What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every branch of the U.S. military is struggling to meet its 2022 recruiting goals (1 Viewer)

I guess it all boils down to what abusing the system means to each person. Take myself for example. I filed a VA rating. They gave me a percentage. I was turned on to a lawyer who helps with claims. They refiled my stuff and I was bumped up 50% just based on how they worded my filing and the doctors used to evaluate my conditions. My medical record is still my medical record. The lawyers just know what words to use, so yeah its a game...
My wife performs psychological evaluations on veterans to qualify them for military benefits. Of the hundreds of soldiers she's met with, she said only a handful were clearly gaming the system. Most of them do carry some level of PTSD around with them. Anecdotally, of the family, friends and acquaintances I know that went into the military, all of them came home from basic as different people than when they left. Flat out, joining the US armed forces changes people. You may argue that many of them change for the better, and in some cases, that might be true. But in my experience, the changes aren't typically positive. And the PTSD, even in soldiers that never saw live combat, is very real.

I would never besmirch you or anyone else that chose a path of service. But I sure as hell don't want my kids to do it. It's a great way to get F'ed up in a hurry.
Please tell her thank you for her service to Vets.
Thanks, I will. Her work is not entirely altruistic, she's well compensated for it. But since getting into it, she's been deeply affected by things veterans share with her and does her level best to ensure they get the benefits they deserve, even in cases where benefits aren't wanted, which is more common than you would think.

I guess it all boils down to what abusing the system means to each person. Take myself for example. I filed a VA rating. They gave me a percentage. I was turned on to a lawyer who helps with claims. They refiled my stuff and I was bumped up 50% just based on how they worded my filing and the doctors used to evaluate my conditions. My medical record is still my medical record. The lawyers just know what words to use, so yeah its a game...
My wife performs psychological evaluations on veterans to qualify them for military benefits. Of the hundreds of soldiers she's met with, she said only a handful were clearly gaming the system. Most of them do carry some level of PTSD around with them. Anecdotally, of the family, friends and acquaintances I know that went into the military, all of them came home from basic as different people than when they left. Flat out, joining the US armed forces changes people. You may argue that many of them change for the better, and in some cases, that might be true. But in my experience, the changes aren't typically positive. And the PTSD, even in soldiers that never saw live combat, is very real.

I would never besmirch you or anyone else that chose a path of service. But I sure as hell don't want my kids to do it. It's a great way to get F'ed up in a hurry.
I'm in the process of getting my first claim together. I got out in '03 and my knees are getting bad. I've always known that I would eventually want them covered to get them replaced and that my time in is definitely what messed them up. So, while I'm waiting on getting my old medical records, I've been looking through at what else is claimable. I have a TBI incident while I was in an finding a bunch of stuff stemming from that, stuff I'm experiencing that may be related to it. Kinda wish I'd done this a long time ago. Part of me didn't want to claim until I absolutely had to, I'm still walking around and know folks who lost limbs and the like. But now that I'm going to go ahead and claim, I want to make sure I get what I can. Hoping for +50% so I pick up lifetime full healthcare, not sure if I'll get there though.

No PTSD for me thankfully though. I'm really lucky in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread