What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

East Bound and Down (1 Viewer)

I love this show. Yes, it's funny. But this child-like lead character is a tragic figure. I think the show is outstanding.

Gotta admit I've warmed up to this show after a few episodes. The Powers character is silly & childish but definitely grows on you.

What is the evidence that they weren't hers? The face not being in the shot is obvious, but this chick is a NOBODY, its not like Julia Roberts refusing to show her cans. I'll need to look at the complexion at the begining but skin color, composition and the less than perfect nature can have me wondering.

What is the evidence that they weren't hers? The face not being in the shot is obvious, but this chick is a NOBODY, its not like Julia Roberts refusing to show her cans. I'll need to look at the complexion at the begining but skin color, composition and the less than perfect nature can have me wondering.
the ONLY way you can tell if a nude scene is showing the actress's body parts is if the face is there. since this scene so obviously doesn't show april's face, it HAD to be a body double.

the ONLY way you can tell if a nude scene is showing the actress's body parts is if the face is there. since this scene so obviously doesn't show april's face, it HAD to be a body double.
Even then you can't be sure. Especially in the movies, Hollywood has been known to do a little photoshopping of a body onto a face. Probably doesn't have the $$ in the budget to do that on this crappy little HBO series, though, which is probably fairly low-budget. So, yeah, those boobs could have been anyone's. Maybe even Stevie's if they waxed his chest. :shrug:

Some guy called into Ron and Fez (noon to 3) today who's wife knew the actress who plays April. The wife texted her, and she said that those aren't hers. Take that FWIW.She also had a bra on in the sex scene with her fiancee to open an earlier episode (ep 4?)...not only that, he wasn't even mounting her, he was kind of off to the side so his thingy would not be pushing up against her. Point being, it seems that she's a little too stuffy to go topless. That and her face not being in the shot seems to be pretty clear indicators.Great f'ing show, though. Rumors that there'll be a 2nd season, who knows...

Went out on a high note with the finale. The delivery truck parking in front of him in the middle of his diatribe was classic. I hope they can come up with a better season two. Stevie needs to go, his screen time is a waste, he's not funny, just creepy, and not funny creepy either (if there is such a thing).

Went out on a high note with the finale. The delivery truck parking in front of him in the middle of his diatribe was classic. I hope they can come up with a better season two. Stevie needs to go, his screen time is a waste, he's not funny, just creepy, and not funny creepy either (if there is such a thing).
Stevie character hitting a little too close to home?

Completely disagree here.

The more I think about this show, the more I like it. It has so many layers. It's dark comedy, for sure. But this lead character is one of the best in TV history. He's simultaneously sympathetic and repugnant. He's horrible, and yet I can't look away.

Freaking awesome series. Brilliant.

The more I think about this show, the more I like it. It has so many layers. It's dark comedy, for sure. But this lead character is one of the best in TV history. He's simultaneously sympathetic and repugnant. He's horrible, and yet I can't look away.Freaking awesome series. Brilliant.
I like the show, but I think it really only has one layer.

The more I think about this show, the more I like it. It has so many layers. It's dark comedy, for sure. But this lead character is one of the best in TV history. He's simultaneously sympathetic and repugnant. He's horrible, and yet I can't look away.Freaking awesome series. Brilliant.
I don't think so. Underneath all the juvenile humor is a lot of pathos.

I don't see it.

Exactly. Next thing you know he'll do something super creepy like buying a woman a car just to have sex with him, like I do.

I don't see it.
I agree, and you beat me to the comment.Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This isn't Shakespeare.... it's an HBO comedy.

I don't see it.
I agree, and you beat me to the comment.Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This isn't Shakespeare.... it's an HBO comedy.
It's not Shakespeare, but it's not straight comedy either. There are some pretty dark moments in the show.

"now your smoking weed on the reg"

“i got the fame, the money, the jewls, the cash, the denali. gettin drunk on the reg, good times on the reg, yahts on the reg, sex on the reg.”

“listen b***, I’m about to f*** up your head with some truth…"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see it.
I agree that this isn't rocket science or curing cancer, but it's really well done for what it is. There's no other comedic actor who could pull off the Kenny Powers character, IMO.

I've enjoyed it so far. May have to rewatch some to see those cans again to figure out if they are April's...

I don't see it.
It's comparable to Greek Tragedy.

Exactly. Next thing you know he'll do something super creepy like buying a woman a car just to have sex with him, like I do.
Speaking of which...Stevie needs to get laid. Sounds like something that might occupy Kenny's time now that they are friends.

trogg78 said:
Speaking of which...Stevie needs to get laid. Sounds like something that might occupy Kenny's time now that they are friends.
I think he did... the opening of the one show a couple of weeks ago, he was obviously giving himself a hand release.

I liked it when he called his brother's wife a "fine piece of church ###".

That and when the principal was going nutty over Kenny kissing April and Kenny replies, "I did not mean to kiss on her #####, your fiancé.”

I don't see it.
I'm not claiming that this show is akin to Death of a Salesmen. But this show is absolutely intended to be poignant.

WHO THE #### ARE YOU!?!?!?!

I'm not claiming that this show is akin to Death of a Salesmen. But this show is absolutely intended to be poignant.

Completely agree. There are several scenes that explore issues of regret and isolation clearly not intended to be funny. Several closing scenes have been of an introspective, dark nature. This show has a distinctly different feel than most obscene, goofy comedies. It often bounces from the completely ridiculous to something quite real and troubling, which I like. The scene where Kenny demolished the family room comes to mind.

I suppose you could look at the more serious elements as ironic or silly given the context of the rest of what's going on, but the way they're executed is usually pretty straight-ahead, pretty devoid of sarcasm.

That and when the principal was going nutty over Kenny kissing April and Kenny replies, "I did not mean to kiss on her #####, your fiancé.”
Best line of the year...

Completely agree. There are several scenes that explore issues of regret and isolation clearly not intended to be funny. Several closing scenes have been of an introspective, dark nature. This show has a distinctly different feel than most obscene, goofy comedies. It often bounces from the completely ridiculous to something quite real and troubling, which I like. The scene where Kenny demolished the family room comes to mind. I suppose you could look at the more serious elements as ironic or silly given the context of the rest of what's going on, but the way they're executed is usually pretty straight-ahead, pretty devoid of sarcasm.
Well said. I think this exact material could be played as straight comedy in someone else's hands. But Danny McBride clearly sees Kenny Powers as a sympathetic, tragic figure. To only play Powers as an idiot would be funny. But this extra layer of pathos really elevates the show in my mind.

belljr said:

Best line of the year...
I still like the "I play real sports, im not trying to be the best at exercising."

belljr said:

That and when the principal was going nutty over Kenny kissing April and Kenny replies, "I did not mean to kiss on her #####, your fiancé."
Best line of the year...
I still like the "I play real sports, im not trying to be the best at exercising."
I know a triathlete. Let's just say I don't like her, so that line is extra funny to me.

Best line of the year...
“One of us had their own personal stylist and one of us shoplifts their clothes from Fashion Bug!”

I cranked all 6 episodes yesterday and really loved this show. I hope it gets renewed for another season. It's gold.

John Rocker + Chest Rockwell + Uncle Rico = Kenny Powers

Last edited by a moderator:
From Bill Simmons column today:

Q: So, I just watched "Escape From New York" for the first time (one of your favorites), and as much as I enjoyed it, I found that the only thing I ended up paying attention to during the movie were Adrienne Barbeau's SPECTACULAR bosoms. I kept trying to concentrate on the plot, but they were just too distracting and seemed completely out of place. Can you think of other "good" movies where obscene amounts of cleavage or the overall hotness of a female character distracts from the movie to the point where it may even hurt the film?

-- Travis, San Francisco

SG: That's what we call "a good problem," my friend. It just happened with my favorite new show of 2009: HBO's "Eastbound and Down," which could be best described as "A crazier and even more offensive John Rocker-type named Kenny Powers loses his baseball career and goes back home to become a still crazy and still offensive teacher." Kenny's well-endowed ex-girlfriend overshadowed every one of her scenes; you just kept thinking, "Come on, it's HBO, get this girl in a shower or something!" (Let's just say those wishes pay off in the season finale. Just call me the Mr. Skin of sports columnists.) But again, this was a GOOD problem. I don't think this is a show for everyone -- it's silly and raunchy -- but it made me laugh at least twice an episode and nothing makes me laugh anymore.

(My only issue was Kenny's pitching motion: For someone who allegedly threw 101 mph, it looked like he was tutored by Tim Robbins and the guy who played Kevin Costner's dad in "Field of Dreams." I couldn't get past it. It's not a good sign when your flamethrowing pitcher looks like Lamar throwing the javelin for Lambda Lambda Lambda. Regardless, I loved this show and hope it comes back. Knowing HBO, they'll probably only bring it back if Season 2 revolves around Kenny seeing a therapist.)
Simmons cant be foolish enough to actually think those were hers?I guarantee he will get dozens of emails about this and he will talk more about this next column

Users who are viewing this thread