What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Everyone is sleeping on.... (1 Viewer)

May have been mentioned already, but I would nominate Ryan Williams.Granted, he has his own significant injury to deal with, but if his recovery continues on the right path and he comes out of the gates strong - while Beanie doesn't return to health or gets hurt again - Williams could take the job for good.
I'm optimistic about his health but as long as Wells is healthy he's going to be the main back on non-passing downs this season. However, Wells doesn't have an injury history so Williams is a nice flyer to take late. His ADP in the 8th round is about where it should be given the risk, but there's a very good chance he outperforms it.
Williams doesn't get drafted if Beanie was the guy. Williams healthy > Wells

May have been mentioned already, but I would nominate Ryan Williams.Granted, he has his own significant injury to deal with, but if his recovery continues on the right path and he comes out of the gates strong - while Beanie doesn't return to health or gets hurt again - Williams could take the job for good.
I'm optimistic about his health but as long as Wells is healthy he's going to be the main back on non-passing downs this season. However, Wells doesn't have an injury history so Williams is a nice flyer to take late. His ADP in the 8th round is about where it should be given the risk, but there's a very good chance he outperforms it.
Personally I am not drafting either guy. The OL is HORRIBLE. So this looks like RBBC on a team that has no OL... I will pass.

Personally I am not drafting either guy. The OL is HORRIBLE. So this looks like RBBC on a team that has no OL... I will pass.
If the price is reasonable, I'd take Williams just because Kolb will check down to him on 3rd down 60 times a season...I could see him with 45+ receptions.

If the price is reasonable, I'd take Williams just because Kolb will check down to him on 3rd down 60 times a season...I could see him with 45+ receptions.
Kneecap floating in the thigh is just as bad as an ACL injury. Beanie's knee issues could be chronic. Terrible oline. Pass on both.

Kneecap floating in the thigh is just as bad as an ACL injury. Beanie's knee issues could be chronic. Terrible oline. Pass on both.
My post was assuming decent health.

'cstu said:
'zamboni said:
May have been mentioned already, but I would nominate Ryan Williams.

Granted, he has his own significant injury to deal with, but if his recovery continues on the right path and he comes out of the gates strong - while Beanie doesn't return to health or gets hurt again - Williams could take the job for good.
Is the bolded part a typo?

Kellen Davis. Martz is gone. They plan on using him now. Of course, they wish they never traded Olsen. Martz leaves a path of destruction behind him yet again but here Davis benefits. He can be had real late.

i like eric decker in a PPR way better than his consensus 30 ranking... he's a catching machine and runs great routes. thinking he will be peyton's favorite target because of his consistency. should be targeted more than d. thomas... if manning stays healthy then decker a top 20 WR.

Kellen Davis. Martz is gone. They plan on using him now. Of course, they wish they never traded Olsen. Martz leaves a path of destruction behind him yet again but here Davis benefits. He can be had real late.
You are not the first person to suggest this, but I am wondering where this sentiment is coming from. In 4 years in MIN, Jermaine Wiggins had a couple of decent seasons for PPR leagues (71-705-4 and 69-568-4), but the TE position the other years was mostly an after thought. Most rookie TEs don't do that much. Given that TE1s for fantasy in 0 PPR leagues are scoring in the 110s+ at a minimum, I am not sure Davis will be that fantasy relevant this season. He would be of interest in start 2 TE leagues, but in start 1 TE leagues I don't see him having much of an impact.

You are not the first person to suggest this, but I am wondering where this sentiment is coming from. In 4 years in MIN, Jermaine Wiggins had a couple of decent seasons for PPR leagues (71-705-4 and 69-568-4), but the TE position the other years was mostly an after thought. Most rookie TEs don't do that much. Given that TE1s for fantasy in 0 PPR leagues are scoring in the 110s+ at a minimum, I am not sure Davis will be that fantasy relevant this season. He would be of interest in start 2 TE leagues, but in start 1 TE leagues I don't see him having much of an impact.
Davis is not a rookie.

Davis is not a rookie.
I'm confusing him with Rodriguez. The stuff about Tice's offense previously not using the TE spot a ton (compared to recent top TEs) is still applicable. Realistically, what sort of numbers are you projecting out of Davis?

'cstu said:
'zamboni said:
Oversimplification much?The same assumption could've been made prior to DeAngelo's breakout. To say a totally unproven guy who sustatained a major injury last year is better than a guy who had a good season on a terrible team is, well, ridiculous. That being said, with Wells' injury history I think the price is right for Williams. Caddy came back from the same injury - he wasn't ever the same, but he did have two of those injuries, not just one. I'll take a gamble at RB45.

Davis is not a rookie.
I'm confusing him with Rodriguez. The stuff about Tice's offense previously not using the TE spot a ton (compared to recent top TEs) is still applicable. Realistically, what sort of numbers are you projecting out of Davis?
Well, I wasn't projecting anything. I was just pointing out he's not a rookie, which as you suggested is significant.But there has been some nice offseason hype around Davis. Marshall should get some attention from the defense, and I don't think any of the other WRs are a real big threat to be big producers. So I think the POTENTIAL is there for Davis to break out with 50-60 catches and 6-10 TDs. I'm not saying I think that will happen, but I think it could, and based on that, he's a guy I'd try to acquire since his cost is so cheap.

Davis is not a rookie.
Well, I wasn't projecting anything. I was just pointing out he's not a rookie, which as you suggested is significant.But there has been some nice offseason hype around Davis. Marshall should get some attention from the defense, and I don't think any of the other WRs are a real big threat to be big producers. So I think the POTENTIAL is there for Davis to break out with 50-60 catches and 6-10 TDs. I'm not saying I think that will happen, but I think it could, and based on that, he's a guy I'd try to acquire since his cost is so cheap.
I forgot about Tice being there. That is a problem as he is horrid but they will have to put up points in that division to win. Bennett is nothing. The rookie won't get much. Hester is nothing. He's the 2nd or 3rd best option if used correctly. I wouldn't roll the dice with the guy but if you happen to pick a stud TE, get this guy real cheap later on & he pans out, you could trade your stud TE if you needed help elsewhere. 6 TD's should definately be the floor since he had 5 on 18 catches with Martz. He will be on the field a lot with Spaeth behind him and obviously is a Cutler target in the redzone.

Austin Collie... He will be starting and Reggie Wayne still demands some coverage. He is great in the slot and Luck is a capable QB. Obviously there are the concussion concerns, but you can get Collie for a bag of peanuts.
Throwing between the numbers is an option that looks good especially for young QB's so Collie will get targets because of it.Rotoworld) After Tuesday's practice, Colts coach Chuck Pagano noted that Andrew Luck is "off the charts in terms of football IQ." Analysis: "He hasn't missed a beat," said Pagano after Luck completed 15-of-16 passes during 11-on-11 drills in Tuesday's practice. Added Austin Collie, who was Luck's favorite receiver in practice, "The kid has got it." Beat writer George Bremer confirms that "to the surprise of pretty much nobody," Luck was "impressive."
(Rotoworld) The Colts are giving Austin Collie a legitimate chance to secure the outside receiver job opposite Reggie Wayne in training camp. Analysis: Collie is already locked in as Indy's slot receiver, but he's getting a long look as the first-team flanker. "Before I was more like the security blanket," Collie explained. "Now I am going to focus on being able to make the big play down the field." Emerging as an every-down receiver would be a big help to Collie's fantasy value. He'll have to beat out Donnie Avery and rookie LaVon Brazill.

Austin Collie... He will be starting and Reggie Wayne still demands some coverage. He is great in the slot and Luck is a capable QB. Obviously there are the concussion concerns, but you can get Collie for a bag of peanuts.
Throwing between the numbers is an option that looks good especially for young QB's so Collie will get targets because of it.Rotoworld) After Tuesday's practice, Colts coach Chuck Pagano noted that Andrew Luck is "off the charts in terms of football IQ." Analysis: "He hasn't missed a beat," said Pagano after Luck completed 15-of-16 passes during 11-on-11 drills in Tuesday's practice. Added Austin Collie, who was Luck's favorite receiver in practice, "The kid has got it." Beat writer George Bremer confirms that "to the surprise of pretty much nobody," Luck was "impressive."
(Rotoworld) The Colts are giving Austin Collie a legitimate chance to secure the outside receiver job opposite Reggie Wayne in training camp. Analysis: Collie is already locked in as Indy's slot receiver, but he's getting a long look as the first-team flanker. "Before I was more like the security blanket," Collie explained. "Now I am going to focus on being able to make the big play down the field." Emerging as an every-down receiver would be a big help to Collie's fantasy value. He'll have to beat out Donnie Avery and rookie LaVon Brazill.
Head coach Chuck Pagano said he is pleased with how quickly QB Andrew Luck and Collie have jelled.

Might have already been mentioned, but Donald Brown.

He did well down the stretch last season, and even though some think he wasn't impressive with the opportunity, he's had all off-season to think and prepair for the lead role. I think he comes into 2012 looking strong. For a starting RB lined up for over 200 totes who can be had in the middle rounds of redrafts (or for a reasonable price in dynasties), along with the potential to finish as high as RB10-15, he's a good addition with a lower bust risk then many others.

He did well down the stretch last season, and even though some think he wasn't impressive with the opportunity, he's had all off-season to think and prepair for the lead role. I think he comes into 2012 looking strong. For a starting RB lined up for over 200 totes who can be had in the middle rounds of redrafts (or for a reasonable price in dynasties), along with the potential to finish as high as RB10-15, he's a good addition with a lower bust risk then many others.
He was absolute garbage with the exception of one game.

Kevin Smith

I'm not saying that he is going to be a stud but his situation could make him a nice late round draft pick.

- Jahvid Best has had multiple concussion issues and with concussions being in the spot light the last couple years he won't see the field if he shows any kind of symptoms.

- Mikel Leshoure has off-field issues, has yet to see action in a real NFL game because of a season ending Achilles injury last preseason, and now is missing time in training camp because of a hamstring issues.

Randall Cobb.
is he going to be the de facto #3 in GB this year or is James Jones still in his way?
Honestly do not know, but I do think he far exceeds James Jones' ability. The word out of camp so far is impressive:"(KFFL) Green Bay Packers WR Randall Cobb, a second-year pro, has had an eye-catching start to training camp. If he keeps it up, it may be impossible for the Packers to keep him off of the field even though he is going to continue as the team's primary return man. Early in training camp, Cobb has made more big plays and has been used a variety of ways - more so than any of the team's other receivers. He has had several big receptions in training camp, using his speed to blow past defenders. Cobb was the team's No. 5 receiver last year, but head coach Mike McCarthy entered the offseason looking for ways to expand his role in the offense. Cobb (5'10, 192 pounds) primarily plays out of the slot due to his size and speed, and it appears he'll be the team's No. 1 option out of the slot this season. During training camp, he has lined up several times in the backfield. A year ago, he occasionally lined up there as the team's Wildcat quarterback. During the offseason, Cobb said he made it a point to improve his route running so QB Aaron Rodgers would trust him more. "I think I have a pretty good understanding of this offense and my role," Cobb said. McCarthy said he's a versatile player and it is "important" for the team to always create schemes where they are giving their players an opportunity to succeed. However, if the Packers continue to commit to him on special teams, it could come at the expense of some receiver snaps."

If you gloss over the fantasy stats, yeah, he wasn't impressive at all. But I think that's exactly why he's being overlooked now. Of the last 6 games of the season, he scored 3 TDs and 280+ yards in the 3 games that weren't played against top 10 rushing defenses, while never getting more than 16 carries in any of them (14,14 and 16 respectively). The other 3 games were played against top 10 rush Ds that dared Indy to beat them through the air with a trio of bench-warmer QBs on their roster. DB ran sparingly in those games, breaking double digit carries in a game only once (for 11). I'm not saying he'll ever be a fantasy RB1, but with the much better upgrade at QB and a speed-orientated air game, I don't think the better run Ds will be able to completely get away with forcing Indy to pass like they easily did in 2011. That'll give DB a chance to work up a rhythm in tougher games that he wasn't afforded last year, and if he can continue to produce as well as he did against the softer run Ds, I see no reason why he can't be a pretty good RB2 or a sweet RB3 for any fantasy team. But to each their own. I'd be more than happy if everyone believes he's garbage!

I am not saying this guy will win the job outright, but with where his ADP is currently at (RB 64), he is worth a look in deeper leagues:

Shanahan on Royster: 'You can't tackle him'

By Tarik El-Bashir

CSNwashington.com

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan insists he hasn’t decided how he’s going to handle the team’s trio of running backs.

Evan Royster hopes to make the decision for him.

To win the starting job, though, the second-year Fairfax, Va., native must outperform Roy Helu Jr. and Tim Hightower in the coming weeks.

“We’re all trying to do that,” Royster said. “So it’s going to be tough.”

Indeed, the battle figures to be intense.

Helu has a better burst than the others and has stood out through three days of training camp. Hightower is the most experienced, as well as the best pass catcher and blocker, but he’s still easing his way back into playing shape after a knee injury cut his 2011 season short.

Royster’s strengths? Well, singling out what he does well is as difficult as taking him down.

“Story of my life,” he said with a smile. “I’ve been told my whole life that I wasn’t fast enough. But I made it work to this point, so I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve done the past 15 years.”

Royster gained 328 yards on 56 attempts as a rookie and averaged a team-best 5.9 yards per carry. He started the final two games of the season, racking up 132 yards, against Minnesota, and 113 against Philadelphia.

Asked what he likes about Royster, Shanahan didn’t hesitate.

“You can’t tackle him,” the coach said. “He makes people miss. He knows how to cut [and] and he knows when to cut.”

Royster said his familiarity with Shanahan’s offense has, at times, proven to be an advantage as he adapts to the pro game.

“I guess I’m comfortable with the ‘inside zone’,” he said. “I ran a very similar offense with [Coach Tom] Verbanic at [Westfield High in Chantilly] and again at Penn State. I’ve just been doing it so long, I feel comfortable.”

If there’s one thing Royster wants to improve upon this season, he said, it’s his conditioning.

“The big thing for me at the end of last season was being in game shape,” said the 24-year-old, who was used sparingly until mid-December, when he took over for an ailing Helu. “I wasn’t used to getting out there and taking all those reps, especially in the Philly game when] I came out and I was cramping through my whole body. I wasn’t prepared for what I needed to do.”

“So that’s my focus this year: doing what I need to do be ready for games,” he added.

And, of course, winning the starting job.

This is my favorite current thread going.

Any new thoughts on these with the first day of training camp behind us?

First game is Sunday, folks, Saints vs Somebody Else.

From everything I've heard from camp so far, Kyle Rudolph is going to see a ton of targets in Minnesota, and Harvin will be taking all the coverage, so I think he will have a good year.

Too bad Williams =/= healthy

so in these games he was absolute garbage? (taking out his 160+ yd game, which I assume is the "exception"). 10/16 - 5 carries, 38 yds, 7 ypc, 1 TD, 2 catches, 16 yds

10/23 - 9 carries, 47 yds, 5.2 ypc

11/6 - 16 carries, 70 yds, 4.4 ypc, 1 catch, 1 yd

11/27 - 14 carries, 80 yds, 5.7 ypc, 1 TD, 1 catch, 17 yds

I have no problem if people aren't high on him or think he'll fail, but to say he was "absolute garbage" seems a bit harsh and incorrect.

This thread is not just about your individual list of sleepers. But rather who you think is that one guy that no one seems to be talking much about. Someone that only your fantasy genius mind looks at and says "BREAKOUT ALERT!" even if the pack mentality hasn't quite caught up with your superior intellect yet.For me that guy is Donald Brown. I like to look for players who have shown clear sign of improvement, development and maturity. Brown has done all of that. I like to look for guys who may not have played much but has shown few but unmistakable flashes of big time play making ability. Check mark on Brown again. Not to toot my own horn too much but I have been on a very very good streak picking these types of guys the last few years. I hit on Ray Rice in 09, Foster in 10, and Wells in '11. I targeted all three of them specifically as must have sleepers and made sure I got them. Take that for what you will but this year that guy is Brown. High end RB2 floor, top 5-8 ceiling, both ppr and standard and very few people are talking about him.Who do you think everyone is sleeping on?
sehornbut OTTOMH kevin smith jared cook andrew luck (redraft) donald brown (c/n agree more) and michael turner (not nearly as DOA as he is beinggiven 'credit' for)

I think people are writing off Michael Crabtree too early. His second half of the season he turned in nice production. This is the first time that he'llA. Be present for a full round of OTA's and mini camps.B. Be healthy, as his foot problems seem to be a thing of the past.C. Going into a season not having to deal with a new offense, or wondering who his quarterback will be.I think Crabtree stands to benefit more than any other 49er this year. Teams have to focus on Vernon Davis, and are going to try to prevent Manningham/Moss from going deep. I think Crabtree will have a lot of room to work, so I expect a lot of receptions and 8 or so TD's.Nate Washington could potentially fall into the category as well. With the names of Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright on the roster I think many will look at him as the third guy in the pecking order. I've read that for this year at least, Kendall Wright will be playing the same position behind Kenny Britt. There will be a learning curve with Wright, and why I like his long term potential, I don't think he shows it this year.Meanwhile, Kenny Britt's knee still isn't 100% and could have to go in for a clean up procedure. They can say it's minor, but given Britt's history of injuries I don't think we can call any surgery minor. I wouldn't be shocked to see Nat Washington duplicate, or maybe improve a little over last years numbers.
also agree on NW. similarily locker is a steal wherever u draft him. he is light years better than mhass the whole offense will be better w/locker.

Meachem. 1.75 fantasy points (no ppr) per career target. If he doubles his career high in targets (64), he'll score 200 plus points (again, standard) and be an absolute steal anywhere close to current ADP.
The reason Meachem's targets are low and points per target are high is because he only runs deep routes, which just so happens to be the same type of routes San Diego will have him run.
I saw a guy catch a 30 yarder on a punt fake last year. 30 yards per route! He's on pace for about 30, 000 yards this year. Take that to the bank. It totally works like that.

Anyone have a projection for Titus Young. 600 and 6 TDs last year. With the attention Megatron gets, seems like he could go over 1,000 with 8 or 9 scores to become a WR2 that you could draft like a low-end WR3.

Anyone have a projection for Titus Young. 600 and 6 TDs last year. With the attention Megatron gets, seems like he could go over 1,000 with 8 or 9 scores to become a WR2 that you could draft like a low-end WR3.
I'd agree, if I didn't think that Broyles would become a fast favorite of Stafford's out of the slot.

Michael Turner

Even with 250 carries, I see him as a 1200 yard, 10-15 TD back. Rodgers will get an increase in touches, but they're going to quickly find out 30 year old Turner is the vastly vastly vastly vastly vastly superior option between the tackles.

Rodgers is a nice CoP receiving option/dimension for ATL, but he is a pedestrian talent running the football.

I LOVE Young and think he will hit 1,000 this year...not big TDs but good yards.

I'd agree, if I didn't think that Broyles would become a fast favorite of Stafford's out of the slot.
Broyles is no threat to Young. He will be playing the slot while Young takes over the WR2 position or years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread