What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Falcons Should trade Tony Gonzalez to the CHIEFS (1 Viewer)

uconnalum

Footballguy
Let Tony finish his career with a contender and the team he started his NFL Career with. I know this will never happen but it would something I would like to see. It would give the Chiefs offense another dimension to go along with there Defense.

Would never happen but Gonzalez in that offense would be perfect. He is a chain mover which is exactly what the Chiefs need. Someone to give Charles some room to work.

It would be smart for the Falcons to try and move him since their season is done. They could save some cash and get a pick for someone retiring next year anyways.

It would be smart for the Falcons to try and move him since their season is done. They could save some cash and get a pick for someone retiring next year anyways.
This is why I could see it as being feasible. Still doubtful though.

Send him to a team that really has a chance at winning it. Chiefs? Not with a game manager at QB. Send him to Denver, New Orleans, or the Pats. He would be a #2 TE for those teams though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send him to a team that really has a chance at winning it. Chiefs? Not with a game manager at QB. Send him to Denver, New Orleans, or the Pats. He would be a #2 TE for those teams though.
Only one of those that makes sense is Seattle. Why would Denver, New Orleans, or New England need Gonzalez?

They dont need him ? Heck Good players that Ball like Tony are always welcome in any franchise (At the right price) Book end tight ends in New Orleans like the Pats did with their two TE's last year. It would never happen though. The Falcons own him this year.

They dont need him ? Heck Good players that Ball like Tony are always welcome in any franchise (At the right price) Book end tight ends in New Orleans like the Pats did with their two TE's last year. It would never happen though. The Falcons own him this year.
Coming from a greedy Jimmy Graham owner, I definitely don't want Gonzalez to go there.

Gonzalez to the Packers would be nice. A TE who can actually catch and make a play after the catch.

Coming from a greedy Jimmy Graham owner, I definitely don't want Gonzalez to go there.

Gonzalez to the Packers would be nice. A TE who can actually catch and make a play after the catch.
Not Thompson's style...but Id offer them Finley for him now. Atl gets a young TE that they can try and resign and mold. Packers get a true TE who can catch without the attitude.

Its a total pipe dream as a fan though.

Great thought by the OP.

Send him to New England. I bet Brady would find some use for him there.

Interesting enough, the Packers had a deal in principle with the Chiefs for Gonzalez 5 years ago...just like the Falcons did. Gonzo choose the Falcons because he felt they had a better chance to win it all. Oops.

I would love to see Gonzalez traded to a contender.

Kansas City would be all the better, but having Tony and Steven Jackson both go to ATL only to have the wheels fall off is a shame.

MattFancy said:
Breesisdaman said:
Only one of those that makes sense is Seattle. Why would Denver, New Orleans, or New England need Gonzalez?
Seriously? Have you not watched or read anything about the Pats so far this year?

Breesisdaman said:
I think Alex Smith would target Gonzo as much as he can and often.

Breesisdaman said:
Ravens didn't win the SB with Dilfer or anything....

Everyone talking about Gonzo but what about SJAX? I thought reason he came to Atlanta was a shot at winning and he's not got a history with the team like Gonzalez. Seems like it would be doing everyone a favor to move him to a contender in need.

Good thought but:

FOX's Jay Glazer reports Tony Gonzalez "absolutely does not" want to be traded, and wants to finish his career in Atlanta.

Asked about the possibility of acquiring Tony Gonzalez in a Tuesday radio interview, Chiefs GM John Dorsey said "I'm very frugal with those draft picks.

Gonzalez speculation is going to run rampant in the coming weeks, but it's not surprising he remains committed to the Falcons. That being said, he has three weeks to have a change of heart if the 1-4 Falcons can't take advantage of an upcoming soft schedule after their Week 6 bye. The Jets were supposed to be a soft spot on their schedule, after all. Ultimately, we see Gonzo finishing out his final season with the Falcons. Oct 8 - 3:41 PM

Yes, PLEASE

although the Falcons probably still think they can make the playoffs .....

Breesisdaman said:
That was never my point if you read what I actually said.

Breesisdaman said:
OR Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon etc.

Breesisdaman said:
OR Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon etc.
So what you are saying is the KC defense is Ravens 2000 good. Nope, they just need to face some real competition. Manning , Brady, Brees, would shred them to pieces.

Breesisdaman said:
So what you are saying is the KC defense is Ravens 2000 good. Nope, they just need to face some real competition. Manning , Brady, Brees, would shred them to pieces.
We're going to find out. Broncos, Chargers, Broncos out of there bye in Week 11. We'll see what happens when the dust settles.

Besides, I hardly think Ravens 2012 had that great a defense. They were 17th in total yards and 12th in points.

This rookie TE in Atlanta looks pretty good, why not line up in a 2 TE set like New England has run with success and until White can get back 100% and ease the black hole at WR right now, maybe they should try that style for a while.

Breesisdaman said:
Game managers can't win championships? I can name a few who have.

Breesisdaman said:
Game managers can't win championships? I can name a few who have.
Already taken care of.

It makes sense to trade him, but I just don't see it happening. If it did I see 4 or 5 teams that would benefit nicely from it.

Patriots - They love to run the 2 tight ends and right now they don't even have 1, if Gronk is healthy and good to go this would be a match up nightmare in the red zone.

Lions - This would give Calvin and Bush some freedom, not only can Gonzalez block well in the run game but safeties would have to play the middle of the field.

Seahawks - Perfect for the run first team and a great red zone threat to keep the defenses honest for Lynch.

Chiefs - They need weapons on offense to keep up with the Broncos, this has to be the favorite if he does get moved. He would probably love to finish his career with the team that drafted him.

Colts - They wanted to run a 2 tight end scheme and then Allen went down, they want a power running game too. Gonzalez would instantly be the best red zone target, a good blocker in the run game, and a great mentor for Fleener.

Breesisdaman said:
That was never my point if you read what I actually said.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Holy jeebus, I can see why they limit you to only one beer.

There's only two problems with this:

1) Atlanta won't give up on the season. In fact, the injuries to their WR group is exactly why the need to keep Gonzo - who the hell else is going to catch passes? This is the NFL, not FF. Atlanta will try to stay in the wild card hunt as long as they can.

2) Tony G. has already stated that he wants to finish his career as a Falcon. While it sounds all nice and good for the fans, the fact is he has played with this team for four years. These are his teammates and friends. Sure, it's a business - but he's still a human being.

Is it possible that either of the two could change? I guess, but I don't think either is a real good possibility - and for a trade to happen, I really think you need both to.

Not Thompson's style...but Id offer them Finley for him now. Atl gets a young TE that they can try and resign and mold. Packers get a true TE who can catch without the attitude.

Yeah, but he plans on retiring at the end of the season. Who would we replace him with? I don't like that trade at all.

Yeah, but he plans on retiring at the end of the season. Who would we replace him with? I don't like that trade at all.
Who are we replacing Finley with...he is on the last year of the contract.

As I said..a pipe dream. But give me the remaining games of Gonzo over the remainder of the year with Finley.

Barring him holding on to everything the rest of the year...and even then I doubt he is coming back. If he has a good enough year to warrant them extending him, he will ask for more than they will want or need to pay him.

Users who are viewing this thread