What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Excessively hot basement (2 Viewers)

this thread legitimately has me shook.

Ive talked to every tradesman I know and they think this is absolute BS. 

but now that you're hitting those readings on the furnace, Id like to touch base w them again

Furnace guy is playing dumb because he's running a small scale meth lab in the furnace?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, to be fair, the furnace is probably the last thing one would have suspected.
It's an 85 degree basement when the rest of the house is much cooler.  It's like bizarro world.  I would be checking everything like I was looking for the antidote.  

So did you or did you not yet turn EVERYTHING off and see what happens?  If the temp gets lower, you could then turn things on one at a time and................ah nevermind.  

So did you or did you not yet turn EVERYTHING off and see what happens?  If the temp gets lower, you could then turn things on one at a time and................ah nevermind.  
Well, turning off the furnace and boiler mean no hot water in the showers and inability to do laundry.

As I am married and have women in the house, that's a non-starter.

Temperatures on various things in/around the furnace and boiler using temperature gun:

Furnace plate - 107

Furnace face - 95

Furnace right side plate - 89

Furnace aluminum pipe - 82

Furnace copper pipe - 94

Blue boiler body - 88

Blue boiler top - 93

Readings done 9:15pm Saturday night.

Well, turning off the furnace and boiler mean no hot water in the showers and inability to do laundry.

Temperatures on various things in/around the furnace and boiler using temperature gun:

Furnace plate - 107

Furnace face - 95

Furnace copper pipe - 94

Blue boiler body - 88

Blue boiler top - 93

I asked this earlier, but didn't see an answer:

Have you had this issue every summer you've been in this house?

I asked this earlier, but didn't see an answer:

Have you had this issue every summer you've been in this house?
More like the last couple.  And there really have been no changes/additions to anything in the basement in that time.

More like the last couple.  And there really have been no changes/additions to anything in the basement in that time.
How about changes to the family? More kids & their activities, laundry, showers, etc...?

I'm betting it's your HW heating system and that nothing is "wrong" or "broken". 

I mentioned before that my brother has the same type of set up. His boiler and HW heater are in a utility room that has a door to the rest of the house and a window in the room, so he can control the ambient heat somewhat.

I don't know how your basement is set up, but maybe isolating/exhausting that area will help.

How about changes to the family? More kids & their activities, laundry, showers, etc...?

I'm betting it's your HW heating system and that nothing is "wrong" or "broken". 

I mentioned before that my brother has the same type of set up. His boiler and HW heater are in a utility room that has a door to the rest of the house and a window in the room, so he can control the ambient heat somewhat.

I don't know how your basement is set up, but maybe isolating/exhausting that area will help.
No new children (done there), no more laundry or showers or anything like that.

Could very well be the hot water heating system because the furnace guy left me a vmm asking me to let him know the temperatures for various things using a temperature gun INCLUDING the boiler.  Don't recall him checking that when he was out here last year.

Furnace plate - 107

Furnace face - 95

Furnace copper pipe - 94

Blue boiler body - 88

Blue boiler top - 93

Wacky idea, but get your laundry done, and have everyone take a shower, then turn it off.  VERY simple, cmon man.  

You might have a geological disaster brewing 10 feet below where you live.  I think you can figure out how to make this happen.  

Let your family stay in a hotel for one day while you get down and dirty and figure this sucker out.  

Have a party.  Whoever "figures it out" wins the door prize.

No new children (done there), no more laundry or showers or anything like that.

Could very well be the hot water heating system because the furnace guy left me a vmm asking me to let him know the temperatures for various things using a temperature gun INCLUDING the boiler.  Don't recall him checking that when he was out here last year.
Dont call that guy back.

Questions.  When the basement is 85, what is the temp upstairs?

WHy isnt this a problem in the winter?  Is the basement warmer in the winter also?

ghostguy123 said:
Dont call that guy back.

Questions.  When the basement is 85, what is the temp upstairs?

WHy isnt this a problem in the winter?  Is the basement warmer in the winter also?
Temperature is fine upstairs.

Why isn't it a problem in the winter?  Uh, you might be askin' the wrong person.  :yes:

Not a problem in the winter.

you stated that the basement has a "zone" for heat ... safe to assume that you have baseboard heaters down there?

I would start with those ... point the thermal gun thingy there ... if those suckers are warm then the valve is still open. Could probably tell just by putting your hand on them.

... also, I would think the furnace / boiler would have some type of insulation to prevent heat loss. If not, I'd ask furnace guy if that is an option.

If the hot water is not insulated then;

a) heat is escaping into the basement ...

and b) the furnace is having to work harder to keep the water hot ... causing more basement heat

gb the FFA. sometimes it can make amazing things happen and pull together to support a FBG.

and then there are times like these where vultures pick at the carrion from every possible angle and attack until the bones are dust.

all practical thought and reason gets thrown out the door and people try to top each other with insults and accusations of incompetence. i'd bet 95% of you louts have some as yet unsolved problem at home that could be ripped to shreds here.  if you're married and/or have kids then it's a guarantee.

Do any of you suffer from this?

My basement through much of the summer is really hot. This summer has been the worst. In the hottest times, it averages 85/86/87 degrees. 

We do have a fairly new dehumidifier that runs and keeps the moisture level at 50%. 

We have had our furnace checked out and it is not that either. 

The house was built in 1999. It is in southeastern Mass  

Any thoughts?
I was in your neck of the woods last week. It was hot af, and I am from Arkansas.

I haven't read the thread but it's a week old and assuming people have thrown out ideas and no one has solved it yet my two are

1) There is an opening to hell in your basement. I saw a movie/documentary like this once and I think it's technically possible. Please watch for demons.

b) Check for raging fires

does exposed insulation kick off a lot of heat?

our old house had exposed insulation in the attic crawlspace and it was a ####### sauna in there, bah gawd

does exposed insulation kick off a lot of heat?

our old house had exposed insulation in the attic crawlspace and it was a ####### sauna in there, bah gawd
No.

Insulation in the attic but between the floor joists and the plywood flooring I put in, not the ceiling joists and the roof. 

Every time I see this thread title I think how much more interesting it would be if the words "chick in my" were inserted after "Excessively hot."

I'm thinking that the insulation is the issue here.  The furnace/boiler/whatever is putting off some heat.  The room is mostly underground (which acts like great insulation and doesn't let heat escape) - and then the ceiling itself it insulated, not letting the heat escape upward (it's natural path), and is trapping it all down there.  If you have windows, or a vent, or exhaust fan or something similar like that to just bring in some (theoretically cooler) outside air, that would help. 

Am I misremembering, or didn't Spike say he inspected the ducting from the dryer?

This is a ventless dryer?  No duct?
Dryer vent is connected properly to the dryer, totally cleaned out and correctly vented out of the house. 

The picture simply didn’t show the ducting. 

I'm thinking that the insulation is the issue here.  The furnace/boiler/whatever is putting off some heat.  The room is mostly underground (which acts like great insulation and doesn't let heat escape - and then the ceiling itself it insulated, not letting the heat escape upward (it's natural path), and is trapping it all down there.  If you have windows, or a vent, or exhaust fan or something similar like that to just bring in some (theoretically cooler) outside air, that would help. 
Unfortunately, there are no screened cellar windows available so I can introduce cooler air into the basement.

Goid idea, though.

This HAS been the worst combination of heat and humidity for any summer that I can remember. Maybe that has something to do with things. 

Unfortunately, there are no screened cellar windows available so I can introduce cooler air into the basement. 

This HAS been the worst combination of heat and humidity for any summer that I can remember. Maybe that has something to do with things. 
It looks like you have small slider windows down there.  You can get or even build screens for those - as well as fans that are built that size.  If you get fans, get two - one for each end of the cellar - one "pulling air" in, the other "pushing air" out.  Given the high ambient outside temperature, and all the radiant heat produced by the boiler/furnace, and older (non energy efficient) dryer, all that heat simply has no where to go.  It just builds up and sits there.  Introducing outside air would help the temperature, but could also increase humidity down there.

I haven't read the thread but it's a week old and assuming people have thrown out ideas and no one has solved it yet my two are

1) There is an opening to hell in your basement. I saw a movie/documentary like this once and I think it's technically possible. Please watch for demons.

b) Check for raging fires
If it is an opening to hell there's a pretty good chance a hot scantily clad female will show up to close it.

Goid idea, though.

as a point of comparison, we have a below ground basement, no insulation in the ceiling. it has been brutally hot & humid here for long stretches (middle 90s, dew points in the middle 70s). my basement is always noticeably cooler than the rest of the house.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/r/basement-insulation-tips/

Basements are notorious for being cold, dank areas that homeowners avoid as much as they possibly can. The heat from your home can quickly escape through the basement and its immediate connection to the ground. This connection leads not only to the cold air associated with the basement but a higher moisture content that makes the basement unpleasant to be in. The basement also conducts heat from the main floor of your home, leaving that floor colder and raising energy costs. Basement insulation is often the answer many homeowners come to, but too many homeowners take short cuts causing them to re-install different insulation after no more than a year or two.

...I have insulation in my basement ceiling too.  We had them put in a double layer between the basement ceiling/ground floor joists.  I had it done more for SOUND insulation as I have a home theater down there than for temperature.  As previously noted - dehumidifier running a lot...lots of electronics...furnace down there too...not hot.

I do think what matttyl said is the reason though - it's the combination of the boiler/furnace thing and the insulation.  In my case, I don't have enough of a heat source as I don't have a boiler, and my furnace doesn't run in the summer.  I could see how if I had a heat source greater than my dehumidifier, It could build up.  

Users who are viewing this thread