What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

EBF Invitational Team Analysis (1 Viewer)

I'd give mrharrier the edge. He may be the most solid at RB, with potential at QB, one of the better sets of 4WR's to line up, and great at TE to boot.He needs his WR's to all perform, but if that happens he's got the best squad. Also depending on his QB's hitting their "upside" potential.

I purposely waited on giving my team analysis as I didn't want to influence any opinions. So here are my thoughts...

QB1 - Drew Brees (10.06)QB2 - Kurt Warner (12.06)QB3 - Jeff Garcia (14.06)
I was expecting much worse than this as my initial plan was to to grab 3 QBs in the 20-30 range, but when Brees slid to me in the 10th round I couldn't pass him up. QB is still this team's greatest weakness but given the format I think it was wise to go light at QB. If brees repeats his '04 numbers it should bode well for my entire team.
RB1 - Tiki Barber (1.09)RB2 - Curtis Martin (2.06)RB3 - Michael Bennett (5.09)RB4 - Moe Williams (17.09)
The emphasis here was to be as risk averse as possible with my starters. I have CuMar and Tiki ranked as two of the safest six runningbacks in the game...I completely ignored VBD when drafting Tiki and CuMar. Bennett was a bit of a surprise as I was targeting a Duckett-like performer for my #3, but when he slid to me at 5.09 his upside was too much to pass up. Again, didn't want to waste too many roster spots on RB given the emphasis on WR in this format. I would have liked to handcuff CuMar with Blaylock, but he went way too early for my taste.
WR1 - Anquan Boldin (4.06)WR2 - Rod Smith (6.06)WR3 - Charles Rogers (7.09)WR4 - Keenan McCardell (8.06)WR5 - Braylon Edwards (9.09)WR6 - David Boston (11.09)WR7 - Justin Gage (15.09)WR8 - Az Hakim (16.06)
I loved this draft because of its emphasis on WRs given the ppr and start 4 requirements. When Gonzo and Bennett slid to me in the 3rd and 5th respectively, I was worried that I was going to be too light at WR. As a result, I made a concerted effort in rounds 4-9 to take the best value at WR possible. I didn't expect to have Braylon Edwards on my team, but I thought he slid a bit in this format. Charles Rogers was a risky pick in the 7th round but knowing I was going to go 8 deep at WR, I went for the upside.
TE1 - Tony Gonzalez (3.09)TE2 - Marcus Pollard (13.09)
Didn't expect Gonzo to slide to me given the format. I have Gonzo by far and away in his own tier this year so I was pleased that he slid to me at 3.09. I had originally planned on drafting a WR at that spot so drafting a TE in the 3rd did throw me a curve as it forced me to rethink my draft strategy. Pollard was another gift as well. After I took Gonzo, I had planned to wait until the 17th or 16th round for my TE #2, but Pollard was too much for me to pass up in the 13th.*I took on more upside&risk guys like Rogers/Edwards/Bennett/Warner than I would in a typical survivor draft, because in this format you're required to select your starters which I believe puts more emphasis on upside. *I would have liked to pickup a more solid backup QB...I made a mistake in passing on Carr in the 11th.*Overall, like most of the drafters, I wouldn't have done much differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
RB1 - Tiki Barber (1.09)

RB2 - Curtis Martin (2.06)

RB3 - Michael Bennett (5.09)

RB4 - Moe Williams (17.09)
The emphasis here was to be as risk averse as possible with my starters. I have CuMar and Tiki ranked as two of the safest six runningbacks in the game...I completely ignored VBD when drafting Tiki and CuMar. Bennett was a bit of a surprise as I was targeting a Duckett-like performer for my #3, but when he slid to me at 5.09 his upside was too much to pass up. Again, didn't want to waste too many roster spots on RB given the emphasis on WR in this format. I would have liked to handcuff CuMar with Blaylock, but he went way too early for my taste.
I found this a bit odd personally. I think that both Tiki and Martin carry a good amount of risk heading into this year. Both seems to be coming off of career years. Martin had a huge workload for a RB his age last year and Tiki has ahd his coach come out and say they would like to limit his touches more this year.

RB1 - Tiki Barber (1.09)

RB2 - Curtis Martin (2.06)

RB3 - Michael Bennett (5.09)

RB4 - Moe Williams (17.09)
I found this a bit odd personally. I think that both Tiki and Martin carry a good amount of risk heading into this year. Both seems to be coming off of career years. Martin had a huge workload for a RB his age last year and Tiki has ahd his coach come out and say they would like to limit his touches more this year.
When I say risk, I'm not talking about dips in production...I'm more concerned with missing games due to injury. CuMar and Tiki are as durable as they come IMHO.

Just for comparison, here are all our WR5 and their current FBG ranking:

LHucks - B Edwards - 41

Salmonstud - T Williamson - 49

Rabidfireweasels - T Calico - 51

Jurb - R Caldwell - 52

Ravnzfan - T Glenn - 57

Jdoggydogg - M Booker - 59

Kleck - A Bryant - 61

team Legacy - D Patten - 63

MrHarrier - J Gaffney - 64

ConstruxBoy - B Johnson - 66

Dave S - T Taylor - 70

ManWhoMetAndyGriffith - J Jurevicius - 72

Radballs - T Pinkston - 81

EBF - K Curtis - 83

Of course, in my opinion, Williamson, Calico, Glenn and Gaffney are too high on the list, while Booker, Patten, Johnson and Curtis are too low.
That ranking for Curtis is nothing short of horrible. What was Hakim's best end of season ranking in St. Louis?

I think a lot of people are making a mistake by assuming that Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon are safe picks this year. I'm avoiding both players due to their ages and their strenuous 2004 seasons. I think you'll see at least one of the two suffer a serious injury next season, which is why I've definitely taken a hard look at guys like Blaylock, Cobbs, and Houston.

I just checked Hakim's stats. He finished as WR30 in 1999 and WR39 in 2000. The Rams probably won't be as prolific passing the ball as they were in those two seasons, but Curtis is a better player than Hakim. I think that will mostly offset the lower number of targets. Curtis may not crack the top 40, but I think he's a lock for top 50 and a major steal at WR83 (where he falls in the FBG rankings). There's no way he won't exceed that ranking if he stays healthy. I suppose some people think McDonald might be the #3 WR, but if you've seen the two play then I don't see how you could have come to that conclusion.

I just checked Hakim's stats. He finished as WR30 in 1999 and WR39 in 2000. The Rams probably won't be as prolific passing the ball as they were in those two seasons, but Curtis is a better player than Hakim. I think that will mostly offset the lower number of targets. Curtis may not crack the top 40, but I think he's a lock for top 50 and a major steal at WR83 (where he falls in the FBG rankings). There's no way he won't exceed that ranking if he stays healthy. I suppose some people think McDonald might be the #3 WR, but if you've seen the two play then I don't see how you could have come to that conclusion.
I took McDonald in the 16th and knew he was not the #3. I'm banking on Bruce slowing down, Curtis taking his spot some and McDonald getting in as the WR3.

I've seen them both, and I think McDonald makes more plays. I'm not disagreeing just for the sake of it, I truly believe they're both good and they'll both compete for time all year. Looker will get his plays too. Martz has man love for him.

I've seen them both, and I think McDonald makes more plays. I'm not disagreeing just for the sake of it, I truly believe they're both good and they'll both compete for time all year.
Kevin Curtis caught 64% of his targets for an average of 8.42 yards per target.Shaun McDonald caught 54.4% of his targets for an average of 7.28 yards per target.

I'm not normally a fan of directly comparing these particular stats, but I think it makes sense in this case given that these guys had the same supporting cast, same coach, and generally faced the same caliber of defensive back. Curtis seems to have a clear advantage. I imagine that things would become even more lopsided if you were to include his two 100 yard receiving games in the playoffs.

Sorry I'm just now getting to my analysis. here we go.

1.05 - Peyton Manning, QB IND - If Deuce was still on the board, I was taking him, but EBF spoiled that plan. Priest was next on my list, Construx screwed that up. Edge? Portis? McGahee? Nah.. None of them will do. Moss was certainly not a possibility for me. Well, at least I don't have to worry about this spot any longer. No playing matchups, no mediocre games, mostly stud performances all year, excellent points week in week out. Bad weeks going H2H X 2 can kill your record, so lets go with the most points. I have believed all off season that he will have an even better year than last year. Granted, its only 4 points per TD. I'm hoping 3 or 4 wide receivers go and another QB or two before I pick again. Crossing fingers....

2.10 - Julius Jones, RB DAL - HALLELUJAH !! What a run on RBs! It was right about par with what I was expecting, but I thought I'd be choosing a Dillon or a Jackson or even a Curtis Martin. Julius Jones?? NO WAY !! I'm sure A-Train will vulture a few TDs away, but he's extreme value here.

3.05 - Warrick Dunn, RB ATL - Well, I knew this would happen. By taking Manning early, I was committed to taking 2 RBs in rounds 2 and 3. Yes, I would have been happy with a Top WR here, but Darrell Jackson nor Hines Ward make me feel anything special. Grabbing an undervalued back like Dunn sets me up for a WR run.

4.10 - Steve Smith, WR CAR - The only other player I thought about was Coles, but I think Carolina will again lean to the passing game more than the Jets will, and I have Smith projected for 85 and 1215. I don't see Coles, Roy or Bruce approaching those numbers.

5.05 - Derrick Mason, WR BAL - For a guy who's lowest ranking in 5 years is 26th, how can I go wrong with the 24th receiver taken off the board. I mean, again, i'm already committed to a WR here, so its Mason or Jimmy Smith? Ashley Lelie? If Mason woke up with only 57 receptions he'd shoot himself. Lee Evans with a rookie Losman? C'mon.. Baltimore's offense has been bad due to wide receiver talent. They've addressed that this year.

6.10 - Plaxico Burress, WR PIT - Wow, Now this draft is starting to fill out nicely. I have my QB, 2 RBs, and 3 WRs that I think will all hit the 1000 yard mark. Eli should have no problem finding this big target. Again, the options were Colbert, Housh, Stokley, Givens, Keyshawn... Ya.. Plax and the upside make sense.

7.05 - Travis Henry, RB (hoping for Tennessee) - Here's where the draft either MAKES me or BREAKS me. This could have been my SOLID WR # 4, but instead, I'm taking the chance that he lands in the LAND of the TITANS. Granted, a WR 4 would have been Givens, Rogers, or Keyshawn, so the downside is that my WR 4 will be more of a project pick. I'm still hoping to land a McCairens or Lloyd later.

8.10 - Eric Johnson, TE SF - I was planning on waiting much longer for a tight end, but seeing him fall this far was EYE POPPING. He started strong last year and faded even faster, but young QBs fighting for their job will want to find this big target. Really happy about this pick!

9.05 - Marcell Shipp, RB ARI - Again, my WR4 WAITS. How can I do this? How can I keep delaying this need? This pick again, may have been the wrong move since I already gambled with Henry, but thats what kept worrying me. "Maybe Henry sits, maybe he doesn't get any time this year." These thoughts made me take another stab at a RB, the only back worth stabbing for at this point. Crossing fingers pick.

10.10 - Koren Robinson, WR --- @W$*&^@$ . I'm still swearing about this pick. Can anyone see that I have a SERIOUS GAMBLING problem ?? 3 GAMBLES in 4 rounds.. Unbelievable risk taker. Who needs to play it safe? I couldn't let him fall any further, its just principle. If he lands somewhere, maybe he'll get a chance, if not, he'll be boozing it at the local pub.

11.05 - David Patten, WR WAS - Its about time for a SAFE, solid play. Patten should get his and some of Santana Moss' too. I really had to stop my binge of gambling because Reggie Brown was calling my name.. but my past mistakes made it impossible to do so.

12.10 - Patrick Ramsey, QB WAS - Well, if I believe in Patten, maybe Ramsey can get me thru that Manning bye week. Washington at the Giants that week. Ramsey torched them for 3 TDs last year, I'm hoping they can do the same or thereabouts. I considered Frerotte here, but I wanted a safe play for a start week 8. I think Ramsey will hold onto the job this season and maybe more.

13.05 - Daniel Graham, TE NE - Nice combo with Eric Johnson. He should get plenty of Redzone targets this year. I think he's this year's Bubba Franks and will approach 10 TDs. not many recepts with the other TE's in the fold, but I like him more than Stevens. Looking hard at Travis Taylor here.

14.10 - Chris Henry, CIN WR - Gambling again. Wanted Travis Taylor here, but wouldn't you know it, dave spoils the fun. Still need that WR4 to pan out and not feeling like Krob or Patten will get it done. This kid, if you haven't been watching is really feeling the offense. He and Carson will hook up more often as the season goes on. This reminds me of when Moss came to Minny. Both had a troubled youth and their stock fell. Well, just ask Chad Johnson who will be his wing man. Its Henry. I like Housh, but my good friend EBF said it best, Talent wins out, cream rises to the top. I'm hoping by mid season he's turned enough heads to get past Kelley Washington. If thats the case and an injury happens to either Chad or TJ, this kid will be inserted in my lineup.

15.05 - Chris Perry, CIN RB - Time to go to Vegas. I can't stop the lottery picks. Needs an injury to a steady Rudi to even see the field. A humbling rookie season of 2 carries for 1 yard. Yes, I probably should have went Gage here in retrospect, but again, Shipp and Henry may do nothing, so there's nothing wrong with another late flier.

16.10 - Dante Hall, KC WR - Roby was a choice here, but Hall seems to find a way to get playing time. he's too explosive and I don't see many players that have more chemistry with their QB at this point.

17.05 - Randy Hymes, BAL WR - If there's an injury to Mason, maybe Hymes (who's been compared to T.O.) gets a nod here. Just another flier who may never see the field.

Overall -

QB - Peyton - Ramsey

RB - Julius - Dunn - Henry - Shipp - Perry

WR - St Smith - Mason - Burress - Krob - Patten - Henry - Hall - Hymes

TE - Johnson - Graham

Once all but 1 of my starters were confirmed (WR4), I decided to gamble with as many high upside players as possible. Will it pan out? Only time will tell... There you have it.. MANNING'S MANIAX!

I have read this entire thread and would choose to have Dave's team!!! ok? One vote for Dave's team........Write it down!!!!! :stirspot:

Are you concerned that you only have three starting WRs? If so, what would you have done differently?

Are you concerned that you only have three starting WRs? If so, what would you have done differently?
since when isn't Patten a starter? - I would have not drafted Shipp and grabbed a quality contributor. Krob the same story. Went with upside rather than safety.

since when isn't Patten a starter? - I would have not drafted Shipp and grabbed a quality contributor. Krob the same story. Went with upside rather than safety.
Don't know what I was thinking there...you're right. So 4 starters...which is about average.

I'm assuming you believe that the starters in KC are Kennison and Parker, possibly Hakim at 3, leaving Hall on the outside looking in.Granted, Hall is too valuable on the return team to lose due to an injury at WR, but Parker hasn't proven on the field that he's a better fit than Hall in the offense IMO.

Just ran a little bye week analysis . . .Two requests for the scheduler: I'd like to play LHUCKS week 5 and mrharrier week 10.Thank you . . . :tinfoilhat:

Just ran a little bye week analysis . . .

Two requests for the scheduler: I'd like to play LHUCKS week 5 and mrharrier week 10.

Thank you . . . :tinfoilhat:
Tried to get my byes out of the way early for a reason ;)

I have most of the league set up on MFL, but I still have to load the rosters. I'll probably do it Sunday night. Then I'll send you guys your login information via PMs.

I am surprised that nobody is talking about the fact that harrier opted to carry only 3 RBs. In this format, that seems to be a very risky play IMO.

I am surprised that nobody is talking about the fact that harrier opted to carry only 3 RBs. In this format, that seems to be a very risky play IMO.
Made sense to me. Need two to start, so I'm banking on the fact that at least two of the three will retain their starting jobs and not get hurt. Decent odds of that, and no one I could get at the value I wanted which would have provided any additional security. Ricky went far too early, as did Faulk.

I am surprised that nobody is talking about the fact that harrier opted to carry only 3 RBs.  In this format, that seems to be a very risky play IMO.
Made sense to me. Need two to start, so I'm banking on the fact that at least two of the three will retain their starting jobs and not get hurt. Decent odds of that, and no one I could get at the value I wanted which would have provided any additional security. Ricky went far too early, as did Faulk.
But with injuries, poor performance, and bye week coverage you will only be starting 1 RB some weeks which isn't good.

But with injuries, poor performance, and bye week coverage you will only be starting 1 RB some weeks which isn't good.
I don't anticipate that being a problem more than one time. If it happens one time, that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread