What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite sad song? Do you have a good one that gives you chills? (1 Viewer)

She sounds too polished, same applies to Taylor Swift.  
I don't agree in regards to Taylor.  Taylor is the opposite of a naturally gifted singer.  She had to work her butt off to improve as a singer considering how nasally and pitchy she was in her early years, and she still isn't close to an Adele when it comes to technical ability. Taylor definitely has some pop songs that were produced to have her song very polished, but those are the exceptions rather than the norm, IMO. 

Back in High school I made a mix tape( yea, I'm old)...

Side A was "when you have the one you love".

Side B was "when you've lost the one you love"

This song from Judas Priest was a show stopper of side B 

Here come the Tears.    :(  

Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor

In high school I had a mad crush on a girl that lasted for several years.  Before I came to terms with the fact we'd never be together, I hit a super depressed period of several months just pining away.  This song was in heavy rotation in those days.  30 years later, we are still friends - in fact her husband is one of my very best friends and was a groomsman in my wedding.  I'm super grateful to be with my wife, and I know that if that girl and I had ended up together we'd have killed each other.  Sinead's song doesn't make me sad pining any more, it just makes me sad I was ever that sad.  Over a girl.  In high school.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but while Adele has a few songs I can handle, her over the top singing style makes it hard for me to get any emotional reaction from her songs.  In essence, the way she sings most of the time reminds me of a guitar player who feels the need to shred like crazy in every solo, simply because they can.  She obviously was gifted with a great voice from the gods, but her "I am going to show off how awesome my voice is in every line, even when a little more restraint is needed" style of singing just isn't my thing. 
She sounds too polished, same applies to Taylor Swift.  
Imma let you finish, but I see them as complete opposites. I have a lot of respect for how Swift has managed her career (if not her relationships), and I find some of her songs enjoyable, but on an emotional level they do zero for me. 

Meanwhile, I wouldn't describe myself as a big Adele fan in terms of rushing out to buy her albums or seeing her concerts, but there's always been something about her voice that resonates with me (although I totally get not being able to get past the diva thing).

By the way, am I the only one old enough to remember a time when a singer's popularity was viewed as a mark against them, because it meant they had "sold out" and "gone Top 40"?

Taxi : Harry Chapin

YGuts me every time. Feel for Harry as he's flying high and getting stoned.
Harry Chapin can be a bit of an acquired taste, as he never quite figured out how to dial back the maudlin. But once you buy in to whatever premise he's offering, the emotions can get pretty raw. 

Aside from the obvious choices of "Taxi" and "Cats In The Cradle", I am partial to "Mr. Tanner" and "Dreams Go By".

Eva Cassidy. Best singer of all time. OF ALL TIME.

She could take any song, find its soul, and then gut you with it.

"Over The Rainbow"
"People Get Ready"
"Fields Of Gold"
"Imagine"
"What A Wonderful World"
"Autumn Leaves"
"Songbird"

If none of the above songs shake you to your core, then I submit that you have no core.
Incredible voice. I was first introduced to her when I heard her cover of Etta James' "At Last", which I've always regarded as a "sneaky sad" song. Ostensibly, it's about finding love, but there's an element of melancholy to it; for someone supposedly so happy, she sure is dwelling a lot on how awful her life was previously. (BTW, as much as I like Cassidy's cover, I would still rate the original higher.)

In High School, I was really into Bob Seger. When my first semi serious HS girlfriend dumped me, I got drunk and played We Got Tonight about a half dozen times on loop.

What a schmuck.

Imma let you finish, but I see them as complete opposites. I have a lot of respect for how Swift has managed her career (if not her relationships), and I find some of her songs enjoyable, but on an emotional level they do zero for me. 
Try the Taylor Swift tune I linked just above your post. The video of course increases the impact exponentially. 

Someone Great- LCD Soundsystem... funny, I always thought it was about his wife/gf/best-friend who had died, and not his therapist (clearly a friend, regardless). I had posted a David Sylvian tune at the beginning of the thread- that was a guy who could make even the happiest themes sound heartbreaking. this is one where it comes across as more bouncy/happy until you listen to the lyrics. well done song about loss.

Too late, for beginnings

Lover, you should've come over- Jeff Buckley... feel like I've been posting this one a lot lately in various music threads (because it's a favorite, sad or otherwise), but still a consistent amazing gut-punch song about love-lost in all the best ways for me. 

She’s the tear that hangs inside my soul forever

Admittedly skimmed, but think I get to claim these:

Praying by Kesha

When by Shania Twain

Father Daughter Dance by Kesha

In High School, I was really into Bob Seger. When my first semi serious HS girlfriend dumped me, I got drunk and played We Got Tonight about a half dozen times on loop.

What a schmuck.
Ha, in college, one of my housemates had a bad breakup, got drunk and blasted Blue Christmas by Elvis on his stereo after passing out in bed at about 3am. His door was locked so eventually we had to break it down to stop the music. 

I returned the favor by blasting Pantera ######## Hostile the next time he took a girl into his room. Joke was on me cause she turned out to be a metalhead and was turned on by the tunes so he had a great night and my revenge fell flat. Ah, the good old days. 

Ha, in college, one of my housemates had a bad breakup, got drunk and blasted Blue Christmas by Elvis on his stereo after passing out in bed at about 3am. His door was locked so eventually we had to break it down to stop the music. 

I returned the favor by blasting Pantera ######## Hostile the next time he took a girl into his room. Joke was on me cause she turned out to be a metalhead and was turned on by the tunes so he had a great night and my revenge fell flat. Ah, the good old days. 
Suzy was a headbanger.

Users who are viewing this thread