What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Phrases and Cliches You're Over (1 Viewer)

The phrase that perplexes me is when an announcer says "he threw an absolute dime".  Pray tell, what does that even mean?  The phrase "drop a dime" was a reference to making a phone call which comes from the cost of a call at a pay phone for many years (usually used in the sense of being an informant, a "dime-dropper", or "diming someone in").  Basketball began using the term to refer to an assist (I suppose the parallel here was, like a phone call, an assist is a "connection" between two players).  Football has borrowed the term of "dropping a dime", and, again, I suppose the same parallel exists.  However, when the announcer exclaims that the QB just "threw an absolute dime" to his wideout, the parallel is pretty much lost.  I do not think that means what they think that means!

The phrase that perplexes me is when an announcer says "he threw an absolute dime".  Pray tell, what does that even mean?  The phrase "drop a dime" was a reference to making a phone call which comes from the cost of a call at a pay phone for many years (usually used in the sense of being an informant, a "dime-dropper", or "diming someone in").  Basketball began using the term to refer to an assist (I suppose the parallel here was, like a phone call, an assist is a "connection" between two players).  Football has borrowed the term of "dropping a dime", and, again, I suppose the same parallel exists.  However, when the announcer exclaims that the QB just "threw an absolute dime" to his wideout, the parallel is pretty much lost.  I do not think that means what they think that means!
There's also "turned on a dime" to describe having a very small turning radius, or making a change of direction move with little wasted motion.

I always assumed "throwing on a dime" was similar, expressing accruacy of target.

:shrug:

AIR YARDS .    I'm not so much against this explicitly really, but this is just another way to quantify how you like or dislike a certain player or situation. (Kinda like most stats)  :ph34r:

But, it may even evolve and get worse. 

Next it will be "air yards at home" (or air yards on the road), then it may turn into "air yards at home in a divisional game".....then it may be "air yards at home vs. the Patriots" or whatever team you want.

Lets keep splitting hairs FFS until we can prove the point we are trying to accept, and push the agenda we personally want.

I have heard "air yards" entirely too much this year, like its the trendy new stat every podcast or armchair analyst just HAS to use.

:wall:

TZM

This! 

Literally every player in fantasy could be a league winner if things break right for them. 

At least it's better than last year's "he is going to eat."
Yes! This is tied with "too many mouths to feed" as the worst of all time. And when I see Zeke do the spoon to the mouth gesture to "feed" him, I really want to cram a spoon down his throat. 

It was used in basketball before football. It meant a great pass, for some reason. Dime is generally a positive adjective for pursuits, whatever its origin. Comes from the streets. 

AIR YARDS .    I'm not so much against this explicitly really, but this is just another way to quantify how you like or dislike a certain player or situation. (Kinda like most stats)  :ph34r:

But, it may even evolve and get worse. 

Next it will be "air yards at home" (or air yards on the road), then it may turn into "air yards at home in a divisional game".....then it may be "air yards at home vs. the Patriots" or whatever team you want.

Lets keep splitting hairs FFS until we can prove the point we are trying to accept, and push the agenda we personally want.

I have heard "air yards" entirely too much this year, like its the trendy new stat every podcast or armchair analyst just HAS to use.

:wall:

TZM
There is so much over analysis in FF anymore that I don't see how people that take these things into consideration consider it a fun hobby anymore.  It's almost a full time job.

I guess if you are doing high stakes or DFS, where the object is strictly to make money, then it makes sense to treat it as a full time job, but for somebody who plays more casually, it seems like it would take away a lot of the fun.  I see people use line-up analyzers for freinds/family leagues and shake my head.  To me, that's the fun part of FF, is doing the analysis yourself. 

To each his own though 

Users who are viewing this thread