What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG DC/Balt/Philly Auction League (3 Viewers)

OK, we're gunning for Saturday 7/24 as the draft date

how'z that lookin'? :)

good for 7/24:

roadkill--auction master/pinch-hitter

1--Fear the Turtle

2--ravnzfan

3--roarlions

4--pablito

5--Go DC Yourself

6--phillyfan

7--nittnaylion

8--CommuterMan

9--renesauz

10-MONKEY

11-Jeff

12-valhallan

resident staffer confirmed, but we need to take up a collection for limo to assure prompt arrival...after all, he does live <10mi from draft site, so why wouldn't he be an hr or so late for the party? :P :scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any owners from last season who can't be at the draft but could participate remotely?

Are we planning any rule changes?

Are there any owners from last season who can't be at the draft but could participate remotely?Are we planning any rule changes?
Hey, champ. This league has always been about FBG getting together, shooting the shay, drinking a little beer... Emphasis has always been on the social aspect. I think remote bidding defeats the purpose. Plus, I think roadie has said that the remote feature has not been 100% reliable.No rule changes so far. A few of the guys wanted to change the way we handled waivers, as I recall.

Are there any owners from last season who can't be at the draft but could participate remotely?Are we planning any rule changes?
Hey, champ. This league has always been about FBG getting together, shooting the shay, drinking a little beer... Emphasis has always been on the social aspect. I think remote bidding defeats the purpose. Plus, I think roadie has said that the remote feature has not been 100% reliable.No rule changes so far. A few of the guys wanted to change the way we handled waivers, as I recall.
Remote function has failed us once in three years of use. Those of you who have seen me grappling with the intricacies of the projector know how technologically challenged I am so it could very well have been a human malfunction. Still, FTT's observation about the social aspects are the primary issue.As far as rule changes go, I would like to gently suggest changing from PPR to PPFDR, if MFL supports it.

Remote function has failed us once in three years of use. Those of you who have seen me grappling with the intricacies of the projector know how technologically challenged I am so it could very well have been a human malfunction. Still, FTT's observation about the social aspects are the primary issue.As far as rule changes go, I would like to gently suggest changing from PPR to PPFDR, if MFL supports it.
I have no problem with emphasizing the social aspect of the league, was just thinking that it would be a shame to lose owners because of the distance they have to travel to participate in the draft. Maybe anyone who was in the league and is considering dropping out could set up a proxy bidder?It looks like PPFDR is supported by MFL. If we consider such a change, now would be a good time for debate. It seems like a pretty substantial change to me, but I haven't played in a league with PPFDR before so I could be wrong. Seems like scoring for WRs in particular would drop a lot from what we have had in the past and that RBs would gain in importance vs. other positions. Anyone have a link to a league that used PPFDR last season which would show us the top scorers?

Sorry guys, looks like I'm gonna have to drop out. With my job relocating to Ft. Meade next year (which would actually put me much closer to the rest of you than I currently am) I decided to take the time to look at opportunities throughout the country. Looks like I'm going to be working in Columbus Ohio starting August. While that does mean I'll still be in the area during the draft, it's hard for me to justify spending a day drafting when I most likely will be scrambling to finish packing. Technically it's not official yet, although I've been told that once the company decides who their top candidates are for each of the positions, they'll make the official offers and that I will definitely be one of them. So it's about as official as it can get without being official.

Been fun getting together with you the last 2 years. Would've loved to try another season to see if my team could ever not suck. Don't know what it is about this format that's causing me issues. The auction, the 3wr+flex, the bestball format?

Hopefully you guys can find someone else to boost your won-loss records.

Sorry guys, looks like I'm gonna have to drop out. With my job relocating to Ft. Meade next year (which would actually put me much closer to the rest of you than I currently am) I decided to take the time to look at opportunities throughout the country. Looks like I'm going to be working in Columbus Ohio starting August. While that does mean I'll still be in the area during the draft, it's hard for me to justify spending a day drafting when I most likely will be scrambling to finish packing. Technically it's not official yet, although I've been told that once the company decides who their top candidates are for each of the positions, they'll make the official offers and that I will definitely be one of them. So it's about as official as it can get without being official.Been fun getting together with you the last 2 years. Would've loved to try another season to see if my team could ever not suck. Don't know what it is about this format that's causing me issues. The auction, the 3wr+flex, the bestball format? Hopefully you guys can find someone else to boost your won-loss records.
Good luck in Columbus. You'll be missed, esp. if we can't get the projector working again. :goodposting:

Sorry guys, looks like I'm gonna have to drop out. With my job relocating to Ft. Meade next year (which would actually put me much closer to the rest of you than I currently am) I decided to take the time to look at opportunities throughout the country. Looks like I'm going to be working in Columbus Ohio starting August. While that does mean I'll still be in the area during the draft, it's hard for me to justify spending a day drafting when I most likely will be scrambling to finish packing. Technically it's not official yet, although I've been told that once the company decides who their top candidates are for each of the positions, they'll make the official offers and that I will definitely be one of them. So it's about as official as it can get without being official.Been fun getting together with you the last 2 years. Would've loved to try another season to see if my team could ever not suck. Don't know what it is about this format that's causing me issues. The auction, the 3wr+flex, the bestball format? Hopefully you guys can find someone else to boost your won-loss records.
Well, that sucks for us (because you're a fun guy at an auction) but congrats to you. With this being a "redraft" leeg, you could change your mind at the last minute and still almost for sure get in.

Well, best of luck to you, man. It's been great having you at the Draft, and in the League. A Founding Member carries some clout, so I'll throw this out there: if you decide at the 11th hour that you'd like to make the trek, and Draft, and we have enough guys to make the League work, you can have my spot. I'll always show up, just to be social, etc, and be an emergency stand-in, but you're 'IN' until you decide you're not.

Also, I can and will stand proxy for you if you'd like to pursue that angle. Keep me posted. As always, I'm here to help.

I have no problem with emphasizing the social aspect of the league, was just thinking that it would be a shame to lose owners because of the distance they have to travel to participate in the draft. Maybe anyone who was in the league and is considering dropping out could set up a proxy bidder?It looks like PPFDR is supported by MFL. If we consider such a change, now would be a good time for debate. It seems like a pretty substantial change to me, but I haven't played in a league with PPFDR before so I could be wrong. Seems like scoring for WRs in particular would drop a lot from what we have had in the past and that RBs would gain in importance vs. other positions. Anyone have a link to a league that used PPFDR last season which would show us the top scorers?
I'll work on this project later this week. I should be able to download my local league's scoring list from last year into a pasteable format.It seems to increase WR scoring by about half what PPR does. If PPR increases the top WR scores by 7-8 points, PPFDR results in a 3-4 point increase. It worked out very well for our league since its inception a couple of years ago. Thanks again to Jeff P for his research in this area.

As far as rule changes go, I would like to gently suggest changing from PPR to PPFDR, if MFL supports it.
It looks like PPFDR is supported by MFL. If we consider such a change, now would be a good time for debate. It seems like a pretty substantial change to me, but I haven't played in a league with PPFDR before so I could be wrong. Seems like scoring for WRs in particular would drop a lot from what we have had in the past and that RBs would gain in importance vs. other positions. Anyone have a link to a league that used PPFDR last season which would show us the top scorers?
I'll work on this project later this week. I should be able to download my local league's scoring list from last year into a pasteable format.It seems to increase WR scoring by about half what PPR does. If PPR increases the top WR scores by 7-8 points, PPFDR results in a 3-4 point increase. It worked out very well for our league since its inception a couple of years ago. Thanks again to Jeff P for his research in this area.
Thanks for the feedback, will appreciate any scoring you can provide from your local league.Not complaining about any changes, but it would be kind of nice to go more than 1 season with the same scoring system for the league. Changing each year makes it a bit more difficult to guess what other owners will do and how much they will value certain positions/players.

As far as rule changes go, I would like to gently suggest changing from PPR to PPFDR, if MFL supports it.
It looks like PPFDR is supported by MFL. If we consider such a change, now would be a good time for debate. It seems like a pretty substantial change to me, but I haven't played in a league with PPFDR before so I could be wrong. Seems like scoring for WRs in particular would drop a lot from what we have had in the past and that RBs would gain in importance vs. other positions. Anyone have a link to a league that used PPFDR last season which would show us the top scorers?
Thanks for the feedback, will appreciate any scoring you can provide from your local league.Not complaining about any changes, but it would be kind of nice to go more than 1 season with the same scoring system for the league. Changing each year makes it a bit more difficult to guess what other owners will do and how much they will value certain positions/players.
I should probably butt out anyway since I'm only on standby as an active owner.

I should probably butt out anyway since I'm only on standby as an active owner.
your butt is fine right where it's at!if the MFL software handles it + we decide we want to impliment, we'll do it--I'm not for or against the change, I'm about what you guys want

IIRC, the league Commissioner can play with the scoring settings on an MFL league, and within the hour it will update the historical data for a couple years back under the top performers to show how that scoring system would have played out.

If you guys need another owner I am in Hagerstown Md, just send me a PM and we can go from there. I am in plenty of Dynasty leagues and 1 keeper league currently but would love a "local" league.

T

If you guys need another owner I am in Hagerstown Md, just send me a PM and we can go from there. I am in plenty of Dynasty leagues and 1 keeper league currently but would love a "local" league.T
Holy crap, what's that big blue monstrosity under your name?

If you guys need another owner I am in Hagerstown Md, just send me a PM and we can go from there. I am in plenty of Dynasty leagues and 1 keeper league currently but would love a "local" league.T
Holy crap, what's that big blue monstrosity under your name?
:D It could be purple and black, but never eva burgandy and gold :lmao:

hey TBam...we're trying to get to 14 owners in the league, where we'd play a perfectly balanced schedule of 13 games (everyone once)so if you're good for a live draft Saturday 7/26 in Glenelg (about 50 mi E of you + just off 70), consider yourself part of the group!

hey TBam...we're trying to get to 14 owners in the league, where we'd play a perfectly balanced schedule of 13 games (everyone once)so if you're good for a live draft Saturday 7/26 in Glenelg (about 50 mi E of you + just off 70), consider yourself part of the group!
I will let you know for sure, I know we have a trip to OC right around that time but have to verify with my BIL as to when we are able to have their beach house to ourselves. I should know by early next week.

I think I've potentially lined up another Owner. Details to follow, but like Pablito, this guy is a solid FF'er with a long history of success in the No Mercy Leagues, which is nice...

...meeting him tomorrow at the M3 Festival in Columbia, MD. 80's Metal Extravaganza headlined by Scorpions and Cinderella, with local band Kix chiming in, and some Vince Neil and Winger to boot, not to mention about 10 other worthless bands (although some folks would argue that Bang Tango, LA Guns and Warrant have some street cred)...

...but I digress. He's a solid Player and would be a nice addition to the League. We'll see...

nittanylion said:
I think I've potentially lined up another Owner. Details to follow, but like Pablito, this guy is a solid FF'er with a long history of success in the No Mercy Leagues, which is nice......meeting him tomorrow at the M3 Festival in Columbia, MD. 80's Metal Extravaganza headlined by Scorpions and Cinderella, with local band Kix chiming in, and some Vince Neil and Winger to boot, not to mention about 10 other worthless bands (although some folks would argue that Bang Tango, LA Guns and Warrant have some street cred)......but I digress. He's a solid Player and would be a nice addition to the League. We'll see...
If he's anything like Pablito then I'd say "solid" won't do him justice. Looking forward to hearing about him.My sources tell me that Cinderella, Kix, and LA Guns stole the show while the Scorpions were "just decent." :thumbup:

I'm going to PM him now to let him know he needs to chime in here ASAP if he's interested in the 2010 Season...

As for the M3 Concert...

Kix really brought it, as they often do when it's a 'home field' show for them, and they are not the Headliner. I think they get off on putting on a show that forces the bands playing after them to work harder. I've been a Kix fan for almost 30 years, and I love that about them...

I'm not a fan of Glam Rock, so I didn't even go into the festival until right before Winger took the stage...saw Winger, Kix, Vince Neil, Cinderella and Scorpions in that order.

Winger was fine, nothing over the top...Kix kicked butt...Vince Neil was better than Winger...Cinderella wasn't as good as Vince Neil (but that may be my own personal bias - I like their harder stuff, but they played a lot of slow stuff and ballads, which I have no time for)...personally, I thought Scorpions played a great show, given that Klaus Meine had the flu. They altered their set list to protect his voice, which was fine, because we got to hear some things we otherwise wouldn't have, and Vince Neil even came out for a cameo appearance, singing an old classic 'Another Piece of Meat'. Rudolf and Mathias were brimming with energy. James Kottak went nuts on drums. Now, that's coming from someone who has the entire anthology of Scorpions, and probably likes about 90% of it. If you went to hear their 'hits' (which arguably they could have been heavier on, since this was a festival, and not a Scorpions concert, per se), then, yes, I'd agree it might have been only 'decent' appealing...at the end of the day, I didn't regret spending $75 on a Ticket. The only thing I didn't enjoy was how long the breaks were between bands. They were advertised as much shorter, and it was painful to sit around more than 30 minutes waiting for the next band to come on, considering many of them only played 45-60 minute sets.

Now, about THE LEAGUE...

...we're Drafting in 3 Weeks! Yee Haw!!!

...but I have to ask: are we firmly set on a venue? Is Bethesda still in play, or are we committed to Glenelg?

http://www.caddiesoncordell.com/aboutUs.asp

This is my friend's place, and the date is not a problem, but it would be great to commit one way or the other before too long. Probably not a bad idea to take a pulse reading and see what folks think...

I'm cool with any site but we'll need someplace with a big screen or nice smooth light-colored wall for projection quality. And since I have the hearing capabilities of an 80-year-old former drummer in a rock-and-roll band, minimum noise -- unless someone younger wants to sit next to me all day and tell me whose name to type in.

Wouldn't mind the move to Bethesda, a little shorter commute. Looks like the upstairs party room would work, as long as we don't have to commit to food/drink minimums.

As a Bethesda resident, clearly, Caddies gets my vote...

In Bethesda I will take the Metro and accordingly drink alot and get a poor team. In Glenelg, I will drive, drink less, and get a poor team. So my choice is clear. But the league was founded in Glenelg, so I will be there regardless. What would be nice would be some "certainty" in the next week or so: number of teams, roster size, auction budget.

In Bethesda I will take the Metro and accordingly drink alot and get a poor team. In Glenelg, I will drive, drink less, and get a poor team. So my choice is clear. But the league was founded in Glenelg, so I will be there regardless. What would be nice would be some "certainty" in the next week or so: number of teams, roster size, auction budget.
:thumbup:

Coming from Norfolk, so whatever is closest to me gets my obvious vote. If neither is significantly closer, then whatever place encourages the most drinking poor drafting! :goodposting:

Sorry about the caps B4

Have we decided where and when yet. If we havent decided I vote for the Glenelg and the 26th.

With less than 2 weeks to go until draft day, can we get everything settled - draft location, number of owners, budget, etc.?

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend.

I've been awaiting final word from the boss (my sister-in-law) about the venue before finalizing things. She has spoken: the Glenelg site is not available this year. Her family will be visiting next week. The fallback location is Caddies bar in Bethesda, located at 4922 Cordell Avenue. Several guys have spoken in favor of this site and, if nothing else, it'll be better for the traveling stud, renesauz. Does anyone have any big objection to this? If not, then we're looking at:

Date: July 24

Time: 1:00 p.m.

Place: 4922 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MD

Fee: $60

Scoring: WCOFF with the .5, 1, 1.5 tiered PPR scoring for RBs, WRs, and TEs. Best ball.

Budget: $300

FA Budget: $300

Right now we have 12 teams. We'll have 18 man rosters. We're still awaiting word from two FBGs. If we're bumped up to 14 teams, we'll have 16 man rosters.

I've been awaiting final word from the boss (my sister-in-law) about the venue before finalizing things. She has spoken: the Glenelg site is not available this year. Her family will be visiting next week. The fallback location is Caddies bar in Bethesda, located at 4922 Cordell Avenue. Several guys have spoken in favor of this site and, if nothing else, it'll be better for the traveling stud, renesauz. Does anyone have any big objection to this? If not, then we're looking at:Date: July 24Time: 1:00 p.m.Place: 4922 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MDFee: $60Scoring: WCOFF with the .5, 1, 1.5 tiered PPR scoring for RBs, WRs, and TEs. Best ball.Budget: $300FA Budget: $300Right now we have 12 teams. We'll have 18 man rosters. We're still awaiting word from two FBGs. If we're bumped up to 14 teams, we'll have 16 man rosters.
Sounds good to me. Any thought of reducing the budget? There was some talk last year that a smaller budget might reduce the time spent on bidding, but I have no experience to base that on. Would a reduction to $275 or $250 make any significant difference in the auction process?

I've been awaiting final word from the boss (my sister-in-law) about the venue before finalizing things. She has spoken: the Glenelg site is not available this year. Her family will be visiting next week. The fallback location is Caddies bar in Bethesda, located at 4922 Cordell Avenue. Several guys have spoken in favor of this site and, if nothing else, it'll be better for the traveling stud, renesauz. Does anyone have any big objection to this? If not, then we're looking at:Date: July 24Time: 1:00 p.m.Place: 4922 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MDFee: $60Scoring: WCOFF with the .5, 1, 1.5 tiered PPR scoring for RBs, WRs, and TEs. Best ball.Budget: $300FA Budget: $300Right now we have 12 teams. We'll have 18 man rosters. We're still awaiting word from two FBGs. If we're bumped up to 14 teams, we'll have 16 man rosters.
Sounds good to me. Any thought of reducing the budget? There was some talk last year that a smaller budget might reduce the time spent on bidding, but I have no experience to base that on. Would a reduction to $275 or $250 make any significant difference in the auction process?
I'm a long-timer in a $200/20 auction league and, in my experience, it doesn't make a difference. You still have the same $1 or $2 a player end game.

Fear The Turtle said:
roarlions said:
Fear The Turtle said:
I'm a long-timer in a $200/20 auction league and, in my experience, it doesn't make a difference. You still have the same $1 or $2 a player end game.
I think the difference to which he refers is in the time it takes to bid on players, and thus the overall time of the auction.My suggestion: (1) 300 budget if 12 teams (3600 total dollars chasing 216 total roster spots); (2) 275 budget if 13 teams show up and we have to use a "league average" oppenent for one team each week (splitting the difference use 17-man rosters and thus have 3575 chasing 221); (3) 250 budget if 14 teams (3500 chasing 224).

Fear The Turtle said:
roarlions said:
Fear The Turtle said:
I've been awaiting final word from the boss (my sister-in-law) about the venue before finalizing things. She has spoken: the Glenelg site is not available this year. Her family will be visiting next week. The fallback location is Caddies bar in Bethesda, located at 4922 Cordell Avenue. Several guys have spoken in favor of this site and, if nothing else, it'll be better for the traveling stud, renesauz. Does anyone have any big objection to this? If not, then we're looking at:

Date: July 24

Time: 1:00 p.m.

Place: 4922 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, MD

Fee: $60

Scoring: WCOFF with the .5, 1, 1.5 tiered PPR scoring for RBs, WRs, and TEs. Best ball.

Budget: $300

FA Budget: $300

Right now we have 12 teams. We'll have 18 man rosters. We're still awaiting word from two FBGs. If we're bumped up to 14 teams, we'll have 16 man rosters.
I think the difference to which he refers is in the time it takes to bid on players, and thus the overall time of the auction.My suggestion: (1) 300 budget if 12 teams (3600 total dollars chasing 216 total roster spots); (2) 275 budget if 13 teams show up and we have to use a "league average" oppenent for one team each week (splitting the difference use 17-man rosters and thus have 3575 chasing 221); (3) 250 budget if 14 teams (3500 chasing 224).
I realize that, DC. My experience is that higher budgets lead to higher initial bids with the net being very little impact on the overall time the auction takes. Others may have different experiences. I have no problem with following your suggestion for the different league sizes or even reducing the $300 budget for the 12 teamer, though.

I'm unbelievably disappointed that I cant play. I will be out of town until the 26th. If for some reason the 24th doesn't work for everyone than I'm in. I'm sorry for this guys and I really want to be in the league but I got an offer for a free family time share vacation and I can't pass it up. I will be home early on the 26th. Let me know.

The season doesn't start until September 9th. 2 more days wouldn't hurt
Since this is a live, in-person draft, it isn't really a matter of only 2 days. The draft takes about 5 hours, so it can't be done on a weekday. Not doing it on the 24th would require moving it at least another week, if not more.

The season doesn't start until September 9th. 2 more days wouldn't hurt
Since this is a live, in-person draft, it isn't really a matter of only 2 days. The draft takes about 5 hours, so it can't be done on a weekday. Not doing it on the 24th would require moving it at least another week, if not more.
Right, can't even consider moving the date this late in the game. Frankly, with the time, travel, summer vacation considerations, etc., I'm amazed that we were able to get a date everyone could agree upon. You're welcome to give it another shot next year, Monkey, if you'd like.

Does someone have an "in" at Caddies? Getting a private area looks expensive as hell on their website. What's the setup gonna be like?

Now, about THE LEAGUE...

...we're Drafting in 3 Weeks! Yee Haw!!!

...but I have to ask: are we firmly set on a venue? Is Bethesda still in play, or are we committed to Glenelg?

http://www.caddiesoncordell.com/aboutUs.asp

This is my friend's place, and the date is not a problem, but it would be great to commit one way or the other before too long. Probably not a bad idea to take a pulse reading and see what folks think...
Does someone have an "in" at Caddies? Getting a private area looks expensive as hell on their website. What's the setup gonna be like?
Yeah, my friends own the place...the primary Owner gets back from vacation tomorrow, and I'll firm it up with him..I know the date isn't a problem, and we will have the upstairs all to ourselves, which is plenty of room for our group. Unless we want food and bar service, I'm almost 100% sure there wouldn't be a charge for the upstairs since its not used on Saturday days anyway unless there's a big sporting event going on, which there isn't......if we wanted bar service we'd have to pay for the beers/drinks and tip the bartender and that would be that, I'm almost 100% sure.

I'll have more info on Monday...regardless, I'll have a backup venue for us to Draft in in same general Rockville/Bethesda area as Caddies just in case...I'm very handy like that.

Venue is nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread