What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Edgerrin James (1 Viewer)

In light of the new agreement, do the Colts keep James?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I agree with Mr Vegas, the Colts should probably try to sign everyone but James.

I will admit that in the past I've been a big James fan, but now I think losing the defensive parts that are so close to putting your team over the top is more important and harder to replace than James. I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need help elsewhere and can get a good RB much cheaper in the draft. I say no. They've already got enough money tied up in that offense.

It's all about me, and I have him on two dynasty teams. You know I want to keep him in that Indy O.
Damn Bruce, I thought you would be more open minded than bringing your fantasy teams into the discussions. What is best for the Colts? I believe I know what your answer will be.

Edge has not only been a great carrier of the ball, but a decent receiver and most importantly , Manning's personal bodyguard in the backfield. Im going to predict if the Colts let Edge go, Manning will spend alot more time on either his back or his back foot. Letting him go with 18 and 88 restructuring and with an extra 10 mil to spend....mistake. 2 years and $12mil are probably keeping him there.

It's all about me, and I have him on two dynasty teams. You know I want to keep him in that Indy O.
Damn Bruce, I thought you would be more open minded than bringing your fantasy teams into the discussions. What is best for the Colts? I believe I know what your answer will be.
Well, Chuck, I think what's best for the Colts is to go find another idiot kicker that can hit a 46 yard FG while NOT on the Letterman show.My honest opinion is they way overspent on Harrison and Wayne, paying more than the open market price. Had they been smarter with their cap room with those guys, signing Edge would have been easier. As far as Edge goes, they will learn the hard way how valuable he was if they let him go. His replacement won't pick up the blitz the way he does and in general the offense will not be nearly as smooth. Compare their record with/without him the last few years. It's not a coincidence. He nearly always picked up positive yardage and moved the pile when it was needed. They will sorely miss him if and when he's in a Vikings uniform.

By the way, want to deal Mooner Moss in MOX I?

Couch Potato out!

How many teams do you own James?  Tell the f-ing truth.
Wow, at last someone who cares about my fantasy teams. I knew I'd find you some day. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Answer the question truthfully, lol I'm sure your league mates know who "fatness" is.

Mr U I think are team is in trouble read the writing on the wall.Oline and tightends are to weak.Linebackers are below average Defense line has huge holes in it.So what do the colts do sign wayne to a big contract wow what next sign James take up the rest of the cap money sure why not :cry: :wall:

Mr U I think are team is in trouble read the writing on the wall.Oline and tightends are to weak.Linebackers are below average Defense line has huge holes in it.So what do the colts do sign wayne to a big contract wow what next sign James take up the rest of the cap money sure why not :cry: :wall:
You can't be a Colt fan? :confused:

Edgerrin James is one of the Top 5 RB's when healthy, and I do not believe that you can simply replace him in the draft. Anyone worth taking is going to cost you big money anyway and they bring along a signficant additional risk; you don't know whether they can play.

Losing him will definitely set Indy's Offense back more so than losing Reggie Wayne.

Peyton needs to look long-term ... does he really want a ring or not. If he wants a ring, then he restructures and allows the Colts to keep James, Wayne and to fill the couple of remaining holes on Defense.

If Peyton is fine with getting his paycheck and lots of stats then he we will get it without James.

My guess is that he restructures. With his Visa TV Ad's I bet he is making upwards of $5 Million annually alone.

He has it nearly as good as Tiger Woods who might make $4 or $5 Million a year on the course and $20 Million in advertisements.

Peyton wants a ring and the Lombardi Trophy and James stays.

Mr U I think are team is in trouble read the writing on the wall.Oline and tightends are to weak.Linebackers are below average Defense line has huge holes in it.So what do the colts do sign wayne to a big contract wow what next sign James take up the rest of the cap money sure why not  :cry:   :wall:
Sure am, I was like all colts fans believing Manning,James,Harrison=SuperbowlAfter watching the last 5 years no way this is going to happen.Team needs to rebuild the oline and linebackers plus upgrade the tightends plus add some help in the middle of the defense line.So needless to say The Wayne signing to me was priceless nothing else has to be said..Mr Bill must go :hot:

Mr U I think are team is in trouble read the writing on the wall.Oline and tightends are to weak.Linebackers are below average Defense line has huge holes in it.So what do the colts do sign wayne to a big contract wow what next sign James take up the rest of the cap money sure why not  :cry:   :wall:
Sure am, I was like all colts fans believing Manning,James,Harrison=SuperbowlAfter watching the last 5 years no way this is going to happen.Team needs to rebuild the oline and linebackers plus upgrade the tightends plus add some help in the middle of the defense line.So needless to say The Wayne signing to me was priceless nothing else has to be said..Mr Bill must go :hot:
I agree Edge needs to go, but you have one of the best young TE's in the game.Take that out and I agree with you. :thumbup:

I think edge give more to the colts then some people realize. They'd be a great team without him, but he's still an elite back that does it all, it will be harder if he leaves.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
OK, you may not like that flawed guy, but honestly that sig is ridiculous. Just as bad as his posts in my mind.

Answer the question truthfully, lol I'm sure your league mates know who "fatness" is.
I own him in 1 out of 4 leagues. I also own a lot of other players. What's your point? That nobody can post without listing their team rosters? Are you a Colts fan?

Are you a Manning fan?

Are you a Harrison fan?

Do you see how little questions like that add to the discussion?

The Colts are mistaken if they think they can plug someone else in instead of James and not miss a beat. Alexander was the only other back available with equivalent talent to James. They spent too much on their QB and WR's and apparently may not have left enough for the guy who kept many of their drives alive ---- James. The guy is a damn good football player and losing him will be a step back for them. I don't disagree with your assessment that the Colts need to keep an improved defense to have any shot at advancing further than they have. But what's forcing them to choose between defense and James is overpaying for Manning, Harrison, and Wayne.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
OK, you may not like that flawed guy, but honestly that sig is ridiculous. Just as bad as his posts in my mind.
He has no clue what's funny.
Flawed has a funny way of saying he disagrees, but it is funny.The sig is funny too.

Edge pulling a hammy on one of his first scores of the year was a little funny too.

Not laughing at his injury, but wouldn't you if that Cleveland TE screws something up again. Get a back that is good at blocking and upgrade the line.

I think Maurice Morris would be a huge upgrade, and at a cheaper price. Coincedentally, I happen to have him in my keeper league. :D

'The grass is not always greener on the other side. '

Are you Edge? :confused:

It is greener, let it go already.
Sorry Mr. Vegas, My point must not have been as clear with my folksy saying as I thought it was.

The Colts are probably thinking they'd like to have Edge back, but if they can't re-sign him, they'll be able to plug in another RB and the Offense won't miss a beat.

I'm thinking that could be a mistake, hence...."The grass is not always greener on the other side." comment.

So they sign all their defensive guys yet you think they should let Edge walk? What good is that defense gonna due for Peyton since their O-line is less than stellar as well? If they lose James it'll be comparable to losing a good o-lineman in a sense. Do they have enough money to not only re-sign their defense, but to bolster their o-line woes as well? Oh wait...I'm sure they will sign every FA lineman available that is worth a damn (slim pickin's) or in the draft. You seriously expect them to get a good RB in their draft spot and good enough linemen? I think they re-sign James, let some of their defensive guys walk since they seem to have decent young depth on D. Then they need to draft o-line and key backup players.

IMO it depends on how much the guys on D that are FA's want. If they hit the FA market you can kiss them good bye. I have enjoyed having James here but he can be replaced. For you guys saying they will take a step back i dont agree. M Anderson will cost 10% of James and the Colts wont miss a beat. In big games the Colts dont run anyway so what would it matter.Never have understood it myself. :confused:

I think hes extremely overrated. Put him in any other offense, and hes a sub 4.o YPC Running Back. He doesnt have the same burst or wheels that made him so extraordinary in his first two seasons.

dotman,Ridiculous or not, the sig stays.

It's not about me liking, or disliking Fla\/\/ed. Personally, I don't get too worked up by posts on a message board from somebody I don't know and will likely never meet. However, others do and this is an FYI for them & people new to these boards.

In some ways, I think Edge is underrated around here. He does a lot of things awfully well that make Indy a better team. In fact, I'm not sure in what area he doesn't excel.

But Indy could still manage to lose him and make up for it in defensive pieces. Tough call IMO.

But those that think he is ordinary, overrated or easily replaceable are vastly mistaken. He's one of the very best. The question here isn't whether he is easily replaced in that offense. He isn't. He'd be sorely missed. But the question is whether they could make up that loss with adding talent needed elsewhere.

Again, tough call, but I personally believe they should keep him.

I'd love them to keep Edge, but finanically it is difficult, and say what you want, Edge does not have "burst" any more. He doesn't explode into the line or to the corner like younger backs do. I would like to see what an eager, youthful RB could do.

Unfortunately, those same backs likely wouldn't be the blocking back that James is, and they would be forced to quickly adapt to a complex scheme.

My head hurts from reading this now. Thanks.

do you mean do "I" keep James? as in on my fantasy team... cause if so how many keepers are we talking.. and rules and such...

or you mean do you keep James as in would you keep James if you were the Colts? (yes)

do you mean do "I" keep James? as in on my fantasy team... cause if so how many keepers are we talking.. and rules and such...

or you mean do you keep James as in would you keep James if you were the Colts? (yes)
Colts, not fantasy.

I don't have him in any leagues so I'm as unbiased as possible, although I do like him.

The Colts need to sign him, no question. For a SA-type deal it's a no-brainer with the new salary cap. What's a $7M cap number for a guy that holds the offense together? Without him it changes the dynamic of the offense and I think it's crazy to mess with something that works so well.

I'd love them to keep Edge, but finanically it is difficult, and say what you want, Edge does not have "burst" any more. He doesn't explode into the line or to the corner like younger backs do. I would like to see what an eager, youthful RB could do.

Unfortunately, those same backs likely wouldn't be the blocking back that James is, and they would be forced to quickly adapt to a complex scheme.
I don't know about that "burst" since he looked good last year but his blocking and understanding of the offense is way beyond any rookie.

IMO it depends on how much the guys on D that are FA's want. If they hit the FA market you can kiss them good bye. I have enjoyed having James here but he can be replaced. For you guys saying they will take a step back i dont agree. M Anderson will cost 10% of James and the Colts wont miss a beat. In big games the Colts dont run anyway so what would it matter.Never have understood it myself. :confused:
What for one year? And 10% is inaccurate since MA will want a few million dollars, maybe half what Edge will cost.

IMO it depends on how much the guys on D that are FA's want. If they hit the FA market you can kiss them good bye. I have enjoyed having James here but he can be replaced. For you guys saying they  will take a step back i dont agree. M Anderson will cost 10% of James and the Colts wont miss a beat. In big games the Colts dont run anyway so what would it matter.Never have understood it myself. :confused:
What for one year? And 10% is inaccurate since MA will want a few million dollars, maybe half what Edge will cost.
Yep for one year. And Edge wants more than what SA got. He wants a bonus of 20mill +. This is the reason he hasnt been signed. If Edge would cost less than 8mill to the cap,like SA will,he will stay. Either way 10% is about right if you look at the cap hit. Edge isnt going to get the contract he wants,atleast not here. :bye:

Yep for one year. And Edge wants more than what SA got. He wants a bonus of 20mill +. This is the reason he hasnt been signed. If Edge would cost less than 8mill to the cap,like SA will,he will stay. Either way 10% is about right if you look at the cap hit. Edge isnt going to get the contract he wants,atleast not here. :bye:
That's the same contract SA was asking for before he signed a reasonable one. Whatever contract he signs anywhere is going to come out to less than $8M a year.

In fact, I'm not sure in what area he doesn't excel.
speedpower

moves

That's all. :mellow:

OK I'm kind of messing around but I stand by what I said....however I will also say as important as those things are or can be, they aren't the be-all/end-all for a RB. Again, it's all about the price.

Here's the thing. They have proven they can win by zipping it around everywhere...you really just need a RB to keep the defense honest. Manning can throw 40 times a game and they can win 12-13 games.

If their defense was a little stronger with a better pass rush up the gut, and better CB play than they might not need James. He is a bit of a luxury. I would draft/FA RB to go with Rhodes and go from there.

Here's the thing. They have proven they can win by zipping it around everywhere...
Yeah that sure worked well in the playoffs. :bag: As you say, they need a RB to keep Ds honest.....but that doesn't mean simply a token carry here or there. It means someone that they can keep feeding the ball w/success if necessary.

Course the ol OC and Manning don't seem interested in giving such a strat a try, so maybe it's moot point :double bagged:

In fact, I'm not sure in what area he doesn't excel.
speedpower

moves

That's all. :mellow:
Speed does not equate to success. Neither does power, or even moves. Those aren't categories an exisiting RB needs to worry about in reality.Rushing? Edge excels as a rusher. He has sufficient speed to reach the outside, knows how to pick his spots and wait for blockers, finds holes. He has the power to push a pile and avoid arm tackles. Perhaps Edges does not have the explosion he once had, but I think that's overrated. In many ways, I compare his current rushing abilities to Marcus Allen in his prime.

Receiving? Check. Edge has good hands, runs patterns well and plays screens effectively.

Blocking? Check. He knows who to block and where and really helps keep Manning from getting surprised.

With an additional 7M added to the cap they would be ignorant to let him get away. James is that good and there is no way they replace him in the draft from their current position. If they can get him to accept a similar deal to what Alexander got they would be in great shape.

Users who are viewing this thread