What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

European Trip - Drive or Fly/Train for this Itinerary? (1 Viewer)

scorchy

Footballguy
Wasn't sure whether to latch on to another Europe thread or start my own. Decided on the latter, so here goes:

Me, my wife, and my 11 year-old son are going to Europe for 2.5 weeks in late June into July. We pretty much have our itinerary set, except how to get from city to city. Because we are flying on points, it's really easy to do stopovers and open-jaws for no extra charge, with a train ride and a brief car rental for other segments. On the other hand, we've also really enjoyed driving through Europe (especially Norway and Switzerland) and it gives an option to briefly visit a couple of places that we wouldn't get to see by flying/taking the train.

We typically break our trips up into city stays and mountain lodges (my son loves to hike) and decided to focus on Central Europe with a side of Dolomites this time around. We're starting in Munich (great place to relax and get over jet lag) then heading on from there, spending 5 days in the mountains then 3-4 days apiece in Budapest and Prague (sorry Dr. Detroit). The first option would be:

fly to Munich - (rent car) - drive to Dolomites - (return car to Munich) - train to Prague - fly to Budapest - fly home to DC

Except for having to return the car to Munich (thanks to huge surcharges for returning to another country) this seems relatively easy.

The second option is:

fly to Munich - (rent car) - drive to Dolomites - drive to Budapest (stopping over for a night in Slovenia) - drive to Prague (stopping for a day or night in Bratislava) - drive to Dresden - fly home to DC

This keeps us from doubling back to Munich and allows to see a few places (however briefly) that we may never get back to. I know the car is kind of a wasted cost for the nights we're in Budapest and Prague (would just park it and leave it) but it's a trade-off we can accept. There's no extra charge for renting a car in Munich and returning to Dresden.

If it's not obvious, I'm leaning toward the driving route, maybe because I'm just a typical car-loving American tourist. Am I missing something that would make the fly/train option the clear winner?

You plan on going to the Eagle's Nest and Garmisch? Salzburg?

If so this itinerary is pretty good IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stopped for a while in Salzburg when we went spent 5 days in Austria in 2014. Didn't make it to the Eagles Nest/Garmisch though. Where do you stand on the driving thing?

Stopped for a while in Salzburg when we went spent 5 days in Austria in 2014. Didn't make it to the Eagles Nest/Garmisch though. Where do you stand on the driving thing?
Definitely drive in that part of Europe, very easy. You're a DC metro driver, piece of cake mang.

The driving I've done in Europe has been a lot of fun, particularly on back roads. You see crazy stuff back there, like Roman baths and centuries-old stone farmhouses that I get a kick out of, but nobody would ever put on an itinerary to see.

The driving I've done in Europe has been a lot of fun, particularly on back roads. You see crazy stuff back there, like Roman baths and centuries-old stone farmhouses that I get a kick out of, but nobody would ever put on an itinerary to see.
Agreed. Italy was a little worrisome because of all the speed cameras and I had a minor freakout at an automated tollbooth in France, but everything else was smooth. Nice to drive in a place where people stay out of the left lane except to pass and aren't confounded by roundabouts.

Users who are viewing this thread