What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Education System in America: What's the Next Step? (1 Viewer)

I'll also fully admit I don't really understand charter schools.

I do know my friends son goes to one and loves it though. Thinks it's far superior to the regular public high school for curriculum and attention to students. 

@Joe Bryant @Godsbrother @Spanky267

(sorry if I forgot others...just saw them discussing it)

Talking about the line for public education being drawn at K-12 and the justification of that arbitrary line in the other thread.  I've asked this question multiple times here and really not ever gotten a thoughtful reply.  For those that believe paying for school after 12th grade is where you draw the line, can you please provide our philosophy on that?   I kind of understand it living in the world we did in the 70s and 80s, but I don't understand it now.
I think we as a society actually structure this relatively well, precisely because it's not a bright line drawn at 12th grade.  K-12 education is mostly paid for by the state -- families generally don't have much in the way of out-of-pocket expenses for that level of schooling.  Baccalaureate programs aren't funded entirely by the government, but they are subsidized by the government -- states provide varying levels of direct financial support for public schools, they operate scholarship programs, they provide low-interest loans, they offer tax incentivized saving mechanisms, etc.  Post-graduate professional degrees are subsidized maybe a little but they're pretty much entirely paid for by the person getting the degree.

That seems about right to me.  We can quibble a little bit about exactly where and how much to start phasing out public support, but I think we have the tradeoff more or less right.  

I think we as a society actually structure this relatively well, precisely because it's not a bright line drawn at 12th grade.  K-12 education is mostly paid for by the state -- families generally don't have much in the way of out-of-pocket expenses for that level of schooling.  Baccalaureate programs aren't funded entirely by the government, but they are subsidized by the government -- states provide varying levels of direct financial support for public schools, they operate scholarship programs, they provide low-interest loans, they offer tax incentivized saving mechanisms, etc.  Post-graduate professional degrees are subsidized maybe a little but they're pretty much entirely paid for by the person getting the degree.

That seems about right to me.  We can quibble a little bit about exactly where and how much to start phasing out public support, but I think we have the tradeoff more or less right.  
Though I am asking those who ARE drawing that bright line (and yes, those people exist in this forum) I think in theory you're correct.  As it sits on paper that's exactly how it reads, but I can't get passed the "put in practice" part where a lot of this isn't true for a great many people in this country.  And I say that because the ONLY think readily available to just about everyone is "loans" and even then I think there's a bit of malpractice in awarding these loans as there are people who simply shouldn't be allowed to take the money because they are never going to be able to pay them back and that is known a lot of the time and they are granted anyway.  

On top of that, any program you incentivize via the tax code and tax breaks is already broken IMO.  I am not a fan of trying to do any sort of incentivizing via a tax code that is poorly constructed and incredibly slanted to a specific group of people from the start.

Talking about the line for public education being drawn at K-12 and the justification of that arbitrary line in the other thread.  I've asked this question multiple times here and really not ever gotten a thoughtful reply.  For those that believe paying for school after 12th grade is where you draw the line, can you please provide our philosophy on that?   I kind of understand it living in the world we did in the 70s and 80s, but I don't understand it now.
I think the line should be where most people can get a first time job that offers a living wage and a path to advance.   My simplistic understanding is that 60% of these types of jobs now require a college degree.  But I am not invested enough in this topic to know how that 60% number was arrived at to know how valid it is nor what level of college degree this means to know where that line should be drawn.  But basically -

• Society should pay at least for the minimal level of education society has required for most entry level careers.
Whatever that might be.

ETA- Society should also pay when there are specific needs of society that for whatever reason the market doesn't fill.  Like maybe teachers, or maybe when the government takes over healthcare and the surgeons are poorly paid government employees. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

I do know my friends son goes to one and loves it though. Thinks it's far superior to the regular public high school for curriculum and attention to students. 
Our kids go to one now and I have to say, what I had heard about them is not at all the reality we are experiencing.  Our kids love it and what they are able to provide in the way of options for learning is quite remarkable.  My guess is, as with many other things, people take their anecdotes they experience or hear from friends and project them onto the entire concept.  We feel fortunate that our kids are allowed to go to their school and it produces, by far, the best opportunity in our area.  We'd have to move 2-3 school districts away to get a comparable experience for them.  

I had a really negative opinion of them based on stories I'd heard in the past....that was a mistake on my part.  I'm glad my wife didn't quit fighting me on this.  She was right and I was wrong and I get reminded of that frequently  ;)  

Our kids go to one now and I have to say, what I had heard about them is not at all the reality we are experiencing.  Our kids love it and what they are able to provide in the way of options for learning is quite remarkable.  My guess is, as with many other things, people take their anecdotes they experience or hear from friends and project them onto the entire concept.  We feel fortunate that our kids are allowed to go to their school and it produces, by far, the best opportunity in our area.  We'd have to move 2-3 school districts away to get a comparable experience for them.  

I had a really negative opinion of them based on stories I'd heard in the past....that was a mistake on my part.  I'm glad my wife didn't quit fighting me on this.  She was right and I was wrong and I get reminded of that frequently  ;)  
I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere. but in my real life friend circles, the guys that are most in favor of charter schools are also the most conservative. I don't know it's a liberal / conservative thing other than as best I can tell charter schools seem like they oppose teacher unions some. But I don't know if that's right. 

I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere. but in my real life friend circles, the guys that are most in favor of charter schools are also the most conservative. I don't know it's a liberal / conservative thing other than as best I can tell charter schools seem like they oppose teacher unions some. But I don't know if that's right. 
Interesting.  I haven't heard much through that lens and our kids have a really diverse group of kids they go to school with, both economically and racially.  

It’s correct, there is much more resistance to charter schools on the left than the right.  

The arguments against charter schools are 

- they pull money and resources from the public schools

- they often pull better students and families from public schools because of the inherent participation bias. A parent that is actively trying to find better options for their kid is probably more involved in general in their kids education 

- even though charter schools aren’t supposed to be able to, they often block students with special needs or behavior problems from their school 

- despite inherent advantages, charter schools perform generally the same or worse then comparable public schools 

- charter schools pay and treat teachers poorly and have massive teacher turnover 

- it varies state to state but often regulation on them is very poor which isn’t cool considering they are funded entirely through tax payer money 

- again varies state to state but they are sometimes operated for profit which means the goal is to take in the tax money, spend as little of it as possible on teaching the kids/operating the school and keep the unspent money as profit 

- charter schools pay and treat teachers poorly and have massive teacher turnover 
Thanks. Can you elaborate?

I don't know any salaries but in my one personal example I know, the charter school was able to attract some of the best public school teachers I knew of. 

Joe Bryant said:

I don't know any salaries but in my one personal example I know, the charter school was able to attract some of the best public school teachers I knew of. 
This all varies a lot by State but on average, a public school teacher makes about 17% more a year than a charter school teacher. Public schools also are more likely to be unionized where as charter schools aren't so there are more protections, better hours, more academic freedom, etc. The lower top end salaries and conditions also lead to charter school teachers not lasting nearly as long. Public school attrition rates are around 11-14% where as charter schools are 20-25%. Now Michigan is a State with a strong teachers union and good pay relative to cost of living. Here, charter schools are pretty much only for new teachers and teachers who can't get public school jobs. We have a ton of them because of the Devos family influence but Michigan charter schools have also been regularly found to to be the worst in the county when it comes to corruption and graft.  For example, Michigan has given $100,000 grants to 72 different charter schools that never opened. 

This Forbes article highlights all the money we have wasted on charter schools. 

Source

Source 2

Joe Bryant said:

I don't know any salaries but in my one personal example I know, the charter school was able to attract some of the best public school teachers I knew of. 
My wife worked at one for a year. Its operation was for profit. Paid dirt and class was filled to the brim. Limited support staff and what they had was primarily part time. Get as many kids in as possible and no matter what they do they stay. If you can teach something in between, great, but it isn't a priority. I'm surprised she stayed all year, but we needed the money then.

Some charter schools are great. Others are run like that. 

My wife worked at one for a year. Its operation was for profit. Paid dirt and class was filled to the brim. Limited support staff and what they had was primarily part time. Get as many kids in as possible and no matter what they do they stay. If you can teach something in between, great, but it isn't a priority. I'm surprised she stayed all year, but we needed the money then.

Some charter schools are great. Others are run like that. 
Yep and Michigan is one of the absolute worst because it allows for-profit schools. The Devos family are the biggest charter school proponents in the country and were practically able to write Michigan's charter school laws. This problem is very much their fault. I believe other States actually do have better charter school systems. On the other hand, Michigan has a good public education system so it's all relative. 

This all varies a lot by State but on average, a public school teacher makes about 17% more a year than a charter school teacher. Public schools also are more likely to be unionized where as charter schools aren't so there are more protections, better hours, more academic freedom, etc. The lower top end salaries and conditions also lead to charter school teachers not lasting nearly as long. Public school attrition rates are around 11-14% where as charter schools are 20-25%. Now Michigan is a State with a strong teachers union and good pay relative to cost of living. Here, charter schools are pretty much only for new teachers and teachers who can't get public school jobs. We have a ton of them because of the Devos family influence but Michigan charter schools have also been regularly found to to be the worst in the county when it comes to corruption and graft.  For example, Michigan has given $100,000 grants to 72 different charter schools that never opened. 

This Forbes article highlights all the money we have wasted on charter schools. 

Source

Source 2
I know we’re supposed to stay on our partisan sides, so this doesn’t really fit the narrative I guess then, but I saw a lot of this left and right divide well before Trump was elected.

I know we’re supposed to stay on our partisan sides, so this doesn’t really fit the narrative I guess then, but I saw a lot of this left and right divide well before Trump was elected.
I’m not sure what partisanship or Trump has to do with charter schools.

Joe Bryant said:

Like anything, there are good charter schools and bad charter schools. On whole though, they are a net negative.  Some States are better about regulating them than others and maybe if States doing it poorly learned from States doing it well, the system could be improved to be a net positive.

Ilov80s said:
The arguments against charter schools are 

- they pull money and resources from the public schools

- they often pull better students and families from public schools because of the inherent participation bias. A parent that is actively trying to find better options for their kid is probably more involved in general in their kids education 

- even though charter schools aren’t supposed to be able to, they often block students with special needs or behavior problems from their school 

- despite inherent advantages, charter schools perform generally the same or worse then comparable public schools 

- it varies state to state but often regulation on them is very poor which isn’t cool considering they are funded entirely through tax payer money 

- again varies state to state but they are sometimes operated for profit which means the goal is to take in the tax money, spend as little of it as possible on teaching the kids/operating the school and keep the unspent money as profit 
Thanks for this...had no idea.  I assume the first line item is true of our school.  Our tax dollars do go towards the school and I can't speak to the regulation in my state but the rest doesn't apply as best as I can tell.  I'll chalk it up to our school being the exception and being very fortunate that's the case?

I don't think llov80s was being political.  He was speaking of what has been going on in Michigan for quite a while....well before Devos became Education Secretary.  That family's money and influence had a direct impact on how charter schools came to be in Michigan.  It's only "political" now because of Betsy's appointment by Trump to his cabinet.  

Joe Bryant said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
It’s correct, there is much more resistance to charter schools on the left than the right.  
Thanks. Do you know why that is?
You have already had a few answers from those that have experience and knowledge on the subject.  I'm going to answer from the perspective of someone who has some ideas on the topic but no actual depth of knowledge.  In other words I'm going to reply from a general philosophy that may or may not mesh with any particular reality.  ETA:  I'm going to answer from the perspective of someone on the left, which in this case I think is a relatively common perspective.

So to cut to the chase charter schools are just a variation on vouchers and suffer from much of the same kinds of issues.  The most basic is that they are paid what it takes to educate an average student in a state but they generally educate the easiest (i.e. cheapest) students to educate which allow them to spend less on education to achieve about the same as a public school and keep the difference as profits.  But that difference is what the public school needed to educate those in poverty, those where English is a second language, those with special needs, those with poor family support systems,  etc..  What the public schools needed to educate the harder (i.e. more expensive) students.  And this is true even when the state regulations seem to prevent out right siphoning off of the brightest and best.

Again this is a big picture idea of what happens.  I know that some states only allow non profits to run the schools which may make things better.  I know that some public school systems are just horrible from decades worth of lack of resources.  I know that charter schools can do things differently such that they just create a natural better fit for specific students.  But in aggregate they take resources from the public school system that are needed for the harder to educate students and do, in aggregate just about as well in educating the easiest.

ETA:  Or this could be simplified

There is a political philosophy that if everyone does what is best for themselves that what is best for society will naturally follow.
There is another view that if everyone focused on what is best for society overall that the interest of most individuals will be best served.

In broad brushes one of these views is "right" and one is "left" and I think it applies here.

Again, more of my "sense" for how it seems to me locally - it seems like the people I see into charter schools are mostly the "Big government is inefficient and we can do this better" type folks. They see it more as a Tesla vs General Motors type thing. 

As far as educating for less money, my limited experience has been the kids I know going don't fit that mold. One is a kid who had discipline issues and was "encouraged" to leave the public high school. He loves the charter school and his dad feels like he's getting much better care there. That doesn't feel like the low cost way. But I've no idea what the other kids there are like. 

Another dumb question - how do "Magnet Schools" fit in this mix? 

Again, more of my "sense" for how it seems to me locally - it seems like the people I see into charter schools are mostly the "Big government is inefficient and we can do this better" type folks. They see it more as a Tesla vs General Motors type thing. 

As far as educating for less money, my limited experience has been the kids I know going don't fit that mold. One is a kid who had discipline issues and was "encouraged" to leave the public high school. He loves the charter school and his dad feels like he's getting much better care there. That doesn't feel like the low cost way. But I've no idea what the other kids there are like. 

They are being more efficient by using government money though. Charter schools are funded through taxes just like public schools. In some cases those are more efficient, in many cases they aren’t because of the redundancy.

You have to remember about talking in the average vs the specific is different. Think of it like the TE position in fantasy football. In general it’s not very good and people shouldn’t spend early round picks on TE. However, there is Travis Kelce. He’s great and well worth an early pick. We’ve also seen guys like Gronk, Graham, Kittle have seasons where they were uber valuable but that doesn’t change that on a whole the TE position is a dud. There are great charter schools that are heavily invested in the kids, are doing things the right way, etc. That’s not necessarily representative of the whole. I’ll admit I’m more biased against them because I teach in Michigan and we probably have the worst charter set-up in the county.

Magnet schools are just public schools that have specialized curriculum. Maybe it’s a special school with an emphasis on performing arts or it’s geared towards the the talented/gifted kids, etc. It’s part of the public school system just as a normal HS is.

This is what I loved about being in Rock Hill / Fort Mill area of SC.  Elementary and middle schools had areas of emphasis.  Some schools focused on STEM, others focused on foreign language, others more traditional, there was a montessori option etc.  There was basically a school for any type of child you could think of in that area.  Only place I've ever lived where this was true.  They were areas of expertise for each...still public schools, but there was a choice for "how" and "what" in learning.  Prior to moving our oldest son was in the montessori school and was thriving and he had already decided he wanted to do STEM work in middle/highschool.

Like anything, there are good charter schools and bad charter schools. On whole though, they are a net negative.  Some States are better about regulating them than others and maybe if States doing it poorly learned from States doing it well, the system could be improved to be a net positive.
I'm not as informed as I used to be about them, but I at least agreed about the net negative. I stopped paying attention once Devos was appointed secretary because nothing was going to change as long as she was in charge. Since her days are thankfully numbered it may be a topic to re-engage though.

The charter school setup is not a theoretically bad one as the one @The Commish has experienced is the desired outcome. Develop a structure that prioritizes the child's education and the money will follow. It isn't reality though. The lack of regulation cultivates a poor learning environment if leadership opts to use profits as the driver for decision making. I'd be making up a number to say how many fall into what bucket, but from our research last decade unfortunately the latter seemed to be substantially more common.

I'm not as informed as I used to be about them, but I at least agreed about the net negative. I stopped paying attention once Devos was appointed secretary because nothing was going to change as long as she was in charge. Since her days are thankfully numbered it may be a topic to re-engage though.

The charter school setup is not a theoretically bad one as the one @The Commish has experienced is the desired outcome. Develop a structure that prioritizes the child's education and the money will follow. It isn't reality though. The lack of regulation cultivates a poor learning environment if leadership opts to use profits as the driver for decision making. I'd be making up a number to say how many fall into what bucket, but from our research last decade unfortunately the latter seemed to be substantially more common.
Agreed. I’m not fundamentally against charter schools. It’s the execution that has been questionable to poor in so many places.

I haven't read the thread, but I assume there's some discussion of student-loan forgiveness.

I'll park this here: https://www.slowboring.com/p/the-case-for-canceling-a-lot-of-student

I disagree with Matthew Yglesias here, but I think his take is a good start to a potentially productive discussion.

General principle: there are normally two pretty good reasons to transfer money from one class of people to another:

1. The transfer is progressive and helps even out income/wealth distribution.

2. The transfer spurs useful economic activity by making unaffordable transactions more affordable.

My initial take on student-loan forgiveness.

1. Transferring money to college grads is not progressive. We should transfer money to the homeless, not to architects and accountants.

2. Subsidizing decisions people already made in the past doesn't stimulate useful economic behavior. If we're going to subsidize tuition to promote college education, it should be current and future tuition, not past tuition.

Matt's take:

1. The transfer wouldn't be from non-college grads to college grads. It would be to poor college grads (or drop-outs) from people better off than them. While this will never be better than giving the same amount of money to homeless people instead, it might be better than nothing.

2. [I don't think he really has an argument on point #2.]

The part of Matt's take that I might  be persuaded to come around on.

This is kind of like the minimum-wage argument. Minimum wage laws are plainly inferior to obviously better alternatives such as a basic income guarantee. (I'll skip the argument on that; for purposes of this exercise, just take it for granted.) But just because minimum wage laws are stupid compared to better alternatives, that doesn't mean they're stupid compared to doing nothing at all. It's possible that all of the better alternatives are politically infeasible, so the choice isn't between (a) something kind of dumb but maybe with some value and (b) something much better. The choice is instead between (a) something kind of dumb but maybe with some value and (b) nothing. In that comparison, it's possible that the first option wins.

Student loan-forgiveness will always be inferior to an alternative that better satisfies either of the two general principles stated above. But it might not be worse than doing nothing. (I still think it is, but I'm open to "might.") And the thing with student-loan forgiveness is that it could be much more politically feasible than any better alternative. A federal homelessness-relief program probably requires an act of Congress. A student-loan forgiveness program might require only an executive order. (I haven't evaluated the legal argument; I just know that some have made it.)

(Though this raises the separate issue of whether the executive should use orders to effect policies insufficiently popular to be enacted legislatively.)

So is forgiving (some) student loans maybe better than doing nothing? As a general rule, I think doing nothing is a vastly underrated option in most contexts. Doing nothing is effortless, costless, and it's hard to screw up. Doing something has significantly more potential to go wrong. But I suppose I'm not ready to rule it out entirely, depending on the details.

As a general rule, I think doing nothing is a vastly underrated option in most contexts. Doing nothing is effortless, costless, and it's hard to screw up. Doing something has significantly more potential to go wrong. But I suppose I'm not ready to rule it out entirely, depending on the details.
I think a distinction should be made between “status quo” and actually doing nothing.  The federal government is already very involved in the student loan process.  It’s doing stuff.  

So is forgiving (some) student loans maybe better than doing nothing? As a general rule, I think doing nothing is a vastly underrated option in most contexts. Doing nothing is effortless, costless, and it's hard to screw up. Doing something has significantly more potential to go wrong. But I suppose I'm not ready to rule it out entirely, depending on the details.
I think you got a bit carried away here.  Doing nothing might win a cost-benefit analysis over other options.  The benefits of doing nothing might simply outweigh the costs maybe by a lot, but there are still costs.

Users who are viewing this thread