this is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen on TV, the humor is right down my alley. The girl with the Herp on her lip is priceless. I thought it was pretty funny that he told his SIL and Brother that he had his jet ski was jacked while on the lake. Dunno maybe it is my humor, but I thought the stealing of the toilet paper was funny.
I had forgotten this. Who the hell brushes their teeth whilst crapping? That might have been the funniest part of the episode to me.

I had forgotten this. Who the hell brushes their teeth whilst crapping? That might have been the funniest part of the episode to me.
Just freakin hilarious/nasty when he spits his toothpaste between his legs into the toilet.

Just freakin hilarious/nasty when he spits his toothpaste between his legs into the toilet.
:( :shrug: :ptts: "I saw your ####."

thought the second episode sucked monkey nuts.

If i hadnt like the first i would be done with this show after last nights snoozefest.

Like someone said it really felt like nothing was happening and the show wasnt moving anywhere last night.

They need to develope the big boobed teacher more and get rid of the annoying gay friend/stalker

PS when Kenny said he wanted 2000 and Wil said how about 100 i was :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm iffy on the show. It has moments, but I definitely can't see fresh jokes lasting an entire season. To me, Will Ferral is beyond stale, the less of him the better.
I dunno. Will Ferrell doing the 'wooo!' thing and the slapnuts had me cracking up.
That was original and funny...loved his white long hair wig he was wearing.
Nothing about that was original. He's pretty much playing the same character that he has been in his last four or five movies. To me its like a kid has found an act or line that made people laugh and they just keep beating it to death until everyone wants to scream "ENOUGH ALREADY! WE GOT IT THE FIRST DAMN TIME! IT WAS STILL FUNNY THE SECOND BUT THIS IS THE ####### EIGHT-HUNDREDTH-AND-FOURTY-THIRD TIME YOU BLOATEDLY YELLED SOME CHAUVANISTIC NONSENSE!"

But it looks like he might be going a different way in Land of the Lost, so I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your Mother said:
:shrug: <----- click here.
Thanks, I don't have on demand and didn't see the first one. Def better than the 2nd episode."What's his ####in' name? Shrek?

"I"m just kidding... I didn't come in my pants."

Watched this based on this thread. I chuckled a few times and might give it one more shot but I have no clue WTF you guys see in this show. It wasnt really funny. The scenes with the kids were funny but thats about it.
:goodposting: Good premise, but they need better writing.

Funny but can't see how they'll keep it going more than a half dozen shows. Will get old really quick.
Thinking more about this show and if they had episodes when Kenny Powers was a star (flash back episodes) that could add legs to the show. It could be funny to see the stuff he did / went through after winning the World Series.

Kendall said:
Walton Goggins said:
Reg Lllama of Brixton said:
Kendall said:
I dunno. Will Ferrell doing the 'wooo!' thing and the slapnuts had me cracking up.
Nothing about that was original. He's pretty much playing the same character that he has been in his last four or five movies. To me its like a kid has found an act or line that made people laugh and they just keep beating it to death until everyone wants to scream "ENOUGH ALREADY! WE GOT IT THE FIRST DAMN TIME! IT WAS STILL FUNNY THE SECOND BUT THIS IS THE ####### EIGHT-HUNDREDTH-AND-FOURTY-THIRD TIME YOU BLOATEDLY YELLED SOME CHAUVANISTIC NONSENSE!"

But it looks like he might be going a different way in Land of the Lost, so I could give him the benefit of the doubt.
The slapnuts was original or I haven't seen a show before where one guy did that to another. I think he grabassed him as well.

I thought some of his dance moves were great

"The Fart"

"The ###shot all over the face"

I liked this line in particular

"I got a dental dam in the back seat of my car, go get it."

johnnycakes said:
And., so far, fwiw, John from Cincinnati had more (and better) one-liners than East Bound and Down... that show didn't make it, and this one will be a one-season wonder, too, if it doesn't pick up.
I don't know how you can compare the trainwreck that was John from Cincinnati with this show. JFC wasn't even a comedy.

johnnycakes said:
And., so far, fwiw, John from Cincinnati had more (and better) one-liners than East Bound and Down... that show didn't make it, and this one will be a one-season wonder, too, if it doesn't pick up.
I don't know how you can compare the trainwreck that was John from Cincinnati with this show. JFC wasn't even a comedy.
I still can't figure out how JFC was ever given the green light

One thing I'm noticing is that he kinda throws like a girl. Well, maybe not that bad, but not athletic at all, and definitely nothing like a former MLB star.

One thing I'm noticing is that he kinda throws like a girl. Well, maybe not that bad, but not athletic at all, and definitely nothing like a former MLB star.
Yeah, they should've brought in some stunt doubles for when he throws. His mechanics are pretty awful.Although IIRC, John Rocker wasn't a picture of beauty on the mound either. :goodposting:

The slapnuts was original or I haven't seen a show before where one guy did that to another. I think he grabassed him as well.
It a pseudo popular game amoung people I knew many moons ago. I'm sure it was garnered from some stupid movie or show, therefore, unoriginal in my eyes. I just feel like Ferral playing a loud, pompus ### is played out. We get it. He's basically carried his Robert Goulet sketches from SNL over to his movies for the past 10 or so years.

I just feel like Ferral playing a loud, pompus ### is played out.
Generally I agree with you about this. However I finally saw this episode last night and the whole thing, including Ferral's performance, had a darker, nastier edge to it than I was expecting. It didn't seem like Ferral was trying for funny in this one so much as he was trying to be a richard, and he pulled it off well I thought. This episode was better than the first, I guess because it seemed darker and nastier and didn't go for quite as many cheap/slapstick laughs. I'd somewhat like to see them go a different direction than playing up the unrequited love thing with the high school ex as it's pretty cliche and predictable, but it has set up some of the best scenes in the show (I thought the dance scene was the best part of the episode), so they'd have to come up with something to fill the gap.

He was on Jimmy Kimmel and he said, that himself and the writers no nothing about sports, they just were playing off baseball stereotypes.So he really has no clue how to throw a proper pitch

I wouldn't let that bother me. A substitute teacher dropping the F-bomb over the P.A. and still having a job isn't exactly realistic either.

:coffee: Good premise, but they need better writing.
The HBO On Demand feature has a 15 minute video about the making of this show, and they said that each episode has only about one scene where they did it as it was written. They said there is a crazy amount of ad libbing and impromptu stuff. That may be good for laughs around the set and occasionally may make a scene funnier than it was written, but it's bad news for anything that wants longevity IMO. If I want that I'll watch Whose Line Is It Anyway?

I just feel like Ferral playing a loud, pompus ### is played out.
Generally I agree with you about this. However I finally saw this episode last night and the whole thing, including Ferral's performance, had a darker, nastier edge to it than I was expecting. It didn't seem like Ferral was trying for funny in this one so much as he was trying to be a richard, and he pulled it off well I thought. This episode was better than the first, I guess because it seemed darker and nastier and didn't go for quite as many cheap/slapstick laughs. I'd somewhat like to see them go a different direction than playing up the unrequited love thing with the high school ex as it's pretty cliche and predictable, but it has set up some of the best scenes in the show (I thought the dance scene was the best part of the episode), so they'd have to come up with something to fill the gap.
Link

The HBO On Demand feature has a 15 minute video about the making of this show, and they said that each episode has only about one scene where they did it as it was written. They said there is a crazy amount of ad libbing and impromptu stuff. That may be good for laughs around the set and occasionally may make a scene funnier than it was written, but it's bad news for anything that wants longevity IMO. If I want that I'll watch Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Curbs that way and it is very successful. I've always thought improv comedy has more potential than anything scripted.

:kicksrock: Good premise, but they need better writing.
Curbs that way and it is very successful. I've always thought improv comedy has more potential than anything scripted.
No doubt that Curb is successful, but then again these people aren't Larry David, Richard Lewis & company. Besides, if the teasers and commercials are any indication, EB&D is trying to bill itself as a sort of raunchy sitcom with quirky characters, and not simply an ad lib session about bathroom humor. I think at this point people are going to expect more continuity out of EB&D if it's going to make it more than one season. Continuity comes from good writing and advancing the storyline.

No doubt that Curb is successful, but then again these people aren't Larry David, Richard Lewis & company. Besides, if the teasers and commercials are any indication, EB&D is trying to bill itself as a sort of raunchy sitcom with quirky characters, and not simply an ad lib session about bathroom humor. I think at this point people are going to expect more continuity out of EB&D if it's going to make it more than one season. Continuity comes from good writing and advancing the storyline.
The only way I see this show working is through the ad lib part...I can't see how it could be fully scripted to the T and it work. That said, they better do something or this show won't last more than a season. I think they should alternate at times and show him during the years he was a baseball star which would make for good comedy.

:lmao: Good premise, but they need better writing.
The only way I see this show working is through the ad lib part...I can't see how it could be fully scripted to the T and it work. That said, they better do something or this show won't last more than a season. I think they should alternate at times and show him during the years he was a baseball star which would make for good comedy.
:2cents: I'm sure that part (the flashback to his major league days) is probably coming.

As an aside, I liked the preview where Kenny is letting the kids pick one piece of memorabilia from his storage facility, and he looks at the poster on the wall and says, "What? Nobody wants the poster of me dressed as Jesus?" And the poster says "Powers Saves". :thumbup:

I don't get all the "the show needs to do this, the show needs to do that"? It is a freakin' hilarious show!

I'm now on board!!!!!Going to go back and watch the first ones again.
Yeah, I think this last episode was the best yet. And April, who appeared - at least to me - as a pretty face, but a little chunky, in previous episodes, was lookin' pretty darned good in this last episode. And... she's softening up, too... KP appears to be making some progress. Gives ol' JC here some hope. Teaching the kids to kill each other in gym class was hilarious, too. As was his reaction towards the high school pitcher... "he's trying to be me!" :goodposting:

I'm now on board!!!!!Going to go back and watch the first ones again.
Yeah, I think this last episode was the best yet. And April, who appeared - at least to me - as a pretty face, but a little chunky, in previous episodes, was lookin' pretty darned good in this last episode. And... she's softening up, too... KP appears to be making some progress. Gives ol' JC here some hope. Teaching the kids to kill each other in gym class was hilarious, too. As was his reaction towards the high school pitcher... "he's trying to be me!" :lol:
We want the same things... he's my competition.Keep the receipts, your going to have to float this for now...That whole exchange in the hallway cracked me up

Wish I still had HBO. Saw Pineapple Express yesterday and McBride stole the movie. I want to see everything he's in now.

Wish I still had HBO. Saw Pineapple Express yesterday and McBride stole the movie. I want to see everything he's in now.
Red (McBride): You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, mother******! :goodposting:

Saul: Red! You came back! Man, you lied to me. You said you had herpes and Dale said you didn't.

Red: I know Saul. I'm sorry. It's just, after all this, and seeing this guy’s nuts get smashed with my Daewoo, I love you man.

[pause]

Red: I want to be inside you, homes!

:confused: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread