What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite obscure kickers from the past (1 Viewer)

Uwe von Schamann gets my vote :)

Not really from the past and I'm not sure if punters count, but I love it whenever Tom Rouen kicks the ball. He always has to go and Rouen everything...

:bag:

Don ####roft. That's C0ckroft.

Steve Cox- he could and did make some long ones.

Cox made a 60 yarder which was at the time the 2nd longest.

He also made the last straight-on field goal in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
did Jeff Ward ever actually kick in the NFL or just get cut in training camp by the Cowboys?
"I would be shocked if the Cowboys drafted a kicker. Do you realize that the last kicker this team drafted was former Longhorn great Jeff Ward in the 11th round of the 1987 draft and he didn’t make the club."- Matt Mosley

link

I know FBG isn't exactly overflowing with rocket scientists but wtf w/naming some very well-known PKs, assuming one knows anything about the NFL beyond 10-15 years ago that is :rolleyes: I'll add Toni Linhart - played a few yrs for Colts in 70s. I mostly remember him for his blatant attempts at tripping players who were returning kicks and getting as far as him. Didn't think he was all THAT obscure till I noticed even www.pro-football-reference.com doesn't list him :bag:

well-known PKs
Oxymoron.C'mon, man, all kickers are obscure.
That is precisely what I was thinking.I'd love to run a challenge among all users here to see what percentage could name every team's primary placekicker this year (the one who kicked the most field goals). I'd be shocked if more than 1 in 20 could do it.

well-known PKs
Oxymoron.C'mon, man, all kickers are obscure.
That is precisely what I was thinking.I'd love to run a challenge among all users here to see what percentage could name every team's primary placekicker this year (the one who kicked the most field goals). I'd be shocked if more than 1 in 20 could do it.
in.
I have no actual plans to do this, mostly because I can't travel to each one of you and make sure you're not cheating. I'll readily admit I couldn't do it, btw.

Carlos HuertaMassimo MancaBenny "Ricky" RicardoHayden EpsteinFlorian KempfAnd we used to call him:Donald Ookey-BookeyWhen Mark Moseley won the MVP in his 1983 season he missed 14 field goals that year and missed one extra point. Sure he scored 161 points but a kicker winning the MVP? And one who missed 14 field goals and hit only 70% on them?

I'll add Toni Linhart - played a few yrs for Colts in 70s. I mostly remember him for his blatant attempts at tripping players who were returning kicks and getting as far as him.
Full name: Anton Hansjog LinhartCollege: Austria Tech

Times have definitely changed. He played seven years in the NFL despite some less than stellar yearly FG percentages:

40.0%

60.0%

55.6%

74.1%

65.4%

47.1%

42.9%

Carlos Huerta

Massimo Manca

Benny "Ricky" Ricardo

Hayden Epstein

Florian Kempf

And we used to call him:

Donald Ookey-Bookey

When Mark Moseley won the MVP in his 1983 season he missed 14 field goals that year and missed one extra point. Sure he scored 161 points but a kicker winning the MVP? And one who missed 14 field goals and hit only 70% on them?
1982, my friend, 1982. He set the record for most consecutive FG's without a miss (23 IIRC), and that was for a team that was playing important games in a strike-shortened season (every game worth more) and would go on to win the Super Bowl. :thumbup:

I love how many of these guys played for the Giants.Since it's Super Bowl week Jim O'Brien of the Colts comes to mind. The dude kicked the winning field goal for the Colts in Super Bowl V, but that game is pretty much remembered for being about the sloppiest Super Bowl every played. He was a rookie at the time and ended up playing only 3 years for the Colts. The FG was necessary in part because O'Brien had an extra point blocked earlier in the game.-QG

I love how many of these guys played for the Giants.

Since it's Super Bowl week Jim O'Brien of the Colts comes to mind. The dude kicked the winning field goal for the Colts in Super Bowl V, but that game is pretty much remembered for being about the sloppiest Super Bowl every played. He was a rookie at the time and ended up playing only 3 years for the Colts. The FG was necessary in part because O'Brien had an extra point blocked earlier in the game.

-QG
They also had a rookie coach Don McCafferty (first rookie head coach to win a SB). He died of a heart attack in 1974.

I quasi cheated while looking up Flutie's rookie year, but I came upon the guy who has to be the 2005 winner for obscure kicker of the year:Remy Hamilton of the Lions. (#19 on your program)He played one game this year for the injured Jason Hanson. His stats?FG: 0/0XP: 0/1 (blocked)I should note that he did notch one tackle however ;)The dude's 32 so it's quite possible this'll be his only taste of NFL action. Gotta give it up to the guy for following his dream, eh?-QG

Carlos Huerta

Massimo Manca

Benny "Ricky" Ricardo

Hayden Epstein

Florian Kempf

And we used to call him:

Donald Ookey-Bookey

When Mark Moseley won the MVP in his 1983 season he missed 14 field goals that year and missed one extra point. Sure he scored 161 points but a kicker winning the MVP? And one who missed 14 field goals and hit only 70% on them?
1982, my friend, 1982. He set the record for most consecutive FG's without a miss (23 IIRC), and that was for a team that was playing important games in a strike-shortened season (every game worth more) and would go on to win the Super Bowl. :thumbup:
My bad :bag:

I recently saw an old NFL Films season recap on the 'Skins' 1973 season IIRC, and they showed a Philadelphia Eagles kicker doing a kickoff.

The reason I bring this up is that dude was HUGE! I mean, Jared Lorenzen huge, and the same doughboy shape! No joke.

Does anybody know who he was?

I recently saw an old NFL Films season recap on the 'Skins' 1973 season IIRC, and they showed a Philadelphia Eagles kicker doing a kickoff.

The reason I bring this up is that dude was HUGE! I mean, Jared Lorenzen huge, and the same doughboy shape! No joke.

Does anybody know who he was?
Eagles kicker from '71 to '74:Thomas John Dempsey

Height: 6' 1'', Weight: 260

The same Dempsey that set the record for the Saints :)

A Nice Article on Tom Dempsey

Fun to note he also kiced an 8 (that's right EIGHT) yard field goal that day :)

This of course being before the goal-post was moved to the back of the endzone.

-QG

Eagles used a guy in preseason only who was also huge: Gary "the kicking mule" Bolden, who I noted above.He was primarily a D-Lineman.Lineman-Kickers are underappreciated.

I liked all the ethnic kickers find me a Japanese exchange student that subbed for an injured George Blanda and I want his jersey............ :excited:

Chester Marcol.
Good oneI seem to recall him taking a blocked kick into the end zone for a TD...

found this

*(Sun 07-Sep) Chicago Bears - Classic game - Chester Marcol has his game winning field goal blocked in OT only to catch the block and run in for the winning TD in the season opener.
in the teams' 1980 regular season opener - which saw the longtime antagonists forge into sudden death locked in a 6-6 tie.

The subsequent decision came on one of the most memorable plays in their mutual history. At the 6-minute mark of the overtime, the Packers were in position to win on a routine, "chip shot" field goal by Chester Marcol. That opportunity, however, appeared to dissolve when Bears defensive tackle Alan Page charged through to block Marcol's kick.

Fortunately for Marcol and the Packers, the ball bounced right back to him and, scooping it up, he darted 24 yards down the west sideline for the deciding score in a 12-6 Green Bay victory.

Mike Mercer.Kicker of the first FG is Super Bowl history... a 31 yarder for the Chiefs.

For all the Steelers' fans:

It was one of the first fan clubs formed during the heyday of the Pittsburgh Steelers: Gerela’s Gorillas. Any fan of the Steelers during the 1970s recalls it as fondly as Franco’s Italian Army. In fact, both groups were immortalized, to Pittsburghers anyway, in the team’s theme song of that time — the Steeler Polka.

And, yes, it was a little unusual that there was a fan club for a kicker, even if that kicker was Roy Gerela — who got three Super Bowl rings during his career with the Steelers from 1971-78. Gerela, 58, is the quality control coordinator for the New Mexico State University football team. He graduated from the school, and he played for the Aggies from 1965-68 before being drafted by the Houston Oilers in the fourth round of the 1969 draft.

And he remembers his days in Pittsburgh, including that rowdy fan club, very fondly. “That was the very first fan club formed in the NFL,” he said. “They asked the Rooneys (team owners) and the TV affiliates if they could put a banner up, and they weren’t allowed to. But they went ahead and did it anyway.

“They said we’re gonna cheer for you. I asked why they didn’t have one in Terry (Bradshaw) or Franco’s (Harris) honor. Why me? I told them I’d feel more comfortable if they did that, but they said no, we want you."

“At first it was kind of embarrassing because it was the only banner in the stadium. But I always remember Terry Hanratty. He’d come by and say, ‘Look at that sign. It looks good. You’re being honored by all these fans, which is terrific.’ He said it was a lot of fun and maybe it would catch on with the rest of the guys, and sure enough they all popped up in the next few weeks. I still have the original T-shirt.”
link

As the esteemed Mr. Tremblay noted "all kickers are obscure", so the following two links can be included in this thread.

They both fall into the Where Are They Now category:

Former Saints kicker and Denmark native Morten Andersen worked Super Bowl XL as a color analyst for the Danish national television network. It was the ninth Super Bowl that Andersen has worked. He also played in Super Bowl XXXIII with the Atlanta Falcons, the only Super Bowl appearance as a player in his sparkling 23-year NFL career.
link
Nick Lowery hosts an hourlong radio show Monday through Friday on Sirius Satellite Radio. His goal is to help people make better decisions so they "perform under pressure when it matters most." His regularly scheduled guests include the director of the center for enhanced performance at the U.S. Military Academy, the professor of sports ethics at Rice University and a licensed psychologist in California. But he also has interviewed sports celebrities Dennis Eckersley, Emmitt Smith, **** Vermeil, Charles Barkley and Marcus Allen. They discuss dealing with pressure and setbacks. An October show focused on Houston Astros closer Brad Lidge, who gave up a game-ending home run in the playoffs. A show two weeks ago focused on Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy and the sudden death of his son.

Lowery, 49, is his own example. His illustrious career almost never got off the kicking tee. He was cut 11 times by eight teams. In 1980, he had finally had enough, and took a government job in Washington, D.C. That's it, he thought. No more football. Then the phone rang. It was Jim Schaaf, general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs, calling from a hospital. He was about to have back surgery, but he wanted to know if Lowery wanted a roster spot. "Thanks," Lowery told him, "but I already got a good job." He hung up and realized his mistake. "What have I done?" Lowery thought. He tracked down Schaaf at the hospital and told him he would report. Lowery spent the next 17 years in the NFL, setting 19 team records with the Chiefs, making three Pro Bowls and establishing an NFL standard for field-goal accuracy (which has since been broken).
link

Novo Bojovic -- Kicker for the Michigan Panthers in the USFL.

When I first read this thread the three names that popped into my mind were:

Ali Haji-sheik (I know I am butchering his name)

Bjorn Nittmo (left footed kicker)

Donald Igwebuike (busted for drugs)

Users who are viewing this thread