What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG DC/Balt/Philly Auction League (2 Viewers)

Now, about THE LEAGUE...

...we're Drafting in 3 Weeks! Yee Haw!!!

...but I have to ask: are we firmly set on a venue? Is Bethesda still in play, or are we committed to Glenelg?

http://www.caddiesoncordell.com/aboutUs.asp

This is my friend's place, and the date is not a problem, but it would be great to commit one way or the other before too long. Probably not a bad idea to take a pulse reading and see what folks think...
Does someone have an "in" at Caddies? Getting a private area looks expensive as hell on their website. What's the setup gonna be like?
Yeah, my friends own the place...the primary Owner gets back from vacation tomorrow, and I'll firm it up with him..I know the date isn't a problem, and we will have the upstairs all to ourselves, which is plenty of room for our group. Unless we want food and bar service, I'm almost 100% sure there wouldn't be a charge for the upstairs since its not used on Saturday days anyway unless there's a big sporting event going on, which there isn't......if we wanted bar service we'd have to pay for the beers/drinks and tip the bartender and that would be that, I'm almost 100% sure.

I'll have more info on Monday...regardless, I'll have a backup venue for us to Draft in in same general Rockville/Bethesda area as Caddies just in case...I'm very handy like that.

Venue is nothing to worry about.
Sounds like you've got a handle on it. I'll leave it in your hands. You probably already know this but we'll need (1) access to electricity, (2) a projector, (3) a big screen or smooth wall and (4) seating for everybody within 12 feet of the magic box.

Access to electricity: check.

A Projector: Wow, that's not something I know anything about. As far as I know, I'm just providing a place to hold the Draft...

A Big Screen or Smooth Wall: check. Smooth Wall for sure, Big Screen a possibility.

Seating for everybody within 12 feet of magic box: check. I've drafted in this room plenty. It works.

How did we handle the projector part in Glenelg? Wasn't that just part of the magic box? Obviously we had one, so someone provided it...or is it something from the Glenelg house that can't travel?

Access to electricity: check.A Projector: Wow, that's not something I know anything about. As far as I know, I'm just providing a place to hold the Draft...A Big Screen or Smooth Wall: check. Smooth Wall for sure, Big Screen a possibility.Seating for everybody within 12 feet of magic box: check. I've drafted in this room plenty. It works.How did we handle the projector part in Glenelg? Wasn't that just part of the magic box? Obviously we had one, so someone provided it...or is it something from the Glenelg house that can't travel?
Sorry, I was just listing everything I needed out of habit. FearTheTurtle supplies the projector. If someone else has access to one, however, please bring it. This is a critical piece of equipment and we have no backup.

OK, we're gunning for Saturday 7/24 as the draft date

how'z that lookin'? :unsure:

good for 7/24:

roadkill--auction master/pinch-hitter

1--Fear the Turtle

2--ravnzfan

3--roarlions

4--pablito

5--Go DC Yourself

6--phillyfan

7--nittnaylion

8--CommuterMan

9--renesauz

10-MONKEY

11-Jeff

12-valhallan

resident staffer confirmed, but we need to take up a collection for limo to assure prompt arrival...after all, he does live <10mi from draft site, so why wouldn't he be an hr or so late for the party? :P :scared:
MONKEY is out, on vacationI'll PM Tbam, he mentioned wanting "in"

we draft THIS Saturday, 7/24 @Caddies!

we'll shoot for a noon gathering to get caught up--we want to start the auction promptly @1PM

who's bringing Jeff? :thumbup: :banned:

:scared:

how'z that lookin'? :unsure:

good for 7/24:

1--Fear the Turtle

2--ravnzfan

3--roarlions

4--pablito

5--Go DC Yourself

6--phillyfan

7--nittnaylion

8--CommuterMan

9--renesauz

10-MONKEY

11-Jeff

12-valhallan

resident staffer confirmed, but we need to take up a collection for limo to assure prompt arrival...after all, he does live <10mi from draft site, so why wouldn't he be an hr or so late for the party? :P :scared:

we'll shoot for a noon gathering to get caught up--we want to start the auction promptly @1PM

who's bringing Jeff? :unsure: :banned:

MONKEY and Tbam are out. I have yet to receive a confirmation response from either valhallan or Max Power. I shot out an email to ranvzfan's fill in from last year but no answer so far. Nittany, is your friend interested? I'll work on the projector. Shouldn't be a problem.

MONKEY and Tbam are out. I have yet to receive a confirmation response from either valhallan or Max Power. I shot out an email to ranvzfan's fill in from last year but no answer so far. Nittany, is your friend interested? I'll work on the projector. Shouldn't be a problem.
What about stp-d and thunderchickens? They both expressed some interest back on page 1 but wanted to wait until date/time/location were finalized. stp-d was hesitant coming from Philly, so the move to Bethesda will probably work against him, but still worth checking with both of them.

What about stp-d and thunderchickens? They both expressed some interest back on page 1 but wanted to wait until date/time/location were finalized. stp-d was hesitant coming from Philly, so the move to Bethesda will probably work against him, but still worth checking with both of them.
I sent messages to both. I'm definitely not optimistic about chickens, though, as he hasn't been on the FBG site since late April.

I sent messages to both. I'm definitely not optimistic about chickens, though, as he hasn't been on the FBG site since late April.
OK, thanks. Hopefully Max Power and valhallan are in. Valhallan sounded pretty certain a week ago.Maybe a posting on DynastyGuys would draw some late interest?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks. Hopefully Max Power and valhallan are in. Valhallan sounded pretty certain a week ago.Maybe a posting on DynastyGuys would draw some late interest?
Nice idea.

My guy's name is Johnny Vrana, and he goes by the Board Name 'Ringwraiths' over at No Mercy. Heading over there to PM/E-Mail him now.

He's also a member here, but I'm not sure what he goes by. Perhaps some of you recognize his name and know him from other Leagues?

He seemed pretty into the idea of the League when I last communicated with him. He's a good guy, and a solid Player, so I'm really hoping he's going to join our ranks...

Hey Guys, sorry for the late notice on this but it looks like I will not be able to make the draft this Saturday. A good friend of mine passed away last week and his family having a memorial service on Saturday. Given my relationship with the family and all, I don't feel right bailing on the service. I had hoped that it was going to be schedule at a time that would not interfere with the draft but that did not happen.

I know from earlier posts that the ranks are thinning so I hope that this does not cause more issues because I really enjoy this league and would definitely look to participate next season and I will keep my eyes open for postings to that effect.

Bill Weller

aka Commuterman

Hey Guys, sorry for the late notice on this but it looks like I will not be able to make the draft this Saturday. A good friend of mine passed away last week and his family having a memorial service on Saturday. Given my relationship with the family and all, I don't feel right bailing on the service. I had hoped that it was going to be schedule at a time that would not interfere with the draft but that did not happen.I know from earlier posts that the ranks are thinning so I hope that this does not cause more issues because I really enjoy this league and would definitely look to participate next season and I will keep my eyes open for postings to that effect.Bill Welleraka Commuterman
Completely understand. Sorry to hear the news. You'll most definitely be welcome back next year.

guys

i appreciate the invite

you are welcome to post on our league thread - philly auction league to try to recruit

if any of you want to fill our 13th and 14th spots also that would be great

Hey Guys, sorry for the late notice on this but it looks like I will not be able to make the draft this Saturday. A good friend of mine passed away last week and his family having a memorial service on Saturday. Given my relationship with the family and all, I don't feel right bailing on the service. I had hoped that it was going to be schedule at a time that would not interfere with the draft but that did not happen.I know from earlier posts that the ranks are thinning so I hope that this does not cause more issues because I really enjoy this league and would definitely look to participate next season and I will keep my eyes open for postings to that effect.Bill Welleraka Commuterman
Sorry you're out Bill, and for your loss.

Caddies is confirmed as of this afternoon.

I will be there before Noon O'Clock to help get things sorted out-ish...

...they have absolutely nothing going on either upstairs or downstairs, so we'll be able to be in either the upstairs room or the back of the dining room where they have the pull-down screen for their largest projection TV...

also, they mentioned something about having cables by which we might be able to connect the magic box to a giant screen TV?

So, I mentioned that my buddies own the place. My other buddy owns a company that does super-high-end Audio Visual stuff, and he's done all the work there. If you guys know how all that stuff works, our set up has the potential to be pretty cool...

how'z that lookin'? :shrug:

good for 7/24:

1--Fear the Turtle

2--ravnzfan

3--roarlions

4--pablito

5--Go DC Yourself

6--phillyfan

7--nittnaylion

8--CommuterMan

9--renesauz

10-MONKEY

11-Jeff

12-valhallan

who's bringing Jeff? :lmao: :banned:

I never received any sort of confirmation message, but I'm in.

Caddies is confirmed as of this afternoon.

I will be there before Noon O'Clock to help get things sorted out-ish...

...they have absolutely nothing going on either upstairs or downstairs, so we'll be able to be in either the upstairs room or the back of the dining room where they have the pull-down screen for their largest projection TV...

also, they mentioned something about having cables by which we might be able to connect the magic box to a giant screen TV?

So, I mentioned that my buddies own the place. My other buddy owns a company that does super-high-end Audio Visual stuff, and he's done all the work there. If you guys know how all that stuff works, our set up has the potential to be pretty cool...
:blackdot: Remember, you're talking about Turtle and roadie. The league's A/V guy now resides in Columbus, OH. Maybe one of the other guys can fiddle with it.

OK, I've just confirmed with my buddy Chris who sat in on the Draft last year, that he will be there on Saturday. He's a radio/TV/film guy, and I think he tried to work with the A/V stuff at last year's Draft (to no avail) but perhaps he'll be able to have better luck this time...

OK, I've just confirmed with my buddy Chris who sat in on the Draft last year, that he will be there on Saturday. He's a radio/TV/film guy, and I think he tried to work with the A/V stuff at last year's Draft (to no avail) but perhaps he'll be able to have better luck this time...
We stand at 10. Looking for more:roarlionsravnzfanpablitoFear The TurtlenittanylionJeff P.Go DC YourselfrenesauzphillyfanvalhallanroadieChris

Yikes, I meant Chris would be there to try and help out with the A/V stuff...I didn't mean as a drafter!

...but I still have feelers out...

my cell if there are any issues w/those running late:

410-274-4404

email to my Blackberry:

generalmanager@vzw.blackberry.net

I'll be there noon-ish, depending how my morning goes @work(which is usually ALL f'd up when I have something like a FBG's Auction draft scheduled!)

I hate 2 QB in 12 team leagues...but in ten it's a different ballgame...lol

I'll be leaving here in lesds than an hour. Hopefully I dont run into the traffic issues I did last year.

Should something happen en route (like 3 more people drop out and things get cancelled), my cell is 757-803-3798.

...and since I'm the local yokel who knows the landscape, here's mine: 301-537-4659...

...there's a parking garage right next door to Caddies there on Cordell Avenue, shouldn't be too packed on a quiet Saturday afternoon...

...entering Cordell by turning from Old Georgetown Road is easier than winding through Bethesda (parking garage will be on your right, Caddies after), but if you're going south down Rockville Pike, you can bear right on Woodmont Ave, and then turn right onto Cordell...you'll go through a 4 way stop, and Caddies will be on your left, parking garage just after...

...if you hit Old Georgetown Road, you've gone too far.

i am here..sitiing on the patio at caddies..brought school stuff to study so no worries...wearing red fbg t shirt..see ya'll in a little while1

looking more like 12:30 for me...

f'n guys @work just had to screw w/me this morning :rolleyes:

wait...I'm working... :(

catch you in a bit

Been a long...LONG time since I participated in a 10-Teamer. Took some getting used to. We'll see how this Team plays out, because in a 10-Teamer, no matter the prices, you HAVE to land some Studs, because everyone else is going to have their share. In retrospect, I could have pushed a little further on some Players, and ended up with a stronger Team...I really like my Team, don't get me wrong, but at face value it looks more like a Team from a 12-Team or larger League, and a little too weak for winning a 10-Teamer...

21 Players

WCOFF Scoring

Best Ball Lineup Maximization

Starting Lineup: 1/2/3/1 + 2 Flex (QB,RB,WR,TE - can't double them up on the same position)

QB: EManning/Cutler/Campbell: Cutler hit the board 1st, and I really wanted him in Best Ball. I got him at a decent price, but then Eli was one of the next Players nominated - it was my intent to nab either Cutler or EManning, and build a QBBC with Carson Palmer and Jason Campbell. I couldn't resist staying out of the Eli bidding, though. I got him at a fair price as well, but Palmer came a lot cheaper. I think if Eli had hit the board 1st, it would have been easier to say no to Cutler. Don't get me wrong, I like this QBBC a TON, I just could have used the extra money down the road.

RB: Portis/ABradsaw/MBush,McFadden/RBush, Hightower/Sproles: With WCOFF PPR, I wanted to focus on bargain pass-catching RB's, and bargains at RB in general. If I had been more cognizant of the 10-Teamer thing, I would have pushed the envelope on Ryan Grant. I got some nice buys, though, and if Portis has the kind of Season I think he can, I think I'll be OK. In effect I have 2 RBBC's: RB1BC (Portis/Bradshaw/MBush) and RB2BC (McFadden/RBush/Hightower/Sproles). I should have also pushed the envelope on Chester Taylor having him instead of either Hightower, McFadden or Sproles would have made me happier.

WR: Colston/BrMarshall/MSW/LEvans/Manningham/JJones(Packers): I planned on being strong here, and again I failed to recognize the 10-Team dynamic and didn't stay in the bidding and close the deal on Calvin Johnson, who I could have added to this group without losing anything, since I had $ left at the end. In many Leagues, I'd be thrilled to have a starting 3 of Colston/Marshall/MSW and an RB2BC of Evans/Manningham/Jones, but it's mediocre for a 10-Teamer...I also should have stayed in the bidding for Johnny Knox and Kevin Walter - I'd have much rather had them on the squad than Manningham and Jones.

TE: VDavis/ZMiller/KWinslow: I wanted to be able to flex TE every Week, and started strong with VDavis. I put Winslow out for bid to get others to bid him up, but wound up landing him for my opening bid of $10. My plan going in was to land the trio of VDavis/Celek/ZMiller, and I think I could have done it. I still think I'll land 2 TE in my Box Score often, just not every week, which was my intent going in.

PK & D/ST - All that matters here is that I threw the Jets out for $5 and landed them unexpectedly. I know better than that. A nice piece to have, but I overpaid, and when I look at the fact that I didn't 'overpay' or at least close the deal on Ryan Grant and Calvin Johnson, well...it's a little dumb.

I could have easily landed this Team:

EManning OR Cutler, along with Carson Palmer and Jason Campbell

Ryan Grant along with Portis, Bradshaw, Mike Bush, Rg Bush, Hightower and Chester Taylor (no McFadden or Sproles)

Calvin Johnson, along with Colston, BrMarshall, MSW, LEvans, Walter and/or Knox

VDavis, Celek and ZMiller

Now, THAT'S a 10-Teamer Team I would have been proud of.

Instead, sans Ryan Grant, Calvin Johnson and Celek, I think I might be in for plenty of Sundays where I score a healthy amount of points, but it winds up being just not enough to consistently win.

Well, at least it was a good time! Great seeing you guys, and good luck to everyone!

Pale Riders love to trade!

Oh yeah, FWIW:

EManning/26, Cutler/24, Campbell/5

Portis/12, ABradshaw/17, MBush/19, RgBush/18, Hightower/9, Sproles/4, McFadden/7

Colston/36, BMarshall/37, MSW/14, LEvans/8, Manningham/2, James Jones/10(final player, bidded max)

VDavis/21, ZMiller/14, KWinslow/10

Akers/2

NYJets/5

Great seeing everyone yesterday, looking forward to a fun year.

Don't know about my team, I am gonna need to do some wheeling and dealing, so if anyone sees anyone they like on my team, I love trading!

Used FBG's Rate my Team app, and shockingly, it said my QB's suck! Love my RB's, though I am probably gonna have to trade one of them to improve other areas.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Great seeing everyone yesterday, looking forward to a fun year.Don't know about my team, I am gonna need to do some wheeling and dealing, so if anyone sees anyone they like on my team, I love trading!Used FBG's Rate my Team app, and shockingly, it said my QB's suck! Love my RB's, though I am probably gonna have to trade one of them to improve other areas.Can't wait for the season to start.
Let's see, the first two comments about the auction have mentioned trade possibilities. I'm guardedly optimistic that we'll surpass last year's league trade total (one) in short order.

Been a long...LONG time since I participated in a 10-Teamer. Took some getting used to. We'll see how this Team plays out, because in a 10-Teamer, no matter the prices, you HAVE to land some Studs, because everyone else is going to have their share. In retrospect, I could have pushed a little further on some Players, and ended up with a stronger Team...I really like my Team, don't get me wrong, but at face value it looks more like a Team from a 12-Team or larger League, and a little too weak for winning a 10-Teamer...

21 Players

WCOFF Scoring

Best Ball Lineup Maximization

Starting Lineup: 1/2/3/1 + 2 Flex (QB,RB,WR,TE - can't double them up on the same position)

QB: EManning/Cutler/Campbell: Cutler hit the board 1st, and I really wanted him in Best Ball. I got him at a decent price, but then Eli was one of the next Players nominated - it was my intent to nab either Cutler or EManning, and build a QBBC with Carson Palmer and Jason Campbell. I couldn't resist staying out of the Eli bidding, though. I got him at a fair price as well, but Palmer came a lot cheaper. I think if Eli had hit the board 1st, it would have been easier to say no to Cutler. Don't get me wrong, I like this QBBC a TON, I just could have used the extra money down the road.

RB: Portis/ABradsaw/MBush,McFadden/RBush, Hightower/Sproles: With WCOFF PPR, I wanted to focus on bargain pass-catching RB's, and bargains at RB in general. If I had been more cognizant of the 10-Teamer thing, I would have pushed the envelope on Ryan Grant. I got some nice buys, though, and if Portis has the kind of Season I think he can, I think I'll be OK. In effect I have 2 RBBC's: RB1BC (Portis/Bradshaw/MBush) and RB2BC (McFadden/RBush/Hightower/Sproles). I should have also pushed the envelope on Chester Taylor having him instead of either Hightower, McFadden or Sproles would have made me happier.

WR: Colston/BrMarshall/MSW/LEvans/Manningham/JJones(Packers): I planned on being strong here, and again I failed to recognize the 10-Team dynamic and didn't stay in the bidding and close the deal on Calvin Johnson, who I could have added to this group without losing anything, since I had $ left at the end. In many Leagues, I'd be thrilled to have a starting 3 of Colston/Marshall/MSW and an RB2BC of Evans/Manningham/Jones, but it's mediocre for a 10-Teamer...I also should have stayed in the bidding for Johnny Knox and Kevin Walter - I'd have much rather had them on the squad than Manningham and Jones.

TE: VDavis/ZMiller/KWinslow: I wanted to be able to flex TE every Week, and started strong with VDavis. I put Winslow out for bid to get others to bid him up, but wound up landing him for my opening bid of $10. My plan going in was to land the trio of VDavis/Celek/ZMiller, and I think I could have done it. I still think I'll land 2 TE in my Box Score often, just not every week, which was my intent going in.

PK & D/ST - All that matters here is that I threw the Jets out for $5 and landed them unexpectedly. I know better than that. A nice piece to have, but I overpaid, and when I look at the fact that I didn't 'overpay' or at least close the deal on Ryan Grant and Calvin Johnson, well...it's a little dumb.

I could have easily landed this Team:

EManning OR Cutler, along with Carson Palmer and Jason Campbell

Ryan Grant along with Portis, Bradshaw, Mike Bush, Rg Bush, Hightower and Chester Taylor (no McFadden or Sproles)

Calvin Johnson, along with Colston, BrMarshall, MSW, LEvans, Walter and/or Knox

VDavis, Celek and ZMiller

Now, THAT'S a 10-Teamer Team I would have been proud of.

Instead, sans Ryan Grant, Calvin Johnson and Celek, I think I might be in for plenty of Sundays where I score a healthy amount of points, but it winds up being just not enough to consistently win.

Well, at least it was a good time! Great seeing you guys, and good luck to everyone!

Pale Riders love to trade!

Oh yeah, FWIW:

EManning/26, Cutler/24, Campbell/5

Portis/12, ABradshaw/17, MBush/19, RgBush/18, Hightower/9, Sproles/4, McFadden/7

Colston/36, BMarshall/37, MSW/14, LEvans/8, Manningham/2, James Jones/10(final player, bidded max)

VDavis/21, ZMiller/14, KWinslow/10

Akers/2

NYJets/5
;) Boy, great honest comments about your team, nittany. As the other half of the Calvin bidding war (I ended up with him), I have to admit that my plan was to get you to spend $. You were just so flush with cash. As we went on, though, I grew to like the idea of CJ on Schmalaga. I'm optimistic about the Detroit passing attack (I got Stafford, too) so I rode with it. Considering your position, I was surprised that you stopped. I would've only gone another buck or two, probably. Same thing happened with Jennings. In fact, maybe it's because of your proximity to me or whatever, but I got a little bit obsessed with your bankroll. I was glad when phillyfan picked up the gauntlet in the Marshall bidding. I didn't have the cash or the inclination to get into it with you again. Turns out that philly really wanted Marshall (I asked him later).

Anyway, your situation was a real eye opener for me. In my long time auction league, I'm usually the guy with the cash at the end and I may have been allowed to skate too much in the past, with just a few nasty burnings thrown in. Of course, it's a keeper league and the rules are different but I'm going to be little bit more wary going forward. Of course, I say that now...

I like my team: 3 QBs I like and a very solid WR corps. D. Williams and J. Charles are fine. I hope either Spiller or Forsett produces. My regrets are not big ones: I would've liked to add Hardesty to Harrison (I think I had the cash for that) and I would've liked a better 2nd TE to pair with the risky Owens. But I probably didn't have the cash for that, it turns out.

I'll return with an update when I finish 3-10 and out of the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread