What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN Article on Brady & Kraft Sabotaging the Future for Brady's Ego (1 Viewer)

The league MVP? They have Matt Ryan? Guess your dynasty isn't dead yet...
Ahhhhh so your just a bitter Falcon's fan? See you in 20 years when your team is a factor again. They had their shot and they BLEW it. They had like 100 Chances to hold their lead in that game and they LOST. Get over it. 

Ahhhhh so your just a bitter Falcon's fan? See you in 20 years when your team is a factor again. They had their shot and they BLEW it. They had like 100 Chances to hold their lead in that game and they LOST. Get over it. 
No, I don't like the Falcons either. Just pointing out who the reigning MVP of the league is. It certainly isn't Tom Brady, and he won't be this year, either, despite what Anarchy99 says.  

No, I don't like the Falcons either. Just pointing out who the reigning MVP of the league is. It certainly isn't Tom Brady, and he won't be this year, either, despite what Anarchy99 says.  
Why don't you post some opinions or points, or take a walk? Tolling does not help anyone here. 

With Brady being 40, they should have franchise tagged Garappolo for next year. I understand the whole "Brady is a legend, he has to be able to leave on his own terms' stuff, but teams have to also plane for the future. Father time creeps up quickly. It wouldn't be surprising if Brady looks way worse than Jimmy G by next season. P. Manning was MVP in 2013 and looked 75 years old by 2015.  Belichick will retire now when Brady does. He's going to let someone else drive the sinking ship. 

Again, IMO people are playing Monday Morning QB here.
Not really.

I listen to Mike Lombardi a lot. He scouted Jimmy while with Cleveland, wanted to pick him for the Browns, and in general he loves him some Jimmy G and obviously has worked with the Patriots and Bill. His confidence level in Jimmy before he ever took a snap in SF was 100%.

Ever since the trade went down, before Jimmy ever suited up in a game for SF, he's been railing non-stop that this trade just did not make any sense and he could not understand it. He spoke often of the succession plan referenced in the article, that he knew that was a big priority of BB's and he could not understand why he did this trade because Jimmy as the succession plan was always something BB wanted in place.

Now I had no idea how good Jimmy G would be with the 49'ers. I said I liked the trade when it happened, but did not know if he would look as good as he has. But I'll tell you what I did know and said on these boards more than once. Brady looks like he's slipping. I respect Brady greatly and he's still good but it's looked obvious to me this year that he's regressing

He will win by elimination. Wentz was the MVP, but with him getting injured and Russell Wilson's team failing to make the playoffs, he'll win by default.

Joint statement from Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, Head Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady:

"For the past 18 years, the three of us have enjoyed a very good and productive working relationship. In recent days, there have been multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate. The three of us share a common goal. We look forward to the enormous challenge of competing in the postseason and the opportunity to work together in the future, just as we have for the past 18 years. It is unfortunate that there is even a need for us to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."

Last I checked, Brady is -300 to win. Gurley is second at +200. You would need to bet $300 to win $100 on Brady and bet $100 to win $200 on Gurley. If my math is right, Vegas thinks Brady is 5 times more likely to be MVP than Gurley.

Why don't you post some opinions or points, or take a walk? Tolling does not help anyone here. 
Okay, I'll post some points. First of all, I'm not tolling. Nor trolling. Nor is the possessive version of "your" the way to address people. It's you are. You're. If anything, the homers are trolling. They just traded away two starting QBs in this league. It's a story. Sorry if you don't understand that. 

So I'll make a quick point. 

When you trade away two guys that started all year and did rather well when you have a 40 year-old quarterback whose body is based on snake oil, you've got a story.  

Last I checked, Brady is -300 to win. Gurley is second at +200. You would need to bet $300 to win $100 on Brady and bet $100 to win $200 on Gurley. If my math is right, Vegas thinks Brady is 5 times more likely to be MVP than Gurley.
I watched the Pats all year because two members of my family love them. He shouldn't be. At all. If anything, in the true sense of the MVP award, Jimmy G is.  

Joint statement from Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, Head Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady:

"For the past 18 years, the three of us have enjoyed a very good and productive working relationship. In recent days, there have been multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate. The three of us share a common goal. We look forward to the enormous challenge of competing in the postseason and the opportunity to work together in the future, just as we have for the past 18 years. It is unfortunate that there is even a need for us to respond to these fallacies. As our actions have shown, we stand united."
Wow, it's amazing how they all spoke in one voice.

Thank God for the honesty of the Patriots front office and the integrity of their quarterback.  

This isn’t my line but it is pretty much true, Brady has morphed into Tom Cruise. Replace Scientology with TB12 Institute.

Kraft messed up here, should have let Belichick trade Brady and keep Garoppolo. 

The one silver lining is this helps the Pats circle the wagons yet again heading into the playoffs.

With Brady being 40, they should have franchise tagged Garappolo for next year. I understand the whole "Brady is a legend, he has to be able to leave on his own terms' stuff, but teams have to also plane for the future. Father time creeps up quickly. It wouldn't be surprising if Brady looks way worse than Jimmy G by next season. P. Manning was MVP in 2013 and looked 75 years old by 2015.  Belichick will retire now when Brady does. He's going to let someone else drive the sinking ship. 
Sure, in a parallel universe without a salary cap. Brady's cap hit next year is $22 million. Franchising Garoppolo would be in the neighborhood of $25 million. That adds up to $47 million. Please explain to me how any team can devote $47 million to one position when only one of those players can be on the field at the same time. And feel free to elaborate on how you can field a title winning team with 30% of your cap space allocated to 2 guys. It wasn't a feasible option.

Sure, in a parallel universe without a salary cap. Brady's cap hit next year is $22 million. Franchising Garoppolo would be in the neighborhood of $25 million. That adds up to $47 million. Please explain to me how any team can devote $47 million to one position when only one of those players can be on the field at the same time. And feel free to elaborate on how you can field a title winning team with 30% of your cap space allocated to 2 guys. It wasn't a feasible option.
This is true, and Garappolo had basically asked out if he couldn't start, according to all reports. 

If anything, and this is where I don't troll, it's a credit to the Patriots organization that they had all these QBs. It's a testament to Belichick's loyalty that he stuck with Brady, because Garappolo had to look pretty darn good as an option going forward. 

Same with Brissett, even.  Not for Dorsett, though. That was a bad trade.  

Okay, I'll post some points. First of all, I'm not tolling. Nor trolling. Nor is the possessive version of "your" the way to address people. It's you are. You're. If anything, the homers are trolling. They just traded away two starting QBs in this league. It's a story. Sorry if you don't understand that. 

So I'll make a quick point. 

When you trade away two guys that started all year and did rather well when you have a 40 year-old quarterback whose body is based on snake oil, you've got a story.  
THIS is most of the crux of the story - whether you believe Brady could go to 45 like he wants to or not.  Looks like maybe Kraft does, and BB doesn't.   At the least, if Kraft doesn't believe it, he thinks Brady's earned the right to prove it.  

This isn’t my line but it is pretty much true, Brady has morphed into Tom Cruise. Replace Scientology with TB12 Institute.

Kraft messed up here, should have let Belichick trade Brady and keep Garoppolo. 

The one silver lining is this helps the Pats circle the wagons yet again heading into the playoffs.
Again, I don't get this perspective. NE won the SB last year, are favorites to win this year, and Brady is going to be MVP and led the league in all the nerdy analytics categories. JG was a complete roll of the dice. People are now way on the Garoppolo bandwagon because the Niners went on a winning streak. Brady has been playing banged up and the team is still winning. And in case anyone noticed, the Pats offense has been the walking wounded this year.

We can revisit this again this time next year when the Pats are 13-3 again and the Niners end up 6-10 once defensive coordinators have some game film to scheme on JG.

..and how you can pay your backup more than your 5 time SB winning starter.

THIS is most of the crux of the story - whether you believe Brady could go to 45 like he wants to or not.  Looks like maybe Kraft does, and BB doesn't.   At the least, if Kraft doesn't believe it, he thinks Brady's earned the right to prove it.  
Yeah, I was messing around before. There's really no way around this. 

I just gave the Patriots some, um, dap up top for having three starting quarterbacks on their squad. It's an impressive testament to scouting and development that they were able to do it. What they got in return for both is the story, and the jury's still out. I'm just having fun this morning.  

I'm bitter. We had Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in development this year. It's just...

Not close.  

Thats crazy talk

Again, I don't get this perspective. NE won the SB last year, are favorites to win this year, and Brady is going to be MVP and led the league in all the nerdy analytics categories. JG was a complete roll of the dice. People are now way on the Garoppolo bandwagon because the Niners went on a winning streak. Brady has been playing banged up and the team is still winning. And in case anyone noticed, the Pats offense has been the walking wounded this year.

We can revisit this again this time next year when the Pats are 13-3 again and the Niners end up 6-10 once defensive coordinators have some game film to scheme on JG.
Okay, I've been giving the Pats credit, but this is hyperbole and a half

I want all the things! 

You call Brady into the office and explain the situation. Simply tell him that we plan on using you as the starter as long as you want to be (or are no longer capable), but we've hit a salary cap problem. Can you work with us?

Pretty simple. Brady isn't stupid. He understands that New England has to think about 2 years from now, 5 years from now, 8 years from now. And he also practiced with Garappallo every day, so he knows how good he is. At that point, they will find out if Brady cares about the franchise or not. He's a filthy rich man with a wife who's even richer. The ball would be in his court then. And the Pats wouldn't look like bad guys if Brady decided he wanted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. 

Even worse. 

Jets. 

There are a bunch of us in the music drafts. Jets fans are generally the music-niks on the board. 

Me, Doc Oc, and CIA are all Jets fans.  
Nah, that's not worse.  Pitts fans are the worst, so I was hoping you weren't one of THOSE people.  ;)

You call Brady into the office and explain the situation. Simply tell him that we plan on using you as the starter as long as you want to be (or are no longer capable), but we've hit a salary cap problem. Can you work with us?

Pretty simple. Brady isn't stupid. He understands that New England has to think about 2 years from now, 5 years from now, 8 years from now. And he also practiced with Garappallo every day, so he knows how good he is. At that point, they will find out if Brady cares about the franchise or not. He's a filthy rich man with a wife who's even richer. The ball would be in his court then. And the Pats wouldn't look like bad guys if Brady decided he wanted out.
Where is his pay compared to some of the others in the league?  I honestly don't know, but I go the impression that he has taken pay cuts in the past for the benefit of the team - to get/keep Moss maybe??

Nah, that's not worse.  Pitts fans are the worst, so I was hoping you weren't one of THOSE people.  ;)
Heh. And my close family (father and nephew) are die-hard Pats fans, which is a long story but is what I deal with. 

I can see how loving the Pats or switching allegiances would be appealing, but I'm sticking with my team, bunkering down, and hoping for Queens and the Island to rise to prominence one day like Namath.  

Did you hear that Vampire Weekend is actually coming out with an album this year entitled Mitsubishi Macchiotta, according to AV Club? That might be a joke, but I'm not even sure.  

Some of the other comparisons I have seen aren't apples to oranges. 

"Well, the Niners traded Montana and went with Young." Sure, after Joe Cool missed a season and backed up Young for a season (when Young was the MVP).

"But the Packers went with Rodgers instead of Favre." Right after Favre had announced his retirement. Favre later changed his mind and GB basically said they had already moved on to Rodgers.

"The Cowboys picked Prescott over Romo." Dallas would have had a huge cap hit in keeping Romo, and he had basically missed almost two full seasons in a row and still had back issues.

None of these guys were anywhere near as productive as Brady has been this year or last year. Sure, at some point the wheels may fall off, but the fact remains they couldn't keep two QB's at full top tier starting salaries.

Some of the other comparisons I have seen aren't apples to oranges. 

"Well, the Niners traded Montana and went with Young." Sure, after Joe Cool missed a season and backed up Young for a season (when Young was the MVP).
You just gave the answer. The best quarterback in the history of the game backed up Steve Young for a season. 

So now Pat fans are going to start claiming Jimmy G isn't the real deal after spending last offseason screaming how he was worth one of Cleveland's first rounders? Pat fans are so hysterical.

Where is his pay compared to some of the others in the league?  I honestly don't know, but I go the impression that he has taken pay cuts in the past for the benefit of the team - to get/keep Moss maybe??
I remember reading about him doing that also.  Or reworked his contract to free money up at certain times.

You just gave the answer. The best quarterback in the history of the game backed up Steve Young for a season. 
Because he was hurt the year before and still not 100%. And Young went 14-2. Had Montana stayed healthy, who knows what would have happened with Young and if he ever really would have had the same career path that he did.

So now Pat fans are going to start claiming Jimmy G isn't the real deal after spending last offseason screaming how he was worth one of Cleveland's first rounders? Pat fans are so hysterical.
This is so true. I remember all year he was worth Cleveland's first and now he's leading a team with a multitude of great draft picks to 6-10 again after getting more familiar with Shanahan's system. Like I said, Anarchy is getting a little hyperbolic here.  

For the record, I think the Pats did the only thing they could have done by trading Jimmy G and I was also a big proponent of Jimmy G and felt teams should be trading for him.

I love Brady but I’m going to be a Pats fan long after he retires. My thoughts on them keeping Garoppolo are due to the fact that it seems like Bill certainly felt he could be the heir apparent. Also, I wouldn’t discount what Garoppolo has accomplished with the Niners. While his play has been impressive, so has the leadership skills he has provided that team from everything I’ve seen and read. Some guys have IT and the Pats could have had a QB with the IT factor for 3 decades. 

SF still has the same mediocre team (for now) as they did the past 2 few seasons. A lot can change in a year, but let's see how they draft, who they bring in, and how they spend their bounty of cap dollars. The point was let's see more than a few games how this plays out. Some folks thing that the Pats are suddenly going to implode while SF goes to the SB. Let's revisit this next year at this time.

For the record, I think the Pats did the only thing they could have done by trading Jimmy G and I was also a big proponent of Jimmy G and felt teams should be trading for him.
I think essentially you are correct. The Pats had no choice. Brady forced their hand, knowing they'd look terrible trading him. 

SF still has the same mediocre team (for now) as they did the past 2 few seasons. A lot can change in a year, but let's see how they draft, who they bring in, and how they spend their bounty of cap dollars. The point was let's see more than a few games how this plays out. Some folks thing that the Pats are suddenly going to implode while SF goes to the SB. Let's revisit this next year at this time.
Not really. I've got the Pats winning the SB this year and likely next. But we can revisit in five years or so, and this will have been bad for the Pats dynasty.  

Brady was the 19th highest cap number in 2017 for QB's.

I think essentially you are correct. The Pats had no choice. Brady forced their hand, knowing they'd look terrible trading him. 
True but I think he forced their hand because he knew or worried that Bill did not care if he looked terrible to the outside world.

Users who are viewing this thread