What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG DC/Balt/Philly Auction League (1 Viewer)

You guys were tremendous in being ready with your new player nominations. Everybody was hard wired into the auction and it really made things go. For the record: 210 players bought in 225 minutes of actual auction time. The first 90 players took 130 minutes, the last 120 players required just 95 minutes to buy. Excellent work.

On the negative side, please accept my apologies for the continuing projector problems and my slovenly appearance. I brought a nice shirt to wear but never found the time to change. :popcorn: ;)

Also, we should consider everybody funneling their nominations through Johnny because of his awesome pipes.

Enjoyed the heck out of the afternoon fellas! What a great way to spend a 103 degree afternoon... inside the AC, talkin' football and drinkin' beer! I thought the venue was terrific...

Not an in-depth NL team review from me, but a few quick thoughts on the team...

Peyton is clearly a keystone of this team, but in retrospect I guess I coulda/shoulda pushed harder for his backups. Hass and Orton may have a decent week here and there, but I prolly won't have two QBs scoring on very many weeks.

Real bullish on Pierre Thomas and Ced Benson this season. Having locked up both of the Bears and Colts RBs, my hope is that one guy of each of those pairs will become a bell cow on an every-other-week basis!

Not so happy with my WRs, without a real stud in the group... basically an assortment of WR2s. Ocho, Gaffney, Housh, Maclin, Mason, ABryant, NWashington... not even that good a group in a 12 team league. Not sure how I let that happen.

Dalls Clark and Heath Miller feel pretty strong at TE. SF and GB Ds should give me solid weeks too.

Great day, guys... good luck to all! :goodposting:

Had a great time, guys. Sorry I didn't get a chance to mingle and meet everyone, but I had another commitment to rush off to afterward.

Though I've been playing various forms of redraft and dynasty for about 13 years, I had never tried an auction. It was quite an experience and I'm guessing no other auction I try in the future will be as smooth without that excellent computer setup, roadie.

As for my team, my only real concern was not having enough cash to land a reliable 3rd RB late in the draft. I think Foster may hold the Houston job for a while, but other than him I had to scramble to grab some backups in decent situations and hope one gets a few starts. If Mendy and Wells can stay healthy, which I hope is more likely for them due to their youth than perhaps some other RBs, I should get at least average production from that spot.

Initially it appeared I spent too much on Rodgers and Brees, but when you can start 2 QBs I just couldn't pass them up at the $40-50 range. We'll see how that decision plays out, but right now I'm happy with it. I love Moore as a backup.

At WR, I didn't have much of a plan going in aside from taking guys that looked like good value. I think Smiff will have a bounce back season with a competent QB and I'm expecting 2 of Nicks/Crabtree/Harvin to put up solid points each week. The Henderson/Meachem combo should give me a few big weeks in a best ball format. B.Tate is a low risk, high yield option. Honestly, I ended up buying a couple guys when I had only bid to drive prices and that's where I lost my cash for the 3rd RB.

Carlson and Keller are a middling TE group... but I do think Carlson has a shot to be pretty consistent and Keller should have a big week here and there. Hopefully my strength at QB will make up for my weakness at TE.

All in all I think my first auction was a success. Good luck to all!

You did a great job with your 1st auction draft valhallan. Having Rodgers and Brees should cover any holes you have at other positions. I also wanted to get 2 high scoring QBs if possible, and decided to gamble on Favre and his health to save money for some other positions. If he scores near what he did last year, I'll be happy. Hopefully one of Garrard or Leinart do well in week 4 when both Romo and Favre are on bye. Leinart could be a steal for $1 if he manages to pull it together this season, but if he doesn't it isn't like I have anything to lose.

I like having Gore at RB because he doesn't seem to have any threat of losing many touches to another RB. Stewart helped me win the title last year when he had a bad achilles, so hopefully he will do as well this year if not better now that he is reported to be healthy. I really liked getting Jahvid Best for only $22 as the projections I have seen show him scoring within about 20 points of Ryan Mathews. Slaton is like Leinart, a cheap gamble that he is healthy and gets enough touches each game to score a fair number of points.

It just dawned on me that I seem to have employed the Eagles philosophy of gambling on players coming off injury that would come cheap. In addition to Favre and Slaton, I can probably add Sidney Rice to that group. If he is healthy and Favre looks to him like he did last year, Rice could be a relatively cheap WR1 at only $25. Hines Ward also seemed to be under-valued in our draft, but I guess with the uncertainty about Big Ben that might be expected. Still, I thought Ward was a good value. My other reclamation projects at WR include Driver, Eddie Royal, Donnie Avery and Braylon Edwards. I hope that out of this group a couple do well each week. Finally, I'm buying into the hype about Dexter McCluster being a do-everything offensive weapon for KC.

Not sure how I feel about getting Witten at TE. He was a disappointment last year, so he was cheaper than other similar TEs this year. Lots of people seem to expect a lot from the Dallas offense this season, so I'm hoping that Witten gets his fair share of the production.

I think my regrets are at backup RB and backup TE. There were players at each of those positions who I thought would go cheap late in the draft but that wasn't the case. Since I ended up with $13 left in the bank, I probably should have pushed harder at one or both of those positions instead of taking so many lower tier WRs. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks to everyone again who was responsible for the logistics of making it happen.

You did a great job with your 1st auction draft valhallan. Having Rodgers and Brees should cover any holes you have at other positions. I also wanted to get 2 high scoring QBs if possible, and decided to gamble on Favre and his health to save money for some other positions. If he scores near what he did last year, I'll be happy. Hopefully one of Garrard or Leinart do well in week 4 when both Romo and Favre are on bye. Leinart could be a steal for $1 if he manages to pull it together this season, but if he doesn't it isn't like I have anything to lose.

I like having Gore at RB because he doesn't seem to have any threat of losing many touches to another RB. Stewart helped me win the title last year when he had a bad achilles, so hopefully he will do as well this year if not better now that he is reported to be healthy. I really liked getting Jahvid Best for only $22 as the projections I have seen show him scoring within about 20 points of Ryan Mathews. Slaton is like Leinart, a cheap gamble that he is healthy and gets enough touches each game to score a fair number of points.

It just dawned on me that I seem to have employed the Eagles philosophy of gambling on players coming off injury that would come cheap. In addition to Favre and Slaton, I can probably add Sidney Rice to that group. If he is healthy and Favre looks to him like he did last year, Rice could be a relatively cheap WR1 at only $25. Hines Ward also seemed to be under-valued in our draft, but I guess with the uncertainty about Big Ben that might be expected. Still, I thought Ward was a good value. My other reclamation projects at WR include Driver, Eddie Royal, Donnie Avery and Braylon Edwards. I hope that out of this group a couple do well each week. Finally, I'm buying into the hype about Dexter McCluster being a do-everything offensive weapon for KC.

Not sure how I feel about getting Witten at TE. He was a disappointment last year, so he was cheaper than other similar TEs this year. Lots of people seem to expect a lot from the Dallas offense this season, so I'm hoping that Witten gets his fair share of the production.

I think my regrets are at backup RB and backup TE. There were players at each of those positions who I thought would go cheap late in the draft but that wasn't the case. Since I ended up with $13 left in the bank, I probably should have pushed harder at one or both of those positions instead of taking so many lower tier WRs. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks to everyone again who was responsible for the logistics of making it happen.
;) Never would've guessed he was a "rookie".

(picture roadkill standing with hand over heart) I hereby pledge that there will be no delays next year while we figure out how to make the projector work. And I'll dress and smell better, too.

With the 2010 Season wrapping up, no time like the present to put out a call for any and all interested folks living within the Washington, DC Metro Area, and points beyond to get involved with a great League...

Had to go with a 10-Teamer for 2010, but we're definitely looking to expand the field back to 12, and possibly up to 16, so PM the appropriate folks and get on board.

This is a solid League, with extremely high-level competition involving several prominent FBG'ers.

It's tough, but relatively cheap, which makes it an excellent investment opportunity to improve your FF Skills. Can't beat that with a stick...

Funny to see this bumped now - I was just in Caddie's last night for the first time in a while.

I'm also in if we get a season.

Figured I'd bump this again since it now looks like we will have a season. Hope there is some new blood interested in joining the league this season. The middle of August will be bad for me as far as drafting goes, but if we can do late July or early Aug. I should be OK.

If you are looking for new blood and I can work it in the right weekend, I'd love to join. I've never been in an auction draft for football before. I live in Howard County, so if you're still drafting locally again next year, that's a major plus as well. Let me know.

I plan on being back again. I'm available for drafting prior to Aug 18 (or after labor Day if the silliness drags on...)

In, absolutely, and bringing at least one new guy on board as well, if necessary.

...also, my buddy who was one of the principles at Caddie's, has branched out on his own with one of our other friends (they've both been in the business for over 20 years), and are scheduled to open a Steakhouse/Raw Bar called Grill Marx, located in Olney Town Center (Intersection of Georgia Ave / Route 108 next to the Harris-Teeter and in the same strip as the Green Turtle) in mid-July, which will be a little closer for the Howard County fellas, but not appreciably far away from Bethesda (20 min).

I have confirmed that we can certainly draft there, or at the Turtle. The food and beverages at Grill Marx will be significantly better than either Caddie's or Green Turtle, and as these are my boys, we'll be well taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that the activity on this board will pick up tremendously in the next week or so, so maybe we want to start throwing out dates for the auction and try to maximize the participation rate, so that this great leauge doesn't get lost in the shuffle I'm around all of August, but it sounds like some like Roarlions and Pablito are not. Should we shoot for the weekend of Aug. 13-14? Given that it sounds like that free agents won't begin to sign with other teams until July 28, an auction on Aug. 6-7 may be a stretch, but we may need to go that early if Aug.13-14 is not feasible.

'Go DC Yourself said:
My guess is that the activity on this board will pick up tremendously in the next week or so, so maybe we want to start throwing out dates for the auction and try to maximize the participation rate, so that this great leauge doesn't get lost in the shuffle I'm around all of August, but it sounds like some like Roarlions and Pablito are not. Should we shoot for the weekend of Aug. 13-14? Given that it sounds like that free agents won't begin to sign with other teams until July 28, an auction on Aug. 6-7 may be a stretch, but we may need to go that early if Aug.13-14 is not feasible.
Either of those weekends work for me. :football:

'Go DC Yourself said:
Either of those weekends work for me. :football:
Unfortunately the weekend of the 13th/14th doesn't work for me as we will be leaving early on the 14th for vacation and I won't be able to spend the majority of the day on the 13th doing the draft. The weekend of the 6th/7th should be fine I think.If free agency starts early next week I think most of the big free agents will be signed by Aug. 1st, so I think we would probably be OK on the 6th or 7th.My one request is that we get number of teams and rules worked out in advance of the draft this year, instead of finalizing things the day of the draft.

I was a part of this league for the first two years but could not make the draft last year. I would like to participate again this year if there is a spot for me. Keep me informed about draft dates but I should be around most of August.

Bill

aka Helmet Heads

I'm out the weekends in questiontravel to Va Beach leave Fri 8/5, return Sunday 8/14
How does July 31st look for everyone? Only problem is that there may not be many free agents signed by then.I'm also open to having someone else draft my team for me if it works out that the best time for the draft is when I am away.

Time for the usual suspect roundup after this cluster F of an offseason. Looks like scheduling is going to be an issue. I've listed all the known and probable owners and the days they have problems with. Feel free to chime in. We're looking for 14-16 teams so we still have openings.

1. Go DC Yourself

2. roarlions (8/13-14)

3. ravnzfan (8/5-14)

4. Fear The Turtle (8/5-13)

5. nittanylion

6. CommuterMan

7. pablito (8/18-9/5)

8. valhallan

9. phillyfan72

10. Jeff P. (8/6-13, 8/27-28)

11. Turtle's pal (probable)

12. nittany's pal (probable)

13. renesauz (possible)

Auctioneer/insurance: roadkill

UPDATE: roarlions has proposed July 31st. Comments?

I should be flexible for most weekends except 8/20 but I'm sure we'll do it before then. I will talk to some of my local FFers to see if any would like to join up.

Time for the usual suspect roundup after this cluster F of an offseason. Looks like scheduling is going to be an issue. I've listed all the known and probable owners and the days they have problems with. Feel free to chime in. We're looking for 14-16 teams so we still have openings.1. Go DC Yourself 2. roarlions (8/13-14)3. ravnzfan (8/5-14)4. Fear The Turtle (8/5-13)5. nittanylion6. CommuterMan7. pablito (8/18-9/5)8. valhallan9. Turtle's pal (probable)10. nittany's pal (probable)11. renesauz (possible)Auctioneer/insurance: roadkillI haven't heard back from phillyfan72 or Jeff P. yet.UPDATE: roarlions has proposed July 31st. Comments?
I'm in, depending on the date. I can work out most dates as long as I have a little notice. I think July 31st is a little optimistic, considering there is no CBA agreement yet, and even if there is soon, free agency may not start until after the 31st.

Time for the usual suspect roundup after this cluster F of an offseason. Looks like scheduling is going to be an issue. I've listed all the known and probable owners and the days they have problems with. Feel free to chime in. We're looking for 14-16 teams so we still have openings.1. Go DC Yourself 2. roarlions (8/13-14)3. ravnzfan (8/5-14)4. Fear The Turtle (8/5-13)5. nittanylion6. CommuterMan7. pablito (8/18-9/5)8. valhallan9. Turtle's pal (probable)10. nittany's pal (probable)11. renesauz (possible)Auctioneer/insurance: roadkillI haven't heard back from phillyfan72 or Jeff P. yet.UPDATE: roarlions has proposed July 31st. Comments?
I'm in, depending on the date. I can work out most dates as long as I have a little notice. I think July 31st is a little optimistic, considering there is no CBA agreement yet, and even if there is soon, free agency may not start until after the 31st.
Good to have a participant from the last two Bowls back in the fold. As for the date, while I agree that the 31st is early, we may have trouble coming up with an alternative. We'd all be in the same boat as far as guessing which FA would end up where, though.

One little complication may be in having any kind of current player files from which to pull. I have emailed the vendor about their status at this early date. There is a workaround, I'm sure, but it will certainly slow things down somewhat on auction day.

First, the good news. The system vendor has player files ready now.

Next, the bad news. I was informed last night that I am unavailable July 31. So you lose your even-man insurance but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to operate the system. I'm sure that somebody can handle it with perhaps a little phone support from me on game day if necessary.

Next, the bad news. I was informed last night that I am unavailable July 31. So you lose your even-man insurance but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to operate the system. I'm sure that somebody can handle it with perhaps a little phone support from me on game day if necessary.
I like the way you phrased that, roadie. How about the 30th? I finally got in touch with Jeff P. He's back but he has problems with some dates. He mentioned 8/20 as being good and even mentioned the Labor Day weekend while admitting that might be problematic.

I like the way you phrased that, roadie. How about the 30th? I finally got in touch with Jeff P. He's back but he has problems with some dates. He mentioned 8/20 as being good and even mentioned the Labor Day weekend while admitting that might be problematic.
My preference, and it should be noted yet again that my presence is hardly necessary, would be for the Labor Day weekend. While that may indeed eliminate some potential participants, this was designed as a league that could completely reconfigure itself every year without losing its overall stride. And personally I believe that this particular holiday is a gift from Odin. It's like the U.S. government gave us the Monday off before the first NFL game so we could hold our auctions.

With the delay in the finalizing of the CBA, it looks like free agency won't even start until Sat. the 30th, so we'd be flying a little blind that day. As for Labor Day weekend, I'm around, but one thing to keep in mind is that if we do this in a sports bar anywhere, that Saturday is the first of the college football season, so unless we had our own room, it might be difficult. Sunday should be ok though, just a couple of college games on.

guys are trying to get me divorced...I fell for this a couple years ago and agreed to an auction on my granddaughters B-day! :ph34r: Sat 7/30 is an absolute NO WAY for me...Sunday before Labor Day is a possibility

guys are trying to get me divorced...I fell for this a couple years ago and agreed to an auction on my granddaughters B-day! :ph34r: Sat 7/30 is an absolute NO WAY for me...Sunday before Labor Day is a possibility
Why don't you just bring the youngster with you? You'll still get to spend quality time with her while at the same time beginning the protege-creation process. Afterall, you won't be able run Misfits/Outlaws forever; there's no time like the present for breaking in your eventual successor. :P Sunday before Labor Day anyone?

Sunday before Labor day would probably work for me too. (With enough notice, I could probably work one of the Saturday dates as well)

'Fear The Turtle said:
'pablito said:
I'm OK on Sunday September 4. Just not early. :yawn:
I get it: you need to set aside Sunday a.m. to go to church in order to pray that you don't receive yet another Italian-administered ### whipping this year. :D
Chianti and fava beans this year dude. :football:

I can do pretty much anything, and my Grill Marx boys are ready to do anything...

...if we do the Draft at their place, neither Sat or Sun should be a problem - the sports bar in that strip is the Green Turtle, so 90+% of college football watchers will be watching there. There are TV's at Grill Marx, big ones too, but it is not designed to be Sports Bar 1st, Restaurant 2nd...it's very much a steak house and raw bar with sports on the TV's...

...and they have a semi-private area where we'd be able to auction with no problems at all.

The guy or guys I'm bringing in would probably be able to draft any day as well, I'll throw the dates being discussed out to them and see what sticks...

I can do pretty much anything, and my Grill Marx boys are ready to do anything...

...if we do the Draft at their place, neither Sat or Sun should be a problem - the sports bar in that strip is the Green Turtle, so 90+% of college football watchers will be watching there. There are TV's at Grill Marx, big ones too, but it is not designed to be Sports Bar 1st, Restaurant 2nd...it's very much a steak house and raw bar with sports on the TV's...

...and they have a semi-private area where we'd be able to auction with no problems at all.

The guy or guys I'm bringing in would probably be able to draft any day as well, I'll throw the dates being discussed out to them and see what sticks...
The bolded is excellent news.I appear to be good for Sept. 4.

UFB...closest guy to the restaurant, no? ;) :bye: JK, Paul...with folks traveling 3hrs or more, noon is the earliest we'd probably want to do somethingslightly better than 50/50 chance I have another player...FYII roll out Fri for vaca...will check the thread when I return

UFB...closest guy to the restaurant, no? ;) :bye: JK, Paul...with folks traveling 3hrs or more, noon is the earliest we'd probably want to do somethingslightly better than 50/50 chance I have another player...FYII roll out Fri for vaca...will check the thread when I return
Hmmm... I seem to getting more than a bit of #### on that. :boxing: It's just that I'll be playing 18 near Jacksonville on Saturday morning before the 10 hour drive back to Bethesda. Likely to be a little woozy that morning. :football:

:bag: so sorry...

you'll probably look like :X and need massive quantities of :banned:

:popcorn:

Just to confirm here on the boards...

I can be back in the league this year and draft any day that Labor Day weekend...

thanks,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread