What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Phrases and Cliches You're Over (1 Viewer)

I’m a bit over when people say they’ve been buying or selling a player “in a few places”. I think it’s irritating because it makes it sound like you can just go out and do what you want in all these leagues whereas my experience is that trading is pretty hard in a lot of leagues.

But the big one for me is saying as a throwaway piece of analysis that “I like him in best ball”. It always makes me groan because hardly anyone outside of a few industry people actually plays best ball. So it’s pointless to express that view as analysis. It’s also kind of a lazy way to hedge your bets on a player if you’re not sure (which is a lot of players).
This is remarkably untrue.

This is remarkably untrue.
I guess I was basing my comment on nothing....but I don’t know anyone personally who plays best ball and it seems like it’s only analysts who talk about it around MFL10 time. Even if plenty of people do play it, would you agree that it’s a fairly minor chunk of the fantasy league pie? If so then my comment about the value of that analysis is still valid.

I guess I was basing my comment on nothing....but I don’t know anyone personally who plays best ball and it seems like it’s only analysts who talk about it around MFL10 time. Even if plenty of people do play it, would you agree that it’s a fairly minor chunk of the fantasy league pie? If so then my comment about the value of that analysis is still valid.
It's all good we're only yapping about cliches and phrases. But bestball is growing really fast. And to the point, I just drafted Tarik Cohen in the 6th in a bestball. A perfect example of a player that is better for that format.

I play a fair amount of FFPC and the FBG championship series. The satellites to get in are bestballs, and the consolation prizes for the larger leagues are often the $35 bestball satellite tickets. DRAFT is mostly bestball. The MFL10 platform has grown dramatically and they offer quite a lot more than just $10 entries. I am also in one dynasty league that is bestball but that's just one isolated example.

Anyway no biggie but yeah I analyze between one format and the other all the time and I admittedly do use that phrase a lot.

I believe in the man's talent....

...any phrase combining "talent" and "opportunity"

....and anything regarding Head & Shoulders offense/defense. Done with it. Flooding the market, are we P&G?

Certainly it is a smaller chunk. Not sure I'd call it minor anymore. 

I get a little tired of the term “bust” when people mean “underperforming”, small sample size, or when circumstances out of a player’s control are present.

I’m not saying there’s no such thing as a bust.  But a top player getting hurt doesn’t make him a “bust”, just a pick that didn’t work out for you. 

Or it’s possible that you had higher expectations for a player than were realistic. 

The butt hurt is strong in the FF community & i think “bust” is too often interchanged with “a player I got burned by last year”. 

I remember when for years the consensus belief was that WRs took 3 years to develop. Now we have more pro-style offenses in the college game so we’ve seen a lot more rookie WRs become immediate impact players, but that doesn’t mean it’s not still a difficult position, and playing against NFL-caliber DBs is hard. 

As a result, young WRs are often labeled “busts” prematurely. 

QBs as well - look at how good Rosen looks on a terrible Miami team. Or Matt’ Barkley, who’s been plying lights out this preseason. 

So “experts” are guilty of this as well. 

Hey! Small sample size is a thing!

It is not a cliche.

For evaluation where statistical analysis is used, the size of the sample being evaluated is key to determining the validity of the result. 

It’s precisely why I used it in my post.

Hey! Small sample size is a thing!

It is not a cliche.

For evaluation where statistical analysis is used, the size of the sample being evaluated is key to determining the validity of the result. 

It’s precisely why I used it in my post.
But it is cliche to the extent it's used on these forums. Nobody is using the student's t distribution to test significance around here, so we don't know the real importance of any sample size. It's just something we say.

But it is cliche to the extent it's used on these forums. Nobody is using the student's t distribution to test significance around here, so we don't know the real importance of any sample size. It's just something we say.
Oh come on - if we’re discussing a RB who’s had 60 carries in his career & we say it’s a small sample size it’s absolutley being used in the proper context, and we absolutely know the real importance of it. 

Someone will make a blanket statement about that RB like, “what a bust! He had 2.4 YPC his rookie season!”

among other possible flaws with a statement like that (OL play,  situational usage, injury, etc) is sample size. 

I don’t see it used inappropriately very often, but I won’t tell you what you’ve experienced.  :shrug:

"Will be part of a RBBC"

I don't know many franchises that give the ball to one and only one guy.
On the other hand, we do get told at cliche-worthy levels that “the QB is the only player who touches the ball on every play.”  Which cliche could be happily done away with, imo.

This did remind me with great amusement of the time we actually had a QBBC in the NFL.  Any old-timers remember who and when?

when rotoworld or anyone else refers to a WR or RB as a WR4/5... nobod's starting requirements have 4 or 5 WR's as starters.... so in my eyes those WR's are just bench depth
Play in some deeper leagues.  My primary league is a 12-teamer that starts 4 WRs plus a possible flex.  I’ve also got an 8-teamer starting 6 WRs.

"Trotting" a player out there is a bit ridiculous
Unless, of course, we are talking about Michael Gallup.  Then it’s off to the races with this cliche!

• Sad
Reactions: -X-
I’m also nominating “so-and-so mediocre RB has really improved his pass catching this offseason.”

Never in the history of the NFL has a back failed to do this, and rarely does it result in any measurable uptick in receiving productivity.

I’m also nominating “so-and-so mediocre RB has really improved his pass catching this offseason.”

Never in the history of the NFL has a back failed to do this, and rarely does it result in any measurable uptick in receiving productivity.
If any RBs do this and "add 10 pounds of muscle" in the offseason, they auto-rise to the top of my draft board so I can get as many shares as possible while fading the weaker non pass-catching RBs busts-to-be.

Not sure it’s a fantasy cliche ... actually it’s not!

but...

john Gruden’s “Knock on wood if you’re with me, man” is ####ing so gwop damned annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
I believe in the man's talent....

...any phrase combining "talent" and "opportunity"

....and anything regarding Head & Shoulders offense/defense. Done with it. Flooding the market, are we P&G?
So if I said, “I see some white flakes on that player’s jersey - he could really use some Head & Shoulders for that dandruff” that would bother you?

:confused:

"regression" , "my model says" , "target projection" 

If football had anything to do with math Mike "Da Grassi" Tyson would have 5000 yards rushing. The only place math has in the National Football League is 4-3 vs 3-4, 3rd down, 2 minute warning, 1st and goal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Generational talent

Saw an article titled the top ten generational talents in the NFL today.  

I keep thinking they don’t even understand their own cliche’s because they are so overused.

For TEs (esp rookies): “needs to improve his blocking”. Said by people who have no idea about blocking. It’s just a safe thing to say to make you sound smart since none of your audience has any idea either!

Needing to “improve in pass protection” is the RB version of this...

And of course any references to a bad o-line....again, most people aren’t able to truly assess that....but 90% of the o-lines are bad, or shaky or lack depth so you can’t go wrong!

Another phrase that's prevalent with sports in general and a term I seriously LOATHE is: "To a man".  

GTFOH with that nonsense.

• Laughing
“Flex option” by far 

Such a broad/safe statement to make. 
Even worse is "what the heck flex". I’ve been a satisfied FBG customer for a million years, but when I read that in their newsletter comments, it makes my eyes roll. Jeez, 80% of all NFL players are what the heck flex plays. 

Even worse is "what the heck flex". I’ve been a satisfied FBG customer for a million years, but when I read that in their newsletter comments, it makes my eyes roll. Jeez, 80% of all NFL players are what the heck flex plays. 
Not to judge, but if I’m  paying for premium content I want a “feel confident with this flex” guy, not a “what the heck flex.” 

Always ironic when a random nobody that isn’t a top 100 guy in their own chosen profession is calling a guy that is actually in the top 100 of their profession “just a guy”.
That's always bothered me, but I guess it functions as shorthand for average. I dunno...never thought using it was too appropriate, but when in Rome...

Users who are viewing this thread