What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Experts Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Looks like FBG and Pro Football Focus are crushing it. Conversely, I don't think I'm gonna be spending much time at Fantasy Sharks this pre-season...

I am very curious to see how All Purpose Roto's draft plays out. I understand waiting on RBs, and if the talent isn't there when you pick, you move on from there, but when you have no RBs, selecting a guy like Jimmy Graham as a top 6 TE is not a luxury you have in that position.

I would venture to guess that 3 of their next 4 picks are RBs, and I am curious as to who they can walk away with. My guess it will include the rookie in Miami (name escaping me), someone from the NE backfield, someone from the AZ backfield or Helu/Torian. There are still guys like Bush(es) and Pierre Thomas, but at best, it is a guessing game and at worst, the rest of the league decides to start sniping 3rd and 4th RBs and renders this team useless.

I fear this mock (the OPs link) is even less valuable than typical expert mocks with several drafters admitting that they didn't know the rules / lineup requirements of only 2xWR...

Feel free to sweat this with me. Unfortunately this is only a mock and will not be played out.

Thanks for the kind words. Was very happy to get the start I achieved and landed Top 5 players at all "1" spots (RB1/WR1/QB1/TE1).

But yes, the 2WRs did throw a few people.

Nice start for FBG but I like Go Ahead Score's team the best. Two stud WRs with 3 RBs that could be high RB2. Big Ben was pretty solid after the suspension

'Sweet Love said:
I am very curious to see how All Purpose Roto's draft plays out. I understand waiting on RBs, and if the talent isn't there when you pick, you move on from there, but when you have no RBs, selecting a guy like Jimmy Graham as a top 6 TE is not a luxury you have in that position.

I would venture to guess that 3 of their next 4 picks are RBs, and I am curious as to who they can walk away with. My guess it will include the rookie in Miami (name escaping me), someone from the NE backfield, someone from the AZ backfield or Helu/Torian. There are still guys like Bush(es) and Pierre Thomas, but at best, it is a guessing game and at worst, the rest of the league decides to start sniping 3rd and 4th RBs and renders this team useless.
Is that the same team that took Josh Freeman in the 5th round? :shock:

Feel free to sweat this with me. Unfortunately this is only a mock and will not be played out.Thanks for the kind words. Was very happy to get the start I achieved and landed Top 5 players at all "1" spots (RB1/WR1/QB1/TE1).But yes, the 2WRs did throw a few people.
Great start. All solid BPA/value picks with elite to very high upside.

Nice start for FBG but I like Go Ahead Score's team the best. Two stud WRs with 3 RBs that could be high RB2. Big Ben was pretty solid after the suspension
If this isn't all all play format, I'd be worried about the RBs but the three WRs are :moneybag: and Big Ben will be very good. Mr. Jim Day is doing pretty well though.

If this isn't all all play format, I'd be worried about the RBs but the three WRs are :moneybag: and Big Ben will be very good. Mr. Jim Day is doing pretty well though.
To clarify the rules:PPRStart 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex(R/W/T) and 1K and 1D.Mock draft is for a typical redraft league - no all play or best ball.Only 16 rounds.

To clarify the rules:PPRStart 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex(R/W/T) and 1K and 1D.Mock draft is for a typical redraft league - no all play or best ball.Only 16 rounds.
I don't know I LOVE Bradshaw as a #1 but he should be solid enough and Stewart/Best have a lot of upside.Plus you have to figure he goes 3 WRs (2 start, 1 flex) all year long.

Why would any league only require to start 2 WR with only 1 flex spot ? That is weak! Every league I have ever played in started 3 WR's (except FFPC which starts only 2 but does have 2 flex spots.)

To clarify the rules:PPR

Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex(R/W/T) and 1K and 1D.

Mock draft is for a typical redraft league - no all play or best ball.

Only 16 rounds.
Why would any league only require to start 2 WR with only 1 flex spot ? That is weak! Every league I have ever played in started 3 WR's (except FFPC which starts only 2 but does have 2 flex spots.)
In that case, this mock is a total waste of time. :loco:

because variety is the spice of life? I only add a league if it is very different than what I am in. Playing in multple leagues of all the same format? boring.

Here ya go Stubby:

1.01 1. Pro Football Focus Foster, Arian HOU RB Fri May 20 9:00:04 a.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

1.02 2. Lester's Legends Peterson, Adrian MIN RB Fri May 20 9:00:04 a.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

1.03 3. Fanatic Fantasy Football Johnson, Chris TEN RB Fri May 20 9:06:51 a.m. MT 2011 I always grab a running back when I draft in one of the first six positions. CJ will be among the top 5 running backs in the league when the 2011 season is history.

1.04 4. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Charles, Jamaal KCC RB Fri May 20 9:06:52 a.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

1.05 5. FootballGuys Rice, Ray BAL RB Fri May 20 10:09:50 a.m. MT 2011 Good to see discussions as we go along here. Very happy with the 5-hole as I'm getting a RB here that I perceive as towards the end of Tier 1 in Ray Rice. Pretty true to form so far with the first 5 picks.

1.06 6. Fantasy Shrink McCoy, LeSean PHI RB Fri May 20 10:15:49 a.m. MT 2011 Ecstatic to get McCoy here as I see a fairly significant dropoff to Rice/MJD. I would consider McCoy anywhere in the top 5. PPR beast.

1.07 7. All Purpose Roto Johnson, Andre HOU WR Fri May 20 10:56:38 a.m. MT 2011 After debate and Jim Day prodding we take the best wr in the league Love the Texan passing game this year

1.08 8. Fantasy Football Starters Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB Fri May 20 10:56:39 a.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

1.09 9. DraftSharks.com Johnson, Calvin DET WR Fri May 20 12:01:05 p.m. MT 2011 Anyone can see the almost unlimited upside. Plus, I had yet to go WR in Round 1 previously and am interested to see how I like my team afterward.

1.10 10. Fantasy Football Trader Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB Fri May 20 3:27:43 p.m. MT 2011 For the first time in his career, Jones-Drew has some question marks. I'm less buying into MJD than I am the Jags running game.

1.11 11. GO Ahead Score White, Roddy ATL WR Fri May 20 3:29:20 p.m. MT 2011 Some are shying away from Roddy because of the addition of Julius Jones. I just dont see it that way. I think the addition of another good receiver will allow Roddy to even more with a few less touches.

1.12 12. Junkyard Jake Gore, Frank SFO RB Fri May 20 5:24:40 p.m. MT 2011 Despite the presence of Anthony Dixon and the drafting of Kendall Hunter, the 49ers have stated that they plan to feature Frank Gore in Jim Harbaugh's run-oriented offense. He appears to be fully recovered from the hip fracture that cost him 5 games last year, and at 28, entering a contract year, should be a safe pick.

2.01 13. Junkyard Jake Jackson, Steven STL RB Fri May 20 5:33:36 p.m. MT 2011 Tough choice between Hakeem Nicks, Aaron Rodgers and Steven Jackson. Jackson seems like a good pick here since he should remain one of the few 3-down backs in the league. Moreover, the Rams offense should be more unpredictable and wide-open under Josh McDaniels, maybe allowing Jackson some additional running room this year.

2.02 14. GO Ahead Score Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR Fri May 20 5:39:26 p.m. MT 2011 I love getting back to back stud WRs when I have a very late 1st round draft, especially when we are using PPR scoring. Nicks will continue to get better and we all saw what a red zone threat he is. Now we just need to stay on the field.

2.03 15. Fantasy Football Trader McFadden, Darren OAK RB Fri May 20 5:58:04 p.m. MT 2011 Was genuinely debating between Roddy/MJD/McFadden at 1.10 so I can't scoop up DMac fast enough. We're in the midst of the "golden age" for WR's, so I'm happy roster a bona fide RB1 here.

2.04 16. DraftSharks.com Forte, Matt CHI RB Fri May 20 6:24:17 p.m. MT 2011 He was good last year ... certainly good enough to take some of the 112 carries Chester Taylor was handed for no apparent reason.

2.05 17. Fantasy Football Starters Wayne, Reggie IND WR Fri May 20 6:24:18 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

2.06 18. All Purpose Roto Jackson, Vincent SDC WR Fri May 20 7:39:39 p.m. MT 2011 Vastly prefer a top.wr over this group of rbs

2.07 19. Fantasy Shrink Wallace, Mike PIT WR Fri May 20 8:02:28 p.m. MT 2011

2.08 20. FootballGuys Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR Fri May 20 8:14:46 p.m. MT 2011 Thank you all for letting Fitzgerald fall to me. Even with QBs beyond terrible last year he finished as #4 in catches and #8 in yardage. The TDs will come with a better QB. Great WR1 here.

2.09 21. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB Fri May 20 8:14:47 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

2.10 22. Fanatic Fantasy Football Jackson, DeSean PHI WR Sat May 21 5:29:58 a.m. MT 2011

2.11 23. Lester's Legends Turner, Michael ATL RB Sat May 21 5:46:58 a.m. MT 2011 Michael Turner has three straight double digit touchdown seasons. He's 29, but had limited carries to start his career. Definitely a good value with the 23rd pick.

2.12 24. Pro Football Focus Jennings, Greg GBP WR Sat May 21 7:53:27 a.m. MT 2011 Not much to love at RB right here, so I'll pounce on my first Wide Receiver. Jennings will lose TDs whether you like it or not, but he's still a borderline WR1 thanks mostly to this high-powered offense.

3.01 25. Pro Football Focus Vick, Michael PHI QB Sat May 21 7:53:54 a.m. MT 2011 A steal at 3.1, I simply cannot pass up fantasy's top QB.

3.02 26. Lester's Legends Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR Sat May 21 8:20:28 a.m. MT 2011 Continuing my trend of double-digit touchdown fantasy players for squad I am looking somewhere over Dwayne Bowe. Jonathan Baldwin should help draw some attention away from the beastly Bowe. Conditioning could be a issue with Bowe as the lockout drags on, but he's in a contract year so he has millions of dollars on the line to stay in good shape. Replacement pick made by Commissioner

3.03 27. Fanatic Fantasy Football Mathews, Ryan SDC RB Sat May 21 9:31:49 a.m. MT 2011 I planned to snatch up Dwayne Bowe here but that didn't happen. Therefore I opted to draft my 2nd RB. I expect CJ to be a top 5 RB and I think Matthews will finish in the top 15, maybe even the top 10 this year.

3.04 28. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Austin, Miles DAL WR Sat May 21 9:31:50 a.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

3.05 29. FootballGuys Brees, Drew NOS QB Sat May 21 11:58:34 a.m. MT 2011 Much like the NFL, fantasy teams truly need a stud QB. Brees certainly qualifies. I have him as a Round 2 value (Top 24), so this is nice spot for him.

3.06 30. Fantasy Shrink Hillis, Peyton CLE RB Sat May 21 12:15:28 p.m. MT 2011 First, some commentary about my Mike Wallace pick as I was in line to ride a roller coaster and couldn't really comment. Mid-2nd may seem early for Wallace, but he scored the most FP/target last season and I think PIT will look for him more in 2011. (His targets increased over the final 6 games.) For 3.06, I am happy to take Hillis, who will lose some touches to Hardesty, but I don't see last year's RB2 finishing lower than RB15, which is where I'm taking him.

3.07 31. All Purpose Roto Williams, Mike TBB WR Sat May 21 12:31:37 p.m. MT 2011

3.08 32. Fantasy Football Starters Manning, Peyton IND QB Sat May 21 12:31:38 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

3.09 33. DraftSharks.com Welker, Wes NEP WR Sat May 21 12:40:30 p.m. MT 2011 A top 20 PPR receiver less than a year removed from tearing up his knee. The season before that, he was best at the position in fantasy points per game. I'll took him over a pool of similar RBs and young roller-coaster wideouts.

3.10 34. Fantasy Football Trader Rivers, Philip SDC QB Sat May 21 7:34:06 p.m. MT 2011 Tier 1 QB's run deep and in my eyes Rivers represents the last of sure fire locks at the position.

3.11 35. GO Ahead Score Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB Sat May 21 7:41:09 p.m. MT 2011

3.12 36. Junkyard Jake Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR Sat May 21 8:12:07 p.m. MT 2011 Maclin might be as valuable as DeSean Jackson in a PPR league, since he is more like to get tackled and then catching a few more passes instead of abruptly ending a drive by zipping away for an 85 yard TD like his teammate Jackson typically does. But seriously, Maclin is a solid pick in the early 4th round area. He exhibited nice improvement over his 55 catch, 4 TD rookie year by snagging 70 passes and 10 TDs in 2010. He should be ready to break the 1,000 yard barrier this year and makes a border-line #1 fantasy receiver.

4.01 37. Junkyard Jake Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB Sat May 21 8:19:58 p.m. MT 2011 Really want to take Dez Bryant here, but between his recovery from injury, shopping sprees and crazy spells, I'm a little bit scared off. Moreno is a solid #2 back with potential for a big season in John Fox's conventional and balanced offense.

4.02 38. GO Ahead Score Best, Jahvid DET RB Sat May 21 8:44:31 p.m. MT 2011

4.03 39. Fantasy Football Trader Colston, Marques NOS WR Sat May 21 9:07:18 p.m. MT 2011 Colston maintained a rock solid 64% reception rate on 131 targets. I believe there's room for more.

4.04 40. DraftSharks.com Collie, Austin IND WR Sat May 21 9:21:19 p.m. MT 2011 Collie's totals in 9 games last year project to 103 catches, 1153 yards and 14 TDs for a full season. His rates over the first six games -- with the full complement of Colts options healthy -- come out to 117 catches, 1341 yards and 16 TDs. He doesn't have to repeat either rate to be a terrific PPR option. With two studs ahead of him, I can take a chance that he does.

4.05 41. Fantasy Football Starters Blount, LeGarrette TBB RB Sat May 21 9:21:20 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

4.06 42. All Purpose Roto Bryant, Dez DAL WR Sat May 21 9:31:21 p.m. MT 2011

4.07 43. Fantasy Shrink Gates, Antonio SDC TE Sat May 21 9:47:44 p.m. MT 2011 If his foot is good to go, he's in a class by himself at TE. I typically take him in the late 3rd in PPR leagues, so I'm pleased to get him in the middle of the 4th.

4.08 44. FootballGuys Finley, Jermichael GBP TE Sat May 21 9:54:58 p.m. MT 2011 Way too hard to pass up on Finley here, so I won't.

4.09 45. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Lloyd, Brandon DEN WR Sat May 21 10:49:30 p.m. MT 2011 You either doubt him or love him entering 2011. As my WR2, I see very little risk and a whole lot of upside.

4.10 46. Fanatic Fantasy Football Greene, Shonn NYJ RB Sat May 21 11:04:01 p.m. MT 2011 Shonn Greene will be the guy for the Jets this year.

4.11 47. Lester's Legends Marshall, Brandon MIA WR Sat May 21 11:09:26 p.m. MT 2011 Brandon Marshall had a strong finish to a would be forgettable 2010 season. He regressed in Miami, but still finished with 86 catches for 1014 yards. The Dolphins will look to upgrade at quarterback when the lockout is lifted. Either way he makes for a solid WR2 in PPR leagues.

4.12 48. Pro Football Focus Clark, Dallas IND TE Sun May 22 1:38:24 p.m. MT 2011 There's a bid dropoff after the big 4 tight ends, so I won't be passing on Clark here...

5.01 49. Pro Football Focus Jones, Felix DAL RB Sun May 22 1:41:09 p.m. MT 2011 Plenty of good WRs left and we only start 2, so I'll go ahead and grab my 2nd RB. I expect some serious TD regression from Jones and he'll see a similar # of touches, if not more.

5.02 50. Lester's Legends Brady, Tom NEP QB Sun May 22 1:41:10 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

5.03 51. Fanatic Fantasy Football Romo, Tony DAL QB Sun May 22 2:44:57 p.m. MT 2011 I think a QB run is about to happen so I'm taking Romo here hoping he will play the whole year. Jerry Jones drafted some big offensive line help to keep Tony on his feet. He has a lot of weapons at wide receiver and tight end to throw to. Just stay healthy Tony!

5.04 52. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Ingram, Mark NOS RB ® Sun May 22 3:05:37 p.m. MT 2011 Despite the threat of a RBBC in New Orleans in 2011, the upside is huge and the risk is minimal at this point (the 21st drafted runner of this draft). To earn his value at this draft slot, Ingram merely has to total 1,000 ru/rec yards and punch in 6-7 total touchdowns. I think he is capable of much more than that, so honestly, I feel Ingram could prove to be one of the bigger steals of this mock draft.

5.05 53. FootballGuys Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB Sun May 22 7:22:47 p.m. MT 2011 I nearly took DeAngelo last round, but glad he came back around. Either in Carolina (likely) or elsewhere, a solid RB2 in PPR when he's at full strength.

5.06 54. Fantasy Shrink Johnson, Steve BUF WR Sun May 22 9:00:13 p.m. MT 2011 IMO, big dropoff coming up at WR so grabbing a talented #1 guy for a team that's always trailing is a no brainer for me here.

5.07 55. All Purpose Roto Freeman, Josh TBB QB Sun May 22 9:44:42 p.m. MT 2011

5.08 56. Fantasy Football Starters Witten, Jason DAL TE Sun May 22 9:44:43 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

5.09 57. DraftSharks.com Addai, Joseph IND RB Mon May 23 5:20:22 a.m. MT 2011 Had I not been a jackass and realized there are just 2 WR slots, I wouldn't have gone for wideout No. 3 last time. Still, I think Addai is underrated. He not only catches passes but was also a productive red-zone back when last healthy in 2009. Neither Delone Carter nor Donald Brown quashes his value if he's back in Indy.

5.10 58. Fantasy Football Trader Davis, Vernon SFO TE Mon May 23 6:43:33 a.m. MT 2011 Landing the last available of the tier here. I agree with the ADP data ( http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php?year=2011&teams=12&pos=te ) which features the top 5 TE's all within 16 picks of each other and a full round gap between #5 and #6. Value.

5.11 59. GO Ahead Score Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB Mon May 23 8:18:51 a.m. MT 2011 Not a huge Stewart fan in ppr leagues, but for my RB3 this late, I will def take a chance on him.

5.12 60. Junkyard Jake Ryan, Matt ATL QB Mon May 23 11:20:44 a.m. MT 2011 Wanted to get Vernon Davis or Jason Witten here, but I guess that was unrealistic. Like FFTrader stated, there seems to be a real dropoff at the TE position after Davis. I think Matt Ryan is a solid pick here, he finally broke out last year with 28 TDs and the addition of Julio Jones should really boost the Falcons offense.

6.01 61. Junkyard Jake Crabtree, Michael SFO WR Mon May 23 11:30:50 a.m. MT 2011 There's a certain receiver, whose name rhymes with Benny Goofbiscuit that I really want to select, but I can't do it because I'm not sure when he is planning to partake in his next high speed police chase. Crabtree has been disappointing, and has some character issues of his own, but hoping with the transition to Jim Harbaugh's new offense he can finally realize his potential.

6.02 62. GO Ahead Score Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB Mon May 23 12:34:17 p.m. MT 2011 Long time before I pick again, so I need to get a QB here and like the new pass happy Pitt offense, so Big Ben here you come...

6.03 63. Fantasy Football Trader Britt, Kenny TEN WR Mon May 23 1:04:05 p.m. MT 2011 When you go RB/RB/QB you need to swing for the fences at WR and Britt's risk/reward is as extreme as it gets. The list of reasons why he won't is as long as why he will, but there's not many wideouts talented enough to score 9 times and leave owners muttering under their breath. In a start 2WR format, I'm more concerned with how he projects pts/game played rather than a full season.

6.04 64. DraftSharks.com Schaub, Matt HOU QB Mon May 23 1:15:37 p.m. MT 2011 Well, I was gonna go with Benny Agbayani here, but I think Jake took him last time. Schaub, however, seems to cause drastic mood swings from overvalue to undervalue. After ranking third in 2009, he was lackluster by comparison last year ... and he finished seventh. I'll take him as the 11th QB off the board.

6.05 65. Fantasy Football Starters Thomas, Daniel MIA RB ® Mon May 23 1:27:05 p.m. MT 2011 The Dolphins may bring in another RB or re-sign Ronnie Brown, but Thomas takes over as the primary and catches the ball pretty well for a big RB. Good for a RB3.

6.06 66. All Purpose Roto Graham, Jimmy NOS TE Mon May 23 10:18:05 p.m. MT 2011 With Colston coming off microfracture #2 and Meachem's ankle, we really like an increased role for Jimmy, particularly in the red zone. Brees really seemed to key in on him toward the end of the year.

6.07 67. Fantasy Shrink Benson, Cedric CIN RB Mon May 23 10:18:06 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

6.08 68. FootballGuys Rice, Sidney MIN WR Mon May 23 11:03:59 p.m. MT 2011 Very glad to see one of my Top 20 WRs still available here for my WR2. Some will be wary of the QB situation, but Rice will get his fair share here. (I don't believe he'll be anywhere else).

6.09 69. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Spiller, C.J. BUF RB Mon May 23 11:04:00 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

6.10 70. Fanatic Fantasy Football Cutler, Jay CHI QB Mon May 23 11:04:00 p.m. MT 2011 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

6.11 71. Lester's Legends Harvin, Percy MIN WR Mon May 23 11:21:08 p.m. MT 2011 The Vikings have already said they want to get Percy more involved in the offense next year. As long as he can overcome injuries and migraines, he should be a solid WR3.

6.12 72. Pro Football Focus Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR Tue May 24 6:21:52 a.m. MT 2011 I'm very pleased to get Santonio Holmes as my #2 WR at the very end of Round 6. Getting him here warrants my selections of a QB and TE earlier.

7.01 73. Pro Football Focus Grant, Ryan GBP RB Tue May 24 6:23:09 a.m. MT 2011 Grant is the best remaining RB on my board. I've seen nothing to indicate that he is no longer the top back in Green Bay and I expect him to keep that role in 2011 - even if he sees a drop in the % of carries he's used to.

7.02 74. Lester's Legends Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB Tue May 24 6:58:22 a.m. MT 2011 Marshawn Lynch had some moments last year, and his playoff run against the Saints was epic. He's the starter and should get the carries at the stripe. He'll make an adequate RB3 in the seventh round.

7.03 75. Fanatic Fantasy Football Boldin, Anquan BAL WR Tue May 24 7:31:12 a.m. MT 2011 Don't under estimate Boldin in 2011. I'm picking Anquan Boldin here fully expecting him to improve on his 2010 #22 rank among WRs. At only 30 years old he still has the ability to be a WR1. Derrick Mason is 37 years old and I expect Boldin to take a lot of targets from Mason this year. Targets were evenly split last year, 64 Boldin 61 Mason. Anquan snatches 80+ receptions, goes over 1000 yards, and scores 7-10 TDs in 2011.

7.04 76. Fantasy Footall Xtreme Garcon, Pierre IND WR Tue May 24 9:15:18 a.m. MT 2011

7.05 77. FootballGuys Jackson, Fred BUF RB Tue May 24 11:33:48 a.m. MT 2011 I feel RBs are about to run away here. My list was torn up between turns but glad to get one of the last guys I think will get 200 touches this year.

7.06 78. Fantasy Shrink Green, A.J. CIN WR ® Tue May 24 12:35:22 p.m. MT 2011 Pre-drafted last round, so some quick commentary on both picks. Benson is a tough call right now due to his potential contract demands. Best case workload-wise, he returns to Cincy. We'll see. At 7.06, going to roll the dice with A.J. Green as my WR3. There are other options here, but they all have question marks.

7.07 79. All Purpose Roto Waiting On All Purpose Roto For The Next Pick

I am not sure how much value mock drafts have when nothing is on the line.
I counter that, if you consider yourself an expert as those in either mock do, you play like you mean it because you know people are watching and getting info.Thats just my .02 though.The FFToolbox mock gets done every month between now and the season, each league scores on an all play basis and then the total crowns a winner.But even when that hasn't been the case (and it hasn't) everyone takes it seriously.

I am not sure how much value mock drafts have when nothing is on the line.
I counter that, if you consider yourself an expert as those in either mock do, you play like you mean it because you know people are watching and getting info.Thats just my .02 though.The FFToolbox mock gets done every month between now and the season, each league scores on an all play basis and then the total crowns a winner.But even when that hasn't been the case (and it hasn't) everyone takes it seriously.
As a participant, I can say this is the case (for me at least). Not taking this any less serously than any of my money leagues.

Like most drafts i guess, there are a few good teams, a few bad ones, with the rest somewhere in the middle. I would give the edge to FF trader right now. Had he grabbed Steve Johnson instead of Colston with the 4.03, he would be even better.

I know a lot of guys devalue the QB but how do you take Fitzgerald with such a murky QB situation and pass up Rodgers? Especially in a 12 teamer.

I take it back, ya got Brees in round three! Jeez...Wish my league drafted like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think Jeff has done a nice job but I always think its funny when I see a FBG mock or real draft with a QB before round 7 since The perfect draft articles always seem to advocate waiting til later to grab a QB

I do think Jeff has done a nice job but I always think its funny when I see a FBG mock or real draft with a QB before round 7 since The perfect draft articles always seem to advocate waiting til later to grab a QB
I laugh at that too. The truth is if you can get the highest scoring player in the league, which is usually a QB, how in hte world can you pass that up in the second round. The kicker is identifying that QB but my experience is it is usually the easiest spot to judge. And it is easier to get talent during the season at WR and RB via trade and pickups than it is to get top QB talent. The Kurt Warner Story doesn't happen very often.

'Go deep said:
Like most drafts i guess, there are a few good teams, a few bad ones, with the rest somewhere in the middle. I would give the edge to FF trader right now. Had he grabbed Steve Johnson instead of Colston with the 4.03, he would be even better.
Funny you say that because Colston is my biggest regret so far, especially paired with Britt. With Rivers/MJD/McFadden already on board, I'd play it safer at WR with a do over: (i.e. Marshall/S. Johnson). Good call.

'Runningman said:
'AcerFC said:
I laugh at that too. The truth is if you can get the highest scoring player in the league, which is usually a QB, how in hte world can you pass that up in the second round. The kicker is identifying that QB but my experience is it is usually the easiest spot to judge. And it is easier to get talent during the season at WR and RB via trade and pickups than it is to get top QB talent. The Kurt Warner Story doesn't happen very often.
The reason I usually don't do it is because the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th highest scoring players in the league are commonly QB's as well.

'Runningman said:
'AcerFC said:
Totally disagree. I was looking at last year's stats, and outside of Vick(crazy rushing numbers), the 2nd through 13th QBs were all clustered between 20 and 23 ppg. Rodgers at 23. Brees, Brady, P. Manning, Roth, Rivers 22ish. E. Manning, Schaub, etc. 21ish...Thus there was very, very little advantage to having Brees compared to even the 12th best QB. So even if you get one of the top guys like Brees or Rodgers, it only gives you a 2 or 3 ppg advantage over the guy who waited until late to take a QB. Meanwhile, the top WRs in PPR put up 17-20 ppg, while the 3rd WRs put upu 11 or 12 ppg.Or to put it in numbers, you draft Brees in the 2nd and Welker in the 7th and get 22 ppg from Brees and 13 ppg from Welker (35 ppg combined).I draft Greg Jennings in the 2nd and Eli Manning in the 7th and get 18 ppg from Jennings and 20 ppg from Eli (38 ppg combined).

I just double checked to verify my numbers and they were a little off. In my league, Vick was off the charts at close to 29 ppg. Rodgers was 2nd at 22.9.

Peyton was 3rd at 21.4.

Then 4 thru 7 were all in the 20s (Brady, Rivers, Brees, Roth).

8 thru 10 were all in the 19s (Romo, Orton, Stafford)

Then 4 guys in the 18s (Schaub, Eli, Fitzpatrick, Garrard).

The point still stands. If you took Brady or Brees in the 2nd round last year, you got 20 ppg. If you waited, you still likely ended up with a guy who gets you 18 a game (or even got Rothlisberger, who gave you the same ppg).

'AcerFC said:
I think we're seeing a shift away from the "wait on QB" strategy as the NFL (and thus FF) is moving to a pass-happy league. I just starting looking at Quality QB starts (like I do each year). Here's last year's article:http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2010/10pasquino_quality_qb.phpAll but Romo (injury) in the Top 7 had 6+ Excellent starts and just 1-2 bad ones. Having that consistency is a great thing and the QBBC / WDIS headache is thus avoided.

Tip of the hat to Pasquino for landing Fitz at 2.08. Very solid value. If anyone is interested, several are in another one just getting underway hosted by FF Toolbox as well.http://football33.myfantasyleague.com/2011/options?L=64018&O=17
Good thing CBS is in the expert drafts. Excellent start here... :unsure: 1.10 10. CBS White, Roddy ATL WR Mon May 23 10:35:15 p.m. ET 2011 I'll keep the WR trend going. One of the RBs I would consider here will be there in Round 2. White probably will not.2.03 15. CBS Forte, Matt CHI RB Mon May 23 11:01:18 p.m. ET 2011 He's a great PPR running back, and he should continue to thrive with Mike Martz calling plays.3.10 34. CBS Blount, LeGarrette TBB RB Tue May 24 11:37:18 p.m. ET 2011 He won't catch the ball, but he should run for 1,200 yards and score double digit touchdowns.4.03 39. CBS Colston, Marques NOS WR Wed May 25 9:49:23 a.m. ET 2011 A little risky since he's coming off microfracture surgery (again), but the last time he had microfracture surgery in 2009 he played in 16 games and finished with 70 catches for 1,074 yards and nine touchdowns. I'd take that as my second WR.5.10 58. CBS Boldin, Anquan BAL WR Wed May 25 11:16:25 p.m. ET 2011 I'll take Boldin as my third WR here. He'll bounce back after an inconsistent first year with the Ravens.6.03 63. CBS Thomas, Daniel MIA RB Thu May 26 9:55:39 a.m. ET 2011 Big fan of Thomas going to the Dolphins, who also addressed O-line with Pouncey. Thomas should be the best rookie RB this year.

After a slowdown due to the holiday, this draft finally wrapped up.

Here is/was my final team:

Jeff Pasquino - Footballguys (1.05 Pick)

Brees, Drew NOS QB

Carter, Delone IND RB

Hunter, Kendall SFO RB

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Murray, DeMarco DAL RB

Rice, Ray BAL RB

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Ford, Jacoby OAK WR

Moss, Santana WAS WR

Rice, Sidney MIN WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP TE

Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE

Hartley, Garrett NOS PK

Patriots, New England NEP Def

and here are the comments I had during the draft.

Pick Ovr Franchise Selection Date/Time Comments

1.05 5. FootballGuys Rice, Ray BAL RB Fri May 20 12:09:50 p.m. ET 2011 Good to see discussions as we go along here. Very happy with the 5-hole as I'm getting a RB here that I perceive as towards the end of Tier 1 in Ray Rice. Pretty true to form so far with the first 5 picks.

2.08 20. FootballGuys Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR Fri May 20 10:14:46 p.m. ET 2011 Thank you all for letting Fitzgerald fall to me. Even with QBs beyond terrible last year he finished as #4 in catches and #8 in yardage. The TDs will come with a better QB. Great WR1 here.

3.05 29. FootballGuys Brees, Drew NOS QB Sat May 21 1:58:34 p.m. ET 2011 Much like the NFL, fantasy teams truly need a stud QB. Brees certainly qualifies. I have him as a Round 2 value (Top 24), so this is nice spot for him.

4.08 44. FootballGuys Finley, Jermichael GBP TE Sat May 21 11:54:58 p.m. ET 2011 Way too hard to pass up on Finley here, so I won't.

5.05 53. FootballGuys Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB Sun May 22 9:22:47 p.m. ET 2011 I nearly took DeAngelo last round, but glad he came back around. Either in Carolina (likely) or elsewhere, a solid RB2 in PPR when he's at full strength.

6.08 68. FootballGuys Rice, Sidney MIN WR Tue May 24 1:03:59 a.m. ET 2011 Very glad to see one of my Top 20 WRs still available here for my WR2. Some will be wary of the QB situation, but Rice will get his fair share here. (I don't believe he'll be anywhere else).

7.05 77. FootballGuys Jackson, Fred BUF RB Tue May 24 1:33:48 p.m. ET 2011 I feel RBs are about to run away here. My list was torn up between turns but glad to get one of the last guys I think will get 200 touches this year.

8.08 92. FootballGuys Moss, Santana WAS WR Wed May 25 9:19:42 a.m. ET 2011 240+ catches, over 3,000 yards and 15 TDs in the last three years and never missing a game - including 93-1115-6 last year in a mediocre WASH offense. He's consistent and he may even wind up in a better offense due to his FA status. Solid WR3.

9.05 101. FootballGuys Ford, Jacoby OAK WR Wed May 25 4:17:08 p.m. ET 2011 With the starting lineup covered, it is now time to start taking "big upside" guys. Ford had 7 TDs last year if you count his kick returns, and those do count in this league. He has been compared to Steve Smith (CAR) and his coach has said he needs more snaps, so I'm buying on the upside potential here.

10.08 116. FootballGuys Carter, Delone IND RB ® Thu May 26 7:45:46 p.m. ET 2011 What's a mock without some standout, risky picks? This league - although PPR - favors RBs with 3 able to start and just two WRs required. I think Carter can beat out Addai and dominate the inside running for the Colts, a sore spot for Indy.

11.05 125. FootballGuys Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR Fri May 27 9:41:42 a.m. ET 2011 Very surprised to see Braylon Edwards still here. I nearly took him two picks ago, so quite happy to see him left on the board.

12.08 140. FootballGuys Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE Sat May 28 6:48:19 p.m. ET 2011 So you're telling me that I can back up J. Finley with a Hall of Famer in Tony Gonzalez as the 18th TE off the board in Round 12? Sign. Me. Up.

13.05 149. FootballGuys Murray, DeMarco DAL RB ® Mon May 30 1:32:50 a.m. ET 2011 Ideally this would have been Mike Goodson, as I think he gets lots of PPR work especially if DeAngelo is elsewhere - and a great way to align my team since I would have both. Not a huge fan of Murray, but after 51 RBs have come off the board it is time to take a shot a someone who could take over some workload in Dallas. Not a big fan of Felix Jones either, so I will take the gamble here.

14.08 164. FootballGuys Hunter, Kendall SFO RB ® Tue May 31 4:01:42 p.m. ET 2011 Just one misstep by Gore away from very, very good value. In a league like this, 3 stud RBs would likely run away with the title. Drafting a lottery ticket here is worth the shot.

15.05 173. FootballGuys Patriots, New England NEP Def Wed Jun 1 10:28:34 a.m. ET 2011 Time to get the defense, and NE was #1 in this scoring format last year. Their schedule in the first 3 games is also favorable (@Mia, vs SD, @Buf), and they averaged 25pts vs. Mia, 10 against SD and 13.5 vs. Buffalo. I'll take that and then decide if I want to change defenses after those 3 contests. Changing gears - I just wanted to say why I only took 1 QB (Drew Brees) in this draft. With a late bye week (11) and a nice schedule, there is no way I will not start Brees in Weeks 1-10. That let me draft other spots and not sweat QB2, especially with several starters likely to still be on the waiver wire. I will gladly add RB/WR value in hopes of a breakout star and not worry about QB depth until Week 11.

16.08 188. FootballGuys Hartley, Garrett NOS PK Fri Jun 3 9:48:27 a.m. ET 2011 Strong offense + dome kicker + late bye = my kicker here. Added bonus by matching my PK with my QB, with the thought that if Brees struggles punching it in for six then Hartley will collect the three. Good draft all.
I hope that this is helpful to you.

Thanks for posting the draft Jeff. I love the comments especially. Would love to hear your comments on which of your picks was the best value for the position. I see Fitz as a great value even being that high as well as both S. Rice and Carter. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for posting the draft Jeff. I love the comments especially. Would love to hear your comments on which of your picks was the best value for the position. I see Fitz as a great value even being that high as well as both S. Rice and Carter. What are your thoughts?
Fitz was a great value at that point. I think Sid Rice, DeAngelo and Edwards as my best values. DeAngelo in the 5th for my RB2 starter is quite a steal, as is Edwards. I think the NFL uncertainty about FAs is allowing these guys to slip in drafts at this point. DeAngelo in DEN, CAR or anywhere else is great value as he will be a Top 24 RB on any NFL team.

I think we're seeing a shift away from the "wait on QB" strategy as the NFL (and thus FF) is moving to a pass-happy league. I just starting looking at Quality QB starts (like I do each year). Here's last year's article:http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2010/10pasquino_quality_qb.phpAll but Romo (injury) in the Top 7 had 6+ Excellent starts and just 1-2 bad ones. Having that consistency is a great thing and the QBBC / WDIS headache is thus avoided.
Well, I used to be a wait on the QB until last year. Took Brady in RD 3. He was solid for me, but I would have been better off waiting on guys like Eli and Ben and grabbing another WR option to go with Roddy and Nicks.

Well, I used to be a wait on the QB until last year. Took Brady in RD 3. He was solid for me, but I would have been better off waiting on guys like Eli and Ben and grabbing another WR option to go with Roddy and Nicks.
Assuming you grabbed Eli or Ben instead of Favre/Palmer/McNabb/Stafford (all drafted within the vicinity of Eli and Ben). It's easy to look back in hindsight and say - wish I had waited and taken this guy here or that guy there. The reason you take Brady in the third is you're playing a higher % chance at a top 5 guy by season's end.

Assuming you grabbed Eli or Ben instead of Favre/Palmer/McNabb/Stafford (all drafted within the vicinity of Eli and Ben). It's easy to look back in hindsight and say - wish I had waited and taken this guy here or that guy there. The reason you take Brady in the third is you're playing a higher % chance at a top 5 guy by season's end.
True but the point differential between Brady (who finished # 5 in my league)and Eli (finished # 12) was like 2.5 points per game. I took Brady in RD 3, Manning went in RD 11 and by not waiting on a QB, I passed up guys like Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster, and Dwayne Bowe, who would have made my team much stronger. I went against my normal instincts to wait on a QB like I have always done but the point differential between those top 5 guys is not big enough to warrant that high of a pick, IMO.

True but the point differential between Brady (who finished # 5 in my league)and Eli (finished # 12) was like 2.5 points per game. I took Brady in RD 3, Manning went in RD 11 and by not waiting on a QB, I passed up guys like Lesean McCoy, Arian Foster, and Dwayne Bowe, who would have made my team much stronger. I went against my normal instincts to wait on a QB like I have always done but the point differential between those top 5 guys is not big enough to warrant that high of a pick, IMO.
There are some benefits to taking Brees or Peyton Manning early, however. By not having to sweat a committee approach for one, you can draft a QB early and grab the RB/WR/TE values that will prevail for Rounds 4-14 or even longer. Factoring in their late byes (assuming that we will even have byes) and there's really no reason to even think about a QB2 in short bench leagues. Those two factors really allowed me to take the easy decision to draft Brees where I did in this league (and Peyton Manning in the staff mock draft).

thought you crushed this draft through the first 9 rounds....lots of rookie RB's after that which is a gamble but might pay off.....might have liked Michael Bush at 10.08 instead of Carter, but that's IMO...liked the Hunter pick even better than the Carter and Murray picks.....

your 11-12 picks were steals with Braylon Edwards and Tony G.....Gonzo as a back up that late to Finley is criminal....

'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Mr. Bojangles said:
There are some benefits to taking Brees or Peyton Manning early, however. By not having to sweat a committee approach for one, you can draft a QB early and grab the RB/WR/TE values that will prevail for Rounds 4-14 or even longer. Factoring in their late byes (assuming that we will even have byes) and there's really no reason to even think about a QB2 in short bench leagues. Those two factors really allowed me to take the easy decision to draft Brees where I did in this league (and Peyton Manning in the staff mock draft).
Your strategy makes perfect sense. That was my approach last year and I had a good season (just played in an ultra comeptitive high stakes league) and missed the playoffs on a tie breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread